• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director David O. Russell has screaming match with beloved actress Jennifer Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
The guy hasn't made anything worthwhile since The Fighter. Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle were two of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. He's an asshole and a hack.

It sounds like this dude is just an asshole man.

I don't doubt he is. In any passion driven industry you will find strong personalities.

James Cameron said if you have to walk to the washroom you can keep on walking.

Paul Verhoven upon seeing CG blood from the effects guys on Starship Troopers screamed at them saying that they were fucking his movie then whipped a coffee cup which accidentally hit a artist. Then he said "next time get out of the fucking way!"

Frog-fu

Banned
Yeah it's clearly just a joke.

Yup. It reads as an attempt at levity while addressing something unpleasant.

I don't doubt he is. In any passion driven industry you will find strong personalities.

Which is why the saying "if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen" applies. Acting and directing isn't just a job some like a 9 to 5, it's a passion, something that these people live and breathe, so yeah, they're liable to blow their tops, some more often than others, it happens, and it's a part of the industry, a very important one, because, aside from the fact there are millions, reputations and careers on the line, without that passion to strive for excellence, the world would be poorer for it.

Granted, this doesn't justify or excuse everything they say or do.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You two should probably familiarize yourselves with David O. Russell. This isn't just some random episode of professional disagreement. Russell is infamous for being extremely combative and vitriolic on set. That isn't even some Hollywood insider secret. Everyone knows he's a prick; they work with him in spite of his antagonistic personality.

Jonathan Alter, in an e-mail from the recent Sony leak:

"I know [Russell is] brilliant but we have someone on our show who worked closely with him on American Hustle,” Alter began. “And not only are the stories about him reforming himself total bullshit but the new stories of his abuse and lunatic behavior are extreme even by Hollywood standards."

Ok. But as I said earlier, JLaw is big enough now to be selective. She still chooses to work with him.

gogosox82

Didn't George Clooney punch him on the set of Three Kings and say he'd never work with him again or something like that? And the incident with Lilly Tomlin which was kind of bizarre honestly. I think the guy's kind of an asshole honestly but I guess she likes working with him so she puts up with it.

Jigorath

Banned
Ok. But as I said earlier, JLaw is big enough now to be selective. She still chooses to work with him.

Yeah she's gotten an Oscar and two nominations from his films. For whatever reason the Academy really likes Russell so I'm not surprised big name actors want to work with him despite his awful attitude.

jett

D-Member
Thought there would be video, like from I Heart Huckabees.

Anyway, O. Russell is a known crazy person, so I have no issue believing this 100%. JLaw is just doing her best to not burn any bridges.

Frog-fu

Banned
Yeah she's gotten an Oscar and two nominations from his films. For whatever reason the Academy really likes Russell so I'm not surprised big name actors want to work with him despite his awful attitude.

The Academy loves him because critics love him. Since 2010, he's made The Fighter (91% RT), Silver Linings Playbook (92% RT) and American Hustle (93%), and they have all been determined as great pieces of cinema in the court of public opinion.

JLaw and Cooper pretty much owe their "serious yet critical acclaimed" acting careers to him.

basik

Who cares. She can go cry into her millions of dollars. Wheres that woody harrelson gif where hes wiping away tears with a wad of cash lol.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I like the fighter but his output has been pretty mediocre after I heart huckabees

I don't get how critics and oscars fall all over these recent films of his

Opinionsssssssss . I didnt really like I Heart Huckabees, i mean i thought it was different and interesting. But i enjoyed Silver Linings along with Fighter. American Hustle i liked but wasnt up to quality.

jtb

Banned
The Academy loves him because critics love him. Since 2010, he's made The Fighter (91% RT), Silver Linings Playbook (92% RT) and American Hustle (93%), and they have all been determined as great pieces of cinema in the court of public opinion.

JLaw and Cooper pretty much owe their "serious yet critical acclaimed" acting careers to him.

He's gotten both JLaw and Bale their Oscars.

I like the fighter but his output has been pretty mediocre after I heart huckabees

I don't get how critics and oscars fall all over these recent films of his

They're agreeable, inoffensive.

Acorn

Who cares. She can go cry into her millions of dollars. Wheres that woody harrelson gif where hes wiping away tears with a wad of cash lol.
Being rich doesn't make being abused at work ok. I'm aware she talked the incident down but I'm talking about the sentiment that being rich=ok to be treated like shit.

Frog-fu

Banned
He's gotten both JLaw and Bale their Oscars.

Bale was a fantastic, well-known and highly respected actor before he began working with Russell though. Lawrence really only had Winter's Bone. Cooper will probably win an Oscar eventually if he sticks with Russell.

Sdkkds

Neo Member

So when someone makes a lot of money, it's okay to treat them badly?

And David pissing of Weinstein is much worse, some of the high power hollywood execs have been known to hold a grudge for a long, long time, and they do have the power to do something about it.

I remember there was an incident with a well known Norwegian actress who said some pretty nasty things about one of the richest men in Norway (I know his daughter, so this is how i know), she hardly got any work in the next ten years, he took it upon himself to kill all her projects.

Acorn

Bale was a fantastic, well-known and highly respected actor before he began working with Russell though. Lawrence really only had Winter's Bone. Cooper will probably win an Oscar eventually if he sticks with Russell.
She was nominated for Winter's Bone too. Better performance in that as well imo.

Although I'm a fan of SLP, especially because De Niro never phoned it in for the first time in nearly 20 years.

megamerican

Some of the most talented people in the industry are also among the most difficult. Russell has an established track record as a prick. Yet apart from Clooney most of the others from his "troupe" continue to make movies with him, so he must not be all bad.

Should this happen? Of course not. But it does, and sometimes it comes with the territory.

He's actually supposed to have stopped this shit over the past like three films of his.

Maybe this means Joy will finally see him make a great movie again if he's in crazy asshole fuckface mode.

He talked shit about the awards season. His fate was sealed.

tumblr_mirkvemu4r1qzoaqio1_400.gif

Valhelm

contribute something
He's an asshole who makes Oscar bait films, period.

IMO that's not necessarily a bad thing. "Oscar bait" movies can be cheesy, but are a great excuse to create high-budget films driven by emotion or internal conflict as opposed to just action. They have an important place in Hollywood.

One of the sony hacks said that he was yelling so much at Amy Addams, that Christian Bale (Of all people) had to step in and tell him to calm down. He was pulling the same antics he is known for.

I like some of his films, but I wouldn't want to work for him.

Creative types are always under pressure and stressed out. I'd say this comes part and parcel with the industry and I don't think it's necessarily reflective of who that person really is. Though, of course everyone has a bad day every once in a while, making someone cry crosses the line, so if that happened, shame on Russell, he should apologise for that.

You say that as if it was an isolated incident.

David O Russell has been pulling that shit for years. When someone regularly gets in shouting matches with his coworkers, chances are they are an asshole.

lednerg

I heard from someone on the American Hustle shoot that he was giving a real hard time to Bradley Cooper, basically telling him in front of everyone that he couldn't act. It's par for the course with this guy, as everyone's saying.

inm8num2

Just gonna put this here:

The FallRise of David O. Russell (Film Critic Hulk)

GAF thread about the article.

The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook, and American Hustle were so bland to me. Bale is the only good thing about The Fighter. SLP has its moments in the erratic performances, but it's just kind of uninteresting. American Hustle was not as clever as it thought it was.

That's all fine, but O. Russell's continued treatment of people is kind of disheartening. Then again, he puts actors in positions to win awards, so I guess that's all that matters.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The most shocking part of this thread is that no one on GAF likes David O. Russell movies.

I think they're pretty good.

Draconian

The most shocking part of this thread is that no one on GAF likes David O. Russell movies.

That's not shocking at all. There's plenty of good films that GAF puts down, and lots of mediocre ones that are propped up as if they're some kind of masterpieces.

jett

D-Member

They're not bad. They're generally okay, and they contain great acting performances, but that's about it. His recent ones, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom