• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] In Theory: Is PS5 Powered By AMD's Gonzalo Processor?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As is your right to do so, information is scarce on all fronts.

The problem with most information coming out from these “leakers”, they have that shred of feeling of being bias led to them, whether it’s a slight positive or negative which does not sound kosher to how these companies operate spec wise.

And it seems to only be getting worse since Cerny dropped the architecture vagueness.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm not convinced by HBM2+DDR4 rumors. Nvidia is already using GDDR6 on everything from 1660 ti and up, and Navi is going to use GDDR6. Seems like the market would follow GDDR6 more naturally due to this.

Shin

Banned
I'm not convinced by HBM2+DDR4 rumors. Nvidia is already using GDDR6 on everything from 1660 ti and up, and Navi is going to use GDDR6. Seems like the market would follow GDDR6 more naturally due to this.
It got me wondering as 16GB is a rumor that was thrown around before (don't remember if they wrote GDDR6 behind it).
Whatever the case people sure are creative as a new "information/leak/rumor" pops up every other day/week.
So far I've narrowed it down to Tum Apisak (Gonzalo SoC for potentially Gaming consoles), RuthenicCookie (slight doubt there) and something else (forgot, I read a lot).

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
60 CU x 64 = 3840 Stream Process
3840 x 2 x 1400Mhz ~ 10.7 Tflops
3840 x 2 x 1800Mhz ~ 13.8 Tflops

62 CU x 64 = 3968 Stream Process
3968 x 2 x 1400Mhz ~ 11.1 Tflops
3968 x 2 x 1800Mhz ~ 14.2 Tflops

In reality there are many possibilities.
what DF are talking about makes absolutely sense.

when they go full with 60CU no way this gpu can run 1,8GHz without monstet cooling and bigger cost for all components

i think PS5 will have 40CU with 1,8GHz that means 9,2 TF.

such specs console has no need for more than 12-16GB Ram

and is 399$ worth
I think even 12TF is a stretch. I'd be surprised if we get more than ~54 active CU's and more than 1.5GHz gpu clock speed. aka 10.3TFlops

If Radeon VII is anything to go by you'd need a 400mm^2 chip to fit an 8 core-Zen cpu and 64CU's (with 60 active).

For reference the launch PS4 and the PS4 Pro chips are around 325-328mm^2.

And that isn't even getting into the clock speed which ain't going to be close to 1.8GHz imo. People are widely optimistic in what they expect.
Whatever GPU performance MS/Sony will be able to deliver relies on AMD to be able to deliver improvements in performance per watt in Navi.

The best proxy for GPU performance right now is Radeon VII (3840 SPs) given that it's manufactured at the same 7nm as the new console chips will be. Radeon VII uses around ~300W at stock settings (1.4GHz Base, 1.75GHz boost) which gives us a peak of 13.4TFLOPS.
given that radeon VII is 331mm2 in which fits 60CU assuming ps5 die size won't increase in size from ps4 which is 347mm2 and zen cores pretty much same size as jaguar cores, in that case ps5 should end up around 56 CU, 6 CU should be disabled giving total of 50 CU so if 1.8 Ghz is true PS5 would be 11.52Tflops. which is great, given that ps4 was 399$.
So it's all up in the air really.

Radiocast with the Wired’s guy that interviewed Cerny... he left some things out from the article.

It was posted here.
What? I never knew there was a radiocast. I'd rather listen to that. You have a link compadre?

Gamernyc78

Banned
Super biased armchair analysts in the wild of course talking about lower numbers lol never fails.

Sony console won't be less than 12tf imo.

SonGoku

given that radeon VII is 331mm2 in which fits 60CU assuming ps5 die size won't increase in size from ps4 which is 347mm2 and zen cores pretty much same size as jaguar cores, in that case ps5 should end up around 56 CU, 6 CU should be disabled giving total of 50 CU so if 1.8 Ghz is true PS5 would be 11.52Tflops. which is great, given that ps4 was 399$.
$399 needs to die, I hope they make it $499 that way chip size can be on the X range with good cooling. So raging from 360-400 mm2
Could net anywhere from 12-14TF

I'll settle for 12TF AND won't take a GF less.

SonGoku

Too detailed to be made up or someone spent some serious fucking time coming up with this info, I've never read about before. On mobile so using via via link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-anaconda-dont-want-none.112607/post-20024749
PS4 refresh
  • sometime between september and november
  • fabbed on samsung 7nm EUV
  • best wafer pricing in the industry
  • die size 110mm²
  • no PRO refresh, financially not viable yet
  • too close to PS5 as well
PS5 memory and storage systems
  • 24 GB RAM in total (20 GB usable by games)
  • 8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2
  • Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM
  • in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.
  • HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime
  • Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices
  • Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)
  • InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well
  • InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v
  • HBM is more power efficient compared to GDDR6 - the savings were invested into more GPU power
  • additional 16 GB in form of DDR4 @ 256 bit for 102.4 GB/sec.
  • 4 GB reserved for OS, the remaining 12 GB usable by games
  • memory automatically managed by HBCC and appears as 20 GB to the developers
  • HBCC manages streaming of game data from storage as well
  • developers can use the API to take control if they choose and manage the memory and storage streaming themselves
  • memory solution alleviates problems found in PS4
  • namely that CPU bandwidth reduces GPU bandwidth disproportionately
  • 2 stacks of HBM have 512 banks (more banks = fewer conflicts and higher utilization)
  • GDDR6 better than GDDR5 and GDDR5x in that regard but still less banks than HBM
  • at the same time trying to keep CPU memory access to slower DDR4
  • very satisfied with decision to use two kinds of memory for price to performance reasons
  • allowed them to go below ~50 GFLOPs per GB/sec. bandwidth but still keep above 40 GFLOPs per GB/sec.
Reads like an over engineered heap of trash
Whats the point of using HBM with that anemic bandwidth?

Not buying it, either fake or devkit place holder

Last edited:

SonGoku

I’m fine with 11TFlops, anything higher is just icing on the cake full of awesome exclusives.
Im fine with double the X. So 12TF
People forget 4k will eat up a lot of resources, throw in resource hog RT into the mix and we need every TF we can.

TLZ

Banned
Just watched the video. This one is much better than the last rambling one. Nice investigation and research work there. All thanks to Apisak too.

Btw, if testing started at 1ghz, then 3 months later 1.8ghz, and has a Max of 3.2ghz, what's stopping them from testing at higher than 1.8ghz? Trying to achieve the highest possible power without blowing up the console :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wasn't the X at above 2ghz, or am I confusing things?

Last edited:

SonGoku

since it's only 8GB of HBM2,
and incredibly slow at that! given all the copromises of such setup i call fake.
Just watched the video. This one is much better than the last rambling one. Nice investigation and research work there. All thanks to Apisak too.

Btw, if testing started at 1ghz, then 3 months later 1.8ghz, and has a Max of 3.2ghz, what's stopping them from testing at higher than 1.8ghz? Trying to achieve the highest possible power without blowing up the console :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wasn't the X at above 2ghz, or am I confusing things?
You are mixing CPU and GPU clocks.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Time to go full on mental:

64cux64x2x3.2ghz = 26TF let's do this!

Expect my area in flames and in the news worldwide, all because of that console ^ :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SonGoku

There are benefits to HBM2 it but it goes above my head, but for those interested.

HBM main advantage is bandwith right? 400GB/s is pretty anemic compared to what GDRR6 offers
I read the leak, using salvaged parts and whatnot with all the extra hw needed its going to eat uo silicon budget

24 GDDR6 using 2GB chips 800 GB/s makes much more sense.
Time to go full on mental:

64cux64x2x3.2ghz = 26TF let's do this!

Expect my area in flames and in the news worldwide, all because of that console ^ :messenger_tears_of_joy:
FP16 REDEEMED!

Pretty much and here you go:
Time stamp please

Last edited:

SonGoku

He said performance not teraflop count. I expect Navi to be a lot more efficient so it may perform better then Vega64 at a lower flop count.
Do you know the time stamp?
Maybe the performance per TF stays the same but the power efficiency is much better which would explain the surprisingly high 1.8GHz clock.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Too detailed to be made up or someone spent some serious fucking time coming up with this info.

Sony got "amazing" deal for HBM
in part due to them buying up bad chips from other customers which can't run higher then 1.6 Gbps while keeping 1.2v.
HBM is expected to scale down in price a lot more than GDDR6 over the console lifetime
Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix already shifting part of their capacity towards HBM due to falling NAND prices
Sony will be one of the first high volume customers of TSMCs InFO_MS when mass production starts later this year (normal InFo already used by Apple in their iPhone)
InFO_MS brings down the cost compared to traditional silicon.
interposers - has thermal and performance advantage as well
InFO_MS allows them to drive their 1.6 Gbps chips @ 1.7 Gbps (435 GB/sec.) without having to increase the voltage above 1.2v

Sony get cheap HBM from Samsung/hynix/micron, but TSMC is making it?

SonGoku

Radiocast with the Wired’s guy that interviewed Cerny... he left some things out from the article.

It was posted here.
timestamp pls

Evilms

Banned
Maybe I’m missing something but how does this equate to the 880 GB/sec leak?
cf60a17f19368f61eddb7d5cf185480e20190212183814.png

It's simple : 22 GB of GDDR6 with 352 bits bus memory (20 Gbps) =>
20 Gbps / 8 = 2.5 Gbps
2.5 x 352 = 880 GB/s

Evilms

Banned
I meant with HBM and DDR4.
I strongly doubt that sony and especially m.cerny will choose two different types of memory when unified memory on PS4 has proven to be the right solution. Personally, I think it will be GDDR6, which would seem logical and less complicated for developers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So DF is making videos talking about and speculating about much about nothing? Must be desperate for some clicks and views

I am more curious about how despite about 25 years doing a respectable strong job pushing the industry forward, every time Sony is talking about something it is cause of concern and doubt vs American company saying the same or bolder stuff and that eliciting hype and throwing critical reasoning out of the window...

PS1 rocking it and Xbox starting to loom over the horizon? Concern... fear... nobody wins twice in a row... PS2 smashed records? Next gen is the interesting one, nobody wins three times in a row, MS is just starting to get serious... PS3 recovers and concludes the generation really really well paving the way for PS4? Age of Sony is done, Durango is where it’s at, final nail in the coffin, etc... PS4 greatly outsells the competition and delivers tons of great software gems... <insert more F.U.D.>... tsk about the competition, how the next generation is really the interesting one and find some talking points to exaggerate and to stick it to then anytime you can...

Not sure why... 🤔...

Last edited:
I think that PS5 will be around 10TF, and I also don't think that the new xbox machine can be faster, but not much above 12. Which puts both next gen console pretty much in the same ballpark, given that everything else is fixed (resolution is 4k, or 1080p, they run the same games) while you could enable slightly prettier options on the faster machine, the difference will be much more subtle than it has ever been in the past.

Which makes me think that MS blew off their load with the X, it will be pretty hard to differentiate their next gen machine from the new ones.

What I believe is that there may be differentiation in what's hardware accelerated, libraries, and OS (raytracing, 3d positional audio, fast I/O, games, etc.)... so given the closeness, it will be pretty nice to ear all those "arguments" about whether you should play on the mayonnaise or the mustard console!

My biggest fear come this next generation of games is whether we will still be able to keep a steady creative pool of developers that can make bonafide masterpieces. Unfortunately, GAAS may be one of the factors that kills the creativity that drove the gaming industry to the heights that it comfortably sits in at the moment.
ME: I want a new house, with a bigger kitchen, and more room for the kids to play.
You: I don't know, people do all sorts of bad things in their houses now-a-days, families used to cook more and eat out less, this is what brought society where it comfortably sits at the moment.

My honest answer: well, a new console doesn't counter this, it will only make it easier for smaller teams to develop their games using Unity or other tools not geared toward performance, but productivity... and they'll end up making more with their time.

But the best way to get those games will always be to buy them on PC, this is where most indie fun happens.

I am more curious about how about 25 years doing a respectable strong job pushing the industry forward every time Sony is taking about something it is cause of concern and doubt vs American company saying the same or bolder and that eliciting hype and throwing critical reasoning out of the window... PS1 rocking it and Xbox starting to loom over the horizon? Concern... fear... nobody wins twice in a row... PS2 smashed records? Next gen is the interesting one, nobody wins three times in a row, MS is just starting to get serious... PS3 recovers and concludes the generation relay really well paving the way for PS4? Age of Sony is done, Durango is where it’s at, final nail in the coffin, etc... PS4 greatly outsells the competition and delivers tons of great software gems... <insert more F.U.D.>... tsk about the competition, how the next generation is really the interesting one and find some talking points to overblown and stick it to then anytime you can...

Not sure why... 🤔...

Couldn't make much of head nor tail on that but my take is this: I like some of the other guys over at DF but Richard Leadbetter heading it all makes me question any of their content regarding consoles. He's a massive Xbox fanboy, he's even admitted as such. Regardless of personal feelings about him, you have to question their integrity/impartiality after that deal they made with MS where they had exclusive rights to reveal the Xbox One X, which was followed by countless articles on the hardware, drip-fed on their website, which verged on paid marketing. It was no-stop for weeks.

I would like to know if they were paid for all that and what affiliation they now have with MS? Why should anyone take them seriously or impartial after what was for all intents and purposes a marketing deal for one of the platform makers, especially when it comes to Playstation content? I mean at least previously they could hide their bias as there was little concrete evidence of it :)

thelastword

Banned
I am more curious about how about 25 years doing a respectable strong job pushing the industry forward every time Sony is taking about something it is cause of concern and doubt vs American company saying the same or bolder and that eliciting hype and throwing critical reasoning out of the window... PS1 rocking it and Xbox starting to loom over the horizon? Concern... fear... nobody wins twice in a row... PS2 smashed records? Next gen is the interesting one, nobody wins three times in a row, MS is just starting to get serious... PS3 recovers and concludes the generation relay really well paving the way for PS4? Age of Sony is done, Durango is where it’s at, final nail in the coffin, etc... PS4 greatly outsells the competition and delivers tons of great software gems... <insert more F.U.D.>... tsk about the competition, how the next generation is really the interesting one and find some talking points to overblown and stick it to then anytime you can...

Not sure why... 🤔...
You know why......

Foxbat

Banned

Not sure why... 🤔...

The issue I see with your line of reasoning, is for you.... Everything boils down to sales. Forget hardware, games, genres, features, controllers, etc...

It's all about how many of those Playstations Sony has sold. In a thread strictly about DF's reporting on Sony hardware, and here you are bringing up MS, and how Sony have dominated in sales.... When nobody is talking about that. Not even in the post you quoted.

What's curious to me is how sales became the measuring stick for consoles that it has. I'd say gaming in general, but it's really only consoles.

For example. Any 2 people can have a debate about which game is better. Let's say GTA5 vs Assassins Creed. Those 2 people will bat the merits of each game back and forth, but I've never seen anything like "GTA sold more, therefore it's better." Weather you debate auto brands on a car forum, or your favorite rifle company on a gun forum.... The "my preferred brand sold more" argument doesn't fly. Only when it comes to consoles is sales the measuring stick. It stifles discussion on the subject because points of merit are quickly overruled by "sales".

Not sure why.

Kenpachii

Im fine with double the X. So 12TF
People forget 4k will eat up a lot of resources, throw in resource hog RT into the mix and we need every TF we can.

No matter what they throw into it, it wil bottleneck hard on the GPU.

Which makes this upcoming gen like you said with RT and 4k a bit boring and predictable. The the bit more performance on a cpu or gpu or a memory isn't going to change much.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The issue I see with your line of reasoning, is for you.... Everything boils down to sales. Forget hardware, games, genres, features, controllers, etc...

It's all about how many of those Playstations Sony has sold. In a thread strictly about DF's reporting on Sony hardware, and here you are bringing up MS, and how Sony have dominated in sales.... When nobody is talking about that. Not even in the post you quoted.

What's curious to me is how sales became the measuring stick for consoles that it has. I'd say gaming in general, but it's really only consoles.

For example. Any 2 people can have a debate about which game is better. Let's say GTA5 vs Assassins Creed. Those 2 people will bat the merits of each game back and forth, but I've never seen anything like "GTA sold more, therefore it's better." Weather you debate auto brands on a car forum, or your favorite rifle company on a gun forum.... The "my preferred brand sold more" argument doesn't fly. Only when it comes to consoles is sales the measuring stick. It stifles discussion on the subject because points of merit are quickly overruled by "sales".

Not sure why.

Sales? Just sales... keep this idea that you do not know how by which magic spell they managed to do what they do for 25 years... forget the ICO’s, forget the Shadow of the Colossus’s, forget the Jak and Daxters, forget the Primal, forget the Uncharted’s, forget DriveClub (yes I went there ;)), forget the Ghost Hunter, forget the Gran Turismo’s, forget the Gravity Rush ones, forget the Crash Bandicoot’s, forget Horizon, forget TLoU’s, forget the Resogun/SSHD, etc... etc... yup... No Games Station 2.0 selling only because other people are allowing it? Beautiful narrative... if it were true :).

What I was bringing up was how Sony speaking == doubts. concern in the weather media while another one speaking say  or MS == hype hype no rational critique allowed sometimes ;)...

ME: I want a new house, with a bigger kitchen, and more room for the kids to play.
You: I don't know, people do all sorts of bad things in their houses now-a-days, families used to cook more and eat out less, this is what brought society where it comfortably sits at the moment.

My honest answer: well, a new console doesn't counter this, it will only make it easier for smaller teams to develop their games using Unity or other tools not geared toward performance, but productivity... and they'll end up making more with their time.

You didn't really understand my post. Too lazy to reply back in detail as well but do whatever makes you happy.

IceManCat

Not an exact comparison but Xbox was able to more than double it’s TF in just four years when they released the X. By that logic they should be able to more than double the X’s power 4 years later using all new hardware. I know this is about the PS5 but I’m just applying the same logic.

Top Bottom