• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Demon's Souls Remake PS5: Gameplay Trailer Tech Breakdown + First Next-Gen Frame-Rate Analysis!

Lol what? Sony and Microsoft promised last year that both consoles would run games at 4K 120 fps.

It is technically feasible by reducing graphical detail. And it might happen for specific titles like racing games. But if you think games are going to consistently run at 4K/120 or even 4K/60 on consoles...I don't know what to tell ya.

Grinchy

Banned
There's something very satisfying about being genuinely hyped for this awesome launch game while others are stretching to try to tear it down because they don't have anything to be genuinely hyped for.

I know it's not "value," but it sure does look great as a game that we will get to have on launch day.

FunkMiller

The only thing people are able to shitbag about this game is the scale of the resolution and fps... that’s all you need to know that it’s a genuinely impressive piece of game design. When the only complaints are if its a bit more pixelly, or a bit more framey.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What do you want? A 3080 equivalent GPU on a $500 console? Even the 2080 or a 2080ti can't do 4k 60fps in all games. Do you want 4k 60fps at low settings? I prefer 1440p 60fps with higher setting. Even a 1440p DLSS 2.0 looks better than a native 4k res. I don't understand the obsession with the 4k crap.
Because 4K looks better. However, I will glady drop the resolution down to 1800p or even 1440p if it means 60+ fps.

Wasnt the Ue5 demo at 1440p? Qnd they were aiming for 60fps gave the idea that it was totally possible with further optimizations.

Would anyone complain about UE5 DEMO visuals because it was not Native 4k? Looks mindblowing as it is.

Azurro

Banned
if 1440p/60 is more than acceptable, does this mean the Series S won't be holding anything back this new gen?

If this is a genuine question, no, on the contrary. A machine with 2.5 times the teraflop performance, more memory with much more bandwidth, faster CPU and some of the fastest I/o pipelines out there is able to do that at 1440p.

The S is more of a crossgen machine.

Jtibh

Banned
I can fuck myself with both hands up my ass i still wont get it.

Cuz there is no ps5 to buy😠😠

Last edited:

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
1440p/60 is not acceptable for XSS, but it is for PS5! Disappointing they couldnt get this 4k60
I think people said that about XSS because MS were clearly bullshitting everyone, as we can see by the more powerful PS5 hitting 1440p/60.

dotnotbot

A ps3 remake at 80 euros, and people saying “yeah, its fine!”.

That's because it's made with love and care. And for a vast majority of audience it's a brand new game.

I would never buy new Far Cry or COD for 80 euros, but this is so worth every cent.

But that's just my preference, don't like the price - don't buy it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm talking about on PC.

Depends on the scalers in the display. Monitors tend to not have the hottest scalers unless you get a high end one.

TVs like Sony, etc, have fantastic scalers in them which help clean up the image. Also, this could be 1440 with reconstruction, not just straight up 1440p native like most PC games.

Elog

Because 4K looks better. However, I will glady drop the resolution down to 1800p or even 1440p if it means 60+ fps.

You need to put those resolutions in context. If you have a 65 inch 4K TV you cannot discriminate between 1440-1800p and 4K at the appropriate view distance for the size (i.e. 8-10 feet). For console gamers the 4k race is marketing stupidity (since the majority is using their TVs). 1440p-1800p is the perfect console resolution range.

If you play on a monitor the story is different since you sit so close.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wasnt the Ue5 demo at 1440p? Qnd they were aiming for 60fps gave the idea that it was totally possible with further optimizations.

Would anyone complain about UE5 DEMO visuals because it was not Native 4k? Looks mindblowing as it is.

And people were blown away and thought it was 4K until they were TOLD it was 1440p. Then some of the narratives shifted.

:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

Md Ray

People expecting better textures, effects, framerates, resolution and raytracing all combined in a game are living in a fantasy world.

The generation jumps are not as big you think.

You can't have them all.

These consoles are at best on par with a 5700xt/2070 super(PS5) and a 2080(XSX)

Those cards manage to do 4k 60fps on current gen games. YES current gen games.

Add raytracing and better textures/effects and you will have to make a sacrifice.

It definitely is a big jump, in terms of CPU, SSD, and its surrounding I/O architecture opens up doors for things not possible on current-gen hardware. The new R&C game shows some of that. The CPU is nowhere near utilized to its max potential just yet. The PS4/XB1 weren't that big of a jump in those departments. The PS4's CPU was actually a downgrade from PS3's, in some ways. Storage, I/O tech largely remained the same across PS3 to PS4.

PS5's GPU is definitely better than 5700 XT, not on par. I mean come on. There are some specific customizations that won't even be in RDNA 2 PC GPUs like the cache scrubbers. Sure, it may be a bit much to ask for RT, native 4K, better effects, textures + 60fps all combined, but these new GPUs inside PS5/XSX are also no slouch compared to ~8 year old GCN-based GPUs that are inside PS4/XB1.

Maybe, but try thinking about it another way: as developers get to grips with the hardware they will find more and more ways to improve and optimise their engines. At the start of the gen you're always at some degree of disadvantage.

We've continually seen devs do more and more with hardware over its lifespan.
EDIT: M Montauk here makes a very good point.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You need to put those resolutions in context. If you have a 65 inch 4K TV you cannot discriminate between 1440-1800p and 4K at the appropriate view distance for the size (i.e. 8-10 feet). For console gamers the 4k race is marketing stupidity (since the majority is using their TVs). 1440p-1800p is the perfect console resolution range.

I have a 55 inch LG OLED and yes you can. 1440p has a softness around the edges. It's not extreme by any means and still looks damn good, but it is there. To the untrained eye, I am inclined to agree and most likely wouldn't care. Having good AA can reduce the difference drastically though, and I am pretty happy with my image quality when the resolution is set to 1440p, but setting to like 1620p is where it becomes hard to notice the difference.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Such a sexy game.

60fps looks undeniably smooth in this game, maybe I'm just not used to seeing such visuals at 60fps.

JLB

Banned
That's because it's made with love and care. And for a vast majority of audience it's a brand new game.

I would never buy new Far Cry or COD for 80 euros, but this is so worth every cent.

“love and care”? what is this bullshit?
This is an existing game, NOT made from the scratch. It wouldnt be full price.
You can pay as much as you want, but 80 for a remake is greedy as fuck.

Elog

I have a 55 inch LG OLED and yes you can. 1440p has a softness around the edges. It's not extreme by any means and still looks damn good, but it is there. To the untrained eye, I am inclined to agree and most likely wouldn't care. Having good AA can reduce the difference drastically though, and I am pretty happy with my image quality when the resolution is set to 1440p, but setting to like 1620p is where it becomes hard to notice the difference.

Of course you can - if you sit closer than you should. That is the point.

The eyes ability to see two black dots as separate by a perfectly healthy eye is very measurable and is a function of view distance.

Then the second point: If your GPU is feeding the TV with a 1440p signal (i.e. not doing upscaling to a 4K signal before sending it), it will look weird. Your OLED only natively shows 1080p and 4K resolutions. If you let the TV handle the down-/up-sampling it looks not ok in my book.

Senua

Gold Member
Not being native 4K at 60fps is a little embarrassing. The console will turn into a 1080p machine like the Series S by mid gen.
cB5ZDEv.gif

of course you can, unless you have eyesight problems that glasses cannot fix.
oh-well, looks like we are entering the "you sit waaay too close to your tv, mang" chants
before this gen is even started

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Haven't watched the video yet, do they already have a ps5?
No they just analyzed the trailer. They do this a lot on their channel and repeatedly mention that they will need to confirm the performance on the release version in the video.

Lethal01

I will have to remind some people, especially those that were very hostile towards me about this, that 2018 Dark Souls remaster,
even though it was not at this exact level of graphics, DID manage an absolute locked 60fps even under all boss fights,
at 3200X1800 instead of 2560X1440. so, with 150% the pixel count.
And that was on xbone x, not next gen

I can play Mario 64 at 6k. Don't be an idiot.
Don't be you.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Imagine seething so hard over this awesome looking, next-gen launch title, that you have to come up with all these absurd rationalizations.

Instead of just buying an Xbox and a PS, and enjoying it with the rest of us.

We see right through you, fanboys.

iW7CUOz.png

Last edited:

Lethal01

Yes the game looks beautiful. No question. Definitely one of the prettiest game at launch.

But let's be real here. 1440p is NOT what we expect from a next gen platform. Period. So let's stop those excuses for Sony. If one year ago we said games at launch would be 1440p, we would have find it unacceptable.

It's what we expected, people were idiots if they were expecting native 4k 60fps combined with these huge boosts in graphical effects.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Day 1 for me. Preordered for £65 which is the best price I could find. Won’t be paying over the odds for any other games if I don’t think it’s worth it but this looks worth it for me. Picking this up with Cyberpunk and my PS5 on the 19th November and won’t need much else till after Christmas!

Lethal01

3 feet feels better though. No reason not to sit closer.
Sitting closer is like multiplier for tv size :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:
Imagine seething so hard over this awesome looking, next-gen launch title, that you have to come up with all these absurd rationalizations.

I didn't answer to you before, but I will do now.
There is absolutely nothing "next-gen" here. The gameplay is carbon-copy of the ps3 game, opponent to opponent, limitation to limitation. its mainly a visual upgrade.
I can understand that it is the flagship of ps5 launch, but let's not be absurd here with these "next-gen" wordings.

FeiRR

Banned

iW7CUOz.png
Does it now require two consoles to be played? Because otherwise your rant makes no sense. We're talking about a PS5 title. Why not throw a Switch and a dishwasher into the mix?

S0ULZB0URNE

iW7CUOz.png
They mad they have no games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
There is absolutely nothing "next-gen" here. The gameplay is carbon-copy of the ps3 game, opponent to opponent, limitation to limitation. its mainly a visual upgrade.
I can understand that it is the flagship of ps5 launch, but let's not be absurd here with these "next-gen" wordings.

And the goalpost moves.

But you do agree that these are next-gen graphics? Because that’s what we’re trying to talk about, while you’re waving a copy of Dark Souls, and saying, ‘this runs 4K 60! What’s up with PS5!’.

It’s hilarious, but not in the way you want it to be. You look absolutely pathetic.

Does it now require two consoles to be played? Because otherwise your rant makes no sense. We're talking about a PS5 title. Why not throw a Switch and a dishwasher into the mix?

Lol. Okay, Officer Doofy.

Alphagear

It definitely is a big jump, in terms of CPU, SSD, and its surrounding I/O architecture opens up doors for things not possible on current-gen hardware. The new R&C game shows some of that. The CPU is nowhere near utilized to its max potential just yet. The PS4/XB1 weren't that big of a jump in those departments. The PS4's CPU was actually a downgrade from PS3's, in some ways. Storage, I/O tech largely remained the same across PS3 to PS4.

PS5's GPU is definitely better than 5700 XT, not on par. I mean come on. There are some specific customizations that won't even be in RDNA 2 PC GPUs like the cache scrubbers. Sure, it may be a bit much to ask for RT, native 4K, better effects, textures + 60fps all combined, but these new GPUs inside PS5/XSX are also no slouch compared to ~8 year old GCN-based GPUs that are inside PS4/XB1.

EDIT: M Montauk here makes a very good point.

Never said these next gen consoles are slouches but to expect native 4K 60fps with all the bells and whistles on is wishful thinking.

There was no Raytracing last gen and this feature alone will stop many games doing native 4K 60fps.

Whatever advantage the PS5 GPU has over the 5700xt as you claim is lost because of this.

Lets not forget the 5700xt is best suited for 1440p to get 60fps. PS5 Will be the same unless features are turned off.

Since when has the definition of "next-gen" included game mechanics?

Top Bottom