• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I haven't had time to read this whole thread, but I haven't seen any Scorpio size estimates anywhere yet so i decided to make my own.

I based this off of lining up the back HDMI/IR ports from topdown pictures of all three xbox mother boards.

It is not meant to be 100% accurate, but i did spend a good bit of time making sure it was as close as I could get it.

Should give a decent estimate of how big the Scorpio box will be (though height is still a complete unknown)

With the numbers of the mobo layout should be able to work out the height roughly from the 3d render. To me it looks like it will be a little larger than the S in width and length but the height closer to the original XB1.

rYNpSuv.png

GrayDock

Scorpio looks like an awesome machine that will be able to deliver awesome visuals, but I think it'll have the same problem that the Pro has: only 1st party games will really show what is capable off, which is a shame.

And in this regard, 1st party, MS doesn't have a lot to show right now. It can change at this E3, but it doesn't look like.

fantomena

To me, the opportunity to play multiplatform games and X360 games better without to buy a new 4K TV is a no-brainer day one buy to me!

Good for you. I just don't really have them time in the world to replay and in general play older games anymore, at least to replay games.

My PC if fully capable of tackling 4k60 FPS, but Im still stuck with a 1080 60hz monitor. :p

I do have tried some Nvidia DSR and some MS games offers resolution scale, which is very cool.

m23

Yeah if Scorpio makes a decent impact then I bet Sony will tease PS5 at E3 2018 for a 2019 release (like MS did last year) but if Scorpio isn't selling like crazy, then they could wait until E3 2019 for a 2020 release.

I don't think anyone is expecting Scorpio to sell very much, not even Microsoft. Sony does not need to react. Scorpio isn't being made to sell like crazy, it is a very targeted device.

I don't think anyone is expecting Scorpio to sell very much, not even Microsoft. Sony does not need to react. Scorpio isn't being made to sell like crazy, it is a very targeted device.
Correct. It's being made for and will be marketed towards enthusiast hardcore gamers who want the best 3rd party console experience and folks who want to stay in the Xbox ecosystem and also have a more powerful machine.

They'll sell more Xbox One S units than Scorpios, and that's okay.

Bsigg12

I can definitely see them applying the strategy they used for the One S here. Release a "limited" SKU in August/September with a 2Tb HDD and no game bundled it. Follow that up with 1Tb models that come with a game in October/November.

I'd be there day 1 for a 2TB SKU in September without a game bundled. Just give me the damn system.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
They could do a CES Sega Saturn style "It's available at local retailers RIGHT NOW" Style release, amirite? :D

They did release the 360 Slim same day/week as the announcement, would be brilliant if they did with this or within a week or two.

Zedox

I don't think MS will bundle games as much as bundling GamePass. I think that's what they are going to go with. Especially for selling to parents...yea...

This is not going to happen, you know this.

To be honest,
in theory, the Scorpio should be more than capable of not only doing 1080 60 on any 4k 30 game, but it should actually be able to handle 1440p 60 or beyond with ease. It's all just down to how well the CPU is optimized, because the GPU is more than up to the task. Downsampling 1440p at 60 fps for 1080p users could be an awesome choice as well.

Also, if Checkerboarding proves to be really effective, we could potentially see a lot of games shooting for 4k Checkerboard at 60fps on Scorpio, with improved visual fidelity.

Considering that a lot of people still won't have 4k TVs when they get a Scorpio, I would personally love to see developers giving players more choice over visual settings. Having the options to choose between true 4k at 30fps and Checkboarded 4k at 60fps would be slick.

Bsigg12

I don't think MS will bundle games as much as bundling GamePass. I think that's what they are going to go with. Especially for selling to parents...yea...

Oooh that's a good point. I think that will be standard eventually but I do see them bundling tentpole releases with the system especially during the holidays.

KageMaru

To be honest,
in theory, the Scorpio should be more than capable of not only doing 1080 60 on any 4k 30 game, but it should actually be able to handle 1440p 60 or beyond with ease. It's all just down to how well the CPU is optimized, because the GPU is more than up to the task. Downsampling 1440p at 60 fps for 1080p users could be an awesome choice as well.

Also, if Checkerboarding proves to be really effective, we could potentially see a lot of games shooting for 4k Checkerboard at 60fps on Scorpio, with improved visual fidelity.

Considering that a lot of people still won't have 4k TVs when they get a Scorpio, I would personally love to see developers giving players more choice over visual settings. Having the options to choose between true 4k at 30fps and Checkboarded 4k at 60fps would be slick.

If a game is CPU bound, it's unlikely to be hitting 1080p60 or 1440p60 unless it was already close to hitting 60fps on other consoles.

Chobel

GamePass won't sell consoles, at least not for next couple of years. So games will be continue to be bundled.

So, we might hear some 3rd party devs chime in on the Scorpio soon i suspect? Dev kits are probably arriving now? Unleashing the 100% in june as rumor goes?

Would be a good intake to hear from a dev who has worked on it first hand and in an interview.

I'd be there day 1 for a 2TB SKU in September without a game bundled. Just give me the damn system.

I'm hoping my prediction is correct then! Personally, I'd hold off and wait for a game bundle. I really want Scorpio, but getting a free game that I already planned on buying would help me justify the cost a bit more. Especially in a year when I already bought a Switch.

I'm almost willing to bet on that being their approach though. It just makes too much sense while also allowing them to still have a competitive SKU for the holiday.

RAWRferal

Scorpio looks like an awesome machine that will be able to deliver awesome visuals, but I think it'll have the same problem that the Pro has: only 1st party games will really show what is capable off, which is a shame.

And in this regard, 1st party, MS doesn't have a lot to show right now. It can change at this E3, but it doesn't look like.

This isn't even remotely true. What about games like ROTTR?

Syrus

Banned

The system itself will make all games 4k I believe therefore making them look better.

With PRO and Scorpio out I think all gamrs will have options now and be better looking

If a game is CPU bound, it's unlikely to be hitting 1080p60 or 1440p60 unless it was already close to hitting 60fps on other consoles.

Exactly, which was what I was suggesting. It depends on the degree to which the game is CPU bound, that extra CPU power could help a fair amount, especially if the game reverts to 1080p or 1440p textures in 1080p mode, or minimizes asset streaming. I couldn't see many games getting patched, while also doing heavy, further multi-core optimizations, since it would be a ton of work.

If the game was simply GPU bound though, it should be a breeze to hit 60. I'd imagine a lot of games were taxed more on the GPU end on X1.

Mr Swine

Banned
So will MS market this as a new console or just a 4K Xbox One console? I think that these kind of mid gen upgrades for consoles are hard to do. How is the PS4 Pro selling so far? Maybe something to compare to but that depends on if it's more expensive than that

Theorry

Xbox 720 please.

It's time.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they just called it Xbox 4K.

Calling it Xbox 4K is as stupid as calling the OG Xbox One, Xbox 720.
You know with the whole 720p games in the beginning. Calling it Xbox 4K when its possible some games arent going to be 4K is a PR nightmare.

Focus tests will show that the HARDCORE
xbox
enthusiasts, who will actually want to buy this thing, would rather choose Xbox Scorpio. Due to the Scorpion name showing badassery and perhaps a little bit of dominance, or edge like appeal.

JK IDK WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT YALLL .

Xbox One 4K. Gets across that it is a true 4k device unlike the PS4 pro, and also has a 4 in the name so it is at least equal to the ps4 in peoples minds.

Somnia

So, we might hear some 3rd party devs chime in on the Scorpio soon i suspect? Dev kits are probably arriving now? Unleashing the 100% in june as rumor goes?

Would be a good intake to hear from a dev who has worked on it first hand and in an interview.

That all depends on what restrictions MS has in place on discussing the system.

Hairsplash

Digital Foundry speculated in the article of a price of $499 but it's anyone's guess.

It is going to be 499. Why?, ps4pro is 400. (And all of the tech inside the scorpio is at least equal or better than the ps4pro)
What does the scorpio have that the ps4pro does not have?...

vapour chamber cooler (alot of copper, expensive at least 20 dollars)
4GB RAM extra 10 dollars?...
the UHD drive 20 dollars?...
plus the cost of the packin game... Forza maybe?... ( needed to show the super awesome 1337 squared überness of the 4K mode) and the cost of that is the amount that people will not be spenting on it.. so 50 dollars?...
and there is 100 extra dollars.
So 500us... although i can see them pricing it at 450US, so that it is 600 canadian.

I hope that the Xbox scorpio does not go Schlimmbesserung... lol. because the Xbox one compared to the scorpio is a huge drag, if you have to make both games run " equivalently "

because... all of the complaints in the eurogamer/DF articles are a result of making the ps4pro game run " equivalently " to the ps4...IMO.

I'm not going to touch any Scorpio with a ten foot pole

I'll use my hands damn it!

I'm never going to pay for one either
my wife always buys any newly released console(s) for my birthday and Christmas - I'm spoiled

I'll never even go to a store and look at one

we enjoy online shopping

I'm a little conflicted about the specs, but I am a console enthusiast and end up with most of them anyway. MS sort of lost me at "watercooler" this gen, so I'm happy to be more than ready for Scorpio.

Tripolygon

Banned
Uh no, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the original X1 or the PS4 has DX12 implemented via hardware.
PS4 does not use DirectX so why would they implement DX specific functions into the APU? But Xbox One does have some DX extension support in the hardware.

Please give me the percentage of all pro-patched games that render in 4K.
Now of only the games that are not just indie 2D sprites or remasters.
Now only of the games in which the 4K mode doesn't have to sacrifice performance for the native 4K.
The answers, in order, are:
43.6%
30.7%
27.7%

The PS4 Pro was marketed as a machine to play PS4 games at 4K. It very clearly can't pull that off at PS4-level quality and framerates.
Completely untrue. See above.

Console optimization is fundamentally better than PC optimization and they naturally ARE, because they have access to lower level, more close-to-the-metal graphics APIs than are available on the PC, and this is fact.
No, it's not fact, not anymore. PC now also has access to thin APIs, such as Vulkan or the newest iterations of DX12. Consoles still perform a little better than paper-equivalent PC hardware, but this is mostly down to single-target optimization. APIs don't get in the way nearly as much anymore (which is why Microsoft had to customize Scorpio's API utilization to see any advantage there).

This is why consoles such as Xbox One, which was considered underpowered in 2013, is STILL in 2017 holding up and making games look competitive compared to high powered graphic cards.
Completely and utterly false. No Xbox One game looks anywhere near competitive to high-end PCs.

PS4 Pro: 8 GB, 5.5 GB for games
Xbox Scorpio: 12 GB, 8 GB for games
A slight correction: PS4 Pro has 9GB of RAM total, not 8.

In what universe does that look bad?
Not bad, but definitely compromised amd not top-of-the-line either. Look at the crowd and stand detail on the left, the fence on the right, the comparatively low-poly models, or the ubiquitous jaggies.

Uh no, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the original X1 or the PS4 has DX12 implemented via hardware.
They likely could've. My understanding is that all GCN GPU hardware schedulers are programmable via microcode.

Bundling with Game Pass would definitely make sense.
I don't see the sense. Why would Microsoft take their most expensive service product--potentially the biggest moneymaker they have--and make it free?

Top Bottom