• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry impressions on Forza Horizon 5

skit_data

Lots of ways to play this game, pc, Series S, Series X etc.

Am sure everyone will have access to their games.
That’s true, I’ve been thinking about getting Gamepass Ultimate to play stuff via Xcloud on my iMac (I’ve got windows installed via bootcamp so it shouldn’t be any problems) once more of Xbox 1st party games hit the ground and if Xcloud works fine in Sweden.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm legit struggling to see the difference between FH5 and 4. . .at least from a couch on a large screen. Both are good looking games. I'm sure there's more going on under the hood, but at some point (particularly in a racing game) there seems to be only so many improvements you can make between games (more detailed dirt, better "shadow maps" - I'm just throwing out words here - on the interior knobs of your car).

. . .in terms of graphical fidelity absolutely looks stunning; but there are absolutely better next generation showcases out there.

Kudos to MS for putting this on STEAM instead of waiting so that you have less than a year between game release versions on the platform.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Can't wait to see the pc version, already pre orderd the premium edition for pc. This will make my 3080 ti and my Logitech g920 work.

Next gen started for me the first time I booted up one of these consoles and the games loaded crazy fast
Yeah this was also a holy shit moment for me, got to play on my nephews PS5 last week and everything was almost instant. Hope they can bring those loading times on pc, because once you get used to it it is actually anoying to go back to slower loading times.

elliot5

That’s true, I’ve been thinking about getting Gamepass Ultimate to play stuff via Xcloud on my iMac (I’ve got windows installed via bootcamp so it shouldn’t be any problems) once more of Xbox 1st party games hit the ground and if Xcloud works fine in Sweden.
You don't need windows to run xCloud, not sure why the boot camp matters. Unless you mean as a fallback

Fredrik

Holy crap that was awesome to both see and hear, a flat line on both 30 (Quality) and 60 (Performance) fps 🤤

I’m still interested to know about the PC version. I don’t have the triple screen rig up anymore but I imagine I’ll still play on PC a bit if the TV is occupied.

Last edited:
CheeseCake did not mention "consoles only"

It was said "next gen graphics"

We got first next gen graphics, photorealism and fidelity with Flight Sim back in 2020.
Lol if yall want to really keep going with this, next gen started with The Last of Us Part 2 and then Ghosts. Never ending road, tireless debate 😂 all those games looked great, flight sim included

Last edited:

Utherellus

I'm legit struggling to see the difference between FH5 and 4. . .at least from a couch on a large screen. Both are good looking games. I'm sure there's more going on under the hood, but at some point (particularly in a racing game) there seems to be only so many improvements you can make between games (more detailed dirt, better "shadow maps" - I'm just throwing out words here - on the interior knobs of your car).

. . .in terms of graphical fidelity absolutely looks stunning; but there are absolutely better next generation showcases out there.

Kudos to MS for putting this on STEAM instead of waiting so that you have less than a year between game release versions on the platform.
Global Illumination and density of the world is miles better in FH5

FH4 looked amazing for sure. But it felt flat in lighting. Also it struggled in environment fidelity.

Topher

Gold Member
CheeseCake did not mention "consoles only"

It was said "next gen graphics"

We got first next gen graphics, photorealism and fidelity with Flight Sim back in 2020.

"Nexts gen" doesn't translate very well to PC though. There isn't one single hardware release that defines the start of a "generation" in PC like there is in consoles. So when someone says "next gen" then that is typically a console reference.

Razvedka

Banned
Finally, we're getting another game that really pushes just how great this generation of hardware can be. In my opinion, the first and only so far was Ratchet. This is a real spectacle, I mean we are getting graphics now that are looking so obscenely good its blurring the lines of reality in some instances.

Good going Forza.

Have you met the Driveclub fans on this very forum?
Oh yeah! The ones who love small GIFs of rainy tracks and worships at the alter of 30fps. They are the vegetarians of the gaming world imo (no offense to any 30fps lovers. I don't and never will understand your preference but you do you!)

Seriously, even in the YouTube video I could feel my eyes relaxing when Alex kicked off the performance mode footage. Good thing is the pop-in doesn't look that much worse in performance mode.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Also one thing that i noticed and doesn't get enough credit is the sound in this game. Gaddamn the sound of the cars and the environments are soo rich and high quality its insane when you hear it on a high quality headset or speakers. The way you hear the sound and all the ego's from far away or cars flying by is as impressive as it looks. The RT audio is really not a joke in this game.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
"next gen graphic" began with Demons Souls back in 2020.

Also, reading the article, I find it hilarious that they mention how good the "30 fps" implementation is....

If this were a PS game... 30 fps in gran turismo... I have a feeling these guys would be saying very different stuff.

Imagine having next gen hardward and excuse a racer with 30 FPS WTF!!
Forza Horizon has traditionally been a 30fps racer. FH is not really like Gran Turismo at all. Forza is the equivalent to Gran Turismo. And bringing up Demon Souls? You are a fuckin' fanboy, bro.

Topher

Gold Member
What about 40fps 120hz quality mode!?

Ron Burgundy What GIF

Fredrik

I’m in the northern parts and it works but for me it’s pretty bad, lots of micro stutters and image artifacts, both Stadia and Geforce Now is a ton better. I tried to find a server map but couldn’t find any solid data on the nearest server.

Jaysen

Banned
"next gen graphic" began with Demons Souls back in 2020.

just saying teresa giudice GIF

Also, reading the article, I find it hilarious that they mention how good the "30 fps" implementation is....
Im Sorry What Season 1 Episode 7 GIF by Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist's Extraordinary Playlist

If this were a PS game... 30 fps in gran turismo... I have a feeling these guys would be saying very different stuff.

Imagine having next gen hardward and excuse a racer with 30 FPS WTF!!
You mean like they did with Ratchets 30 fps mode? Fix your brain, it’s stuck on fanboy mode.

Tiamat2san

Just watch the video.

There's a segment where they show the difference between 60 fps and 30 fps ... my god I don't care if it's native 4k or not, the difference for a RACER of this magnitude is insane. They should have gone dynamic 4k and 60fps. I could never imagine myself playing Forza OR GRAN TURISMO for that matter at 30 fps... sweet jesus.. NO.
For horizon i don’t mind 30fps, for forza main séries only 60fps for me.

i played horizon 4 at 30fps , their motion blur is excellent and since the gameplay is less « tight » and more arcade it’s ok and I prefer the nice crispy graphics.

i also wish they could make a dynamic resolution mode.

Last edited:

Vasto

Also one thing that i noticed and doesn't get enough credit is the sound in this game. Gaddamn the sound of the cars and the environments are soo rich and high quality its insane when you hear it on a high quality headset or speakers. The way you hear the sound and all the ego's from far away or cars flying by is as impressive as it looks. The RT audio is really not a joke in this game.

I am looking to get me a Dolby Atmos setup this holiday to really get immersed in the audio that these games are putting out.

You go ahead and take a break. 3 years from now I'll be playing Forza Horizon 6, hopefully in Japan.
dont you feel theyre very samey samey ( like all games tbh )....dunno i dont get much game time week by week so i just feel like im always completing races here and there on forza horizon lol

Last edited:

elliot5

I'm not really into racing games but isn't 30 FPS a little underwhelming for a racer?...especially when we consider things like latency and response times in competitive races then 30 FPS just doesn't cut it, the same would be the case with first person shooters.

Also DF all of sudden praising a 30 FPS implementation seems rich since they rarely used to give such compliments to Playstation's first party games, Alex has even downplayed the Sony first party visuals because they were "only 30 FPS".
Did you even watch the video

Jaysen

Banned
I'm not really into racing games but isn't 30 FPS a little underwhelming for a racer?...especially when we consider things like latency and response times in competitive races then 30 FPS just doesn't cut it, the same would be the case with first person shooters.

Also DF all of sudden praising a 30 FPS implementation seems rich since they rarely used to give such compliments to Playstation's first party games, Alex has even downplayed the Sony first party visuals because they were "only 30 FPS".
What a load of BS. They praised tons of PS4 titles that were 30. Seriously, what’s wrong with some of you that you think this is an actual war?

Are you trying to compare an open world game to a linear Souls game?

Completely different games. Plus, when the underlying bones of the game are already there and you’re just reskinning it, that’s not nearly as impressive a feat as what is being done with FH5, an open world game.

Sad that Microsoft showing off a truly next gen game has certain folks triggered—this is a good thing for everyone.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
It’s sad that people are already forgetting that Returnal exists. It’s 60 fps, very stylish, and animates amazingly. Forza is probably the one game that could unseat Returnal as my GOTY.

Last edited:

elliot5

Completely different games. Plus, when the underlying bones of the game are already there and you’re just reskinning it, that’s not nearly as impressive a feat as what is being done with FH5, an open world game.

Sad that Microsoft showing off a truly next gen game has certain folks triggered—this is a good thing for everyone.
No need to degrade demons souls really. It's a stunning game even if the gameplay bones were there. I mean, it's not like horizon 5 is made from scratch. It also has underlying bones already there. It's also still cross gen not "truly next gen", albeit still fantastic.

They are both great games and worthy of praise by bluepoint and playground. 👍

dont you feel theyre very samey samey ( like all games tbh )....dunno i dont get much game time week by week so i just feel like im always completing races here and there on forza horizon lol

There are a lot of changes made game to game.

Racing games are my favorite genre, I honestly couldn't get bored of them. If anything I could do another new one every year if the quality could stay high.

Hugare

The console warring in here is just embarassing. Grow up, people.

I dont have an Xbox or capable PC to play this thing, but damn I wish I had

This looks bonkers. And I'm not even into racing games. I would just want to drive through that forest

Best looking racing game by a MILE. I'm also curious how they are going to be able to run this on a XOne

Playground is the best studio under MS umbrella ,imo

elliot5

The console warring in here is just embarassing. Grow up, people.

I dont have an Xbox or capable PC to play this thing, but damn I wish I had

This looks bonkers. And I'm not even into racing games. I would just want to drive through that forest

Best looking racing game by a MILE. I'm also curious how they are going to be able to run this on a XOne

Playground is the best studio under MS umbrella ,imo
There's always streaming it lol

Fredrik

cant wait to play it....but after this one, the franchise needs a long break imho.
FH4 came out in 2018, I think 3 years is a big enough break, as long as they can find cool areas for us to drive in they can keep pushing out new titles.

What I want though is some nitro boosts. They could have it in a more closed up arcade mode so it don’t break anything.

And proper mud physics!
They should hire some old Evolution Studios dev or maybe someone from the Mudrunners team. Deep tire tracks and mud flying and building up on the cars is the puzzle piece that has been missing for a long time now.

Last edited:

elliot5

FH4 came out in 2018, I think 3 years is a big enough break, as long as they can find cool areas for us to drive in they can keep pushing out new titles.

What I want though is some nitro boosts. They could have it in a more closed up arcade mode so it don’t break anything.

And proper mud physics!
They should hire some old Evolution Studios dev or maybe someone from the Mudrunners team. Deep tire tracks and mud flying and building up on the cars is the puzzle piece that has been missing for a long time now.
Yeah I hope in the next iteration the "physicality" of the tires on the ground is improved. Idk if it's the contact shadows or lack of particle detail like creating water deformities when driving through, but it looks a little flat there.

Fahdis

Oh yeah! The ones who love small GIFs of rainy tracks and worships at the alter of 30fps. They are the vegetarians of the gaming world imo (no offense to any 30fps lovers. I don't and never will understand your preference but you do you!)

Imagine being this butthurt about a console game from 2014 😂😂😂 its fucking hilarious. What you can't appreciate in motion for DC is not our problem.

Also if anyone had to dethrone the king from LAST GEN, then I am glad its the FH series, well deserved because it has been amazing since FH3.

I liked what they said about performance mode looking 'gamey' when they were side by side the performance mode just looked like the best mode to me. Guess I like my car games 'gamey'
Less than 2 weeks away!

Imagine being this butthurt about a console game from 2014 😂😂😂 its fucking hilarious. What you can't appreciate in motion for DC is not our problem.

Also if anyone had to dethrone the king from LAST GEN, then I am glad its the FH series, well deserved because it has been amazing since FH3.
Whoops. Despite saying no offense and saying you can enjoy whatever you please, I've seem to have angered the 30fps DC cult leader! So defensive!

Top Bottom