• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

If it's even 1% quieter than my launch PS4 I'll be happy, and it sounds like it's a lot quieter than it to be honest.

So stoked to see the improvements to BF1 MP, will have a lot of games to replay with the added horsepower (ratchet, infamous, uncharted etc)

uV8J3mX.png

That's alright to be honest. All I'm asking for is the better wifi, less aliasing and better constant fps.

Uncharted 4 Singleplayer they doubled the Pixel count, but it's around 30 with dips. That's definitely the CPU bottleneck at work. I mean I sold my PS4 and covered most the cost of the pro a while back, but I still am a bit disappointed they didn't end up going with a better CPU.

jett

D-Member
Oh well, UC4 has not received a single upgrade to its (hideous) motion blur.

5ABc2Mc.png

At the end of the day, the footage from the Pro conference was accurate.

DUHAW7M.png

I guess UC4's Pro patch is as barebones as it gets.

DBT85

Checkerboarding
Rise of the Tomb Raider is one the best 4K titles we've seen on Pro - it's checkerboarding, but only the most intense scrutiny reveals that it's not a native 4K game. In action it's simply beautiful.

R&C at 4k
We should also expect to see developers attempting their own 4K upscaling solutions - Insomniac's rolling out its own temporal injection technique in Ratchet and Clank and it's well worth checking out. A beautiful 1080p title for base PS4 hardware looks clean and crisp at 4K.

Tomb Raider while supersampling
Rise of the Tomb Raider has real issues coping with sub-pixel detail, resulting in shimmering and pixel-popping that severely detracts from what is otherwise a simply beautiful game. PS4 Pro, running in super-sampling mode, cleans up nearly all of the artefacts and looks simply sensational.

Oh well, UC4 has no received a single upgrade to its (hideous) motion blur.

5ABc2Mc.png

DUHAW7M.png

Damn, this was the one thing I was hoping they'd improve. Expected more from ND on 1080p sets to be honest.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well that's what reviews are for this thing. Their opinion on whether it's worth it to upgrade. I mean sure its different for everyone but they're just giving their opinion just like game reviews.

I get that but some are going in more aggressive, like they were expecting more than what we've all already known about.

Its strange considering we've had the specs and the general point of the console on paper for months now

Gurish

So the TL;DR of the review is that if more developers will offer the same kind of improvements that ROTTR offers than it's an essential purchase, but for now most are not putting as much effort, most don't bother even doing advanced scaling to 4K, they just strech the image like U4 does (very disappointing ND), maybe this is just because the system had just launched and it will get better, don't know.

So I guess I'll wait to see what kind of support future titles will offer.

5ABc2Mc.png

DUHAW7M.png

From what i understand they are still looking at what they can improve at Naughty Dog.

In terms of the acoustic performance of the Pro, it has much more in common with the c-chassis PS4 than the Slim...

...but really it's not so much the loudness that's the issue as opposed to the pitch. The fan spins up and down and is clearly audible from across the room.

Nooooooooooo!!! I hated the high pitch whine from the c-chassis. I think it's one of those things some people can hear and some people can't, but holy shit is it annoying.

So the TL;DR of the review is that if more developers will offer the same kind of improvements that ROTTR offers than it's an essential purchase, but for now most are not putting as much effort, most don't bother even doing advanced scaling to 4K, they just strech the image like U4 does (very disappointing ND), maybe this is just because the system had just launched and it will get better, don't know.

Actually, my guess is that this is the first version of Pro support for Uncharted 4, 'rushed' out to meet the launch day deadline, and we'll see a far more radical update to the rendering engine to launch alongside the single-player DLC.

JP

5ABc2Mc.png

DUHAW7M.png

It was announced that a few days ago that Naughty Dog are going back and looking at the game in more depth than most studios seem to be doing. I think at the moment what they've done is the closest to a "flick the switch" approach and get it out there for the console launch.

It's the simplest and quickest way of doing a Pro version but it could well mean that we'll get a far more technical response from them down the line.

DBT85

It was announced that a few days ago that Naughty Dog are going back and looking at the game in more depth than most studios seem to be doing. I think at the moment what they've done is the closest to a "flick the switch" approach and get it out there for the console launch.

It's the simplest and quickest way of doing a Pro version but it could well mean that we'll get a far more technical response from them down the line.

It does seem a bit weird to me that they weren't ready tbh. The ND technical team would have known about Pro long before lots of studios I would imagine, being the golden goose.

Wereroku

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if their next DLC comes out with something more impressive.

It does seem a bit weird to me that they weren't ready tbh. The ND technical team would have known about Pro long before lots of studios I would imagine, being the golden goose.

They probably knew sooner but that doesn't mean they had the time to get the work done. They had already pushed the release back once for the PS4 version so I doubt they really had time to get these improvements in until now.

I JUST SAID THAT

Haha good times then.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if their next DLC comes out with something more impressive.

I JUST SAID THAT

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Maybe it just wasn't a high priority..for many devs i think that'll be the case for both Pro and Scorpio generally.

I've been saying it, but devs generally only put a few people, if that onto these things.

Chrisdk

If it's even 1% quieter than my launch PS4 I'll be happy, and it sounds like it's a lot quieter than it to be honest.

So stoked to see the improvements to BF1 MP, will have a lot of games to replay with the added horsepower (ratchet, infamous, uncharted etc)

Lets wait and see(or hear:) my PS4 was quiet when i first bought it, but then turned into a jet engine later on...

Koobion

They probably knew sooner but that doesn't mean they had the time to get the work done. They had already pushed the release back once for the PS4 version so I doubt they really had time to get these improvements in until now.

Exactly what I'm thinking. What they have in mind might take more time than they were able to utilize;.

Maybe it just wasn't a high priority..for many devs i think that'll be the case for both Pro and Scorpio generally.

I've been saying it, but devs generally only put a few people, if that onto these things.

Things will get better once they become part of the pipeline .
If anything like people have been saying the UC4 SP DLC should gives us a better idea .
For older games i really not expecting much truth be told .

Vuze

So they did jack about the cooling solution as expected. Kinda disappointing.

Should I wait for PS4 Pro Slim? 🤔🤔

SGRU

I can't see the video now, have they said anything about the noise of the console itself? I'm about to trade my PS4 for a Pro, but I don't want to have a jet engine in the living room again...

Uncharted 4 doesn't just "stretch" the image. it's rendering at 1440p! That's almost double the pixels of 1080p!

X-Frame

Not sure if I missed it but what resolution is Titanfall 2 running in MP with the Pro?

Is it 1440p and 60 FPS for MP as well as SP?

Vashetti

Banned
If any DF/Eurogamer folks are reading this, can you please do a power consumption comparison for Netflix, YouTube, etc. compared to the other PS4 models?

napata

Rise of the Tomb Raider is one the best 4K titles we've seen on Pro - it's checkerboarding, but only the most intense scrutiny reveals that it's not a native 4K game.

I don't really agree with this. I'm currently watching the side by side comparison video and I can easily see the difference in quailty and sharpness. Being able to tell the difference on a youtube video doesn't fit with "intense scrutiny" in my opinion.

Then again I'm watching the video on a monitor. I guess from a distance on a tv the difference would be much harder to see.

Lister

Banned
Valid opinion.

If he can't see a difference then he can't see a difference. There are people who can't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that there are people who can't see a difference between 1080p and 4K.

Is it that he can't see a difference between 1080p and 4K or a difference between 1080p and upscaled checkerboard 4K?

Or is it that he doesn't thik the difference between a base PS4 and PS4 pro is veyr noticeable at typical TV viewing distances?

I think the latter at least is probably wrong. Just AF boost of PS4 Pro has to be a significant impact in IQ. Don't know about the rest.

Top Bottom