• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry impressions on Forza Horizon 5

Fahdis

Whoops. Despite saying no offense and saying you can enjoy whatever you please, I've seem to have angered the 30fps DC cult leader! So defensive!

So you're telling me you could have just enjoyed the FH5 thread without having to mention things that physically hurt you like when someone shows you a DC Physical Case in real life. But some of you chose to downplay gamers that love a LAST GEN game in the thread for no reason. Its nice to play victim bruh, go play it somewhere else. Yes, people can like DC and FH at the same time. Also, thanks, seems like Ive been promoted to being a cult leader from a fanboy it seems 😇. Ok, jan. Now please stick to the thread topic.

Fredrik

Yeah I hope in the next iteration the "physicality" of the tires on the ground is improved. Idk if it's the contact shadows or lack of particle detail like creating water deformities when driving through, but it looks a little flat there.
The water is deformed going by this video, maybe not with proper water physics though, but you’re still mostly driving ontop of the terrain. There is so much they could do in this area. How the tires, suspension and mud all interact and work together in Mudrunners/Snowrunners makes all big racing games look bad.

skneogaf

The 120hz setting should allow 40fps mode like on ratchet and clank. That was such a good idea for console players.

Plus the xbox supports vrr so when do we see unlocked fps on xbox series games?

So you're telling me you could have just enjoyed the FH5 thread without having to mention things that physically hurt you like when someone shows you a DC Physical Case in real life. But some of you chose to downplay gamers that love a LAST GEN game in the thread for no reason. Its nice to play victim bruh, go play it somewhere else. Yes, people can like DC and FH at the same time. Also, thanks, seems like Ive been promoted to being a cult leader from a fanboy it seems 😇. Ok, jan. Now please stick to the thread topic.
It will probably help if you don't have so much of your identity wrapped up with a game. Chillax. Besides I was just answering a question someone else raised ;)

Yes and no.

The complete sandbox had to be designed for FH5. Play modes and cars? Yeah they can reuse those assets, especially since they spent years recording them in 4K for future Forza games…not unlike what Poly did themselves for future GT games.

As good as Demon Souls was, graphically, they didn’t have to create levels or a sandbox to play in—it was already done for them. It was a quick, well done shine job for Sony’s console launch. Completely different than FH5’s situation.

And FH5 is truly a next gen title, even if it runs on XB1. I mean, people still consider the next GoW and HZD titles to be next gen, even though they’re coming out in PS4. The game looks like the best next gen title out there, bar none.

I get that this may grind your gears if all you have is a PS5, but those of us that are console agnostic are loving the effort on MS’ side.

Last edited:

Barakov

puppet GIF

Can’t wait for this, far and away the most impressive game of this gen visually it seems.

I’m going to try it on both Series X and PC I think, just to see the difference (if any). My 2080 Super rarely gets a workout… My 77” C1 arrives next Saturday too, just in time.

Last edited:

elliot5

The water is deformed going by this video, maybe not with proper water physics though, but you’re still mostly driving ontop of the terrain. There is so much they could do in this area. How the tires, suspension and mud all interact and work together in Mudrunners/Snowrunners makes all big racing games look bad.
There's particles for water splashing and kinda like wakes but it doesn't wrap 'around' the tire if you get what I mean. It looks fine for a racer but yeah

Another thing I've noticed from this video is how PG still hasn't sorted out a proper replay framework. There was one sequence which showed the same fixed follow replay camera from 4. Have no idea why this is so hard to implement.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If I can get 4K/60 (or even 3K/60) at the recommend specs with my gear I'll be happy. FH4 if I remember I had to do a lot of jiggering to a decent 60 setup. If not 4K/30 with all the graphical bells and whistles is also fine (particularly if that dynamic optimization is in the PC build of the game).

Completely different games. Plus, when the underlying bones of the game are already there and you’re just reskinning it, that’s not nearly as impressive a feat as what is being done with FH5, an open world game.

Sad that Microsoft showing off a truly next gen game has certain folks triggered—this is a good thing for everyone.

DS 2020 was just a reskin. . .what in the world? You can disagree with the idea that DS was a next-gen showcase, but calling it a reskin is so reductive to what a remake is actually doing and really hurts your last point.

The game deserves a 120fps mode on the new consoles with powerful CPUs. We had 30/60 modes even on last-gen consoles with weak ass CPU.

Maybe they've already tried that and found it lacking? I don't think developers go out of their way to deliver a product that is punching well below it's weight class.

sircaw

Banned
Forza Horizon, from the very first one, was and is shit which makes me feel alive. In my history even express on this site, it means quite a lot.

I am fighting to not express in every thread about this game.
i am not into car games at all, just not my cup of tea, i did however play some Burnout Paradise, i really liked that game.

I also played a dirt rally game on ps3 i think, it was at a friend's house, i liked that too for what it was.

Glad you're looking forward to this.

It does look very pretty and the weather effects look ace

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
i am not into car games at all, just not my cup of tea, i did however play some Burnout Paradise, i really liked that game.

I also played a dirt rally game on ps3 i think, it was at a friend's house, i liked that too for what it was.

Glad you're looking forward to this.

It does look very pretty and the weather effects look ace
It's not just about racing tho. Have you ever went into car, just to feel the freedom? Because that's what Horizon does. And it's shame to be exclusive.

Also large part is obviously music, I know people, personally, who has their tracks inside the part 4 FHs. I knew few people in the team and yeah.

For me this is really big thing.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Honestly, what else really is there to say about this? It's a stunner. Both the quality mode and the 60fps mode are running at native 4K it sounds like and not a single dip in fps. Microsoft hit the jackpot when they acquired these guys.

Theres a lot more to say. Im sure DF will go more in depth on the lighting, particle and LOD technology in there final analysis.

MaulerX

This is absolutely insane 🤯

And a side topic. These guys are making Fable. 🥰

One thing that always impressed me about Playground is their ability to to focus on framerates and build the game around that. Not the other way around. The end results are great looking games with impeccable framerates.

That they're making Fable has me stoked. It'll definitely be an achievement purely from a technical standpoint.

Fredrik

It's not just about racing tho. Have you ever went into car, just to feel the freedom? Because that's what Horizon does. And it's shame to be exclusive.

Also large part is obviously music, I know people, personally, who has their tracks inside the part 4 FHs. I knew few people in the team and yeah.

For me this is really big thing.
Yeah I love the freedom! My kids actually love this IP too almost as much as me just because of all the crazy driving you can do outside of the races. It’s one of the games we often play as a family, I’ve had them playing with a steering wheel almost as if they’re taking driving lessons lol

What did they mention about the resolution for 30fps and 60fps mode ?

60fps is the fluidity you expect from a game.
You see, standard movie framerate is low with blur, the smooth movement from high fps games looks very different, so performance mode is what you expect from a game these days, but quality mode with 30fps... because they "fixed" the blur from previous games it not looks incredible smooth despite the low framerate, it has that feel of a movie. With the higher resolution and extra details of that mode it's an experience worth playing, many gamers may prefer to play at quality mode for how good it looks and feels (there's low input lag). This may be reinforced byt the mandatory restart to change modes. Because you can't see the change is framerate immediately like in other games the change don't feel jarring.

Ozriel

M$FT
Did I misread something because I thought FH5 has a 60 fps mode as well as a 30fps mode. From all the concern trolling you'd think playground games took out 60 fps.

There’s a 60fps option. It’s mentioned multiple times by DF. I have no idea why console warriors are concern trolling about 30fps when anyone who wants 60fps can switch to that option.

SZips

Game looks fantastic across the board.

I'm glad to see they're offering options for a 30fps high fidelity mode for those that just like eye candy in addition to the 60fps high framerate mode. Game looks great regardless. I don't get why people are so up in arms about an extra mode they don't have to ever even try if they don't want to.

elliot5

That looks so incredible. Every time I watch Horizon videos it makes me wish I was good at and liked driving games. The world, art and graphics are just on a whole different level.
Can't help if you don't like them, but Forza has a ton of accessibility and difficulty options to let you customize how difficult the game is. There's lots of content beyond racing to take part in and progress all the same.

elliot5

what impressions what gameplay ? they showing same old trailer scenes and telling how amazing this all looks. yes amazing , so what ?
They got the same access as all the other gameplay you can find on YouTube. They're discussing graphics which is easier to compare when it's coming from cutscenes and somewhat static routes. Aka the intro.

Why are you upset when you can look elsewhere for what you desire

Top Bottom