• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director David O. Russell has screaming match with beloved actress Jennifer Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Who isn't familiar with the star of two major movie franchises (Hunger Games and star of Xmen) and Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence? Probably nobody. America's sweetheart, let's be real.

jennifer-lawrence-300.jpg

Her and the director got into another screaming match this week. He's known for having a raging temper and this isn't the first female actress he's verbally lashed as evidenced by his nasty altercation with Lily Tomlin.

Things got so bad during the newest Jlaw incident that David used "extreme profanities" and even had Harvey Weinstein thrown off set during his unexpected visit. Yikes:

Famed director David O. Russell went on a tear against Jennifer Lawrence and Harvey Weinstein during the filming of the movie "Joy" ... this according to an eyewitness on the set.

We're told there was a loud argument Tuesday on the Boston set between David and Jennifer, and it started over a scene. The eyewitness says David started screaming at her ... it was ear-piercing and laced with profanities.

And the eyewitness tells us a major exec for Fox was reamed out by David because she was trying to defend the line producer who David wants to fire. The eyewitness says it got so bad the exec started crying.

Another source:

Famed director David O. Russell went on a tear against Jennifer Lawrence and Harvey Weinstein during the filming of the movie Joy … this according to an eyewitness on the set.

We’re told there was a loud argument Tuesday on the Boston set between David and Jennifer, and it started over a scene. The eyewitness says David started screaming at her … it was was ear-piercing and laced with profanities.

A rep for the movie’s studio — Fox 2000 — tells us yes, there was screaming, but it was all method acting. David was just getting J. Law amped-up for a scene in which she screams at someone.

But it doesn’t end there. We’re also told Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein showed up on the set Wednesday to say hi to Jennifer, but David ordered him to leave. Harvey got as far as the makeup trailer before getting booted.

The studio rep says Harvey was told Tuesday things were moving at warp speed and his visit would be a distraction, but he showed up anyway … unannounced.

And the eyewitness tells us a major exec for Fox was reamed out by David because she was trying to defend the line producer who David wants to fire. The eyewitness says it got so bad the exec started crying. The studio rep says that’s ridiculous … there was a “heated” argument over the line producer, but she didn’t cry.

They've worked together before (Silver Lining Playbook, American Hustle) and there have been stories about them having altercations in the past but they seem to keep working together. I mean, Jlaw is a tough chick, this one can hold her own but this is still not acceptable. Gross.

UqMCbIg.gif

These two really don't have a good history working together. There's also the previous incident where David compared Jlaw's conflicting Hunger Games schedule to slavery:

“I personally think they should give her a bit of breathing room over there because they’re printing money,” Russell exclusively told Confidenti@l at Friday’s Australian Academy’s AACTA Awards held in Los Angeles. “But she’s a very alive person.”

“I’ll tell you what it is about that girl — talk about 12 years of slavery, that’s what the franchise is. And I’m going to get in so much trouble for saying that.”

NxA33G8.gif
NxA33G8.gif
NxA33G8.gif

How can a director get away with treating an A-List star like that? Who holds more "clout" in this kind of situation?

Fevaweva

David O. Russell is infamous for having altercations with his stars. Didn't George Clooney punch him during the filming of Three Kings?

I have no idea how he gets away with it, his films aren't that good.

maxcriden

David O. Russell, as you said, is famous for stuff like this. Love Silver Linings Playbook but reading stuff like this makes that harder for me.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
He wins awards, so he will continue to get away with all sorts of shit. And in his defense, unexpected visits can be a complete distraction and sometimes just really fuck things up.

That being said, he is a documented nut job and goes way over the line.

Dennis

Banned
A rep for the movie’s studio — Fox 2000 — tells us yes, there was screaming, but it was all method acting. David was just getting J. Law amped-up for a scene in which she screams at someone.

Zeliard

David O. Russell is infamous for having altercations with his stars. Didn't George Clooney punch him during the filming of Three Kings?

Yeah, this is David O's thing. Along with the infamous Clooney debacle, he got into an obnoxious screaming-and-pissing match with Lily Tomlin on the set of I Heart Huckabees, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SG43wa7Alo

Frog-fu

Banned
Creative types are always under pressure and stressed out. I'd say this comes part and parcel with the industry and I don't think it's necessarily reflective of who that person really is. Though, of course everyone has a bad day every once in a while, making someone cry crosses the line, so if that happened, shame on Russell, he should apologise for that.

mreddie

From J Law's Facebook.

Hey guys!
It's Jen! I know I don't go on here a lot because I can barely work email but there's been a terrible rumor going around the last 24 hours so I wanted to clear it up.
David O. Russell is one of my closest friends and we have an amazing collaborative working relationship. I adore this man and he does not deserve this tabloid malarkey. This movie is going great and I'm having a blast making it!

EDIT: Beaten

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Russell is famous for being a tremendous asshole.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Do some people live in a fantasy land where they believe everyone on earth gets along 100% of the time? People fight, people argue, people disagree. Even in professional situations.

That's life.

Jennifer wouldn't continue working with him if she didn't want to.

"I know I don't go on here a lot because I can barely work email," the actress, 24, wrote on her Facebook page, "but there's been a terrible rumor going around the last 24 hours so I wanted to clear it up.
Suuuuuuuure.
Exactly. I've never had film experience (like you have), but films would clearly have very troubled production if they were all having fights.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't have time to post a big reply right now as I'm off to see American Sniper.

However, where does David O. get off honestly??! His movies range from simply decent (Silver Linings) to COMPLETE garbage (American Hustle). The new Michael Bay tbh.

Zeliard

Do some people live in a fantasy land where they believe everyone on earth gets along 100% of the time? People fight, people argue, people disagree. Even in professional situations.

That's life.

Jennifer wouldn't continue working with him if she didn't want to.

This. Especially when making movies.

You two should probably familiarize yourselves with David O. Russell. This isn't just some random episode of professional disagreement. Russell is infamous for being extremely combative and vitriolic on set. That isn't even some Hollywood insider secret. Everyone knows he's a prick; they work with him in spite of his antagonistic personality.

Jonathan Alter, in an e-mail from the recent Sony leak:

"I know [Russell is] brilliant but we have someone on our show who worked closely with him on American Hustle,” Alter began. “And not only are the stories about him reforming himself total bullshit but the new stories of his abuse and lunatic behavior are extreme even by Hollywood standards."

Maybe he was just protecting her from Harvey? I'm surprised Harvey hasn't moved on at this point. Especially since he was the recipient of all those pictures.....

But David is pretty talentless and pretentious so I don't know what he has to be angry about since he is revered anyway....

-griffy-

Banned
I remember a round table with directors, I think it was the year Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained came out and were both nominated. David O. Russell and Tarantino were there, and some others. They were talking about how they managed their set/crew, and Tarantino was talking about how he thinks no one should get out of control angry on their set because the director needs to set the tone and vibe for the whole crew, and this was after the well publicized stuff with David O. Russell and came out of course. I don't know if Tarantino was specifically taking a jab at O. Russell or just sharing his thoughts, but the camera cut to him and he was nodding, but he looked super uncomfortable.

I thought maybe he had calmed down, he seemed to kind of "find himself" as a director with The Fighter and his subsequent movies. Guess not.

Here's the roundtable, I have no idea where that part is though.

jtb

Banned

He didn't get away with it. I Heart Huckabees nearly killed his career.

You two should probably familiarize yourselves with David O. Russell. This isn't just some random episode of professional disagreement. Russell is infamous for being extremely combative and vitriolic on set. That isn't even some Hollywood insider secret. Everyone knows he's a prick; they work with him in spite of his antagonistic personality.

Jonathan Alter, in an e-mail from the recent Sony leak:

"I know [Russell is] brilliant but we have someone on our show who worked closely with him on American Hustle,” Alter began. “And not only are the stories about him reforming himself total bullshit but the new stories of his abuse and lunatic behavior are extreme even by Hollywood standards."

I bought the new enlightened Russell if only because his new films are so fucking boring. But maybe he just knows he can't make weird films and be a huge asshole on set.

Polari

I've never really figured out why this guy is so well received as a director. I liked Silver Linings Playbook, but ever thing else he's done has been pretty average. Three Kings and American Hustle are both terrifically overrated.

David is incredibly talented. Many directors go bat shit insane on set. They do 16 hour days for months on end and everything is their fault or their success. It is a high pressure environment.

Chances are your favorite director has said or done something you wouldn't like.

How can a director get away with treating an A-List star like that? Who holds more "clout" in this kind of situation?
Because who cares, really. They are two artists who were probably in the heat of the moment, trying to capture the essence of various emotions and put them on screen, and sometimes the brain goes wonky when dealing with things bigger than it. They'll have a beer soon and talk about it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Because who cares, really. They are two artists who were probably in the heat of the moment, trying to capture the essence of various emotions and put them on screen, and sometimes the brain goes wonky when dealing with things bigger than it. They'll have a beer soon and talk about it.

George Clooney punched out Russell.

I think that says it all.

anaron

shocked cuz they seemed to genuinely like eachother quite a bit/keep working together but not exactly surprised, either, based on his history.

dude is a turd.

jtb

Banned
shocked cuz they seemed to genuinely like eachother quite a bit/keep working together but not exactly surprised, either, based on his history.

dude is a turd.

Judging by how many repeat actors he gets in his films (Mark, JLaw, Cooper, Bale, De Niro, etc.), it's pretty clear that some people love working with him and some people really hate him. They obviously know what they're getting into.

big ander

lmao at the "where does he get off?!?" mentality is that serious? I thought the OP with all its "belOVED actress Jennifer Lawrence" "adored osCAR winner and Hunger Games STAR Jennifer Lawrence" was a joke

JGLS

"I know I don't go on here a lot because I can barely work email,"

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Sure JLaw, sure.

And this guy is a known asshole, so I'm not surprised.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

As Clooney told it, he was tormenting a low level worker who was Clooney's friend.

Daingurse

David is incredibly talented. Many directors go bat shit insane on set. They do 16 hour days for months on end and everything is their fault or their success. It is a high pressure environment.

Chances are your favorite director has said or done something you wouldn't like.

It sounds like this dude is just an asshole man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom