• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's D23 Expo 2017 GAF

Definitely, all we got at D23 was a little bit of Infinity War. Comic-Con is most likely:

new Thor trailer
Hall H cast blowouts for Thor, Black Panther, Infinity War, maybe Ant-Man & Wasp
new footage for Black Panther
possible cast announcements for the Black Order
concept art for Ant-Man & Wasp
and another sneak peek of Infinity War footage

This year's panel is longer than any Marvel Studios has had in the past.

These are all my assumptions, too.

mreddie

Definitely, all we got at D23 was a little bit of Infinity War. Comic-Con is most likely:

new Thor trailer
Hall H cast blowouts for Thor, Black Panther, Infinity War, maybe Ant-Man & Wasp
new footage for Black Panther
possible cast announcements for the Black Order
concept art for Ant-Man & Wasp
and another sneak peek of Infinity War footage

This year's panel is longer than any Marvel Studios has had in the past.

Add in the Marvel TV and whatever FOX has and SHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

TDLink

So I was ironically at Disneyland this past weekend (got to see the new Fantasmic, which was great!) and just now am catching up on all this news.

Pretty much the only thing I have a problem with is the overload of Pixar stuff. Between Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, the Pixar parade. I believe there is already at least one Pixar attraction at literally every one of the American parks too, and those aren't going away. I'm getting Pixar overload...when honestly they're a smaller part of the Disney family and shouldn't have this much presence in the parks. But it is what it is, I know Lasseter is the reason for it all.

Big question: What the hell is going to happen with Star Tours? In Disneyland it's on the opposite end from where Galaxy's Edge will be...are they going to move the ride over there? I can't see them scrapping it entirely after just recently updating it and continuing to add scenes from new films...

In Fact, I feel like all of Tomorrowland at DL is in need of a complete revamp. There's so much Star Wars happening there with the launch bay and the theatre playing that dumb montage video in addition to Star Tours. All this stuff can't continue to exist once Galaxy's Edge opens. So what's going to take its place? And of course there's the continuing space wasters with the Subs and Cars. The fact they haven't said anything on this is really puzzling.

Tomorrowland in MK has some on-going problems too with the Laugh Floor, Cars, and Stitch...but at least they're getting Tron.

Regarding Epcot and the IP debate...The park has been stagnant for ages and the Ellen ride has been a waste of space for a long time. I'm all for the changes here. They're finally doing stuff. I don't get the people revolting against any of the new additions. I think some people will complain about anything changing, but that's the way the world (and these parks) work. They change. And that's great. At least a lot of new things are finally happening.

I don't think it matters if an IP is used, it has always been a part of Disney Parks all the way back to Snow White's Scary Adventures. Deal with it. Ratatouille fits in at France just fine. GotG isn't a perfect fit at Future World, but it's also not completely out there either...especially if they end up revamping that side of it into a more general "Space" land or something, which is very possible. Love the stuff they're doing with expanding the Mission Space Pavilion, both with the new (and different) green ride and the restaurant.

Also think it's great they're redoing and opening up the center of what's currently Future World. It is going to feel very different and open, which is great. Still hoping some of those rumored country pavilions get announced, but there's plenty of time for that.

alemmon

So I was ironically at Disneyland this past weekend (got to see the new Fantasmic, which was great!) and just now am catching up on all this news.

Pretty much the only thing I have a problem with is the overload of Pixar stuff. Between Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, the Pixar parade. I believe there is already at least one Pixar attraction at literally every one of the American parks too, and those aren't going away. I'm getting Pixar overload...when honestly they're a smaller part of the Disney family and shouldn't have this much presence in the parks. But it is what it is, I know Lasseter is the reason for it all.

Big question: What the hell is going to happen with Star Tours? In Disneyland it's on the opposite end from where Galaxy's Edge will be...are they going to move the ride over there? I can't see them scrapping it entirely after just recently updating it and continuing to add scenes from new films...

In Fact, I feel like all of Tomorrowland at DL is in need of a complete revamp. There's so much Star Wars happening there with the launch bay and the theatre playing that dumb montage video in addition to Star Tours. All this stuff can't continue to exist once Galaxy's Edge opens. So what's going to take its place? And of course there's the continuing space wasters with the Subs and Cars. The fact they haven't said anything on this is really puzzling.

Tomorrowland in MK has some on-going problems too with the Laugh Floor, Cars, and Stitch...but at least they're getting Tron.

Regarding Epcot and the IP debate...The park has been stagnant for ages and the Ellen ride has been a waste of space for a long time. I'm all for the changes here. They're finally doing stuff. I don't get the people revolting against any of the new additions. I think some people will complain about anything changing, but that's the way the world (and these parks) work. They change. And that's great. At least a lot of new things are finally happening.

I don't think it matters if an IP is used, it has always been a part of Disney Parks all the way back to Snow White's Scary Adventures. Deal with it. Ratatouille fits in at France just fine. GotG isn't a perfect fit at Future World, but it's also not completely out there either...especially if they end up revamping that side of it into a more general "Space" land or something, which is very possible. Love the stuff they're doing with expanding the Mission Space Pavilion, both with the new (and different) green ride and the restaurant.

Also think it's great they're redoing and opening up the center of what's currently Future World. It is going to feel very different and open, which is great. Still hoping some of those rumored country pavilions get announced, but there's plenty of time for that.

Man... I 100 percent agree with the Pixar statement. It makes me mad that Pixar has a bigger presence than some of their animated features.

Tomorrow land in the Magic Kingdom NEEDS a overhaul on top of the Tron rollercoaster. That Stitch thing has to go. It is terrible. I have a feeling that these will be addressed. I think Disney is just spacing these announcements.

Epcot. I totally agree with what they are doing. There is nothing wrong with adding their Disney properties to the world showcase, as long as the culture is staying. Epcot needs a bit of a refresh and during the announcements they said that there are more changes coming.

Its crazy to think that the next time I am able to go Disney World, that there could be 15-20 new attractions since my last visit (3 years ago).

Crazylegs

Star Wars resort! Fully immersive, "every minute of your stay" will be themed. Every window looks out into "space."

This is what I'm really excited about! I'm not even slightly a cosplayer, but I'm super-interested in the idea of spending a few days of 24x7 living in SW universe and being part of the story.

Of course, no date announced for this. I'm guessing this would open after Galaxy's Edge, so 2020 or 2021. But what do I know?

TDLink

This is what I'm really excited about! I'm not even slightly a cosplayer, but I'm super-interested in the idea of spending a few days of 24x7 living in SW universe and being part of the story.

Of course, no date announced for this. I'm guessing this would open after Galaxy's Edge, so 2020 or 2021. But what do I know?

Having it ready late 2019 to coincide with the Land makes the most sense imo.

Re: Pixar overload. Toy Story is over 20 years old at this point. For many (especially younger) guests, Pixar's movies *are* Disney. I saw a mom asking her kid in between the two parks today, "Do you want to go see Buzz *motions towards Disneyland, presumably because Astro Blasters is there*, or Woody *motions towards DCA*?"

Re: Pixar overload. Toy Story is over 20 years old at this point. For many (especially younger) guests, Pixar's movies *are* Disney. I saw a mom asking her kid in between the two parks today, "Do you want to go see Buzz *motions towards Disneyland, presumably because Astro Blasters is there*, or Woody *motions towards DCA*?"

I mean just listen to the reaction to the Toy Story world reveal for Kingdom Hearts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWoPD51gvBM
Toy Story at this point is about as solid Disney as you can get.

Snaku

Banned
img_6215g7khp.jpg

People tend to think that whatever was all the rage during THEIR childhood is quintessential Disney. For example as you alluded to, Toy Story is Disney for my nephews. Monsters Inc. is Disney to them, same with Finding Nemo. That's who they want to see when they visit a Disney park. They could give a rats ass about Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc...

If anything I should be the one upset because there aren't any Lion King or Aladdin E-tickets out there.

I always enjoyed that ride. I get why they're getting rid of it though. It's a very non-Disney ride, especially considering all the properties involved.

On a somewhat related note, I rode the GotG ride that replaced Tower of Terror this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The theme goes very, very well. Unlike ToT, the new version mixes the falls with the audio and visuals instead of having the presentation before the falls. I think I may like it more than the old version, though I prefer the old theme. I'm glad that they maintained the old version at WDW so we can have the best of both worlds.

TDLink

I mean just listen to the reaction to the Toy Story world reveal for Kingdom Hearts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWoPD51gvBM
Toy Story at this point is about as solid Disney as you can get.

People tend to think that whatever was all the rage during THEIR childhood is quintessential Disney. For example as you alluded to, Toy Story is Disney for my nephews. Monsters Inc. is Disney to them, same with Finding Nemo. That's who they want to see when they visit a Disney park. They could give a rats ass about Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc...

If anything I should be the one upset because there aren't any Lion King or Aladdin E-tickets out there.

I'm not saying Pixar isn't Disney. Or that the movies aren't great. I love a lot of them. In fact I am happy Ratatouille is getting a ride because that's one of my favs. But Disney at the same time continues to segregate them themselves. Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, Carsland...not a single one of Disney Animation's properties get this kind of treatment. And that's a bit weird to me. The closest thing is the Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid "areas" that were part of the Fantasyland Expansion. But those don't really compare with entire themed lands.

Why are the Pixar properties so special to get 3 whole lands across the parks dedicated to them? That just seems odd to me.

Additionally, I feel like there are a large amount of attractions for Toy Story and Nemo specifically across the parks. While many popular Disney properties like Aladdin, BatB, Mulan, Hercules, Hunchback, Rescuers, Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, and others either have no attractions or just barely one...and certainly no E ticket style rides like all the Pixar properties are getting.

This is where the "overload" comes from for me. Spread the love around, not just in Pixar's direction. And not just primarily at 3-4 properties from Pixar too.

I'm not saying Pixar isn't Disney. Or that the movies aren't great. I love a lot of them. In fact I am happy Ratatouille is getting a ride because that's one of my favs. But Disney at the same time continues to segregate them themselves. Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, Carsland...not a single one of Disney Animation's properties get this kind of treatment. And that's a bit weird to me. The closest thing is the Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid "areas" that were part of the Fantasyland Expansion. But those don't really compare with entire themed lands.

Why are the Pixar properties so special to get 3 whole lands across the parks dedicated to them? That just seems odd to me.

Additionally, I feel like there are a large amount of attractions for Toy Story and Nemo specifically across the parks. While many popular Disney properties like Aladdin, BatB, Mulan, Hercules, Hunchback, Rescuers, Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, and others either have no attractions or just barely one...and certainly no E ticket style rides like all the Pixar properties are getting.

This is where the "overload" comes from for me. Spread the love around, not just in Pixar's direction. And not just primarily at 3-4 properties from Pixar too.

On point #1:
Cars (despite my hate) can fill an entire land with a unique themed world .
same for Pandora(hate included.)

on the other hand what could possibly fill up a Little Mermaid land in the US parks?
its more of an "average" fantasy world that focuses on the special thing in particular.
It could be possible to make the entire land sea themed but at that point why not bring in stuff like Nemo as well?
Aladdin gets some decent love overall(characters, shows, etc)
Beauty and the Beast get more than enough love in Florida at least

As much as I love Mulan I honestly can't think of anything outside Epcot they could do anything significant with.
I do think they should show it a bit more love/respect with merchandise and little stuff like the greets being with
vs the dress(which completely goes against the movie)
But really even with Mulan as my favorite of the classic Disney movies I can't think of anything beyond that.

I give you the pier as it seems just thrown on but the other Pixar stuff makes a lot of sense from a world theme perspective.
Now if we get Wall-e Land or Up-Land.... there's a problem.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I always enjoyed that ride. I get why they're getting rid of it though. It's a very non-Disney ride, especially considering all the properties involved.

On a somewhat related note, I rode the GotG ride that replaced Tower of Terror this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised. The theme goes very, very well. Unlike ToT, the new version mixes the falls with the audio and visuals instead of having the presentation before the falls. I think I may like it more than the old version, though I prefer the old theme. I'm glad that they maintained the old version at WDW so we can have the best of both worlds.

well you're not alone since the ratings went up and it's the highest rated attraction in Anaheim now.

TDLink

On point #1:
Cars (despite my hate) can fill an entire land with a unique themed world .
same for Pandora(hate included.)

on the other hand what could possibly fill up a Little Mermaid land?
its more of an "average" fantasy world that focuses on the special thing in particular.
It could be possible to make the entire land sea themed but at that point why not bring in stuff like Nemo as well?
Aladdin gets some decent love overall(characters, shows, etc)
Beauty and the Beast get more than enough love in Florida at least

As much as I love Mulan I honestly can't think of anything outside Epcot they could do anything significant with.
I do think they should show it a bit more love/respect with merchandise and little stuff like the greets being with

vs the dress(which completely goes against the movie)
But really even with Mulan as my favorite of the classic Disney movies I can't think of anything beyond that.

Any one property could fill an entire land. To come up with ~3 attractions based on any one film and put them in the world of that film really isn't that difficult. But that doesn't mean they should. Right now only Pixar is getting this treatment outside of Star Wars and Marvel (both of which are somewhat more justifiable). I actually would have been fine with a general "Pixar Place" plan that was proposed before TSL was finalized, but now there are distinctly going to be 3 different Pixar lands (2 in the same park) on top of all the Pixar attractions elsewhere. It's too much.

None of those other properties have D or E ticket rides. Aladdin and BatB have gotten shows, sure. That's something. But there's no like, Flying carpet thrill ride. Or even a Dark Ride through Beast's castle. Or anything like that. I didn't mention Mermaid specifically because she did at least get a ride...basically the only modern (if we can even still consider 89 modern) one that has.

EDIT: And if it wasn't clear, I'm of course talking about the parks in the US. I am away of Disney Sea's Aladdin and Mermaid lands (though Arabian Coast is actually a bit more broad than just being Aladdin).

Top Bottom