• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Demon's Souls Remake PS5: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis!

The game looks absolutely fantastic! But let's be real here and not a Fanboy, I expected native 4K@60FPS at least from 1st Party and Exclusive Games. If Microsoft's 1st Party Games will not be native 4K@60FPS on XBox Series X than I will be really disappointed because I'm buying an XBox Series X not for resolutions even an XBox Series S can handle for $200.00 Dollars less than an XBox Series X.

Then what was with the RT during the demo

Not a chance that was ssr on the puddles and walls

There's a reflection here on the floor.

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h27m08s379.png

Is that ray traced?

Darius87

T Fire isn't very good but most game's don't implement fire well anyway.

The 1440p mode is 60FPS with no RT.
it's been already stated in psblog that it uses RT.
From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon’s Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.
try harder next time.

Md Ray

Never said these next gen consoles are slouches but to expect native 4K 60fps with all the bells and whistles on is wishful thinking.

There was no Raytracing last gen and this feature alone will stop many games doing native 4K 60fps.

Whatever advantage the PS5 GPU has over the 5700xt as you claim is lost because of this.

Lets not forget the 5700xt is best suited for 1440p to get 60fps. PS5 Will be the same unless features are turned off.
They're not the same. 5700 XT absolutely can't handle RT the way PS5 can. And it will be slower in rasterization too.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
With performance mode people should expect one of two things to happen or a combination of both.

1. Reduction in resolution
  2. Reduction in other parts of the visuals

With Demon Souls it appears they just reduced the resolution. However I'm seeing a debate on whether or not it has ray tracing. The problem is that I've seen some shots with what appears to be RT in it. So I really can't decide if the performance mode has RT or not and Digital Foundry has been wrong in the past. The comparisons between the visuals and performance modes should he interesting.

The Xbox fanboys are going to look pretty stupid as soon as they find out that the Xbox Series X is going to see similar results.

it's been already stated in psblog that it uses RT.

try harder next time.

Both modes have ray tracing? I know the graphics mode does but I'm still not sure about the performance mode.

The Xbox fanboys are going to look pretty stupid as soon as they find out that the Xbox Series X is going to see similar results.

On a positive note I do expect alot more games to give us the option of choosing between performance or fidelity. Anyways it's up to the devs to decide whether or not they want to give us 4K 60FPs in their games. If you want a guarantee of that you will have to build a powerful PC.

Last edited:

Reindeer

People expecting next gen visuals in demanding games at 60fps in 4K from 10/12tflop GPUs are either extremely ignorant or have no basic understanding of computational power needed to power these graphics. These consoles were always 4K30 and 1440p60 (1080p60 in really demanding games) consoles, thinking otherwise is quite frankly stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Pixel counting is seriously one of the dumbest things we do as gamers. And that would make DF the kings of stupidity

DF is not stupid, it's the people that take their findings and say a game's graphics are no good because a game doesn't hit a target resolution they want are stupid. Uses your eyes people, the game is very detailed. Beside DF is always preaching frame rate over resolution, they have been very consistent with that.

Alphagear

They're not the same. 5700 XT absolutely can't handle RT the way PS5 can. And it will be slower in rasterization too.

That was the point.

5700xt without raytracing is a 1440p 60fps card.

PS5 GPU with the addition of resource hungry raytracing will not be any better.

Even the 2080ti will struggle with next gen games at 4K 60fps with raytracing ON.

Last edited:

Yoboman

DF is not stupid, it's the people that take their findings and say a game's graphics are no good because a game doesn't hit a target resolution they want are stupid. Uses your eyes people, the game is very detailed. Beside DF is always preaching frame rate over resolution, they have been very consistent with that.
It is dumb, we zoom in 800% to find some barely visible pixelation and then still don't get the resolutions correct. What's the point?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
While at it, let's expose those pseudo so-called "experts" at DF:

Just for fun guys, use your use, trust your eyes. I'll use 2 screenshots, one is claimed by DF to be native 4K (Halo Infinite), and another claimed to be 1440p with no evidence but BS (Demon's Souls), and will chop the screenshot:

Demon's Souls:

vlcsnap-2020-09-28-00h01m46s240.png

Halo Infinite:

vlcsnap-2020-09-28-00h18m25s787.png

800%:

Why DS is having more pixels, smaller? It's either DS is 8K or Halo is 1440p but DF were too tired to acknowledge!

How the fuck did they come up with 1440p? And they can't see RT now? Well, explain this:

vlcsnap-2020-09-27-18h09m45s143.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h37m50s520.png

gfdhfghgh.jpg

adsa.jpg

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg

lllllllllllllll.jpg

Last edited:

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
It is dumb, we zoom in 800% to find some barely visible pixelation and then still don't get the resolutions correct. What's the point?
I agree pixel counting is not why I watch DF, I care about their frame rate testing. Unstable frame rate is a game killer for me.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Then what was with the RT during the demo

Not a chance that was ssr on the puddles and walls

The developers never mentioned RT in that demo. I guess it *could* run reflections in RT mode but I would be surprised for it to run at 60FPS. I would never "guess" like you guys are doing. RT is going to be pretty difficult for most people to pinpoint. Reflections is the more obvious one but SSR can look just as good if you can "see" them in view.

Md Ray

While at it, let's expose those pseudo so-called "experts" at DF:

Just for fun guys, use your use, trust your eyes. I'll use 2 screenshots, one is claimed by DF to be native 4K (Halo Infinite), and another claimed to be 1440p with no evidence but BS (Demon's Souls), and will chop the screenshot:

Demon's Souls:

Halo Infinite:

800%:

Why DS is having more pixels, smaller? It's either DS is 8K or Halo is 1440p but DF were too tired to acknowledge!

How the fuck did they come up with 1440p? And they can't see RT now? Well, explain this:

vlcsnap-2020-09-27-18h09m45s143.png

vlcsnap-2020-09-18-16h37m50s520.png

gfdhfghgh.jpg

adsa.jpg

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.jpg

lllllllllllllll.jpg
Bo, are the webm versions from YT uncompressed?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo, are the webm versions from YT uncompressed?

Nothing on youtube is uncompressed. But it's the best possible version. Any video you upload it gets turned into WebM via VP9 codec, which is extremely efficient at keeping the size down. Otherwise, 1 minute would mean 750MB, so 4 minutes is at least 3GB, and 8 minutes be 6GB. And that's 8-bit, while I believe they are 10-bit, so much more.

LordOfChaos

The most shocking thing about this video for me is when they showed Bloodborne. It looks so much worse than the new Demon's Souls. Next gen really is here.

Yep, I love that game, but it looked incredibly dated in comparison. Maybe all new From Software games should just go to Bluepoint immediately, maybe before they're even released, lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This forum's trolls are coming out of the woodwork lately.

It's 4K, and Halo Infinite was actually 1440p as it seems, according to hard evidence:

It's the other way around.

The real thing is PS5 should support 1440p natively as many games would probably reduce resolution from 4K to 1440p for performance modes but I'm pretty sure Sony won't do it, they didn't do it for PS4 Pro too although many games (ex - TLoU2) ran natively at 1440p. TAA solutions won't be great in every game so it'll nice to have more native resolutions instead of relying on anti aliasing techniques every time.

If they can't even do that please downscale from 4K when using 1440p displays, not the upscaling from 1080p bullshit!

Vtecomega

Banned
I went and purchased a flagship model Hisense tv out of impulse that doesn't support hdmi 2.1. Knowing that most games next gen will run at 60hz makes me somewhat relieved lol.

Codes 208

The real thing is PS5 should support 1440p natively as many games would probably reduce resolution from 4K to 1440p for performance modes but I'm pretty sure Sony won't do it, they didn't do it for PS4 Pro too although many games (ex - TLoU2) ran natively at 1440p. TAA solutions won't be great in every game so it'll nice to have more native resolutions instead of relying on anti aliasing techniques every time.

If they can't even do that please downscale from 4K when using 1440p displays, not the upscaling from 1080p bullshit!
1440p at 60fps is a fair rez/fps for performance modes.

but for modes running 30fps, that shit better be 4k

Skifi28

Gold Member
Ooooooooo...I just thought about something. I wonder if the character creation as been revamped. Easily the weakest part of any souls game.

I would imagine it'll be much easier for our creations to resemble humans. Though they should totally keep the ability to create green/blue/pink monstrosities.

Zuzu

I thought it was running at 4k & 60fps and I was a bit stunned that the PS5 could pull that off with those visuals. But, now it makes sense - 1440p & 60fps. This is more in line with what I expected. It still looks terrific though.

Top Bottom