• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry PS4 Pro Launch Coverage Begins

BFIB

I'd love a 4K set, but we just got a new house, new bills, so a new TV will go on the backburner for now.

Hopefully in a few years the price will adjust even lower and I"ll dip my toes in the water then. I am very pleased to see how the Pro is downsampling for 1080P in some cases. MLB The Show 17 is going to look glorious!

anothertech

Nah, Xbone/PS4/Pro1080 is all they need to compare since bone and og Ps4 don't do 4K.

They can do a separate pro4k vs PC4k if they want to.

And then the inevitable pro4k/scorpio4k in 2018.

What times ahead!

III-V

I'd be surprised if it was.

Wasn't the PS4 only supposed to of have 1.4 but it was designed with more bandwidth than required so that it can do more?

honestly thats a good point, and I don't know. Reading through the HDMI specification for 1.4, it does not list support for HDR. This comes at HDMI 2.0.

So it may be the case that the PS4 1.4 supported the similar bandwidth as 2.0, or that the 1.4 to 2.0 update can be done through software, or 1.4 could support HDR, and no update was required.

Why I do feel like folks are trying to talk themselves out a 4K TV?
mjlol.png

I've had to talk myself out of buying an Xbox One S, a 4K TV, Playstation VR, a Playstation 4 pro and a new graphics card for my PC. I feel like I'm hype surfing, always on the edge of falling into the deep waters of spending.

They're all extreme luxuries that I really want but can't justify purchasing right now. Maybe next year. So it doesn't surprise me that others also in the same boat.

Man oh man, looks like I might be able to swing a PS4 Pro to go along with my 4K TV.

My old white Destiny PS4 is doing the constant disc eject fuckery, but luckily I purchased an extended replacement warranty. I'm going to take it back, and see if I can pay the difference to get a Pro. Hopefully it works out!

I had absolutely no intention of owning a 4K TV or Pro a couple of months ago. My old TV was sorely in need of an upgrade, and there was a killer deal I couldn't pass up. If you're not in a position where you are due for a new TV waiting is a good idea, but if you're in the market for a new set 4K is clearly where it's at.

9 hours to go, if I'm not mistaken.
I hope the face-offs won't reveal the PRO as a flop, but as a hit.

Digital Foundry has already been showing off some very positive stuff. Whether people are impressed is going to be a matter of opinion, but it clearly isn't a flop.

Theman2k

Digital Foundry has already been showing off some very positive stuff. Whether people are impressed is going to be a matter of opinion, but it clearly isn't a flop.

Are you talking about the conference hands-on time? Yeah, they were positive about the checkerboard solution.
But I need to see a comprehensive analysis for most games to know what the consensus is.
Framerate and times, SATA III, 1080p improvements interest me the most.

Are you talking about the conference hands-on time? Yeah, they were positive about the checkerboard solution.
But I need to see a comprehensive analysis for most games to know what the consensus is.
Framerate and times, SATA III, 1080p improvements interest me the most.

I was talking about the TF2 screenshots and commentary they put up. Certainly not comprehensive, but very positive nonetheless. We'll get our full coverage tomorrow presumably.

Theman2k

I was talking about the TF2 screenshots and commentary they put up. Certainly not comprehensive, but very positive nonetheless. We'll get our full coverage tomorrow presumably.
About the PS4 PRO?
Is it a youtube video? or an article? Can you link me please ?

Thanks.

Conduit

Banned
PS4s were loud, right then at launch, but I think many people didn't realize as not everyone played the same games.

They had played indies?? I cleaned PS4 after 2 years. PS4 get more louder, but after cleaning, PS4 was pretty quiet then. Like when i bought it. Of course, played KZ : SF, U4, GTA V, Bloodborne, DkS III and bunch of other games. You need to clean up PS4 from dust.

So this GAF member is from DF?
I saw that thread but I didn't realize it's related to DF somehow.

Looking back at it, maybe they took their own pro shots and the normal ps4 shots were from DF (They mention DF there so I was under the impression they all were). Maybe they aren't all from DF.

Hawk269

I don't have a 4K TV but I do have PSVR. Convince me to keep my preorder, because I may be canceling.

Hold on to the pre-order until some people here get the Pro early that can test the PSVR with. I also have a PSVR and me returning is dependent on what the Pro can do for the PSVR. If it improves things significantly, I am keeping the PSVR.

Looking back at it, maybe they took their own pro shots and the normal ps4 shots were from DF (They mention DF there so I was under the impression they all were). Maybe they aren't all from DF.

That thread is a bit misleading.

The Pro shots origin are from a user here who was playing in PS4 Pro 4k and have been resized by another neogaf user in photoshop or similar (insert your image resizing app/website here) and portrayed as being "from PS4 Pro while downsampling to 1080p". One PS4 OG shot is from DF and the other is full of black crush from neogaf user with a similar name to omegabalung

So literally someone posted their 4k shots and then someone resized them and is claiming they're from a PS4 Pro downsampling to 1080p. They're not. They may be representative of a actual PS4 Pro downsampling or they not be. I'd want to see the genuine article rather than some random user resizing with an unspecified app with unknown settings and we have no idea what the PS4 Pro may or may not do in terms the type of downscale it will use, whether it will use a Gaussian blur filter, whether it has smoothness applied like Nvidia has but fixed, whether PS4 pro adds a slight sharpen filter. GIve me a genuine PS4 Pro downsampling shot and not some users resizng them in god knows what.

Decided to pass for now. Maybe around end of Winter I will upgrade.

-please don't there be any amazing FFXV shots- cause that would send me back on the ASAP path.

Theman2k

The Pro shots origin are from a user here who was playing in PS4 Pro 4k and have been resized by another neogaf user in photoshop or similar (insert your image resizing app/website here) and portrayed as being "from PS4 Pro while downsampling to 1080p". One PS4 OG shot is from DF and the other is full of black crush from neogaf user with a similar name to omegabalung

So literally someone posted their 4k shots and then someone resized them and is claiming they're from a PS4 Pro downsampling to 1080p. They're not. They may be representative of a actual PS4 Pro downsampling or they not be. I'd want to see the genuine article rather than some random user resizing with an unspecified app with unknown settings and we have no idea what the PS4 Pro may or may not do in terms the type of downscale it will use, whether it will use a Gaussian blur filter, whether it has smoothness applied like Nvidia has but fixed, whether PS4 pro adds a slight sharpen filter. GIve me a genuine PS4 Pro downsampling shot and not some users resizng them in god knows what.

Thanks for the clarification!
It is really misleading, I hope what we will get to see today looks the same or even better.

DBT85

There are shots in there literally from a Pro in 4k mode, a Pro in 1080 mode and a 4k downscaled to 1080 in photoshop. The Pro in 1080 and the photoshop resize look identical.

jobrro

So is all PS4 Pro information able to be revealed after today's embargo lifts? PSVR had a couple of embargo dates, one being the day before launch IIRC.

kriskrosbbk

I am not really sure how the embargo lift will help me decide.Ex.I am interested on BF1 on Pro but the patch will be released only on 13th.

spwolf

Why is there a press embargo on this thing? Ridiculous.

they didnt now want people to delay their PS4 purchase or PSVR purchase due to Pro.

I thought difference between OG and Pro was quite big, but in PSVR, difference is huge. It is like night and day, due to PSVR games being scaled back graphically.

Why is there a press embargo on this thing? Ridiculous.

It helps control the messaging and let's the news all hit the media at once for maximum coverage, while holding off for this long will help minimise the lose in sales for the PS4 Slim, which likely has a higher profit margin.

It is still ridiculous, and dicks over uninformed customers that bought the Slim without knowing this was around the corner, but it makes sense on Sony's end to do it this way.

It helps control the messaging and let's the news all hit the media at once for maximum coverage, while holding off for this long will help minimise the lose in sales for the PS4 Slim, which likely has a higher profit margin.

It is still ridiculous, and dicks over uninformed customers that bought the Slim without knowing this was around the corner
, but it makes sense on Sony's end to do it this way.

I'm sorry, but that's complete nonsense.

You were on the money until the bolded part, and went off the tracks :)

The embargo is also for those who got a PS4 Pro for testing, and it allows for quality journalism instead of rushing out misinformation and half-formed impressions for quick clicks.

Do you sincerely think Sony has an embargo on impressions because of PS4 Slim? PS4 Pro has been in the news for the past week regardless of this particular embargo.

god I hate things like that. It's soon 10AM in europe -_-" I wish they would always choose the earliest time zone.

Maybe things will change if Trump is elected - not that I want to even counitence the option. It is pretty obvious America won't be very great if he is in charge. And I mean that in every sense of the word.

FFXV was shown at the London event and the embargo on that content is in a few hours.

I know.... @.@

FFXV is my deciding factor though. As much as a new desktop would be more versatile, I've fallen for the XV hype after the positive recent previews, gameplay, and performance enhancements. Getting a Pro version of it running even cleaner would just send me over the edge.

Blizzje

I know.... @.@

FFXV is my deciding factor though. As much as a new desktop would be more versatile, I've fallen for the XV hype after the positive recent previews, gameplay, and performance enhancements. Getting a Pro version of it running even cleaner would just send me over the edge.

When exactly is the embargo up?

Top Bottom