• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Having worked at a Microsoft store for a short period of time, I'd say that's very likely.

Edit:

So the DX12 hardware integration on Scorpio is also present in Xbox One? Link
I legit got the impression yesterday that this was Scorpio's secret sauce. In reality it is also present in the xbone. Lame

frogger

Here is an important question.
I have a 4TB external hard drive, about 80% full. Can I use it directly on the new console? It would suck if I have to download 3TB again.

Oh no my friend. More is coming.

RR1WuBO.gif

Mooaaarrr!

Beat me to it.

I'm on the podcast but this forum will hate it. I'm trying to REALLY oversimplify the DF piece for a more casual audience. Don't expect anything new really, it's a recap. Unless you like to hear me and Larry banter with each other.

Richard has said he's got more stories coming. I do not have insight into when those will hit. Possibly this weekend?

And it wasn't publicized too much yesterday, but Gamasutra will also have a deep-dive on our development work for those that are into that sort of thing. That hits next week I believe and I think people will dig hearing about how developers will create for both Xbox One and Scorpio.

So yes, moar.

Beat me to it.

I'm on the podcast but this forum will hate it. I'm trying to REALLY oversimplify the DF piece for a more casual audience. Don't expect anything new really, it's a recap. Unless you like to hear me and Larry banter with each other.

Richard has said he's got more stories coming. I do not have insight into when those will hit. Possibly this weekend?

And it wasn't publicized too much yesterday, but Gamasutra will also have a deep-dive on our development work for those that are into that sort of thing. That hits next week I believe and I think people will dig hearing about how developers will create for both Xbox One and Scorpio.

So yes, moar.

Oh yes, love those. Awesome.

Ushay

Beat me to it.

So yes, moar.
Now this is better. Hearing straight from the devs.

Beat me to it.

So yes, moar.

Will we hear how developers will create for PC as well...?

Raide

Beat me to it.

So yes, moar.

Looking forward to more information.

Beat me to it.

So yes, moar.
Sounds good!

Digital Foundry for the Specs, Gamasutra for the Development Story. The Xbox team really has it's head it's shoulders this time in regards to how they tell their story, and through what means. It's really refreshing.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Beat me to it.

So yes, moar.

Hot damn. Give it to me

Vinc

I hope they have some decent trade-in deals for peeps like me who have the original day one XB1 w/ Kinect. I remember Microsoft stores had decent deals in Canada where you could mail in your original console for a deep discount on the S, but I held off for Scorpio. I kinda want to get a 4K TV and the Scorpio for multiplats + 4K Blu-Rays.

ganaconda

Not if it's a better proessor that can handle more commands faster than xb1 can.

And you would be correct that is improved, but what the exact improvements are have yet to be revealed. Full quote:

[UPDATE 7/4/17 20:44: Microsoft's Andrew Goossen has been in touch to clarify that D3D12 support at the hardware level is actually a part of the existing Xbox One and Xbox One S too. "Scorpio builds on the Command Processor capability present in the original Xbox One," we're told. "Our implementation of D3D12 supports all Xbox Ones, and games have already shipped that use it. When a game using D3D12 starts up, we reprogram the GPU's Command Processor front-end. The 50 per cent CPU rendering overhead improvement was reported by shipping games. The amount of win is dependent on the game engine and content, and not all games will see that size of improvement. Scorpio's Command Processor provides additional capability and programmability beyond what Xbox One/Xbox One S can do. We plan to take advantage of this in the future."]

Jumeira

Banned
Beat me to it.

So yes, moar.
Wonderful. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look out for it.

And you would be correct that is improved, but what the exact improvements are have yet to be revealed. Full quote:

[UPDATE 7/4/17 20:44: Microsoft's Andrew Goossen has been in touch to clarify that D3D12 support at the hardware level is actually a part of the existing Xbox One and Xbox One S too. "Scorpio builds on the Command Processor capability present in the original Xbox One," we're told. "Our implementation of D3D12 supports all Xbox Ones, and games have already shipped that use it. When a game using D3D12 starts up, we reprogram the GPU's Command Processor front-end. The 50 per cent CPU rendering overhead improvement was reported by shipping games. The amount of win is dependent on the game engine and content, and not all games will see that size of improvement. Scorpio's Command Processor provides additional capability and programmability beyond what Xbox One/Xbox One S can do. We plan to take advantage of this in the future."]

Well, there it is. People can calm down now with the secret sauce talk.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed

Top Bottom