• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That is a big difference :messenger_grimmacing_

I am really disappointed in DF here. I have defended them for months, but there is simply no excuse for them downplaying this. First they started this nonsense tools excuse, and now its a bug. Like what? they have a very good repertoire with codemasters, why didnt they get confirmation before saying its a bug? they said they told codemasters about this, but surely it would be easy for codemasters to say hey its a bug, we will fix it.

the nonsense about downplaying the difference in image quality modes and the framerate in the resolution mode is also weird. When the PS4 had worse AF in every game, we just assumed the PS4 was bad at AF. So why are we not assuming the same about the xsx underperforming in virtually every game? Why not assume that the xsx is able to keep up in the 120 fps mode because of the downgraded graphics?

I cant help, but wonder if they have boxed themselves into a corner here by running ludicrous articles and videos downplaying the PS5 hardware and are trying to save face. If you have proof that its a bug, fine. Show us the proof, get us a quote from a dev. It really shouldnt be that hard. if a console version is doing poorly in other modes, recommend the other.

This shouldnt be that hard. It's their one job. to recommend one version over the other, and they end the video saying its a wash. Like come the fuck on. What if codemasters doesnt patch the 120 fps mode? what if the patch doesnt fix the image quality mode? Will they still recommend people go buy the xsx version?

This is the 3rd direct comparison they have done where xsx is doing poorly. surely, this is a precedent. they havent covered watch dogs or cod but we have seen the ps5 do better there in other comparisons. Their dev sources already told them that the PS5 was more capable and that was before launch. Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and call up Microsoft and ask them just wtf is going on.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I am really disappointed in DF here. I have defended them for months, but there is simply no excuse for them downplaying this. First they started this nonsense tools excuse, and now its a bug. Like what? they have a very good repertoire with codemasters, why didnt they get confirmation before saying its a bug? they said they told codemasters about this, but surely it would be easy for codemasters to say hey its a bug, we will fix it.

the nonsense about downplaying the difference in image quality modes and the framerate in the resolution mode is also weird. When the PS4 had worse AF in every game, we just assumed the PS4 was bad at AF. So why are we not assuming the same about the xsx underperforming in virtually every game? Why not assume that the xsx is able to keep up in the 120 fps mode because of the downgraded graphics?

I cant help, but wonder if they have boxed themselves into a corner here by running ludicrous articles and videos downplaying the PS5 hardware and are trying to save face. If you have proof that its a bug, fine. Show us the proof, get us a quote from a dev. It really shouldnt be that hard. if a console version is doing poorly in other modes, recommend the other.

This shouldnt be that hard. It's their one job. to recommend one version over the other, and they end the video saying its a wash. Like come the fuck on. What if codemasters doesnt patch the 120 fps mode? what if the patch doesnt fix the image quality mode? Will they still recommend people go buy the xsx version?

This is the 3rd direct comparison they have done where xsx is doing poorly. surely, this is a precedent. they havent covered watch dogs or cod but we have seen the ps5 do better there in other comparisons. Their dev sources already told them that the PS5 was more capable and that was before launch. Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and call up Microsoft and ask them just wtf is going on.
Not enough blood for you?

kyoji

He blocked me on Twitter because I asked him where I needed to sign up to shill for Microsoft and get a free Series X.

On the real though, I'm sure Series X tools will improve over time. But in the video he says that Series X has a 16 - 20% power delta, and that once developers utilise Direct Machine Learning and Variable Rate Shading it can add 30% more efficiency, meaning once developers use all the tools and hardware available to them the visual and performance difference between Series X and PS5 will be "staggering". So lots of people were going in on him for damage control.

People dont get tired of making excuses for MS? we had to read for months how series x was going to destroy ps5 and at best ps5 would achieve parity, for me this is not about ps5 producing better or = versions in these comparisons its the fact that all this pre mature gloating has backfired on alot of people and now the excuse phase has started again. This whole tool gate is getting worn out alot sooner than expected and i predicted it would be an alibi for the xbox as to why the difference in power isnt staggering, as to say sonys tools wont improve over time as well. Point being we were told series x would dominate multiplats and to just wait for comparisons... well the comparisons are here...and regardless of whatever excuse xbox supporters want to come up with the fact of the matter was suppose to be that the gap in power would be so vast that any handicaps on the machine would not matter, xbox would still show a 'clear' power difference, jokes on you lads.

Dont worry though MS will make sure that if they release bethseda studio games on ps5 down the line that they make sure you believe that the performance of those games are only possible on a series x, 😏🙄 keep buying these wolf tickets folks!

onQ123

I don't believe the PS5 is destroying the XSX in multiplat comparisons. Like you said whenever it does win it's only by a small amount.

To be honest I wasn't expecting these results. I was caught up in the marketing and thought the XSX would beat the PS5 by a much wider margin. I guess what I learned from this is that there's alot more to systems performance than just teraflops.

Am I a joke to you?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/peop...the-ssd-is-going-to-be-its-life-line.1536804/

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Remember when the Series S would be pushing the PS5?

Good times
576p. Just imagine that from a next gen console. AND thats with worse graphics. Lower level detail and muddy textures everywhere. A digusting looking game by all metrics. Running at 576p.

I used to say that you can run any game at 60 fps if you drop the resolution enough. Im sure gow could run at 720p 60 fps with shittier graphics effects. But Sony knows that no one wants that shit. I cannot believe anyone here would want to play the 576p 120 fps mode on a 4k tv screen.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
In 120hz mode, is XSX and XSS LOD the same ? or are they different - with XSX having better LOD than XSS? (like in the headlight comparison)

The LOD on the Series consoles at 120fps is lower than even the Xbox One version.
Its like the unified dev environment settings were set to PC low low.

This is the Xbox One version, you can atleast see headlight detail isnt "oops we forgot to load it" levels.
NOHm2Xz.jpg

Riky

$MSFT
Cool but does this mode count as well or only the 120fps mode?
Screenshot-2020-11-21-at-16-02-12.png

That isn't a 25% tank in performance, PS5 drops from 120fps to 91fps, that's bad.

A few frames dropped from 60 is something VRR can deal with very easily, they state this in the video several times, VRR game changer. Until PS5 gets it then it's going to be rough, I don't think even VRR can help with 30fps drops though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Lol, PS5 winning every comparison, and DF is still biased.

I would think, give a little space for surprise and doubt, when a 12 teraflop system comes in behind a 10 teraflop system that dynamically can clock down a tiny bit under load.

That isn’t the hugest difference, but it’s still a difference, and these results are shocking.

oldergamer

You need to relax. DF isn't like you, where you want to take all the early results of tests on launch games and use that as proof PS5 is better then Xbox. I'd say it's a pretty obvious bug if both 120hz modes on the X/S are using the same LOD. posting a twitter clip from the DF video doesn't disprove what they said. If codemasters comes out and says this is not a bug, or doesn't fix it in a patch, then you can claim superiority.

Basically this comes down to you wanting to crown PS5 king, and DF is holding off doing that as launch titles are typically down to the wire, and not indicative of performance compared to tiles released months out.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You need to relax. DF isn't like you, where you want to take all the early results of tests on launch games and use that as proof PS5 is better then Xbox. I'd say it's a pretty obvious bug if both 120hz modes on the X/S are using the same LOD. posting a twitter clip from the DF video doesn't disprove what they said. If codemasters comes out and says this is not a bug, or doesn't fix it in a patch, then you can claim superiority.

Basically this comes down to you wanting to crown PS5 king, and DF is holding off doing that as launch titles are typically down to the wire.
Read my post again, if this is a bug, they need to get confirmation from the devs themselves. Devs who are very close to them. it should not be that hard.

Codeblew

It was logical conslusion based on specs alone, too bad devs were under NDA and the one that did speak loudly (Crytek) was trashed by everyone.
It was only logical if you think TF's are the end-all-be-all. It has been clear since Cerny's talk that Sony has put in a lot of custom hardware to reduce bottlenecks as much as possible in the rendering pipeline. A 12TF GPU isn't so great if it is only running at 40% (making up a number) efficiency.

Vaztu

The LOD on the Series consoles at 120fps is lower than even the Xbox One version.

This is the Xbox One version, you can atleast see headlight detail isnt "oops we forgot to load it" levels.

So what you are saying is that, right now, XSX is not even the most powerful Xbox ever ?

TheDude108

That isn't a 25% tank in performance, PS5 drops from 120fps to 91fps, that's bad.

A few frames dropped from 60 is something VRR can deal with very easily, they state this in the video several times, VRR game changer. Until PS5 gets it then it's going to be rough, I don't think even VRR can help with 30fps drops though.

VRR cannot be used as a solution to these problems. You can’t expect people to buy a VRR capable TV and say “done”. It’s on the developers to fix these issues.

onQ123

Lol, PS5 winning every comparison, and DF is still biased.

I would think, give a little space for surprise and doubt, when a 12 teraflop system comes in behind a 10 teraflop system that dynamically can clock down a tiny bit under load.

That isn’t the hugest difference, but it’s still a difference, and these results are shocking.

It's shocking to people who only look at the compute

assurdum

Banned

NOHm2Xz.jpg
I mean what make you think such bad LOD is not intentional? VRS or even the culling, all these chats of full RDNA2 tech, we don't achieve better performance with miraculous approach. It's about to reduce details "on the fly" and if you start to search differences in a tech comparison, raw edges appear in all their glory.

Last edited:
Abou that.

Screenshot-20201121-150037.png
It has to be a bug, right? Their theory on what "might" be going on is pretty interesting. I think it was that "it could be sending the render data or LOD of the Series S version for whatever reason" Or something like that. If that is the case, WTF is going on with their tools/software.

Thief1987

PS5 have higher AF, higher resolution and performs ~10% better in resolution mode. You are delusional if you think that after devs fix the "bug" in 120Hz mode it wouldn't be the same pattern between PS5 and XSX.

I lost count how many times they said "VRR" in this video, acting like it's some casual widely available thing. And this video as a whole just full of excuses for subpar xbox performance.

Last edited:

chigstoke

I get the Series S really is a budget system, but how on earth can potential dips to 570p, even on 120 mode be at all justified? It's a console that came out in 2020 for fucks sake. I'd have thought it could at least do 900p (not that that is spectacular by any means).

Just what is going on in general with the Series systems? X is hardly showering itself in glory as of yet is it? Doesn't Valhalla on PS5 best the Series X or have I read that wrong?

Last edited:
I doubt it will tank performance like PS5, bigger GPU should handle it ok. Add in VRR support and it clearly performs better.

That small GPU already starting to creak on a cross gen game. 25% framerate drops is pretty savage.

Even when DF literally said these drops happen only in certain situations and most of the time it runs smooth 120fps you still want to give the 360 era Series X 120hz mode the win? I mean if you need a win that bad, you can have it, but I'd rather not play with 360 graphics. And when VRR gets released for PS5 your performance "Win" will no longer be valid. Enjoy trimmed bush.

waquzy

I get the Series S really is a budget system, but how on earth can potential dips to 570p, even on 120 mode be at all justified? It's a console that came out in 2020 for fucks sake. I'd have thought it could at least do 900p (not that that is spectacular by any means).

Just what is going on in general with the Series systems? X is hardly showering itself in glory as of yet is it? Doesn't Valhalla on PS5 best the Series X or have I read that wrong?

You are correct. As a matter of fact the PS5 has beaten the XSX in every single game so far...

The PS5 drops to 900p in 120hz mode. Why do you expect the Series S to do the same?

Am I a joke to you?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/peop...the-ssd-is-going-to-be-its-life-line.1536804/

But it's easier to understand what's said here once you have proof of it happening. That's what these comparisons are.

No need to get angry at me as I wasn't trying to disrespect you with my comment.

recursive

Unlock my damn thread

That first page is brutal. Stuart will need to eat some fun socks.

Top Bottom