• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry PS4 Pro Launch Coverage Begins

leng jai

What's the rush? You got a plasma with (likely) good black levels and a good PQ, why jump on the 4K-HDR boat when it's still THIS fresh? Especially for HDR there's barely any content (you can count the games on one hand, probably.

Just wait it out and at best enjoy downsampling, for now.

I also have a plasma (ST60) and personally i'm waiting for a good OLED with a decent price, because i can't go back to shitty black levels, or at the very least an excellent FA lcd.

Basically the same as me. I have a 42inch VT Panny Plasma and the picture quality is still better than most LCDs today. No rush to jump on the 4K TV train for at least another few years.

Nothing is ever future proof really though is it, so how long do you wait ?because when HDMI 2.1 comes out, there will be something new coming the year after, HDMI 2.2 or HDMI 3 or whatever. I mean companies are already working on 8k TV's and 4k hasn't even taken off properly yet.

While it might be smart to wait until next year in a way, the very latest TV's now, are already very good for HDR, so I guess its down to if you can wait or not.

At this poiny we don't know if 2.1 is able to be updated in firmware. However Samsung went on record to say the functionality would come to their 2016 tv line. Not sure if that means they will do a firmware update or that the One Connect box can be swapped out for a newer one.

For me the combination of the nebulous information regarding 4k, HDR, 444 chroma, etc, along with the fact that I'm still severely attached to my panny plasma is enough to make me want to wait until at least next fall to jump in on a 4k HDR set.

I'm still bitter that plasma is gone, it's so superior to LCD. I haven't seen a single LCD set come close to it, including my 4k Vizio m series (non HDR).

I feel like OLED is the path forward, but it's still way too expensive. Just not a good time to buy right now i think.

What's the rush? You got a plasma with (likely) good black levels and a good PQ, why jump on the 4K-HDR boat when it's still THIS fresh? Especially for HDR there's barely any content (you can count the games on one hand, probably.

Just wait it out and at best enjoy downsampling, for now.

I also have a plasma (ST60) and personally i'm waiting for a good OLED with a decent price, because i can't go back to shitty black levels, or at the very least an excellent FA lcd.

Thanks for all your input guys. I have ( pretty tough decision :D ) decided to give it more time. My Panny ( also an ST60 ) still rocks and I'll enjoy the Pro as the ultimate downsampling console. Now, on to gaming ( spend too much time reading these threads, but it feels nice to have made a decision ).

Thanks for all your input guys. I have ( pretty tough decision :D ) decided to give it more time. My Panny ( also an ST60 ) still rocks and I'll enjoy the Pro as the ultimate downsampling console. Now, on to gaming ( spend too much time reading these threads, but it feels nice to have made a decision ).

Ditto. My VT50 is still fantastic and given the confusion around HDR, I'm content to remain a 1080peasant for the foreseeable.

Theonik

Yup, I cannot wait for the 'REAL 4K vs 4fauxK' fights to begin. I'm really curious if Scorpio's performance delta will translate well to the screen, especially if they would be pushing native 4k. I can see a sort of reverse PS4/X1 situation happening, with the big difference that Sony is a year early this time.
It'll be more interesting since the performance delta isn't sufficient to make a game that is running at half 4K in native 4K. They will still look better though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Enjoying a great big 60 inch 1080p screen with Pro is my ultimate recommendation. HDR still needs time in the oven to sort itself out, and why blow money on a 4K TV at this stage when you can't even fully take advantage of it yet?

DBT85

Enjoying a great big 60 inch 1080p screen with Pro is my ultimate recommendation. HDR still needs time in the oven to sort itself out, and why blow money on a 4K TV at this stage when you can't even fully take advantage of it yet?

Is this your recommendation based on having a Pro, a 4ktv and seeing it for yourself?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I have a VT60 and I'm itching to grab an HDR OLED set, hehe.
We'll see, I'll wait until CES in January before I decide.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is this your recommendation based on having a Pro, a 4ktv and seeing it for yourself?

Why I do feel like folks are trying to talk themselves out a 4K TV?
mjlol.png

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Let's be fair – probably like 75% of technology recommendations come down to, "This is one the I bought, so to convince myself that I did the right thing and to minimize potential buyer's remorse, you should get it too."

Whenever it's not early, 8k TVs are going to be coming out...

In a decade.

Let's be fair – probably like 75% of technology recommendations come down to, "This is one the I bought, so to convince myself that I did the right thing and to minimize potential buyer's remorse, you should get it too."

Pretty much. If you could filter buying advice by confirmation bias, there wouldn't be much left to read. (Even on NeoGAF where you'd hope people are speaking from a place of knowledge.)

Expensive shit dude, and no best of all worlds choice yet.

And there never will be. There's always more to spend, more features, more whatever. At some point you say, "I'm interested in an upgrade," and you go with it.

You got people on this very page mentioning 8k. There's always something on the horizon.

From the video: "As you guys know, I work for Sony"

I'll wait on independent source.

farisr

Whenever it's not early, 8k TVs are going to be coming out...
Yeah, there's always something better coming out, it's the nature of tech. But honestly, I would recommend for people that are on the fence, to wait at least a year or so by which time I think the HDR situation will be a bit more stable. HDR games are just now coming out, Windows OS available to the public at the moment doesn't even support HDR yet. So much confusion around settings, what it's supposed to look like, TVs having problems with the signal the consoles are sending etc etc.

By this time next year, I think the whole thing will be a lot more clear, and far more simple than what people are having to go through these days.
lmao

Forum avatar checks out, haha.

Totally agree. It's why I basically ignore Amazon reviews on tech.

I try to be as in biased as possible, but it's hard on the more expensive stuff. You really dont know what your true feelings are about something until you've had it for quite a while, and even then saying it's shit when you paid $500 for it or something is hard.

I have a few things that i totally disagree with reviews and general opinion on. One would be my Asus vs248h-p monitor ( since replaced). It had great reviews and recommendations everywhere, and the panel is shit. Awful color accuracy, terrible viewing angle, horrendous gamma, etc.

I'm also comfortable saying the two Samsung LCD sets I've owned suck. Terrible black levels, bad out of the box color and gamma, bad motion blur. Even the 4k Vizio m series 2015 I have I'd give like a 6.5. it's alright. The avsforums owner thread however made it out to be the second coming.

My Panasonic g25 50" plasma from 2010? That thing is a 9, easily. PQ is still phenomenal.

I find it had to take people's rec on new 4k sets here, everyone just says their TV is awesome lol.

From the video: "As you guys know, I work for Sony"

I'll wait on independent source.

His other videos are titled PS4 Pro hate campaign. A quick glance looks like crapgamer level stuff but on the Sony side? First I've heard of a hate campaign.

Still I'm sure it's quiet. The acid test in 12-24 months from now. Many launch PS4s are very loud. My launch PS3 went very loud, pretty much went to take off mode 3 months before getting ylod. My PS3 slim is very quiet and shows no signs of breaking a sweat.

Latimer

Banned
And there never will be. There's always more to spend, more features, more whatever. At some point you say, "I'm interested in an upgrade," and you go with it.

Yea you're right, I just meant all of the features that you really want in a 4k TV..everthing has a compromise and the only ones that get really close are many thousands, I think in a year or two there will bve really great choices at much better values. And by then there will be a lot more 4k content.

Tijmen

I bought a PlayStation 4 Slim expecting it to be the most silent out of all three models, but it looks like I was mistaken. The Pro in that one video sounds way more silent than my Slim.

Evo X

I have a VT60 plasma, yet I still ordered an LG OLED because of that deal.

Maybe I'm coming from a different place, but $1,500 for literally the best picture quality available right now seems dirt cheap to me.

I spent $1,300 on a pc monitor a few months ago and it is worse in all aspects except for refresh rate and response time. I mostly play single player games using a wireless controller from my couch now so input lag is not as big a deal for me.

There's no right or wrong thing to do when it comes to tech. The current batch of the 4K HDR displays are fantastic. If you can get one to enjoy games and movies, have fun. If not, feel free to wait for improved features and lower prices, but don't pretend like there isn't an appreciable difference or that people buying now are wasting their money.

Theonik

I bought a PlayStation 4 Slim expecting it to be the most silent out of all three models, but it looks like I was mistaken. The Pro in that one video sounds way more silent than my Slim.
Remember, pro has a larger cooler and the chip is larger too which makes heat transfer more efficient. When running unpatched games it should be extremely silent too due to the downclock. Much better than the slim.

personally I'm just waiting for all the HDR standards to settle down before upgrading.
Same. I was sorely tempted today as I saw a EU ks7000 available today at about 70% of rrp but meh. The improvements to 1080p will be worth it for me, and I'll probably pick up a PSVR before year's end.

scitek

If the PS4 Pro uses HDMI 2.0a, then today's TVs will not be the limiting factor in the future -- unless future PS4 Pro models are upgraded.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Many launch PS4s are very loud.
PS4s were loud, right then at launch, but I think many people didn't realize as not everyone played the same games. It really all depended on a game. Games with unlocked framerate, like KZ:SF or I:SS would bring the hairdryer out of just about any PS4 I've seen. More recently, title screen of UC4, as well as the interior night scenes where you carry a torch (scenes that feature the realtime GI lighting) also make PS4s super loud.

Kyrios

PS4s were loud, right then at launch, but I think many people didn't realize as not everyone played the same games. It really all depended on a game. Games with unlocked framerate, like KZ:SF or I:SS would bring the hairdryer out of just about any PS4 I've seen.

Yep. I got my PS4 a month before I:SS released. It was super quiet during AC: Black Flag and Thief. Second Son was the first time I heard my PS4's fans.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think I'm waiting at least a year. Have you been in any of the "x game got hdr" threads? Seems like a real headache to me
Oh god & that HDR chroma madness of 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 and etc...I can see where you're coming from lol. I hope LG kills it with their 2017 OLED models cause I'm getting tired of waiting. Still on my old ass 1080p Samsung DLP. That OLED 4K jump + HDR should be pretty damn nice.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Oh god & that HDR chroma madness of 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 and etc...I can see where you're coming from lol. I hope LG kills it with their 2017 OLED models cause I'm getting tired of waiting. Still on my old ass 1080p Samsung DLP. That OLED 4K jump + HDR should be pretty damn nice.

That's a question of the HDMI standard, not so much the sets.

Traxtech

After down sampling pc games in the past it makes me so happy because I've seen the results you can get!! I hope developers bring patches for older games, shouldn't be hard considering pc options available etc

icespide

Banned
Ah yeah it helps that I bought a pretty nice 1080 set last year that I'm thrilled with

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's no right or wrong thing to do when it comes to tech. The current batch of the 4K HDR displays are fantastic. If you can get one to enjoy games and movies, have fun. If not, feel free to wait for improved features and lower prices, but don't pretend like there isn't an appreciable difference or that people buying now are wasting their money.

FdiX35a.gif

Top Bottom