• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry PS4 Pro Launch Coverage Begins

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The more pixels you throw at the screen the less of an issue none native starts to look.

900p on a 1080 screen is 1.44m pixels on a 2.07m pixel display. It's readily noticeable that its not native unless there is lost of extra processing going on.

The equivalent on 4k is 1800p on a 2160 screen which is 5.76m pixels on a 8.29m pixel display.

It's still not native and both are still only 69.5% of native but with a higher pixel density and a bit of processing, it will look a damned sight better than 900p on a 1080. It'll still be noticeable too, but assuming your living room doesn't grow, the size of your 4k screen might only be 55" against a 40-47" 1080 display. Anyone who can't see the difference between 900p and 1080 isn't going to stand a hope in hell at spotting 1800 on a 2160. Though I'm sure some will suddenly learn how.

It goes on even further at 8k and so on.
Yup. It's why the difference between PS3 and 360 releases could appear so prounounced and why the jump to 640x480 from 320x240 was massive despite adding very few pixels compared to modern standards.

For me it will be very nice knowing for the next three years I probably won't have to worry about shitty framerates AND I get better IQ and effects for a relatively low entry cost.

I know every time Sony or a third party reveals a game, I'll be playing it in an even better state since they'll show the OG first.

I personally feel Sony gets a lot of flak on this site, like they release this product and have to go above and beyond to prove its worth but when there is a slight 3DS revision or MS makes the slim, everyone starts trading in their old system and no one bats an eye or questions it. Yet this is twice the power and twice the storage for $100 extra MSRP.

M.W.

I have embarked on a quest to get a pro this week. The fiancé isn't keen on me buying one so I'll be selling off a few of my things to cut the cost. Wish me luck!

Oni Jazar

What's going to be tough going forward is the youtube comparison videos just aren't going to be able to accurately demonstrate any differences between 4k native and 4k checkerboard. Youtube compression already makes comparisons tough to identify and with resolutions going even higher and changes more subtle YT compression will just wash it all away.

King_Moc

Banned
I personally feel Sony gets a lot of flak on this site, like they release this product and have to go above and beyond to prove its worth but when there is a slight 3DS revision or MS makes the slim, everyone starts trading in their old system and no one bats an eye or questions it. Yet this is twice the power and twice the storage for $100 extra MSRP.

There's definitely been some double standards. I know Nintendo fans that had no issue with the New 3DS, but turned their noses up at the idea of PS4 Pro, despite it looking like Sony have actually done a much better job of making the thing worthwhile.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
When are we getting videos on the Pro from you guys?

We're already not getting a retro video today, and you guys haven't uploaded much at all in the last couple days.

I'm getting impatient.....

DBT85

What's going to be tough going forward is the youtube comparison videos just aren't going to be able to accurately demonstrate any differences between 4k native and 4k checkerboard. Youtube compression already makes comparisons tough to identify and with resolutions going even higher and changes more subtle YT compression will just wash it all away.

DF have said they are going to provide another option as Youtube can't do the videos justice.

labx

Banned
Guys straight answer. I have a 1080p TV. Not planning on buying a 4K tv in a long time. Should I invest in a PRO or go to Slim. My Ps4 is about to die.

//DEVIL//

Guys straight answer. I have a 1080p TV. Not planning on buying a 4K tv in a long time. Should I invest in a PRO or go to Slim. My Ps4 is about to die.

pro. because you will see the difference even in FHD screen.

I mean. Normal 500Gig Ps4 is like 300$. I am going to assume a 1T PS4 is about 350$. is the 50$ too much all the sudden ? lol

Pro. It has options for non 4k owners too. Eg; Tomb raider or ni-oh. Also in the future if you ever buy a 4k tv even better.

Kaze2212

You should definitely go with the Pro, if you can afford an extra $100. Even on a 1080p screen you will get a better image and some games might even offer different options for HDTV users like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

labx

Banned
pro. because you will see the difference even in FHD screen.

I mean. Normal 500Gig Ps4 is like 300$. I am going to assume a 1T PS4 is about 350$. is the 50$ too much all the sudden ? lol

Pro for better image quality and performance.

Pro. It has options for non 4k owners too. Eg; Tomb raider or ni-oh. Also in the future if you ever buy a 4k tv even better.

You should definitely go with the Pro, if you can afford an extra $100. Even on a 1080p screen you will get a better image and some games might even offer different options for HDTV users like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

You are great guys, Thank you so much!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can't wait, hopefully EA drops the Battlefield patch tomorrow. That's the one I'm dying to hear about.

sn0man

I suspect that DF Retro will miss 2 weeks at this rate! It's all Pro over here.

This is the right move. I know Sony is playing this as a .5 gen launch, but it feels like an actual new console launch. It feels like the way the 1080p PS4/Xbone should have been from their launch. I've waited on the PS4/Xbone for so long that I'm pretty excited to jump into this gen (not counting the beloved WiiU I've had for a few years) and really experience some great 1080p gaming.

Can't wait to hear the following:
1.) impressions on noise in detail.
2.) impressions on loading times with a variety of HDD/SSDs.
3.) impressions on games that aren't patched (please pick Doom as it uses a variable refresh based on load; i'm hopeful that efficiencies inherent in the Pro design will affect the performance of the game)

Note: I love DF retro and please keep it coming.

Bog

Junior Ace
This is the right move. I know Sony is playing this as a .5 gen launch, but it feels like an actual new console launch.

Totally. I found myself stocking up on games during the B2G1 Target sale that are guaranteed to have a Pro patch.

Pennywise

Did we get any details on Dishonored 2 yet ?
Because the product information of the PS Pro on Amazon Germany, lists a couple of details about some pro modes and Dishonored 2 is listed with native 4k.

The only game I'm most curious to see the differences is Bf1. What do you guys expect for hdtv and 4k tv's modes?

HDR, higher base resolution and being far more stable with the dynamic resolution.

Mass Effect is also going to have a 1080p option on the pro. Sony really should have talked more about HDTV improvements at the reveal.

thelastword

Banned
DF have said they are going to provide another option as Youtube can't do the videos justice.
I would think that's a needed approach because I've been watching some 4k youtube videos from gaming websites and the compression can still be really awful at times. I hope gamersyde has their videos lined up because their quality will be essential here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No hopes for supersampling? :/

The GPU power on display is more than enough to provide resolutions well in excess of 1080p, even for non native PS4 titles.

Its just that, for those games that may drop below 1080p on PS4, even having a clean native 1080p for many developers would be enough effort put in.

For something like titanfall 2 which has a dynamic res that rarely is at 1080p, and can go down to 720p at worst case scenario(according to DF, titanfall 2 can go down to 480p!) on Xbox One), just having a clean 1080p lock would be enough IMO.

NuKERxyz

Ok, then I just hope digital foundry starts delivering info on Bf1, or Dice.. I ready own infinite warfare, titanfall 2 and most of the other games on the known list.

Even short 30-60 second clips should be enough for 4k video comparisons. We don't necessarily have to have 5-10 min videos with huge files. It's important to get the quality across. YT is absolutely terrible.

Duderino

One of the reasons why I believe framerate and not image quality will be the bigger deciding factor for the average consumer looking to purchase the Scorpio or PS4 Pro.

If you think Sony is having a difficult time selling people on the Pro with its faux 4K, imagine the position Microsoft will be in if Scorpio games on average perform even a little worse to achieve that native 4k resolution. Not suggesting that will be the case, but it is a possibility.

onQ123

Even short 30-60 second clips should be enough for 4k video comparisons. We don't necessarily have to have 5-10 min videos with huge files. It's important to get the quality across. YT is absolutely terrible.

This should change next year

AOMedia Video 1

Adoption[edit]
Due to key companies being present in the Alliance, it is assumed to gain rapid adoption by major web browsers (Mozilla, Microsoft, Google), content distributors (Netflix, Amazon.com/Amazon Video, Google/YouTube), and device manufacturers. Most major browsers already incorporate a previous version of the AV1 codec library called libvpx and may simply need to upgrade this component to support the new format. YouTube declared intent to transition to the new format as fast as possible, starting with highest resolutions within six months after the finalization of the bitstream format. Companies from within the Alliance (AMD, ARM, Intel, Nvidia) are working on hardware support for decoding and encoding AV1.

thelastword

Banned
As someone who has no horse in the race between the PS4 Pro's 4Kish or the Scorpio's supposed true 4K, I have made the following observation: the importance of resolution for some seems to ebb and flow depending on which side has the technological advantage. During the PS360 era a few hundred pixels of resolution difference were apparently a huge deal and clearly better for 360 owners while PS3 gamers claimed that games looked mostly the same. Then the next generation started and suddenly native 1080p was of paramount importance for PS4 owners and anything less looked like crap, while xbox one owners had an epiphany that a slightly fuzzier look isn't such a big deal. Now with the Pro and Scorpio we have a reversal once again. Non-native 4k is fine now because of new techniques and the amount of pixels, while next year it will not be fine because it's not native and it will look like shit. This sort of constant goalpost moving is both funny and sad, in my opinion.
You have a point, that does happen. I will say though, native will always be superior to any other technique that mimicks it. However the way it was done in the past was just through an upscale either by your tv or the console which had untold artefacts, blurring and smudged detail.

However, right now ,there is hardware that mitigates such issues and it's something that was carefully planned and tackled whilst developing the console; (checkerboarding with TAA, id buffer, DCC, the primitive discard accelerator, multiple wavefronts on CU's including utilization of halfloat operations), are all newly introduced to consoles to makre rendering at higher resolutions less taxing and to produce a final image that has less artefacts which does not eschew detail. It's a console box, they had to go that route, because there's no way you are putting $1500-2000 worth of hardware in a console to do 4k gaming (for triple AAA) titles in 2016.

People have to understand, that in the Pro's case, it's not goal post moving that people are saying that chekerboarding is really close to native when you see it side by side, rather it's appreciating how much good work Cerny did with the vision he had and the results speak for itself. I've not been against non native entirely as I played many non native games on my 1080p set, but my argument was always get me something looking as good as native and maybe I'll be impressed.

People use to say that Shadowfall's Reprojection was 1080p, but it wasn't, just like checkerboarding is not native, the difference however is in the results. Shadowfall's reprojection would never fool anybody who's into tech that it was native or close, but here, people are mightily impressed with checkerboarding. It's simple really, a system was designed to give results close enough to 4k at a much lower cost and they've succeeded.....I believe checkerboarding to full 2160p as opposed to 1800p will be a sight to behold in future titles. Few titles are doing full on 2160p checkerboarding so far....but there are a few. (I believe Zero Dawn is one).....

Other topic;

As for another topic being discussed earlier in this thread.....Would there not be banding or other artefacts in 10bit or even 12bit color sets. I'm sure if your eyes are trained enough you can always detect some discrepancies. Going from 8bit to 10bit color depth does not mean 10bit color reproduction is perfect in every regard. In a couple of years, people will say "10bit color is shit how could you guys play that way or thought it was all that great", look how much better 16bit CD is or 24bit CD is....Hmmmph......HDR as it is currently, will also improve quite a bit going forward as well......it's just how technology works

In any case, here's a description on the set I highlighted earlier as it relates to 10 bit....

Color Depth Show Help : 10 Bit

The TV accepts a 10 bit input, and displays it smoothly. There are some tints visible in the grayscale, but overall a good result without any banding.

Top Bottom