• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's John: Been talking to developers, people will be pleasantly surprised with PS5's results

Because l was looking only at the paper specs and PS5 looked to have way less bootlenecks than Series X that makes development easy.

That why I said at least.

Now looking at the actual hardware performance I’m not sure if that situation will really change even after 2022.

Xbox has the compute processing power... so maybe devs can use it in some situations.

The point is PS5 focus on remove processing bootlenecks makes it run better even with less power... efficiency is the key here... it can use more and better the amount of compute power available.

I see, I was just curious that's all, these initial performance comparisons are interesting to say the least

TLZ

Banned
Because l was looking only at the paper specs and PS5 looked to have way less bootlenecks than Series X that makes development easy.

That why I said at least.

Now looking at the actual hardware performance I’m not sure if that situation will really change even after 2022.

Xbox has the compute processing power... so maybe devs can use it in some situations.

The point is PS5 focus on remove processing bootlenecks makes it run better even with less power... efficiency is the key here... it can use more and better the amount of compute power available.
So kinda like the Nvidia v AMD situation?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
On hindsight, i guess no one really expect ps5 to be so goddamn easy to tap its hardware.
Can we say ps5 is the easiest to develop for console, ever, by far?

It helps cerny was/is a games developer/programmer.
I think thats the strength sony brings to amd, hands on team with thousands upon thousands of data from years of ps games. 🤷‍♀️
If only some ppl at least tried to look at it like this months ago....

Cerny being in actual game development, some ppl should have given him and his choices the benefit of the doubt.

What's wild is some ppl had accepted the XSX would be the one showing advantages, literally accepted it. But that didn't stop the PS FUD brigade from Xbox fanatics.

Once again, you reap what you sow...

Azurro

Banned
nice job with spreading the 'dual design limitations' FUD.
we shall see.
obviously sony has mastered the tools and apis with ps5.

while there is truths in that SS/SX/OneX/One takes up dev time, cant wait for once MS migrates OneX/One support to the xcloud.
We should start seeing better presets using SX/SS as the base.

I know, this plan of action sounds and leaves a lot to be desired, for those who are used to 'generation' cut-offs.
But it seems this is the way in the long haul. As games ecosystem shift to a sub model, to one that ties you down to login account and library.

Oh Jesus, I wish there was a facepalm emoji here. No, it's not FUD, when a project has two objectives, you make sure it can accomplish both, which will condition all decisions, I don't know how this is taken as spreading FUD.

Obviously Sony's hardware is performing better so we are speculating the reason, it's not only the tools and APIs as you say since the performance difference is too significant for that, in some cases the PS5 is outputting a resolution with 30 to 40% higher pixel count over the Xbox, like in AC Valhalla and almost every single game with a next gen version performs better on PS5.

The Xbox is very nice hardware too, no need to be so defensive. You shouldn't have put so much of your identity into that machine being better though, let alone the trolling though, because now you are embarrassed and feel silly.

John Wick

Sony produced what they have been aiming to do for a long time.

Sony got burnt big time by the PS3, and learnt valuable lessons from Microsoft with how well designed a system the 360 was, and it was so far better designed than the PS3, it wasn't funny.
Better Ram set up, better GPU, far easier to program CPU, all while being cheaper and released a year earlier.

When Cerny took over the reigns he made the PS4 to be way more efficient and better designed than the PS3, and he has taken it even further with the PS5.
Sticking with a 36CU GPU, but clocked as high as they could safely get it to, basic API, and advanced tools and development environments that flow straight on from the PS4 ones.
For what Sony wanted, they certainly nailed it.
MS went a different direction, totally new API extensions such as Mesh Shaders, VRS, SFS, machine learning as well as XVA, larger GPU, not as straight forward Ram set up amongst others. They also brought the PC development tools along with the Xbox ones, meaning a more wide spead set of tools, while Sony is purely focused on one console.
I am not shocked that Sony came out of the blocks as quick as they did. I think it is a result of what their aims were.
Will be interesting to watch how it progresses. I personally think that the XSX will have longer legs and push past the PS5 as time goes on and devs get used to these new API features.
For what we thought was going to be a pretty boring generation with two consoles being very similar, they are far more different than we thought.
Fun times ahead.
You make it sound like MS are the only ones who've thought of forward planning. Just because MS made a list of hardware features for DX12U doesn't mean Sony doesn't have some great features of their own. Sony worked with devs like Epic Games for the feature set of the PS5. I think it will be the PS5 that will show more when devs really start using the GE features, advanced IO and super fast SSD.

Hunnybun

You make it sound like MS are the only ones who've thought of forward planning. Just because MS made a list of hardware features for DX12U doesn't mean Sony doesn't have some great features of their own. Sony worked with devs like Epic Games for the feature set of the PS5. I think it will be the PS5 that will show more when devs really start using the GE features, advanced IO and super fast SSD.

Yeah defo. I still think the Xbox might just gain the advantage in multiplats long term (but by a trivial amount) but the more exotic features of the PS5, plus their unbelievably talented developers, means I'm 90% certain that the best looking games of the generation will almost all be on that system.

Actually I think we already saw that with the Pro. The only game on the 1X that looked up to the best on the Pro was RDR2.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If only some ppl at least tried to look at it like this months ago....

Cerny being in actual game development, some ppl should have given him and his choices the benefit of the doubt.

What's wild is some ppl had accepted the XSX would be the one showing advantages, literally accepted it. But that didn't stop the PS FUD brigade from Xbox fanatics.

Once again, you reap what you sow...
TBH, I also thought the difference would be at least 15-20% with the potential to be upto 40% if all that FUD about the PS5 clocks, lack of VRS and it heating up was true. I even fell for the Dusk Golem nonsense about the PS5 running at half the resolution of the xsx version.

But 15-20% was pretty much a given and yet we are not even seeing that anymore. It was all nonsense and it seems Andrew Reiner, Colin Moriarity, Kleegamefan on era and Jason Schrier were all right about devs telling them the ps5 was more powerful.

SNG32

This reminds me of the PS3 and 360. The PS3 was a beast system but 360 performed better.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
TBH, I also thought the difference would be at least 15-20% with the potential to be upto 40% if all that FUD about the PS5 clocks, lack of VRS and it heating up was true. I even fell for the Dusk Golem nonsense about the PS5 running at half the resolution of the xsx version.

But 15-20% was pretty much a given and yet we are not even seeing that anymore. It was all nonsense and it seems Andrew Reiner, Colin Moriarity, Kleegamefan on era and Jason Schrier were all right about devs telling them the ps5 was more powerful.

Same here. I thought for sure we would see the PS5 relying on DRS while XSX would be bragging about having native resolutions and such. Obviously there is much more to it than a single teraflop number, but that was would Microsoft hung their "most powerful console" hat on. I think the results we are seeing has more to do with the "custom" aspect of the PS5's APU.

the whole SX dual purpose console/xcloud is just fud, started by @geordiemp.

imo
MS designed the most powerful game console they think they can with the available parts.
Sony just managed to beat them out on the tools and api, because their master chief designer has game development background. 🤷‍♀️

See.....this tools and api bit seems like a narrative of convenience to me. All the bluster and bragging from Microsoft throughout this year only to be brought down by shitty software? So Sony has better software developers? Really?

Hell.....Microsoft needs to outsource DirectX to Sony for proper development in that case.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Have no idea why a 2 month old post was quoted but since I was finally able to buy an Xbox Series X off the Microsoft Store, once I get it on December 23rd, I can finally start playing Watch Dogs Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Gears Tactics. Considering I will be playing on an LG CX OLED, any minor issues won't exist for me but if anyone wants to bash me for preferring Xbox Series X over PlayStation 5, go ahead. It doesn't affect me whatsoever especially since im barely on this site anyway and it will be even less once I receive the Xbox Series X because I would much rather spend my time playing games instead of talking about them.

But hey, to each to their own. Happy Gaming!!! :)

Topher

Gold Member
Have no idea why a 2 month old post was quoted but since I was finally able to buy an Xbox Series X off the Microsoft Store, once I get it on December 23rd, I can finally start playing Watch Dogs Legion, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Gears Tactics. Considering I will be playing on an LG CX OLED, any minor issues won't exist for me but if anyone wants to bash me for preferring Xbox Series X over PlayStation 5, go ahead. It doesn't affect me whatsoever especially since im barely on this site anyway and it will be even less once I receive the Xbox Series X because I would much rather spend my time playing games instead of talking about them.

giphy.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

What are you doing?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Same here. I thought for sure we would see the PS5 relying on DRS while XSX would be bragging about having native resolutions and such. Obviously there is much more to it than a single teraflop number, but that was would Microsoft hung their "most powerful console" hat on. I think the results we are seeing has more to do with the "custom" aspect of the PS5's APU.

See.....this tools and api bit seems like a narrative of convenience to me. All the bluster and bragging from Microsoft throughout this year only to be brought down by shitty software? So Sony has better software developers? Really?

Hell.....Microsoft needs to outsource DirectX to Sony for proper development in that case.
Sony does not unify development of thousand platforms into single SDK (dubbed GDK) and also Sony low-level access does not have overhead of DirectX, which for some reason is problem for MS even on closed platforms. And this is demotrable from previous gen. With that said I am blown away how XS works, so I probably take less part in this in the near future. Up until tomorrow there was no console for me, so I needed some other entertainment.

Klayzer

Nice strawman. Nobody is attacking you for your Series X preference. The debate is about performance between the two on 3rd party releases. Stop trying to play up the victim narrative.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nice strawman. Nobody is attacking you for your Series X preference. The debate is about performance between the two on 3rd party releases. Stop trying to play up the victim narrative.

The multi-platform comparisons are hilarious because Xbox Series X is equal or slightly worse than PlayStation 5 using the old XDK tools and im supposed to be worried? If anything, im happy. Way better than I was expecting once I knew Microsoft was behind compared to Sony in regards to their dev kits and tool sets. If it's still this way in a year when the new GDK/SDK is finalized, then I will be worried but until then, nah. Three weeks into a generation and people are acting like it's been years already.

I'm not a victim of anything because I barely post here and simply don't care. If people want to quote me from two months ago, that says more about those people than it does about me but whatever man, buy and play what you want.

Jim wants that avatar gone by tommorow morning.

AMD Whitepaper is inferring it has architecture that increases teraflop performance with less basis on increased clock speed's/CU Counts and bandwidth - this is a welcomed/expected side effect / benefit of die shrinks and will only grow larger and larger the closer we get to 3 nanometer's and ultimately 1.3 nanometers and below.

The Teraflop will remain firm at the standard 4 trillion calculation's per second barring improvement's to the architecture meant solely to boost the calculation throughput - as is to be expected.

Architecture improvement's can also bolster a single teraflop's performance.

Hardware revisions/improvements will continue to see the teraflop calculation throughput bolstered even higher - past the standard 4 trillion calculation per second threshold it is at currently with mere software optimization and efficiency issues sorted out - I would say through hardware optimization's alone you may be able to squeeze out 4.7 trillion calculations a second bare minimum, but up to 10 Trillion calculation's a second and far more than that in the future - utilizing die shrink's as they are currently - but that will improve vastly and these same hardware improvements will permit those previously mentioned software improvement's to produce far.... far... greater result's.

Teraflop performance matter's less (not really - it always ALWAYS matters) when you take a machine learning program *COUGH*DLSS 5.0 *COUGH* that can recreate a scene in game verbatim utilizing very little data - this is what we refer to as disruptive performance gains. And plenty... plenty of those are on the horizon - along with pure software optimization that bolster's performance 100,000%. Lot's to be excited about in that Arena.
If you're a scientist looking for high performance compute from your GPUs, you're going to buy Quadro/Tesla or Radeon Instinct. In pure compute workloads more teraflops undoubtedly matter.

Games however, are not pure compute workloads. More FLOPS certainly is better, but what matters more is shader occupation and scaling. The more shaders you shove into a GPU, without proper scheduling (Be it via a hardware scheduler or driver scheduler) most of these shaders sit idle and do absolutely fucking nothing for your games.

See: Vega 64 Vs the 1080Ti. The Vega 64 had 4096 shaders and the 1080Ti had 3584. And yet the 1080Ti butchered the Vega 64 in games by an average of 30%.
See also: Ampere Vs RDNA2. The 3080 has 8704 shaders where the 6800XT has a paltry 4608. And yet the 6800XT is ±5% of the 3080 in gaming workloads. We're talking a ~30TF GPU VS a ~20TF GPU both performing near enough identically in games.
The only times the massive shader advantage plays to the 3080s benefit is at higher resolution where the massive number of pixels can fill up all those otherwise idle shaders.

Note also that in both examples above the faster clocking card had higher performance per FLOP in games:
Vega 64 @ 1500MHz on average vs. the 1080Ti @ 1900MHz on average.
3080 @ 1800MHz on average Vs the 6800XT @ 2300MHz average.
Of course the differences in architecture play a bigger role, but it's something to consider regardless.

Memory bandwidth helps improve performance per FLOP as well. Radeon VII has 3840 shaders but thanks to its massive 1024MB/s memory bandwidth it smokes Vega 64 with it's paltry 484MB/s at ISO clockspeed. It's the reason Nvidia spent so much time and money making the power hungry GDDR6X to feed it's massively compute heavy Ampere architecture.

Ultimately. Compute performance is compute performance. And that's great if you're a scientist who wants to do a lot of mathematics very fast. But this is a gaming forum and we're dealing with games. Games do not scale linearly with compute performance in the same way mathematics does (I mean if you look at actual compute benchmarks you'll see that even pure compute workloads often don't reach a given GPUs peak theoretical compute performance).

It's unwise to use compute performance as a barometer between two different GPU architectures. The PS5 and Xbox are theoretically the same GPU architectures so you should be able to compare them reasonably well. The Series X will undoubtedly have an advantage in compute bound games. But as we know games aren't purely compute bound. Th PS5 and Xbox both have 64 ROPs but the PS5 is clocked at 2230MHz Vs 1825MHz. So the PS5 will have a higher pixel fillrate. We have some inkling that the PS5 also has some unique geometry features that place it somewhat ahead of the series X. Even if both geometry pipelines for the pair of consoles were identical, both have 4 shader Engines so the PS5s higher clocks will give it a higher triangle throughput. I'm sure the Xbox also has some customisation that give it a feature advantage. But the ultimate point is that they're not both identical GPUs so things aren't quite so clear cut. There's also the matter of the CPUs. The Xbox has a higher clocked CPU, but the PS5 is reported to have a unified L3 cache. We know games are highly latency sensitive so the unified L3 cache will give the PS5 some advantage in gaming workloads in terms of CPU performance.

TL;DR. It's not that simple.

soulbait

The multi-platform comparisons are hilarious because Xbox Series X is equal or slightly worse than PlayStation 5 using the old XDK tools and im supposed to be worried? If anything, im happy. Way better than I was expecting once I knew Microsoft was behind compared to Sony in regards to their dev kits and tool sets. If it's still this way in a year when the new GDK/SDK is finalized, then I will be worried but until then, nah. Three weeks into a generation and people are acting like it's been years already.

I'm not a victim of anything because I barely post here and simply don't care. If people want to quote me from two months ago, that says more about those people than it does about me but whatever man, buy and play what you want.

Worried about what? What is there to be worried about? Worried that one console might slightly out perform the other? Why even worry about it? What does it matter?

Both the PS5 and the Xbox Series X are powerful machines. They are both the most powerful consoles ever made. On paper, Xbox has the most power. As of now, it looks like PS5 has a slight lead when it comes to frame drops. In the end, it does not matter. I don't own a PS5 yet, but I am enjoying my Xbox Series X. I could care less if the PS5 ends up being more powerful overall throughout the generation even if I only have a XSX (I will be getting a PS5 though). What the hell is there ever to worry about when it comes to a console's power performance compared to another?

Only time to worry is when games that you are interested stop being made for the console of your choice. Until then, just enjoy the damn consoles!

MonarchJT

Banned
Oh Jesus, I wish there was a facepalm emoji here. No, it's not FUD, when a project has two objectives, you make sure it can accomplish both, which will condition all decisions, I don't know how this is taken as spreading FUD.

Obviously Sony's hardware is performing better so we are speculating the reason, it's not only the tools and APIs as you say since the performance difference is too significant for that, in some cases the PS5 is outputting a resolution with 30 to 40% higher pixel count over the Xbox, like in AC Valhalla and almost every single game with a next gen version performs better on PS5.

The Xbox is very nice hardware too, no need to be so defensive. You shouldn't have put so much of your identity into that machine being better though, let alone the trolling though, because now you are embarrassed and feel silly.
the console are not even out from 30 days...one have tf / bw/ cpu / cu's advantage .....the other been out for Devs from 1 year........wait before talking ...

Topher

Gold Member

But this is you talking about head to head comparisons in November. Now you want to punt this to next year?

When the head to head game comparisons happen in November and the two consoles get compared, I really hope it's any of the other four guys that do the comparing because John just doesn't seem capable of being impartial, fair and critical of Sony and PlayStation 5 if/when needed.

ShoddyLimpingIvorybilledwoodpecker-small.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I meant worried in terms of if the games are broken or need major patches to get them up and running using the new GDK/SDK. It has nothing to do with the platform comparison because better or not, Series X is my primary gaming console for the entire ninth generation and nothing is going to change that.

ethomaz

Banned

You were quoted due that nonsense.
I bolded the most laughable parts.

Not surprised by John's comments. He seems to be completely unwilling to possibly believe that maybe just maybe the Xbox Series X is simply the far better designed console in every aspect. He's complained all year about not being a fan of Microsoft being cross-gen for about two years if that but Sony announced a few games being cross-gen and outside of a single tweet, I haven't seen, read or heard him complain continuously about it like he's done with Xbox. Like, how does that work? If they're both doing the same shit and Sony seems to be doing cross-gen twice as long according to Jim "dance moves" Ryan, shouldn't he be realistically complaining about Sony's cross-gen approach twice as much?

Love it when I see people say this developer said this or that or even when these developers tweet. They're making games for both these consoles at the requests of the publishers that's signing their paychecks. Like, WTF else are they going to say?

Microsoft sent out their Xbox Series X prototypes on September 23rd if I remember correctly which was 7 weeks before launch to Gaming Media and YouTubers as well as Digital Foundry yet I don't see Sony doing that shit yet? When will they do that? November 11th? SMH.

When the head to head game comparisons happen in November and the two consoles get compared, I really hope it's any of the other four guys that do the comparing because John just doesn't seem capable of being impartial, fair and critical of Sony and PlayStation 5 if/when needed.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I meant worried in terms of if the games are broken or need major patches to get them up and running using the new GDK/SDK. It has nothing to do with the platform comparison because better or not, Series X is my primary gaming console for the entire ninth generation and nothing is going to change that.

Not what you said, but whatever. Enjoy your XSX.

Gudji

the console are not even out from 30 days...one have tf / bw/ cpu / cu's advantage .....the other been out for Devs from 1 year........wait before talking ...

Nonsense. Both devkits have been available to devs for a very long time at least the big publishers, which are the majority of games being analyzed.

Also PS5 has several hardware advantages over XSX but for some reason people just like to ignore those.

It is what it is, both consoles will be trading blows during the generation unlike what some here predicted.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You never said anything like that in your quoted post lol

You did tried to make Series X the most superior and the one that will win the games comparisons to the point to ask DF to put somebody else to not try to cover that “supposed” PS5 “weakness”.

Now you become a poster that think you should play games where you want lol

How the world spins lol

Two completely different attitudes... before from dream and now the reality.

What I can say? Enjoy your Xbox and next time try to think before post assumptions based in FUD marketing if you don’t want to be quoted about what you said ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Oh...........I still stand by what I said months ago. Xbox Series X WILL outperform PlayStation 5 in regards to multi-platform games. It's been 3 weeks. Not 7 years. If PS5 wins the first year but loses every year afterwards, that first year won't matter at all. Feel free to copy and save this post too. LMAO.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh...........I still stand by what I said months ago. Xbox Series X WILL outperform PlayStation 5 in regards to multi-platform games. It's been 3 weeks. Not 7 years. If PS5 wins the first year but loses every year afterwards, that first year won't matter at all. Feel free to copy and save this post too. LMAO.
That is more like you 🔥

I will remember that post in time...

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That is more like you 🔥

I will remember that post in time...

Hahahaha. It is.

Even if in 7 years when the next gen consoles release, if Xbox Series X outperforms PlayStation 5 by a single game (like 3045-3044 or some shit), that is still a WIN. LMAO.

Cool. I'm sure you will. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Klayzer

You never said anything like that in your quoted post lol

You did tried to make Series X the most superior and the one that will win the games comparisons to the point to ask DF to put somebody else to not try to cover that “supposed” PS5 “weakness”.

Now you become a poster that think you should play games where you want lol

How the world spins lol

Two completely different attitudes... before from dream and now the reality.

What I can say? Enjoy your Xbox and next time try to think before post assumptions based in FUD marketing if you don’t want to be quoted about what you said ;)
QFT. Its all about the games ....after the fact. The Series X crowd wasn't saying that shit before the analysis came in.

Now, they want everyone to sing cum ba ya, and preach unity. All the green warriors have somehow turned into pacifists all a sudden.

MonarchJT

Banned
Nonsense. Both devkits have been available to devs for a very long time at least the big publishers, which are the majority of games being analyzed.

Also PS5 has several hardware advantages over XSX but for some reason people just like to ignore those.

It is what it is, both consoles will be trading blows during the generation unlike what some here predicted.
non sense and not true ...one devkits was out months and months before the other ..as been said multiple times from devs and ms too

Topher

Gold Member

Dude......you are spinning....

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Gudji

non sense and not true ...one devkits was out months and months before the other ..as been said multiple times from devs and ms too

Both companies always send early devkits to major publishers in order to get feedback, we had insiders talking about these consoles since early 2019, if you think otherwise then you're just plain ingenuous. Also even if what you said were true, that still doesn't explain the performance differences.

You know you could have just done the honourable thing and admit you were wrong. We have all been there.

Top Bottom