• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director David O. Russell has screaming match with beloved actress Jennifer Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

valeo

His movies always seem well put together but 'empty' somehow; hard to explain, but this was particularly noticeable in American Hustle.

Here is my question:

Not trying to sound sexist, but who is to say the squabble and tirade was his fault or was initiated by him? Couldn't it also possibly have been JLaw's fault? The girl has quite an attitude too from what I've heard.

I'm just saying where is the evidence that definitely places the blame on him for this?

Frog-fu

Banned
She was nominated for Winter's Bone too. Better performance in that as well imo.

Although I'm a fan of SLP, especially because De Niro never phoned it in for the first time in nearly 20 years.

SLP was pretty good. I agree, De Niro seemed to invested in his role. Maybe it's because he respects Russell enough to put some effort into it.

You say that as if it was an isolated incident.

David O Russell has been pulling that shit for years. When someone regularly gets in shouting matches with his coworkers, chances are they are an asshole.

I'm not sure how often he's made people cry.

The most shocking part of this thread is that no one on GAF likes David O. Russell movies.

I think they're pretty good.

I've loved every movie I've seen by David O. Russell. You are not alone. :)

The guy hasn't made anything worthwhile since The Fighter. Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle were two of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. He's an asshole and a hack.

While it's true that his last two movies weren't great, I wouldn't call him a hack. Three Kings, Huckabees and The Fighter are all amazingly good films. I would say that Huckabees is one of my favorites ever. So many in here are so quick to jump to "talentless." Ridiculous.

While it's true that his last two movies weren't great, I wouldn't call him a hack. Three Kings, Huckabees and The Fighter are all amazingly good films. I would say that Huckabees is one of my favorites ever. So many in here are so quick to jump to "talentless." Ridiculous.
I wouldn't put The Fighter in the same league as Huckabees.

Huckabees is a legitimately great film. I wish he would go back to making more films like it.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
OP

Used tmz and a site called celebitchy as sources

QSKWx.gif

Oh?

You mean two big sites DEDICATED to reporting movie and music celebrity news AND the subjects in questions are an A-List actress and a well known movie director? Right, so far fetched. They ain't Perez honey. Maybe I should have consulted Time or 60 Minutes?

Bye.

WWmjGde.gif

The most shocking part of this thread is that no one on GAF likes David O. Russell movies.

I think they're pretty good.

I fucking love SLP. The Fighter and Three Kings are very good. American Hustle is okay as an acting showcase.

The guy's an asshole, but he puts out worthwhile stuff.

jtb

Banned
Silver Linings Playbook is by far my favorite of his post-Huckabees films. There's two thirds of a really great poignant, funny (bold, even) film about mental illness before it devolves into romcom cliches in the final act.

For someone churning out Oscar vehicles, kicking Weinstein from set is probably the worst move imaginable.
That was my thinking while reading the OP. Mind you, my dislike of Weinstein is so intense that I experienced some real glee while reading it (dude still needs to stop being such a monumental asshole to his cast and crew, though).

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Mind you, my dislike of Weinstein is so intense that I experienced some real glee while reading it

LOL oh, I felt the same way, believe me. Weintstein can go, it's just shocking a director would disrespect someone with so much power in the industry.

I'm still so glad the director of Snowpiercer Bong Joon-ho fought back against Harvey who wanted to cut 20 minutes out of the films North American version as he felt audiences here wanted action and would be too stupid to handle the slower dialogue scenes. Joon-ho won, and the movie came over uncut (though with a more limited release).

Seriously, everybody should watch Snowpiercer, one of 2014's best movies (starring my favorite actor Chris Evans <3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom