• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

Effect

it's not that 30fps is unplayable. I garner it's about Doom at 30fps which is unplayable or not ideal.

No way in hell is that game unplayable at 30fps. That crap in general needs to stop. Is it ideal? No! 30fps is not some horrible thing though and I will never accept people trying to act like it is.

killatopak

What again is trash....plenty of enjoyment to be had at 30fps. Embarrassing reaction in here and I can bet that more then half the people who said they won't play it don't even own a switch!

Yes there's enjoyment to be had on 30fps as well. I'm just waiting for reviews of the game since most of the people who previously played Doom say that 60fps is required. To be clear, I haven't played any version of Doom yet so waiting for that Switch release until I decide which platform to play it on.

Okay, so there's no chance of 720p docked?

There could be if they implement a dynamic resolution on docked. It seems that the 30fps reported by DF is not a locked one. Keep in mind though the game played by Richard doesn't seem to be the final version of the game. There could still be optimizations coming out in the three months til release and it seems everybody in the thread is forgetting about it.

No way in hell is that game unplayable at 30fps. That crap in general needs to stop. Is it ideal? No! 30fps is not some horrible thing though and I will never accept people trying to act like it is.

It's not my opinion. Just what I see from some posts.

Apparently not everyone know.

They could have downgraded it further to reach 60fps. Apparently it still has the whole post-process effects, depth of field and that sort of effects running on ?
They announced DOOM for the console, proclaiming that it's the same experience with the same DOOM-feel, and it's not asinine to expect 60fps based on that. Again, in my opinion, if no matter how they did it, they couldn't have reached 60fps, they shouldn't have bother porting the game at all, because in both cases it wouldn't feel good to play (especially for the 60$ version), and it's not the true DOOM.

You haven't even seen it running or read impressions at all and you're already sure that they could get it to 60fps. The people who played it said it was fine. They said 30fps was inevitable. You can wait at least 1 day and read some more impressions before coming out with could have and should haves.

And lol, if to port games to the Switch they need to cut the framerate in half they sure as hell are gonna cut the framerate in half. Like why should other people not play a product because you demand 60fps? Did you foot the bill?

At least the RandomGaminginHD fandom should be able to tolerate it.

gtj1092

And they are faster than the CPu’s In the Xbox and PS

And the Xbox and PS versions run at 60Fps so I don't get why they are being brought up?

That's the thing for a year we've been hearing how shitty the jaguar cpu is and how clock for clock this and that switch is better but in the end the games are getting downgraded.

Although it's amusing watching people twist them selves in knots to be ok with 30fps games after bemoaning PS4/X1 games for the entire generation.

N21

Considering switch has less than a 1/3 the power of a og xbox one in docked mode im not sure why people expected more from this port. Having the game run in portable mode at all is kind of crazy.

I thought the Switch is around 700Gflops, which should be around more than half of the original XB1 power?

Cerbero

Then why are they trusted at all here if they are going to just skew everything to fit their agenda of "having access to content"? Wouldn't that kill their credibility?

Oh it's not like they lie, they alway provide frame rates and hard facts but they have a habit of downplaying things a bit with their wording, if something is a dumpster fire they usually call it "not optimal" or something similar.

You can't really go around throwing publishers under the bus and not expect to be blacklisted or some other form of retaliation, it's not unheard of.

JoeInky

That and along a scanline filter would be a pretty bad ass mode for the game, though!

Can we get this for the switch version please

i6oOzHH.png

FinalAres

I thought the Switch is around 700Gflops, which should be around more than half of the original XB1 power?

It's just under 400, docked. So 3x as powerful as PS3, whereas XB1 is (very roughly) 9x as powerful. At least in GLOPS terms.

It's handheld Doom. It's not for everyone but its got an audience.

2K games put NBA2K on the system - some people didn't care for a 30FPS sports game, some people were thrilled to have a full version of NBA2K on the go.

It's amazing how a positive DF analysis can get such reactions. They were basically saying - it's handheld Doom and it works. If you don't care for handheld Doom this wasn't for you in the first place, if you do care for handheld Doom then this looks like your best shot to get it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Back on N64 we would have cheered about locked 30 fps. ;-)

Hell, we pretty much cheer about locked 30fps on today's consoles...

I'm gonna keep asking my "does anyone else think gyro controls in Doom would be fun" question here because I don't think people are going to see it at the framerate the last few pages have been running on. I feel like that would be some goody, hectic shit. Admittedly, I haven't played more than an hour of Doom so maybe it'd be a mess given how fast the game is.

iswasdoes

Did anyone catch the DF retro on the doom ports? The GBA port was highly praised for its ability to take the doom experience and shrink it down into handheld.

History repeating

I'm gonna keep asking my "does anyone else think gyro controls in Doom would be fun" question here because I don't think people are going to see it at the framerate the last few pages have been running on. I feel like that would be some goody, hectic shit. Admittedly, I haven't played more than an hour of Doom so maybe it'd be a mess given how fast the game is.

I didnt realise that was confirmed - yeah im pleased for that. Ive recently come to the opinion that everything should have a gyro control option

Glad to see we finally have some impressions, though it's interesting that they didn't have much footage. Were they not at the preview event?

Anyway, 30 vs 60 is a tradeoff I expected for the Switch version of a modern console game. If it looks good in action, I'm all in just to support games like this coming to the platform. I also never got to play all the way through DOOM so this'll be my first chance.

M3d10n

Yeah, there was no way this would run at 60fps. My GTX 760 couldn't keep 60fps, FFS. I beat the game at 30fps most of the time at the lowest settings. I have no idea why people call ID6 "highly scalable". Is it because 60fps games on consoles are so rare that suddenly they think any engine capable of producing them is scalable all the way down to the Nintendo DS or something?

sirap

I replayed Doom with a Steam Controller + Gyro aiming and it was really fun.

knerl

What's stopping you from getting Doom on other systems if you aren't satisfied with the Switch performance of 3rdParty titles?

Don't even know of your post is about Doom since we haven't seen the Switch version yet.

Cost power ratio? I mean that's like complain that you Galaxy S8 can't outperform your PS4Pro even though it costs more. Different devices.

Already have it on PC. It's about this game and all games on Switch in general.
I took the New 3DS XL as an example since that shit cost 2/3 of a Switch. Them being different devices doesn't justify it. Sure. Switch is portable, but it's also said to be 2-3x more powerful than a WiiU and I haven't really seen that yet.

Switch is supposed to replace a WiiU as a stationary console being portable second in my opinion. That makes it a competitor to PS4 and Xbox One. PS4 and Xbox One are also different devices to each other, but they at least have reasonable price tags for what you get.

I might be off topic, but do you know what they want for a separate dock for Switch?
About $160. Piece of plastic with an AC adapter and USB C to HDMI/USB hub.

Schnozberry

It's less than ideal, certainly. 60fps really enhances the doom experience because it really adds to the frenetic pace the game lends itself to. But I think people saying 30fps is unplayable must have just started playing games around the time that 30/60fps became some kind e-peen argument where everyone has to take hard stances. I originally played Doom on a low end 486, and loved every second of it, and that shit was nowhere near 30fps.

That said, 30fps with some clever motion blur, as long as the input lag is low, is a damn fine effort on the Switch for a game like Doom. It's a tablet SOC, after all.

King_Moc

Banned
Digital Foundry seem amazed.

Hilarious to see some of the console warrior reactions here though, lol. The handheld mode has less than 200gflops, it's a serious technical achievement.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I didnt realise that was confirmed - yeah im pleased for that. Ive recently come to the opinion that everything should have a gyro control option

Nononono, sorry I was just speculating. I'm hoping they add it in but, given the fast nature of Doom, I wasn't sure if it would be feasible or fun.

Given that they haven't mentioned it, I'm a tad concerned they won't bother.

I replayed Doom with a Steam Controller + Gyro aiming and it was really fun.

Sweeeeet

Zyae

Hilarious to see some of the console warrior reactions here though, lol. The handheld mode has less than 200gflops, it's a serious technical achievement.

Yeah its pretty hilarious. Digital Foundry played it and is impressed but a bunch of internet "Experts" that havent say meh

LordKano

Those things you mention - post process effects like depth of field and perobject motion blur - are engine features which are run on the GPU. The game itself - a.i., level size, amount of necessary geometry on screen to represent the 3d objects in the game space, the sound simulation, the path finding, etc. - all run on the CPU. That CPU in the Switch, through the logic of deduction and analogy like DF did, cannot run THE GAME at 60 fps. No reduction in visuall quality would make Doom run at 60 fps on Switich. It would have to be a different game entirely.

Disabling those effects might not be enough to DOUBLE the frame rate though.

To achieve 60, they may have had to go even lower in resolution or seriously scale back on the poly count for models or give everything terrible blurry textures, etc. Basically, it's not something they were prepared to do.

I'll believe you, you're probably more keen on tech than me. If it wasn't possible no matter how, then maybe "bad port" isn't adapted and "bad version of the game" is more fitting.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The ๖ۜBronx;249535602 said:
*Ignoring the fact that the people that have actually played it said it still feels good to play.

Pretty easy to ignore someone claiming Doom feels good at 30fps.

m00h

Banned
I'd love to read autobiographies about people who are impulsively emphasizing that they are out because of the DOOM port on the Switch being 30 fps. They must have a really exciting life.

Rayis

All of you disappointed, I'm sorry but you only have yourselves to blame, your sky high expectations were unrealistic with what the Switch is capable of, I'm happy the game is on the system at all.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes there's enjoyment to be had on 30fps as well. I'm just waiting for reviews of the game since most of the people who previously played Doom say that 60fps is required. To be clear, I haven't played any version of Doom yet so waiting for that Switch release until I decide which platform to play it on.

Eh, DooM 60fps is required in the same sense that Destiny 2 60fps is required. It feels much better since its really smoother. 60fps > 30fps is a fact. You have the people that tried Destiny 2 PC Beta and said they couldn't get back to 30fps console destiny. But many like to think that their system of choice is the sweet spot, so 60fps is required for DooM but 30fps is perfectly fine for Destiny 2.

As someone who played DooM at 90fps, I can tell you that indeed, 30fps will be a downgrade, but won't be unplayable and will still be a better game than most 30fps console shooters. I mean, gameplay is not really faster than DOOM at high difficulty level and people played that at 20fps if they were lucky.

NimbusD

Wish Nintendo could release more of a powerhouse again for a console. Their rather poor image quality shows early on in a lot of games. Sure. Sometimes they nail it even at lower resolutions, but I'm getting a bit sick of paying more for less in this department. Say what you want, but their shit is expensive (and not really that impressive feature wise all the time) in terms of the power you get. Just got a used New 3DS XL and boy am I glad I got it used saving a lot of cash. Just to point out the power - cost ratio.
I mean, this is a powerhouse for the form factor that it is. But I get what you mean. It'd be nice to see alternate timeline Nintendo that had something in line w PS4. Would love to see Zelda or something else like that. As it is I like the direction Nintendo went. I just hope we get games that sort of fit within the limits of the system.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if a number were people who own a gaming PC and dislike the idea of there being a 'poor' version of their beloved DOOM (2016). As a primarily console gamer I'm really excited at the thought of being able to play that game on a portable device. It's not often I see console owners spark up the "30FPS is unacceptable" argument, unless they own a Pro.

thefro

Glad to see we finally have some impressions, though it's interesting that they didn't have much footage. Were they not at the preview event?

Anyway, 30 vs 60 is a tradeoff I expected for the Switch version of a modern console game. If it looks good in action, I'm all in just to support games like this coming to the platform. I also never got to play all the way through DOOM so this'll be my first chance.

I watched a mirror and they were at a preview event and played for 40 minutes across a variety of levels undocked. They couldn't take video. No footage to analyze so it was based off comparing the Direct footage ripped off Youtube compared to PS4. They also try to simulate Switch on a low level PC, but Switch undocked outperformed the PC with "Switch docked" specs. He said the version he played on Switch looked like the Direct footage and was 30 fps with some drops in busier scenes. They speculated that it was being limited by CPU since their "Switch docked" PC was maxing out there.

Panic Button did the port, not ID Software.

The lowest possible. Also an i5 2500k.

I wonder if the i5 might have been the limiting factor then, though the current consoles are weaker still on either CPU or GPU. On the other hand, that would only prove the point of how the Switch's CPU could be even more of a bottleneck.

Suppose we were all getting our hopes up with 60.

Spasm

My PC rig couldn't quite manage Doom at 4k60, so I ran it locked at 4k30 for a while. I enjoyed it just fine. 30Hz will be a fine experience, especially on a handled.

But I do confess that I ended up settling on 1440@60 in the end.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

It's nothing to do with being a "console warrior". Don't make assumptions. It's just disappointing because the fast smooth gameplay is what makes Doom what it is. 60fps is a big part of that, and Doom Switch will lose something. It won't quite be the same game. Technical achievement or not, something important is being lost in translation.

EDarkness

Yeah its pretty hilarious. Digital Foundry played it and is impressed but a bunch of internet "Experts" that havent say meh

Just because DF liked it and can deal with it's shortcomings, does not mean everyone else has to as well. There are trade offs, and you can like them or not. That up to each individual to decide.

big_z

if you fill your switch with secret sauce maybe. it's only around 380 docked, 170 while in handheld. it's closer to last gen than current gen but having more modern hardware helps with efficiency.

Top Bottom