• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

They have not touched on the loudness of the pro :(

is it quiet?

Not sure if serious.

Basically every thread is about that now :)

But to help you out: it's either comparable to the C-Chassis revision of PS4 or quieter than the Slim, depending on who you ask.

Drewfonse

Well it sounds like buying a used copy of the new Tomb Raider was a good call. Looking forward to that, Titanfall 2, BF1, Dishonored 2, and FFXV. I'll be set for a little bit. Just a little bit.

GlamFM

Banned
Not sure if serious.

Basically every thread is about that now :)

But to help you out: it's either comparable to the C-Chassis revision of PS4 or quieter than the Slim, depending on who you ask.

Watched the video - they did not talk about it.

Not sure how I could not be serious about this.

N30RYU

Gold Member
Was really expecting way more information to drop at the embargo end, guess we gotta wait till later. Also feel a couple outlets will hold info back leading up to the release for clicks.

+1

They really made some meh videos...

I really want to see PS4 VS Pro4K VS Pro1080 instead of PC comparison for god sake

ps4 outputs the image at 1080p, tv upscaled the image to 4k, all 4k tv's have upscaler unit
I meant PS4 pro, which is outputting a 4k image it either renders natively or upscales itself. My question is if it will only output UHD, or if it will output true 4k as well

I've seen it with my own eyes.

It's a nice bump, but it's not incredible.

And that's your personal opinion.

This thread, and all these threads, are going to be plagued by people saying, "X res --> Y res doesn't provide a noticeable difference," when what they mean to say is, "My display doesn't easily demonstrate the difference, I made the comparison on my phone screen, I'm not really looking at the details, my eyes aren't very good, etc."

You see the same thing in framerare conversations. People have different sensitivities, so we should avoid making blanket statements.

We've been asked if you can simply rip out your old HDD and implant it into the Pro - this doesn't work as all drives are encrypted, and each individual PS4 has its own encryption key.

I currently have a 2TB in my vanilla PS4. Does that mean that I won't be able to use it in the Pro even if I reformat it? This was a bit confusing. Or do they mean you can't just transfer a HDD w/content from console to console, which I fully understand.

Uncharted 4 is 1440p and... BTW looks good >_>
rHglee1.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The controversy of some reviews is strange to me.

"Console based on providing higher resolutions and stabler framerates delivers higher resolutions and stabler framerates!"

Like, not sure what else you can really say about it.

An iterative unit will focus on those things. All that matters is if you personally feel that is worth the money invested.

EmiPrime

Either there is a MASSIVE disparity in C Chassis build qualities with a bonkers fan lottery or some people have very bad hearing. Mine was very loud on any game with an unlocked framerate and the high pitch sound it made every 10-15 seconds was maddening.

I currently have a 2TB in my vanilla PS4. Does that mean that I won't be able to use it in the Pro even if I reformat it? This was a bit confusing. Or do they mean you can't just transfer a HDD w/content from console to console, which I fully understand.

When you take the 2tb and try to use it on the Pro it will require a reformat along with firmware install. You can use it though but you will either need to redownload/install all your content or use a backup to a second HDD.

BigEmil

Huh how comes the power consumption of the Pro is really low especially compared to the Slim???

I wonder how it compares to the original model both launch and matte model

Also consumption for games running in 1080p with no HDR but supersampling would be nice :)

DBT85

How can there be such a discrepancy already? DF saying original (launch?) PS4 levels, others saying C-Chasis, others saying totally silent.

I hope its not fan roulette again!

Its not even just the fan. Each APU will run at different voltages, and every application of thermal paste isn't the same.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So confirmation on non updated games working exactly the same...welp

That's the killer for me, if all games benefited I'd upgrade, being able to play Until Dawn at a rock solid 30fps instead of the low 20s and even teens at times would be reason to upgrade for example, nearly all games miss their target frame rate on PS4 and the Pro could have fixed that.

When you take the 2tb and try to use it on the Pro it will require a reformat along with firmware install. You can use it though but you will either need to redownload/install all your content or use a backup to a second HDD.

That is what I thought. A buddy of mine was telling me otherwise and I'm like that can't be possible. Thanks

Rappy

The controversy of some reviews is strange to me.

"Console based on providing higher resolutions and stabler framerates delivers higher resolutions and stabler framerates!"

Like, not sure what else you can really say about it.

An iterative unit will focus on those things. All that matters is if you personally feel that is worth the money invested.
Well that's what reviews are for this thing. Their opinion on whether it's worth it to upgrade. I mean sure its different for everyone but they're just giving their opinion just like game reviews.

Traxtech

So many different views on the noise, some loud as hell, sound quieter than the slim.

I guess it all depends on ambient temp too as well as if their testing game has vsync on or off.

GlamFM

Banned
Becaaaause...like I said, every thread is about that now?

Love the hostility!

Sorry, you were being hostile with your "not sure if serious" bullshit.

In a thread about a Video Review of the PRO by DF I noted that they did not touch on the loudness - which they didn't. Don´t care about every other thread, this is the one about the DF review and I was hoping for some solid testing by DF.

Sorry, you were being hostile with your "not sure if serious" bullshit.

In a thread about a Video Review of the PRO by DF I noted that they did not touch on the loudness - which they didn't. Don´t care about every other thread, this is the one about the DF review and I was hoping for some solid testing by DF.

I wasn't...? I just legit didn't know if you were joking, since every other post now is about the noise.

Ease up, man.

they said 2x louder than the PS4 Slim on the written df review

What? No they didn't. Where does it say that?

The written review says it's the same acoustic output as a C-model PS4. I have a launch model is it quiter then that? Sony should have really gone overboard to make this thing silent.

So frustrating.

I have to say from the reviews that im just not impressed as I thought I would be.

I'll wait and see what scorpio has to offer.

I've been gaming on 4k for a while on PC and the difference with 1080p is obvious, it doesn't look that good when it's upscaled tho. At that point I prefer more framerate.

Top Bottom