• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Super Mario Odyssey - Docked vs Handheld Comparison

Surprised so many are disappointed by 900p. It's an open-world game, running at 60fps, on portable hardware. Damn crazy that Nintendo can pull this off.

Hopefully they implement dynamic res, bump the cutscene resolution, and make further improvements to the photo mode.

Neoweee

I never understood people who felt like they could have a platform game spoiled for them.

Any type of travel-adventure game is going to have a lot of people that enjoy being surprised at the locations and sites you end up visiting. I don't think it is that different from people spoilering some of the more arresting locations/views in Dark Souls 3. Different strokes for different folks.

But if they're on blackout, then they really should know better than to wander into any thread for the game, because they should know they are in the minority.

Irminsul

Yeah, or at least some form AA.
I'm pretty sure there is some form of AA.

Just take a look at those screenshots from DF's take on MK8, Zelda: BotW, and SMO. I scaled all screenshots with factor two on both axes, with no interpolation:

mk8obukj.png

botwmsu3i.png

smop2uoj.png

While part of SMO's fuzziness is no doubt due to its resolution (see BotW vs. ML8), the edges are noticeably smoother than in MK8 and BotW. Yes, it's not the best form of AA, but it's there.

orioto

Good Art™
The part i liked is that it was probably 720p at first cause optimized first for the portable. That should always be the case.

Hermii

Summary:

- 900p/60fps in docked (NO dynamic res)
-720p/60fps in undocked (NO dynamic res)
- Cutscenes in portable mode have the horizontal resolution halved, so cutscenes run at 640px720p (no mention about the same for docked mode)
-Snapshot mode runs at 30fps, but adds AA, expands geometry quality, and improves texture filtering
- Lower res lighting buffer in portable mode
- Shadows in portable mode are lower quality than in docked mode
- The game feels like a game made specifically for the Switch, rather than a transferred Wii U project (jab at Splatoon 2?)

According to old leaks by Laura Kate Dale or Emily Rogers, it is actually a transferred Wii U project. Who knows how accurate these leaks are though.

This is great news for my 65 inch television. 720p doesn't look so hot on it but 900p is noticeably better. The Gamersyde videos looked great here. 60fps is something i did not expect, holy shitballs.

Doesn't matter, get that 60fps Odyssey goodness into my veins, please!

Can't believe we have games like BoTW & Odyssey to play on the go!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
According to old leaks by Laura Kate Dale or Emily Rogers, it is actually a transferred Wii U project. Who knows how accurate these leaks are though.

A Laura Kate Dale software leak that isn’t Ubisoft? Don’t believe it for a second.

conpfreak

This is absolutely a project that started out on the Wii U. It looks better than 3D World, but the assets are obviously designed for hardware closer to Wii U.

It probably was. It's only been 6 months since BotW came out, it's likely these were both in development for Wii U at the same time. These is also likely nothing in this game that the Switch could do that the Wii U couldn't aside from resolution and some of the advanced post processing.

That said, they undoubtedly put that extra time to push the graphics.

To be fair is in the minority of Nintendo developed games that don't hit 1080p 60fps, I can only think of BotW.

Has any Nintendo made Switch title hit 1080p 60fps besides Mario Kart? Cursory investigation says ARMS aside from any sort of multiplayer where it drops.

MrPanic

The fact that the game drops to 30fps for photo mode to up the graphical details for the screenshot is a really cool detail imo. This game is looking like a visual treat so far.

Any type of travel-adventure game is going to have a lot of people that enjoy being surprised at the locations and sites you end up visiting. I don't think it is that different from people spoilering some of the more arresting locations/views in Dark Souls 3. Different strokes for different folks.

But if they're on blackout, then they really should know better than to wander into any thread for the game, because they should know they are in the minority.

I think it's okay for people to try to read about a game's performance and visuals without being spoiled on locations.

Neoweee

I think it's okay for people to try to read about a game's performance and visuals without being spoiled on locations.

But it is done by videos. They inherently spoil stuff. Digital Foundry shows stuff to demonstrate the tech. It isn't just footage of them talking at the camera.

The game looks very pretty and runs great.

Switch games seem to be built for handheld mode and then optimized for docked mode at a later date.
Makes sense like building games for PS4 first and making a pro build after.
Splatoon, Zelda, and now this had late docked mode optimizations.
Zelda ran poorly until the first month patch, Splatoon was 720p a few months before release, Mario was at e3.
Expecting Xenoblade to get a boost too

Downgrading assets for the portable makes sense. Harder to see lower quality assets in handheld mode.

720p 60fps on the handheld should be a treat

jett

D-Member
I'm impressed by all the graphical upgrades they actually bothered to do for the docked mode, beyond just upping the resolution.

Considering how dated the graphics look technically, I would hope it would at least be 1080p60.

Not thrilled but I can definitely life with 900p60

Can't wait.

Base ps4 and Xbox one were struggling with 1080 p 60fps games, they hardly hit that. I remember Xbox being 900 p many times, and ps4 hitting 30fps

If anything I'm glad it's 60 fps for Mario.

Game looks beautiful, and the art style really helps

Not dated at all.

Should be. Puts the game on par (in terms of pixels per second) with BF4, BF Hardlines, SW Battlefront, Mirrors Edge Catalyst, Tekken 7, Uncharted 4 Multi and Nier Automata on base PS4. And that's not counting games with dynamic resolutions that can drops below 900p or games running at an inferior 900p30.

Of course those games all push a higher graphical fidelity than SMO, but given the performance gap between the two systems keeping up in that regard is good enough.

You guys need to give it a rest.

But it is done by videos. They inherently spoil stuff. Digital Foundry shows stuff to demonstrate the tech. It isn't just footage of them talking at the camera.

Sure, this is true.

But your post I quoted said basically "don't go into any threads about this game," which I take issue with (mostly because I see it said a lot about "TOXIC SPOILER CULTURE"). Some people want to read about things like performance and graphics (in a GAF thread) without getting significantly spoiled, which I think is reasonable.

Hopefully DF can clarify the AA situation. The video did say something like "even with no AA to speak of" but looking at stills it's hard to believe there's not at least some level of AA going on.

Also OP you may wanna take that "no AA" out of there until we get this confirmed one way or the other.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Different genres, different scales, different demands...but I'm still pretty amazed at the graphical and technical differences between Breath of the Wild (900p, 30fps) and Super Mario Odyssey (900p, 60fps). As we get further and further away from Wii U development roots, I'm expecting and excited for Nintendo's games to continue to look better and better.

Nice to get confirmation that they were able to bump the resolution. It was expected, but still nice to know for sure.

Game looks great and can't wait to play it. I can't wait to play it and see if it lives up to the hype, which is a tall order but it seems like it may be up for the task.

sanstesy

There is definitely some sort of AA applied. Game looks not as jaggy as MK8 for example outside of New Donk (which has very noticably AA turned off).

Nice improvement that they've made to the game going from the E3 build to this new preview build. Not surprised if Nintendo focuses on Handheld Mode optimization first and then focuses on tweaking and improving the game's resolution via TV Mode like what DF has stated.

Can't wait for this game to come! I'm really glad they're releasing it in October and not November like Nintendo usually does for their big releases for pre-Black Friday buzz, so I can play the game sooner than I initially thought before E3 revealed the release date. So excited!

Banned
No AA for a Nintendo first party game again. Ugh. Even some FXAA when docked would be acceptable. Guess they maxed out what it could do while maintaining 60fps.

I was hoping for 1080p60 in docked mode.

There is definitely some sort of AA applied. Game looks not as jaggy as MK8 for example outside of New Donk (which has very noticably AA turned off).

This. Either people aren't actually looking at the video, or they can't tell the difference between the two, in which case they are complaining for nothing.

I watched the whole video and don't remember ever saying no AA, not sure why it's in OP.

This. Either people aren't actually looking at the video, or they can't tell the difference between the two, in which case they are complaining for nothing.

I watched the whole video and don't remember ever saying no AA, not sure why it's in OP.

Around 1:20 he says "even without any antialiasing to speak of, the game looks superb"

I do agree that there has to be some AA applied, compared to MK8D this basically has no jaggies. So I'd appreciate some clarification from Digital Foundry.

Top Bottom