• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

And they are faster than the CPu’s In the Xbox and PS
Hell, I would bet a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (maybe not at stock though) can match the xbone and PS4 in games that use things like Vulkan or DX12.
1. Cpus from 2008 are mostly still trashing modern consoles

2. Lol what? The i7 920 released in 2008 and completely annihilates anything in the console space and does 4 core multithreading and has hyperthreading support.

Exactly.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
1. Cpus from 2008 are mostly still trashing modern consoles

2. Lol what? The i7 920 released in 2008 and completely annihilates anything in the console space and does 4 core multithreading and has hyperthreading support.

And neither the A57 or the Jaguars have hyperthreading :O .

Wish Nintendo could release more of a powerhouse again for a console. Their rather poor image quality shows early on in a lot of games. Sure. Sometimes they nail it even at lower resolutions, but I'm getting a bit sick of paying more for less in this department. Say what you want, but their shit is expensive (and not really that impressive feature wise all the time) in terms of the power you get. Just got a used New 3DS XL and boy am I glad I got it used saving a lot of cash. Just to point out the power - cost ratio.

It really does depend on how much you enjoy and utilise portability. As a handheld, it is incredible, but if you use it as just another games console, forever hooked up to your TV, games outside of exclusives and indies are gonna more than likely end up sub-par.

For me, I'm probably gonna get this because I really like the idea of being able to play DOOM wherever I want, regardless of the framerate. For others, that's not a good enough argument.

iswasdoes

I don't understand why some people think that DF's impressions are how everyone should feel about the game. They provide numbers, facts, and footage to people to debate visuals and performances of video games. If they think that running at half the frame-rate is fine and that, since the visuals themselves looks good, it's a good port, that's great for them and the people agreeing. But you can also disagree and think that they should have prioritized framerate (or visuals, for that matter) above all and that running at half the framerate negate any other visual feat the port accomplish.

That's called interpretation and different opinions. DFs impressions are not the mighty god.

Cept they, yknow, played it?

In my experience thus far it's been mostly fragile switch owners upset Bethesda couldn't conjure magical hardware sprouting magic fairies to sprinkle pixie dust on every doom cart that would cause the systems cpu to grow a few extra cores and run 2GHz faster that are shitting the thread up.

Id have to re-read, but im getting a 'how dare their soil the memory of doom with a shit port for an underpowered console' vibe. A switch owner who thinks it can/should match performance with non-portable hardware is an idiot, and I hope there arent that many in this thread....

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wish Nintendo could release more of a powerhouse again for a console. Their rather poor image quality shows early on in a lot of games. Sure. Sometimes they nail it even at lower resolutions, but I'm getting a bit sick of paying more for less in this department. Say what you want, but their shit is expensive (and not really that impressive feature wise all the time) in terms of the power you get. Just got a used New 3DS XL and boy am I glad I got it used saving a lot of cash. Just to point out the power - cost ratio.

What's stopping you from getting Doom on other systems if you aren't satisfied with the Switch performance of 3rdParty titles?

Don't even know of your post is about Doom since we haven't seen the Switch version yet.

Cost power ratio? I mean that's like complain that you Galaxy S8 can't outperform your PS4Pro even though it costs more. Different devices.

DavidDesu

The same guys porting Rocket League. Now that's a game that just can't be at 30fps. It's also a pretty simplistic game graphically, so if Mario Kart 8 can run at full res 60fps.. there's no excuse.

Here's hoping.

All in all though it's impressive the Switch is even getting ports of games like Doom, and apparently looking pretty decent, and ultimately playable.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I don't understand why some people think that DF's impressions are how everyone should feel about the game. They provide numbers, facts, and footage to people to debate visuals and performances of video games. If they think that running at half the frame-rate is fine and that, since the visuals themselves looks good, it's a good port, that's great for them and the people agreeing. But you can also disagree and think that they should have prioritized framerate (or visuals, for that matter) above all and that running at half the framerate negate any other visual feat the port accomplish.

That's called interpretation and different opinions. DFs impressions are not the mighty god.

Yeah we're all entitled to opinions everyone knows that. You don't need to do that thing people do on forums where you shout an opinion over and over then make a long post after several pages about how you're allowed to have an opinion because other people don't agree with your opinion.

Cerbero

So Digital Foundry, whose analysis is revered on this forum, makes a report of the Doom port for Switch, provides technical details, and emphasizes repeatedly how good of a port it is.... and a whole bunch of Gaf pros respond with exclamations of how terrible it's going to be and automatically dismiss it? Why not dismiss DF's analyses when the results are above expectation, too, then?

I mean, they have to have a somewhat positive (or not too negative) message in their videos if they want to keep having access to content, it's kind of how it works.

i.e. : even if it was the game running at PS4 Pro settings on the console, people could think it's not a good version based on the framerate alone. That doesn't mean people that are fine with that are wrong either. Bethesda made a divisive choice, and I'm on the side that it wasn't a good choice.

Why are you still building up this scenario that it is a choice that this is running at 30fps?

It seems to be a necessity for the game to exist at all on Switch. Not a choice.

cireza

Its only unplayable if their precious box can play it at 60. Soon as their Potatostation runs something 30 fps, its totally fine and "I cant tell the difference".
Not taking this for myself, but I personally have a very hard time playing games at 30fps on my Xbox One (or whatever console). Especially games that have very fast camera movement.

There are some 60fps games on the console, like fighting games, Dark Souls II, Doom, Halo games etc... So there is still some choice available.

heringer

Doesn't help your case when you go out of your way to ignore facts. You said it's a bad port because Doom runs at 60 fps on a toaster. However, DF used a PC with specs that are actually better than undocked Switch and not only it doesn't run at 60 fps, but it also runs with more dips and lower settings than Switch version. So there, at least on that front you are objectively wrong.

Effect

"It's a good port"

Alright, that's the only thing i needed to hear. Sold.

I own it on Steam, i already had the definitive experience. I'm not expecting a 11W handheld to match it. 30 fps is fine.

This. No one ever should have expected a game like DOOM or any other AAA game where the definitive version is on PC should be a 1:1 experience. Concessions need to be made to have a game that can first be played portably and then have increased performance while docked. Any and all AAA games on the Switch should be looked at with this in mind. Unless they're not graphics heavy in the first place. The reason I bring up the PC version because that's the only version that I recall (I have this version) having locked 60fps. I remember Digital Foundry doing their videos on DOOM and I recall the FPS dropping into the 50s and even 40s when they were looking at the PS4/XBO versions. So all this concern about the Switch version makes no sense when the other console versions (unless you're using a PS4 Pro likely) had their own issues.

You know or should know what you're getting into before you make the purchase. So if a game isn't 60fps people should not be losing their minds. There will be a real possibility that will be the first thing to get slash for the very simple fact that Switch is not as powerful as the PS4/XBO or a PC in raw power. The power requirements aren't there and even if it was you can't drain the battery in minutes.

If we get a really decent looking version of DOOM that runs solid in undocked and docked modes, even if there are issues here and there, then that's damn good win. Doesn't matter if it's 30fps. If that 60fps is so critical then you should never have been curious about the Switch version.

coughlanio

Why do people keep referencing the the Low Spec Gamer video which has a AMD AM1 Athlon 5350, with 4 GB DDR3, and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 running DOOM then?

I'm referencing this video by the way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq8UUkWfshg

In the DOOM and Wolfenstein II for Switch announcement thread people made note that the PC in the video above is weaker than the Switch.

Doom is supposed to be coming out this Holiday so I'd say the port is probably fairly fair along, so console level optimizations for the Switch hardware had to be factored already, no?

In that video, he's running at 960x540 with a 50% resolution scale, so 480x270, and is struggling to maintain 30FPS.

Lanrutcon

I'm in day one. I've never played DOOM, don't have another console because I don't really get tv gaming time. This looks fantastic.

The game is awesome. Everyone should play it. It could have been an absolute disaster, instead it came out of nowhere and did the originals justice.

knerl

This thread now has the stale smell of fanboys wanting to shit on the Switch. How unpleasant.

Why does one have to be a "fanboy" in order to shit on aspects of a console that's lacking?
I can't own a Switch en express my thoughts on it's cons w/o being called a fanboy? If everyone keeps defending everything related to Nintendo or whatever we will never see decent progress and improvements.

jett

D-Member
Why are you still building up this scenario that it is a choice that this is running at 30fps?

It seems to be a necessity for the game to exist at all on Switch. Not a choice.

Some people want Doom to be set to wireframe mode at 320x240.

However, DF used a PC with specs that are actually better than undocked Switch and not only it doesn't run at 60 fps, but it also runs with more dips and lower settings than Switch version.
Not to correct you to be an ass, but the video pointed out that switch is running at worse than the lowest settings actually (texture quality, probably lower resolution than 960X540 with dynamic resolution, lower quality depth of field than lowest settings). The problem was that they could not force the depth of field to be as low quality in the PC version as it is on Switch, so they just turned it off instead.
Some people want Doom to be set to wireframe mode at 320x240.

LoL. I honestly do not think that would even run at 60hz :D

Destiny can be very fast-paced at times and people exaggerate Doom's "fast-pacedness" IMO.
Destiny is not fast paced. It was also made with 30 fps in mind and it shows. Doom never was. That's the difference. It's a terrible comparison that makes little sense outside of it being a recent game that is also a FPS.

Piscus

I mean, they have to have a somewhat positive (or not too negative) message in their videos if they want to keep having access to content, it's kind of how it works.

Then why are they trusted at all here if they are going to just skew everything to fit their agenda of "having access to content"? Wouldn't that kill their credibility?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
In that video, he's running at 960x540 with a 50% resolution scale, so 480x270, and is struggling to maintain 30FPS.

It's time to upgrade that toaster

As far as the actual game goes, would gyro aiming in Doom be ridiculous or is that actually something that would be worthwhile (if you're inclined to enjoy that sort of thing)? I've only played about an hour of the PS4 version, so I'm having a hard time imagining how that'd feel.

DSN2K

it's not that 30fps is unplayable. I garner it's about Doom at 30fps which is unplayable or not ideal.

What again is trash....plenty of enjoyment to be had at 30fps. Embarrassing reaction in here and I can bet that more then half the people who said they won't play it don't even own a switch!

LordKano

Yeah we're all entitled to opinions everyone knows that. You don't need to do that thing people do on forums where you shout an opinion over and over then make a long post after several pages about how you're allowed to have an opinion because other people don't agree with your opinion.

Apparently not everyone know.

Doesn't help your case when you go out of your way to ignore facts. You said it's a bad port because Doom runs at 60 fps on a toaster. However, DF used a PC with specs that are actually better than undocked Switch and not only it doesn't run at 60 fps, but it also runs with more dips and lower settings than Switch version. So there, at least on that front you are objectively wrong.

They could have downgraded it further to reach 60fps. Apparently it still has the whole post-process effects, depth of field and that sort of effects running on ?
They announced DOOM for the console, proclaiming that it's the same experience with the same DOOM-feel, and it's not asinine to expect 60fps based on that. Again, in my opinion, if no matter how they did it, they couldn't have reached 60fps, they shouldn't have bother porting the game at all, because in both cases it wouldn't feel good to play (especially for the 60$ version), and it's not the true DOOM.

iswasdoes

Why does one have to be a "fanboy" in order to shit on aspects of a console that's lacking?
I can't own a Switch en express my thoughts on it's cons w/o being called a fanboy? If everyone keeps defending everything related to Nintendo or whatever we will never see decent progress and improvements.

What do you think is lacking? A more powerful SoC that would cost way more and last way longer? Or a non-portable console? Cant have all three.

Company ports awesome game to handheld and naturally has to compromise. If that causes you outrage then maybe your not a fanboy, but def being short sighted about something...

coughlanio

They could have downgraded it further to reach 60fps. Apparently it still has the whole post-process effects, depth of field and that sort of effects running on ?
They announced DOOM for the console, proclaiming that it's the same experience with the same DOOM-feel, and it's not asinine to expect 60fps based on that.

I don't think you're understanding, that at a point, games become CPU dependent.

knkng

That's not true, framerates have a definite effect on simulation sickness. That's why VR headset need to have high refresh rates. That's why more people get sick watching low framerates vs high. Stop making things up about an issue you obviously don't understand.

There are people who effectively see each individual frame in fast succession instead of seeing it as fluid motion. Their eyes get strained and they get headaches with lower fps. These are the people who talk about 30 being like a slideshow. They aren't all just being dramatic. It can be disorienting, cause eye fatigue and simulation sickness.

I can understand this in regards to VR, since that is essentially a simulated reality achieved through sensory deprivation. But if this is a general issue that you have (your eyes picking up each frame at 30fps), then I would say that this is an extraordinary situation that would effect very few people, and would also make the original reply very relevant (it must be painful to watch TV and movies).

I've heard of stress as a result of constantly fluctuating frame rates, skipping frames, blending frames, adjusting frame rates (suddenly speeding up or slowing down), and even general lag (audio or in this case input), but never a locked, relatively standard frame rate.

I'll take your word on it, since I'm more familiar with this subject via film and have never heard of this, but that sounds like a horrible situation for the people who have to deal with it.

Those things you mention - post process effects like depth of field and perobject motion blur - are engine features which are run on the GPU. The game itself - a.i., level size, amount of necessary geometry on screen to represent the 3d objects in the game space, the sound simulation, the path finding, etc. - all run on the CPU. That CPU in the Switch, through the logic of deduction and analogy like DF did, cannot run THE GAME at 60 fps. No reduction in visuall quality would make Doom run at 60 fps on Switich. It would have to be a different game entirely.

They announced DOOM for the console, proclaiming that it's the same experience with the same DOOM-feel, and it's not asinine to expect 60fps based on that.
Disabling those effects might not be enough to DOUBLE the frame rate though.

To achieve 60, they may have had to go even lower in resolution or seriously scale back on the poly count for models or give everything terrible blurry textures, etc. Basically, it's not something they were prepared to do.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I cant tell the difference between 60 and 30 usually. It was my favorite game of 2016. You bet I'm playin this on the go.

Okay, so there's no chance of 720p docked?

It might be, it might not be. It depends on what exactly is the limiting factor(s) for the Switch's performance and what the additional horsepower from being docked could do for it. It might be that the graphical demands are low and it's mostly a CPU bottleneck, so it'll scale right up to 900p or something. It might be that it'll just be stable enough to maintain a locked a 720p30. Maybe we'll be really unlucky, and it's that, and still needs dynamic resolution every now and again.

We just don't know.

big_z

Considering switch has less than a 1/3 the power of a og xbox one in docked mode im not sure why people expected more from this port. Having the game run in portable mode at all is kind of crazy.

N21

On the Direct (assumedly docked) footage.

https://youtu.be/bXktQr6EeuI?t=499

"I reckon that the Switch is possibly running lower than 540p here"

No, not like this.

I think it's possible, but more than likely both docked and undocked are using a form of dynamic resolution that could go anywhere from 540p to 900p.

900p is too much, but I would be happy if can be achieved.

It might be, it might not be. It depends on what exactly is the limiting factor(s) for the Switch's performance and what the additional horsepower from being docked could do for it. It might be that the graphical demands are low and it's mostly a CPU bottleneck, so it'll scale right up to 900p or something. It might be that it'll just be stable enough to maintain a locked a 720p30. Maybe we'll be really unlucky, and it's that, and still needs dynamic resolution every now and again.

We just don't know.

That's a shame, I was hoping for 720p at least.

Disabling those effects might not be enough to DOUBLE the frame rate though.

To achieve 60, they may have had to go even lower in resolution or seriously scale back on the poly count for models or give everything terrible blurry textures, etc. Basically, it's not something they were prepared to do.

It would not effect the framerate at all probably if they turned off those effects or reduced texture resolution. The game is probably thoroughly CPU bound 90% of the time, hence the framerate cap, hence that they turned on superfluous GPU effects.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Not to correct you to be an ass, but the video pointed out that switch is running at worse than the lowest settings actually (texture quality, probably lower resolution than 960X540 with dynamic resolution, lower quality depth of field than lowest settings). The problem was that they could not force the depth of field to be as low quality in the PC version as it is on Switch, so they just turned it off instead.

Lowest setting for PC = no DoF.

Top Bottom