• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

Latimer

Banned
uV8J3mX.png

Well a lot of them are only 1440p right?

There's a difference bbetween 1440p and 1080p but it isn't a world of difference at all.

madmackem

How can there be such a discrepancy already? DF saying original (launch?) PS4 levels, others saying C-Chasis, others saying totally silent.

I hope its not fan roulette again!
Every console is a fan roulette my Xbox a has a loud high pitch whine.

darkwing

Very tempted to buy one now but I tnink I'll hold out at least a little longer until we know more about Scorpio.

No point buying a new console now when another more powerful console is just around the corner. If Scorpio is unreasonably priced then I'll pick up a Pro for hopefully a cheaper price than if I bought now.

why not wait for the PS5? it will be faster than the Scorpio, but why not wait for the Scorpio Pro? it will be faster than the PS5, but why not wait for the PS5 Pro, it will be faster than the Scorpio Pro

I reeeeeeally hope the noise levels is not as bad as they described. Because that's soooooooooooooo disappointing if true..and it kind of irritates me.

Very tempted to buy one now but I tnink I'll hold out at least a little longer until we know more about Scorpio.

No point buying a new console now when another more powerful console is just around the corner. If Scorpio is unreasonably priced then I'll pick up a Pro for hopefully a cheaper price than if I bought now.
There will always be a more powerful console right around the corner, though.

I'm watching the BF1 gameplay on my 4k TV and even though it youtube it already looks way sharper than normal BF1 on my TV.

I think at around 3:30 you can see some of the checker boarding artifacts in the tank scope and at the tree branches.

Edit: I'm sitting 1.5 meters away from a 65" 4k screen, so the sub 1080p resolution of normal BF1 on Ps4 was very apparent to me.
I guess when you are sitting 3-4 Meters away from a 50" screen there is not much difference to be seen, tho.

leeh

Hate blanket statements like this. Even from the supersampled screens thread, you could clearly see how great the IQ is on the Pro when running at 1080p. Yeah, not everyone sees it that much and for some people its not worth the money to upgrade but, its not marketed that way. It's marketed at the more enthusiast console gamers.

//DEVIL//

- i agree. i mean honestly its hard for me to tell the difference between Xbox 1 and PS4. and generally i dont care much about it either unless i see it on a youtube video or images side by side.

still, performance wise matters, and i will be so glad to play the console exclusive games on the best possible hardware. if that is the PS4 PRO. then so be it i am in.

DOWN

Banned
this .. what the hell.. are we in for a bunch of lucky ps4 pro owners getting a quite console and the others wont? give me a fucking break with this shit already

someone contact digital foundry. do they have a bad PS4 PRo?
Digital Foundry said it is definitely quiet, but its pitch is noticeable. I'd imagine many people won't find this to be an issue since it is quiet.

RowdyReverb

why not wait for the PS5? it will be faster than the Scorpio, but why not wait for the Scorpio Pro? it will be faster than the PS5, but why not wait for the PS6, it will be faster than the Scorpio Pro
I could understand the argument if you're interested in 4K gaming. It seems like the PS4 Pro does a commendable job of delivering nearly a true 4K experience, and another year's worth of tech might just be enough of a bump to get console gaming the rest of the way there.
That said, I'm more focused on 1080p gaming and the Pro seems sufficient for my needs

Curufinwe

Hate blanket statements like this. Even from the supersampled screens thread, you could clearly see how great the IQ is on the Pro when running at 1080p. Yeah, not everyone sees it that much and for some people its not worth the money to upgrade but, its not marketed that way. It's marketed at the more enthusiast console gamers.

It's the IGN gif about not being able to see 1080p unless you have a 55 inch screen all over again.

There's a difference bbetween 1440p and 1080p but it isn't a world of difference at all.

People that were expecting a world of difference crazy .
Even more so for older games .
I expect newer games will look better but this still not a next gen jump .

Never had problem with the PS4 noise myself. So it seems like the 1440p upscaled is fine now. Feels weird cause I recently spent a grand on a PC to do native 4K and I could of just got ps pro

//DEVIL//

Digital Foundry said it is definitely quiet, but its pitch is noticeable. I'd imagine many people won't find this to be an issue since it is quiet.

They said you can hear it across the room. you cant do that with a C model PS4. unless everything is on mute then MAYBE you will hear a buzzing kinda sound.

There's a difference between 1440p and 1080p isn't a world of difference at all.
interesting wording. 1440p at 60fps from a 400$ console is now considered "only", when xbox barely does 720p 60fps in intensive multiplayer games.

By the way, even if you ignore all the games that run at native 4K on PS4 Pro, still bum in image quality is HUGE
1080p has 2,073,600 pixels.
1440p has 3,686,400 pixels.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Has anyone seen any impressions of Infinite Warfare? That's the first game I'll be playing on the Pro, so would be nice if there was some good news.

I am really really really more confused now after watching the DigitalFoundry video. Richard Leadbetter said that 2160p YUV 420 is for old 4K TVs with HDMI 1.4 that don't support 60 HZ while 2160p RGB is for 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 that don't support HDR!!!

Which is the adequate setting to get the best of IQ with HDR if you have one of the latest TVs like the Samsung KS 8000/ 9000 for example? I really want to know what option should anyone choose with the latest TVs in order to get everything from 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Chroma and HDR on PS4 PRO..

Latimer

Banned
interesting wording. 1440p at 60fps from a 400$ console is now considered "only", when xbox barely does 720p 60fps in intensive multiplayer games.

By the way
1080p has 2,073,600 pixels.
1440p has 3,686,400 pixels.

Why bring up Xbox at all?

I'm saying I get why people aren't seeing a huge difference between them when some games are only running at 1440p. I see a difference of course, many won't be that impressed.

dealer-

Hate blanket statements like this. Even from the supersampled screens thread, you could clearly see how great the IQ is on the Pro when running at 1080p.

Exactly, there's no point trusting what other people say as there is already content out there to compare. Just look at a few screenshot comparisons yourself to see whether the upgrade is worthwhile.

mejin

Do you play only multi games? Cause lineup for PS4 and Xbox are diferentiating day after day. It's always about the games.

It's useless if Scorpio is more powerful than Pro if you like japanese games for example.

Was really expecting way more information to drop at the embargo end, guess we gotta wait till later. Also feel a couple outlets will hold info back leading up to the release for clicks.

I would guess it has a solid shot ?

I mean they did render that early UC4 tech demo reveal at 60 fps on a regular PS4.

I would say no.

Also, they admitted that they treated that original release trailer at 60fps different than they would any normal gameplay. "Treat the PS4 as a renderfarm" as they put it does not sound very "real time" to me.

I am really really really more confused now after watching the DigitalFoundry video. Richard Leadbetter said that 2160p YuV 420 is for old 4K TVs with HDMI 1.4 that don't support 60 HZ while 2160p RGB is for 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 that don't support HDR!!!

Which is the adequate setting to get the best of IQ with HDR if you have one of the latest TVs like the Samsung KS 8000/ 9000 for example? I really want to know what option should anyone choose with the latest TVs in order to get everything from 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Chroma and HDR on PS4 PRO..

I second this :p

Renmyra

Has there been any word on whether you can run it in 1440p natively? Or is it only 1080p/4K? Considering a lot of the games seem to run at 1440p before upscaling, it would be a shame if I couldn't run it natively at that resolution on my PC monitor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am really really really more confused now after watching the DigitalFoundry video. Richard Leadbetter said that 2160p YuV 420 is for old 4K TVs with HDMI 1.4 that don't support 60 HZ while 2160p RGB is for 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 that don't support HDR!!!

From that other thread about this, I thought RGB 4:4:4 is only relevant for PCs where small text legibility is important. For gaming 4:2:2 is fine and actually necessary for HDR on current HDMI

Top Bottom