• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

truth411

J1sVuaU.gif

BigLee74

That's an embarrassing performance by XSX. The lack of AF, the drops in 60 fps mode, the car LOD in 120fps mode...

I'm fairly sure the Dirt devs will fix it, and if they do, MS will be secretly raging at their QC for letting stuff go out like this in the first place. Patches come too late for the damage to be undone. All the focus is on a game when it first comes out.

With that said, I won't be buying this. I'll just wait for it to come out on Gamepass eventually.

kuncol02

Banned
What's even funnier is even at some points the Series X drop to 90s but not often.
0cXwVpf.png
From my experience Series X can drop performance for no reason in any moment. There is some system bug. Yesterday i had one heavy drop for around 40fps in Valhalla when I was walking throgh some field. Nothin happened in game in that time. Game just started stutter for few seconds and then gone back to normal.

sircaw

Banned
That's an embarrassing performance by XSX. The lack of AF, the drops in 60 fps mode, the car LOD in 120fps mode...

I'm fairly sure the Dirt devs will fix it, and if they do, MS will be secretly raging at their QC for letting stuff go out like this in the first place. Patches come too late for the damage to be undone. All the focus is on a game when it first comes out.

With that said, I won't be buying this. I'll just wait for it to come out on Gamepass eventually.

You Tell em M8, don't let them get away with this shambles. I am right behind you on this one 👍

Iced Arcade

yeah, I can't understand what's up with a couple of those images. mainly because the game overall looks like shit anyway.

those headlights... did they straight port over the last-gen game and slap new stickers on it?

Last edited:
Unfortunate bug, hopefully be fixed soon.

How about PS5 framerate tanking to the low 90's though, in 120hz mode it gets outperformed by both Series X and S, I saw as low as 91fps in that one race, shocking drops and with no VRR would make the game unplayable.

PS5 would perform a lot better too in 120Hz mode if it took the same graphical hit like the Series X does. Let's see how Series X will perform with the higher quality visuals seen in PS5's 120hz mode.

Tripolygon

Banned
From my experience Series X can drop performance for no reason in any moment. There is some system bug. Yesterday i had one heavy drop for around 40fps in Valhalla when I was walking throgh some field. Nothin happened in game in that time. Game just started stutter for few seconds and then gone back to normal.
Those sort of stuff tends to get ironed out as the software matures. I am frankly impressed by both systems considering the circumstanced under which they were both released.
PS5 would perform a lot better too in 120Hz mode if it took the same graphical hit like the Series X does. Let's see how Series X will perform with the higher quality visuals seen in PS5's 120hz mode.
It is not a wide problem so i think with further optimization especially with those particular points the PS5 still has a overall better experience. Digital foundry said it is only a certain track and starting point that drops the frame rate, once you get past that point it holds a steady 120fps.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Boy, all these recent face offs between Series S/X and PS5 are astonishing. I wonder how the people who specifically bought a Series X "because multi plats will run best on Xbox" feel now ...

It was logical conslusion based on specs alone, too bad devs were under NDA and the one that did speak loudly (Crytek) was trashed by everyone.

Why are DF going full on defense mode for Xbox in this video?!
Money and power.

They need to keep a sense of competition and possibility that the next lot of results could be different in their viewers heads to keep them coming back. If it's a foregone conclusion, people won't watch, and thus bring in less revenue.

Secondly, their advantage over other technical analysis groups out their is access to platform holders and devs. If they come across as too negative, MS may black list them and they lose an advantage over their rivals.

longdi

Banned
True, the XSX is massively underperforming and the big question is why. I don't buy the Cerny Secret Sauce take, secret sauce hasn't been a thing since the PS2 days.

There wasnt any ss even for PS2 imo.
The later, cheaper GC spank it as it should.
The Xbox OG destroyed PS2 tech.

Yes let's see if Phil will make a statement next week. 🤷‍♀️

Hezekiah

Banned
Does he give a reason why? Wasn't Dirt 5 a marketing partner with Xbox? Seems like a big oof if they released the XB version at 60% or mixed up the X and S code. These excuses are just that. Excuses.

He blocked me on Twitter because I asked him where I needed to sign up to shill for Microsoft and get a free Series X.

On the real though, I'm sure Series X tools will improve over time. But in the video he says that Series X has a 16 - 20% power delta, and that once developers utilise Direct Machine Learning and Variable Rate Shading it can add 30% more efficiency, meaning once developers use all the tools and hardware available to them the visual and performance difference between Series X and PS5 will be "staggering". So lots of people were going in on him for damage control.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
If anything, it’s nice to have the renowned professionals backing up what seemed to be the case — PS5 is taking the lead, if slight.

I don’t know what this is. Is the PS5 the first example of something built with an eye towards budget ($400 model, 10 teraflops) being so incredibly designed, it keeps up with competition without those constraints, since the GameCube? Or did Microsoft indeed have a rough landing for launch, wherein the tools were not good, or ready in time for developers to make the most use of them?

The sheer lack of new game footage, would kind of point at that. Remember when we were getting BC games, over and over again, and wondering what was going on?

In any case, outside of the 120 FPS mode (!), I don’t see it being the end of the world. Series X is still putting forward a lovely version of the game, and before watching, just judging by the summaries, the PS5 lead seems slight. It’s just a rough time for people who thought they’d be getting the best multiplats... and an amazing bonus for people who just wanted the PS5 for other things.

Anytime a new analysis thread goes up, the PS5 Gang be like:

giphy.gif

I’m honestly pretty surprised by the multi-plat results so far. I can admit the PS5 hardware is exceeding my expectations thus far.

I also do believe the lower settings on fidelity mode for XsX is a bug like D dark10x says in video. Just doesn’t make sense to me. I still believe the XsX has exceptional power in that box.

Props to the PS5 though. No doubt.

Last edited:

geordiemp

The important point of this game is it is an AMD DX12U sponsored game show casing 6800 XT with every bell and whistle of RDNA2

1/3 of the damn screen is tier 2 VRS, an MS exclusive of DX12, and so if any game where XSX should be on par with ps5 it would be this game.

I recommend watching the above video, it details all the tech used in the engine, so it is hardly leaving anything on the table.

It will be interesting to see how 5700 XT runs this game. I dont believe there is an issue with DX12U tools, as PC is fine.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Resolution is sharper.
Graphical is about the same... has a bit better environment... a bit worst cars details.

It looks no better like I said... you will see some wins and some loses.

We are talking about a PS5/SeriesX game compare with PS360 and it can’t beat in graphics.

You see why I say I doubt your mental capacity sometimes?

New_720p_4.bmp.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
Something else I wonder.

The Xbox One X had an extra year, and an extra $100 to achieve its famous advantage. Were we foolish to assume that two consoles released in the same month, and one of them being only $50 less on average (average), were going to display these same traits?

If anything, it’s nice to have the renowned professionals backing up what seemed to be the case — PS5 is taking the lead, if slight.

I don’t know what this is. Is the PS5 the first example of something built with an eye towards budget ($400 model, 10 teraflops) being so incredibly designed, it keeps up with competition without those constraints, since the GameCube? Or did Microsoft indeed have a rough landing for launch, wherein the tools were not good, or ready in time for developers to make the most use of them?

The sheer lack of new game footage, would kind of point at that. Remember when we were getting BC games, over and over again, and wondering what was going on?

In any case, outside of the 120 FPS mode (!), I don’t see it being the end of the world. Series X is still putting forward a lovely version of the game, and before watching, just judging by the summaries, the PS5 lead seems slight. It’s just a rough time for people who thought they’d be getting the best multiplats... and an amazing bonus for people who just wanted the PS5 for other things.

I don't believe the PS5 is destroying the XSX in multiplat comparisons. Like you said whenever it does win it's only by a small amount.

To be honest I wasn't expecting these results. I was caught up in the marketing and thought the XSX would beat the PS5 by a much wider margin. I guess what I learned from this is that there's alot more to systems performance than just teraflops.

Something else I wonder.

The Xbox One X had an extra year, and an extra $100 to achieve its famous advantage. Were we foolish to assume that two consoles released in the same month, and one of them being only $50 less on average (average), were going to display these same traits?

Great point. I always wondered how the XSX was going to have a big advantage over the PS5 when their BOMs are about the same. With the One X they needed an extra year and a higher price tag to beat the Pro by a considerable margin. How can we expect the same results between the XSX and the PS5?

Last edited:

stranno

One S has rounded lights even on Performance Mode so.. yeah, it looks like a glitch. Maybe Lockhart compatibility mode at 120FPS mode?

One S looks really good all things considered, except the amount of screen tearing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
There wasnt any ss even for PS2 imo.
The later, cheaper GC spank it as it should.
The Xbox OG destroyed PS2 tech.

Yes let's see if Phil will make a statement next week. 🤷‍♀️

He will pay to add Dirt 5 to Game Pass. Game Pass solves all problems.

:messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
To be honest I wasn't expecting these results. I was caught up in the marketing and thought the XSX would beat the PS5 by a much wider margin. I guess what I learned from this is that there's alot more to systems performance than just teraflops.

Yeah, completely shocked, lol.

I was planning to pick PS5 up too for its exclusives, unique controller, and data handling. More than enough to justify for me, considering how gorgeous Souls and others are.

I did not expect it to take the lead in multiplats too. I’m holding off past launch before calling that, but it’s crazy seeing what’s happening here.

Vaztu

In 120hz mode, is XSX and XSS LOD the same ? or are they different - with XSX having better LOD than XSS? (like in the headlight comparison)

Riky

$MSFT
Just wait until they "fix" the bug on the Series X, higher settings won't affect performance at all, right? 👀

I doubt it will tank performance like PS5, bigger GPU should handle it ok. Add in VRR support and it clearly performs better.

That small GPU already starting to creak on a cross gen game. 25% framerate drops is pretty savage.

Mr Moose

I doubt it will tank performance like PS5, bigger GPU should handle it ok. Add in VRR support and it clearly performs better.

That small GPU already starting to creak on a cross gen game. 25% framerate drops is pretty savage.
What's even funnier is even at some points the Series X drop to 90s but not often.
0cXwVpf.png

It will be interesting to see how far it drops with the much higher settings the PS5 has at the moment.
Let's see if you are correct.

Top Bottom