• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

Guys the embargo is apparently up in an hour and 10 minutes, hopefully someone has off screen footage.

Digital Foundry seem amazed.

Hilarious to see some of the console warrior reactions here though, lol. The handheld mode has less than 200gflops, it's a serious technical achievement.

Reminds me of the Snake Pass analysis where they were seriously impressed by the visuals despite the low resolution (on all platforms) yet all people focused on were the numbers.

I love Digital Foundry but their analyses are ripe for use by console warriors and people who love to talk specs but barely actually know what they're talking about, and that can get frustrating. Oh well, internet gonna internet.

iswasdoes

The ๖ۜBronx;249538653 said:
It's not often I see console owners spark up the "30FPS is unacceptable" argument, unless they own a Pro.

This is what amuses/annoys me most about this thread. Ive got a gaming pc but I HATE the PCMR bullshit - its just an excuse for people to be an elitist prick. I would have thought console gamers who are always on the receiving end of it would get that and praise the achievements of the port. But instead, they've found the one opportunity where a game actually runs at locked 60 on their consoles and have used it to be elitist pricks themselves!

I love how everyone has yet to try the game are all doom and gloom over the framerate, even when DF say it is a good effort on the Switch. You guys haven't even tried the game yet, it was the same thing with NBA2K18 and the game runs and plays just fine on the thing. Let's wait a bit before jumping the gun shall we?

I watched a mirror and they were at a preview event and played for 40 minutes across a variety of levels undocked. They couldn't take video. No footage to analyze so it was based off comparing the Direct footage ripped off Youtube compared to PS4. They also try to simulate Switch on a low level PC, but Switch undocked outperformed the PC with "Switch docked" specs. He said the version he played on Switch looked like the Direct footage and was 30 fps with some drops in busier scenes. They speculated that it was being limited by CPU since their "Switch docked" PC was maxing out there.

Panic Button did the port, not ID Software.

Thanks for the info! I watched parts of the video but apparently missed the part where they said they played it but couldn't take video. That makes me even more excited if they were this positive after actually playing the game. I'm all in!

Cerbero

Digital Foundry seem amazed.

Hilarious to see some of the console warrior reactions here though, lol. The handheld mode has less than 200gflops, it's a serious technical achievement.

I agree on this, it is a serious technical achievement, but it also feels like those 150$ laptops you know? the keyboard is awful, the screen is awful and even loading up an internet page feels like an eternity, but it does turn on and it's 150$.

There's a point where the compromises are so big that it's irrelevant even if it's impressive per se, just my opinion.

Firemind

tenor.gif

Not to correct you to be an ass, but the video pointed out that switch is running at worse than the lowest settings actually (texture quality, probably lower resolution than 960X540 with dynamic resolution, lower quality depth of field than lowest settings). The problem was that they could not force the depth of field to be as low quality in the PC version as it is on Switch, so they just turned it off instead.

No, you didn't understand it right. The post processing effects tanked the performance to unplayable on their downclocked 1030er gtx so they had to turn them of. Watch again. Switch has an advantage there.

mazillion

Disappointing but I still might go for it. Never played doom at 30fps before but I've also never played with a controller and controllers make 30fps inputs a little more bearable.

Why are people disappointed? I'm still thinking that people are under the impression that the Switch is more capable than it actually is. It's no slouch as a mobile device, but the chances of it running high end XB1/PS4 games at the same framerate as those systems is slim to none. It's not as simple as just dialing certain things back after all.

Seems like a really solid port judging from impressions. I'll stick with the PC version, but it looks like a good option for Switch owners who've never played the game before or want an FPS while they wait for Metroid Prime 4.

This is what amuses/annoys me most about this thread. Ive got a gaming pc but I HATE the PCMR bullshit - its just an excuse for people to be an elitist prick. I would have thought console gamers who are always on the receiving end of it would get that and praise the achievements of the port. But instead, they've found the one opportunity where a game actually runs at locked 60 on their consoles and have used it to be elitist pricks themselves!

You mirror my exact sentiments.

N21

if you fill your switch with secret sauce maybe. it's only around 380 docked, 170 while in handheld. it's closer to last gen than current gen but having more modern hardware helps with efficiency.

Damn, I expected too much from such a small device.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I love how everyone has yet to try the game are all doom and gloom over the framerate, even when DF say it is a good effort on the Switch. You guys haven't even tried the game yet, it was the same thing with NBA2K18 and the game runs and plays just fine on the thing. Let's wait a bit before jumping the gun shall we?

NBA 2k18 is also one of the slowest games in the series when it comes to the gameplay, so the difference in the framerate it's not having such a big impact as it was supposed to.

I don't think they will slow down DOOM on Switch, though.

But instead, they've found the one opportunity where a game actually runs at locked 60 on their consoles and have used it to be elitist pricks themselves!
Yeah, that's not remotely true.

Anyways, I think there are more posts talking about 'console warriors' than people actually posting along those lines at this point. Also, people keep making that weird Destiny comparison a lot as well for some reason.

One guy sort of flew off the handle but most are saying that Doom is kind of a special case because of the way the game plays and kind of don't like the idea of the port if it can't be a similar type of experience. It's a pretty specific instance of why that argument is being made.

That's a perfectly fine way to feel about things.

Also okay are the people who don't care about that and portability or having it on their platform of choice trumps all. That's obviously completely reasonable and I hope those people have a fantastic time.

Lots of people getting angry at phantom opinions and feelings that aren't really manifesting themselves in this thread.

The game probably would of looked horrible if they had to get it running at 60 FPS.

It’d be a blurry mess.

Console gamers, PC gamers, there’s always going to be someone complaining about frame rates. It gets old, but I just ignore it for the most part.

Metalmarc

After spending time playing unreal tournament in 99/00 on a p.c that couldnt play it, at low settings and the fps was probably something stupid like 6-7

Im in for 30fps

I agree on this, it is a serious technical achievement, but it also feels like those 150$ laptops you know? the keyboard is awful, the screen is awful and even loading up an internet page feels like an eternity, but it does turn on and it's 150$.

There's a point where the compromises are so big that it's irrelevant even if it's impressive per se, just my opinion.

I don't understand you at all. It is seriously impressive, but it's also ceap and awful?

I've been out for a while and I'm unsurprised that the thread's blown up, but based off of just a few comments like this one, I don't think it's filled with any amount of nuanced insight and critique.

And the Switch is like last gen one is just as good lol.

renzolama

So why are they impressed again...?

Have you paid attention to Eurogamer/DF over the past six months? You could hand them a turd wrapped in tinfoil with a 'Nintendo Switch 2' sticker on it and they'd write an article claiming that they never realized how delightful shit smelled until now. They're one of the outlets continually releasing content that excuses every shortcoming of the device / Nintendo (It's actually great that all of these games are Wii U Ports guys! Having less games is actually better because you can focus more on them!). I own a Switch and am excited about Doom regardless of the framerate, but Eurogamer/DF Switch articles are embarrassingly fanboy-ish by any standard.

Edit: This was not an appropriate place to express my frustration with EG/DF content, did not intend to derail the conversation. Leaving the comment here for posterity.

I will be disappointed if the final build is 30 fps. But I'm still excited for this port in general. I just don't have the time to devote to playing games on my TV as much as I used to, so playing DOOM on my lunch breaks at work is perfect for me, even if it's not the definitive experience. Still, I'm probably going to wait for final impressions before picking it up.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not 60fps? It's unplayable! Time to give myself a well deserved pat on the back for my superior opinions.

Anything is playable. It's just a matter of what you're willing to tolerate.

I disagree with someone claiming Doom at 30fps feels fine. Some games require high frame rates more then others, and when that's cut in half, that game is going to lose what made it feel so good to play.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
Is it really? To me it's stationary first with the ability of going portable just like they market it.
With only 40% GPU power while portable I agree with you, but while docked it should be another story.

The dock doesn't contain any additional hardware beyond the circuit board needed to do the logic behind getting the signal from the Switch to the TV. As a gaming experience it may be primarily as you say(depending on the person playing), but as a piece of hardware it has to be portable first because there's just not enough room, physically, in the device to provide the kind of hardware available in a home console, and there really is no way to "fix" that problem without making the Switch cost hundreds of dollars more and likely making the transition from docked to portable much less smooth.

Have you paid attention to Eurogamer/DF over the past six months? You could hand them a turd wrapped in tinfoil with a 'Nintendo Switch 2' sticker on it and they'd write an article claiming that shit had never smelled so wonderful. They're one of the outlets continually releasing content that excuses every shortcoming of the device / Nintendo (It's actually great that all of these games are Wii U Ports guys! Having less games is actually better because you can focus more on them!). I own a Switch and am excited about Doom regardless of the framerate, but Eurogamer/DF Switch articles are embarrassingly fanboy-ish by any standard.

And we *just* about 2-3 comments ago had a comment about how this thread is great and warrior free and "phantom opinions"

L-O-L.

The timing is soooooooooo good.

EDIT: This comment is even better the more you read it. Truly the bestest of the mad side of Neogaf.com.

Icarus

The Switch is great but expecting 1:1 from a big AAA PS4/XB1 game is never going to happen. Sounds like they did a fantastic job in the port work. Congrats Panic Button.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Have you paid attention to Eurogamer/DF over the past six months? You could hand them a turd wrapped in tinfoil with a 'Nintendo Switch 2' sticker on it and they'd write an article claiming that shit had never smelled so wonderful. They're one of the outlets continually releasing content that excuses every shortcoming of the device / Nintendo (It's actually great that all of these games are Wii U Ports guys! Having less games is actually better because you can focus more on them!). I own a Switch and am excited about Doom regardless of the framerate, but Eurogamer/DF Switch articles are embarrassingly fanboy-ish by any standard.

This is totally wrong. DF are people who are passionate about tech. And Switch is a wonderful piece of tech in itself. That's why they went through the trouble of building a custom PC to match it in this video.

But there is a great difference between "It's amazing how this game runs well on this hardware" which is an opinion from a tech aficionado point of view and "this is a good port that deserved to be bought". Unless you're buying the game as a tech demo, of course.

iswasdoes

Yeah, that's not remotely true.

Anyways, I think there are more posts talking about 'console warriors' than people actually posting along those lines at this point. Also, people keep making that weird Destiny comparison a lot as well for some reason.

One guy sort of flew off the handle but most are saying that Doom is kind of a special case because of the way the game plays and kind of don't like the idea of the port if it can't be a similar type of experience. It's a pretty specific instance of why that argument is being made.

That's a perfectly fine way to feel about things.

Also okay are the people who don't care about that and portability or having it on their platform of choice trumps all. That's obviously completely reasonable and I hope those people have a fantastic time.

Lots of people getting angry at phantom opinions and feelings that aren't really manifesting themselves in this thread.

I dont think its a weird comparison. Destiny 2 is much much better at 60. I personally wouldn't play it at 30 (despite having a PS4 copy anyway, im waiting for pc release). If I said this in a destiny thread (in a 'omg thats unplayable! way) id be being a bit of a dick. Thats what I'm seeing here.

Yes doom is fast, but its not in some special category of FPS that can only be played at 60.

Cerbero

I don't understand you at all. It is seriously impressive, but it's also ceap and awful?

I've been out for a while and I'm unsurprised that the thread's blown up, but based off of just a few comments like this one, I don't think it's filled with any amount of nuanced insight and critique.

And the Switch is like last gen one is just as good lol.

i'm not talking about the switch, i'm talking about the doom port, what is it that you don't understand?

For reference, this is Doom running on an i5 6600 with an Intel HD 530 at the lowest settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhYEGCYV6rc

For context, the HD 530 should be less powerful than the Switch's GPU, but on the other hand the i5 6600 is far more powerful than even the overclocked CPU's in the Pro and 1x, let alone the baseline consoles or Switch's mobile CPU. I imagine the bottlenecks on Switch are pretty much the other way around, but without actual insider info I couldn't say that for sure.

And we just had a comment about how this thread is great and warrior free and "phantom opinions"

L-O-L.

Yeah, I didn't say that. I said a disproportionate amount of posts are being made about it. Of course it's going to exist. It's a video game forum and people will never be able to help themselves.

The person saying there are people beating a drum over Doom only because it's 60 fps on console (apparently the one game that has ever done that) I think is pretty far off base.

renzolama

And we just had a comment about how this thread is great and warrior free and "phantom opinions"

L-O-L.

Not sure how anything I've written is 'warrior' or 'phantom opinions'. I didn't make any statement about the quality of the port (actually said I'm excited about it regardless of framerate) or mention any kind of console competition. Nice try though.

boiled goose

good with gravy
And the Xbox and PS versions run at 60Fps so I don't get why they are being brought up?

That's the thing for a year we've been hearing how shitty the jaguar cpu is and how clock for clock this and that switch is better but in the end the games are getting downgraded.

Although it's amusing watching people twist them selves in knots to be ok with 30fps games after bemoaning PS4/X1 games for the entire generation.

And the opposite. People playing 30 fps games for generations suddenly say 30 is unplayable.
:p

Not having 60 fps does kill my hype a bit, but if reviews are solid, it's totally fine

It would be cool if they could add an option to choose 60 fps but with scaled back effects . To me personally, 720p is enough in my setup and I'll take framerate over graphics in a shooter anu day.

No, you didn't understand it right. The post processing effects tanked the performance to unplayable on their downclocked 1030er gtx so they had to turn them of. Watch again. Switch has an advantage there.

I made the correction myself reagarding the "low preset" later in the thread. But the 1030 had per object motion blur enabled when they were doing the test. They though, were forced to turn off depth of field, because the lowest available version in the PC settings tanks the GPU when enabled and when it shows up in game. That lowest version available on PC though, it must be noted, is higher quality than the one found on switch. I would send you time codes to the video, but i will just wait till DF rehosts it again.

mario_O

Expected the 30fps. The Switch CPU, with its clocks, is abysmal. What's the point of porting these games? Who wants to play Doom at a much lower resolution, with worse textures, shadows, etc...and at 30fps. Even if you can play it on the go the experience is pretty subpar.

Yeah, I didn't say that. I said a disproportionate amount of posts are being made about it. Of course it's going to exist. It's a video game forum and people will never be able to help themselves.

The person saying there are people beating a drum over Doom only because it's 60 fps on console (apparently the one game that has ever done that) I think is pretty far off base.

That's fair, I've read the last couple of pages and would have my hands full from those alone in trying to make heads and tails of it all, but if you've read this thread in its entirety and that's your conclusion then whatever, but as I said the timing. The timing was just amazing, someone even quoted you with a "." for extra impact. Great page of drama and high octane action. Funny stuff.

Top Bottom