• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's D23 Expo 2017 GAF

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for some of my friends who work at Great Movie Ride. They found out just now that they're ride is closing, so less than a month before transfer!

Linkura

I feel bad for some of my friends who work at Great Movie Ride. They found out just now that they're ride is closing, so less than a month before transfer!

So they were the last people to know then. It was known it was going to be closing around Labor Day several months ago.

Snaku

Banned

Sorry for them, but I rode it for the first time in years last month and it was terrible. TCM completely ruined the amazing queue, and Robert Osborne narrating the whole ride was revolting. That was my favorite ride at MGM, and I literally couldn't wait to get off.

muteki

Lots of new stuff for wdw but going to be crazy busy going there for a few years.

Sad for Gmr and Ellen but at least Mickey gets his own ride now.

I just read this last page, what are they changing the great movie ride for.
Please, tell me they at least are not going to destroy the chinese theater facade like they did with ToT.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Star Wars resort! Fully immersive, "every minute of your stay" will be themed. Every window looks out into "space."

I remember when they did a poll for this. Glad it's actually happening!

I just read this last page, what are they changing the great movie ride for.
Please, tell me they at least are not going to destroy the chinese theater facade like they did with ToT.

It's a Mickey and Minnie 2.5D experience.

It needs to go. Great Movie Ride was NOT taken care of. It could have been something incredible still, but the lack of refurbishments and care means the ride was sort of a "let's get out of the heat for a bit" filler.

All these theme park rides for Cali and especially Orlando are not surprising. Theme park attendance rankings came out for 2016 and every single US based Disney park had a drop while every single Universal US theme park had a bump. Universal is putting in that work, while Disney's been slacking on the theme park front.

I'm still bummed about no new country pavilion though. They have space there. Spain, Russia, Brazil. All good and exotic options. Also, fix the US one because it's garbage and have a more eclectic gastronomy section there as opposed to hot dogs and burgers, that's embarrassing. LA, HI, TX, S. CA, S. FL, NY, IL, PR cuisine to show variety in geology, food, and culture.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the new gondola system at WDW could be amazing.

Also an Uber-like service with "Minnie" vans to get people around. Hope we get some more details on that soon.

Yeah, I use Uber / Lyft a lot at the parks already, this is good.

Long term I think it's the pilot program for a fleet of automated vehicles to get guests around

It needs to go. Great Movie Ride was NOT taken care of. It could have been something incredible still, but the lack of refurbishments and care means the ride was sort of a "let's get out of the heat for a bit" filler.

Yeah, the movie ride had been neglected for so long, something had to happen, either a complete redo with movies more relevant to people today, or something more lasting and timeless.

A trackless Mickey dark ride has a ton of potential if it end up being a high D or even E ticket. Could be cool.

Wait, they are changing Paradise Pier again?! Wtf at trying to destroy the best refurbishment a disney park ever got with carsland/buena vista/1920 paradise pier at DCA.
The fuck is in charge of this stupidity, is it Joe Rohde and fucking Bob again that want to piss in all the imagineers that work on DCA refurbishment? I know there were some imagineers that worked on that refurbishment thay were royally possed already at GotG braking the inmersion they created.

Theres already a fucking pixar ride in paradise pier that work well with the theming ffs.
Every year it passes they want me to hate them more as a disney parks fan.

I dont mind changing the ride if its something like mickey and minnie in the movies (or old vintage cartoons, that would be fantastic) and they still leave the facade how it is.

Gartooth

The next five years of WDW are absolutely insane. They have really stepped it up with Pandora and now all of this after many many years of neglect.

In 2018 we get Toy Story Land, in 2019 there's Star Wars Land, then before the 50th anniversary we get Mickey in Hollywood Studios, Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot, and Tron in Magic Kingdom. All of this at the expense of two rides that IMO were at the end of their lifespans. (although I would have liked to have seen a modernized version of GMR if Disney kept it up.)

A 1% drop. Flat lining attendance while increasing profits is exactly what Disney wanted.

Even if you want to take that argument, you still can't ignore your competitor's growth. Universal has gotten a tremendous bump in attendance on their parks over the past ~7 years, especially compared to Disney. Disney can't afford to sit on their asses. And Universal hasn't even started with the Nintendo rides yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they open a 3rd gate eventually. Also consider the amount of complaining and noise that hardcore fans made over lack of new rides and whatnot, especially with Disney Shanghai taking forever and being over budget.

Linkura

The next five years of WDW are absolutely insane. They have really stepped it up with Pandora and now all of this after many many years of neglect.

In 2018 we get Toy Story Land, in 2019 there's Star Wars Land, then before the 50th anniversary we get Mickey in Hollywood Studios, Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot, and Tron in Magic Kingdom. All of this at the expense of two rides that IMO were at the end of their lifespans. (although I would have liked to have seen a modernized version of GMR if Disney kept it up.)

Um, Toy Story Land and SW Land came at the expense of way more than two rides.

Even if you want to take that argument, you still can't ignore your competitor's growth. Universal has gotten a tremendous bump in attendance on their parks over the past ~7 years, especially compared to Disney. Disney can't afford to sit on their asses. And Universal hasn't even started with the Nintendo rides yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they open a 3rd gate eventually. Also consider the amount of complaining and noise that hardcore fans made over lack of new rides and whatnot, especially with Disney Shanghai taking forever and being over budget.
It's not an argument. It's their business strategy. Disneyland has closed on capacity on a few non holiday dates this year already. They have demand and flat lining attendance means price increases. The upside is that Disney is aware that new experiences are necessary to keep that demand or to increase capacity.

Those fucking idiots...
npifi498978951.jpg

Smh at using Luna Park/dreamland 1900s theming, theming that represent Coney Island and the east coast, in a park that is supposedly a tribute (not anymore, thats for sure) to california...

It worked amazingly well in tokyo disney sea because it was near the american waterfront, an area based on new york, but here it just feels like they are trying to clone it for people thinks its cool sake.
Old california vicorian boardwalks didnt look as light towers and arches as the new york ones.
The addition of color on the towers and arches help differencoate somewhat (coney islands ones were nearly completely white) but still, it resemblem too much for my taste.
Does disney still have someone at imagineering that still knows what he is doing and not sucking Bobs dick so they arent fired?

California screamin is also one of my favourite coasters, not for sensations, but because of the experince and music. And im sure they are going to change the music to some toy story theme.
I love pixar but fucking stop lasseter.

Honest opinion: I think it's kinda disappointing how every new addition to Disney parks these days seem to always tie into some IP.

I mean I don't have an issue with IP based attractions, obviously they're the big money makers, but, I don't know. I kinda miss when Disney produced stuff like Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Thunder Mountain, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, It's a Small World, Expedition Everest, Countdown to Extinction (which is still basically the same ride as its always been, regardless of the flimsy DINOSAUR tie-in), etc alongside attractions based on pre-existing series. Nowadays it seems to be nothing but the latter.

After visiting efteling last week for the first time (they snatched away the theme park insider best theme park award this year from tokyo disney sea) i have to say prefer the ways of efteling of complete new ips for the rides with incredible elaborated stories and theming and the preservation of legacy rides, that the disney way this last few years, even if i hav been a massive disney theme park fan my whole life.

For me, the last thing they really made with some thought in the process for creating a better place and still preserving the good stuff was DCA 2.0
Doesnt surpise me either than many of the imagineers that worked on that refurbishment are out of disney or criticising the updates on twitter, or both.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Honest opinion: I think it's kinda disappointing how every new addition to Disney parks these days seem to always tie into some IP.

I mean I don't have an issue with IP based attractions, obviously they're the big money makers, but, I don't know. I kinda miss when Disney produced stuff like Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Thunder Mountain, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, It's a Small World, Expedition Everest, Countdown to Extinction (which is still basically the same ride as its always been, regardless of the flimsy DINOSAUR tie-in), etc alongside attractions based on pre-existing series. Nowadays it seems to be nothing but the latter.

Simple answer is that those were wildly different times. They didn't HAVE the huge pool of IPs to develop attractions off of, so it made sense that they had to develop these pocket stories to support the experience. That's not the case anymore.

Linkura

Those fucking idiots...

Smh at using Luna Park/dreamland 1900s theming, theming that represent Coney Island and the east coast, in a park that is supposedly a tribute (not anymore, thats for sure) to california...

It worked amazingly well in tokyo disney sea because it was near the american waterfront, an area based on new york, but here it just feels like they are trying to clone it for people thinks its cool sake.
Old california vicorian boardwalks didnt look as light towers and arches as the new york ones.
The addition of color on the towers and arches help differencoate somewhat (coney islands ones were nearly completely white) but still, it resemblem too much for my taste.
Does disney still have someone at imagineering that still knows what he is doing and not sucking Bobs dick so they arent fired?

California screamin is also one of my favourite coasters, not for sensations, but because of the experince and music. And im sure they are going to change the music to some toy story theme.
I love pixar but fucking stop lasseter.

I'm glad I'm making my first trip to DLR this September, before all this stupid shit happens.

Can someone link me to a summary of all the WDW news? Also, is Galaxy's Edge coming to WDW as well as WDL? And is it early 2019 or late?

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...lt-disney-parks-and-resorts-at-d23-expo-2017/

WDW and DL. We don't know about the date other than 2019.

I'm glad I'm making my first trip to DLR this September, before all this stupid shit happens.

Note that if this is your first trip to DLR...the Paradise Pier stuff is currently the worst-themed at California Adventure. The Buena Vista Street redo was *awesome*, but the Pier changes were never that inspiring - instead of a generic amusement park pier, it was a generic amusement park pier with some Disney characters drawn in. Pixar Pier (assuming they put more effort into it) could fix that.

For me, at least, this is the next step in fixing the overall issue with the park: that the "California" idea was a bad one to begin with. They wanted to do something grander, didn't want to spend the money, and decided on California Adventure as the cheap option. The sooner they stop trying to shoehorn their ideas into that California theming, the better.

golem

Note that if this is your first trip to DLR...the Paradise Pier stuff is currently the worst-themed at California Adventure. The Buena Vista Street redo was *awesome*, but the Pier changes were never that inspiring - instead of a generic amusement park pier, it was a generic amusement park pier with some Disney characters drawn in. Pixar Pier (assuming they put more effort into it) could fix that.

Yep the theming of that pier is generic as hell and I'm surprised people are upset about it

Wanderer5

Well, back at home now. What a wonderful time that was, through I was getting really tired today.XD Ended up going to the Dream store to finally do a bit of shopping, and got the space mountain 40th anniversary pin and this little guy.

Disney-D23-Expo-2017-Star-Wars-R5-D23-Sorcerer.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Can someone link me to a summary of all the WDW news? Also, is Galaxy's Edge coming to WDW as well as WDL? And is it early 2019 or late?

Star Wars Land is coming to. It's.

Expect Disneyland to open prior to summer 2019
Disney World more like Holiday 2019

The Hotle / Resort is a Disney World exclusive tho

From a financial perspective if you are going to build an E-ticket its best to have some sort of IP tie in you can sell and market the hell out of. When Universal is cranking out another Harry Potter land and Nintendo World, Disney needs a name to sell if they want to keep people from straying. A 2017 Haunted Mansion (Mystic Manor) is not competing with Mario.

Wanderer5

Wonder if they are going to change the theme for California Screamin. I could see the carousal there possibly change to a finding nemo theme.

Gartooth

Um, Toy Story Land and SW Land came at the expense of way more than two rides.

Ah, right I forgot how much that park has been gutted. They really should just close it for a year with GMR now closing.

Still I feel like these expansions have been a long time coming. After all the love in recent years going to foreign parks it is nice to see some new attractions come to WDW.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ah, right I forgot how much that park has been gutted. They really should just close it for a year with GMR now closing.

Still I feel like these expansions have been a long time coming. After all the love in recent years going to foreign parks it is nice to see some new attractions come to WDW.

they can't close it, it's where all the Star Wars is!

it's a park with like, 4 rides all of which are high-D / E-Tickets.

it just needs more for people to do. Fortunately I don't think GMR soaks that much crowd these days (you know it's busy when the standby line gets over like 30 minutes there).

It's probably what saved (at least partially) the Orlando Tower of Terror

Gartooth

they can't close it, it's where all the Star Wars is!

it's a park with like, 4 rides all of which are high-D / E-Tickets.

it just needs more for people to do. Fortunately I don't think GMR soaks that much crowd these days (you know it's busy when the standby line gets over like 30 minutes there).

It's probably what saved (at least partially) the Orlando Tower of Terror

True, closing ToT for GotG would have been even a greater operational mess on the park. At that point they either had to delay GotG for a couple years or put it in another park.

It's a move I'm happy with though since it saves us a great ride and gives us an original one for what will probably be the only Marvel ride at WDW. (Except maybe Dr. Strange?)

Grym

Nah. We just went and spent a full entire day (open to close) there late last fall (and didn't even go on GMR). Granted that is with younger kids so there is definitely more to do with them. But even for older people it is still a half day park withthe closures.

We first ran to the line to get a time for Jedi Training. Then met Chewbacca, Kylo Ren, Jawas, and Strormtroopers and spent some time in Star Wars launch Bay. Did Tower of Terror (twice), rode Rockin' Rollercoaster, ate lunch, did Toy Story Midway Mania, met Buzz and Woody and Army men, did the Frozen show, met Olaf, did Star Tours (twice), did the Muppet movie, ate table service dinner, did the Indy show, had our Jedi Training time, and then saw Fantasmic.

I agree the park is sparse. And if you take out the character meets and Jedi training, it is definitely only a half day park (and getting worse) at the moment though.

Why is that crappy little mermaid and beauty and the beast show still there...???? Those are horrendous, and laughingly old.

The beauty and the beast show...they have so many cruise line productions they can't stick a modern updated one in there?

The little mermaid screen literally looks like it's from the 80s...

So...what's even gonna happen to Star Tours with Galaxy's Edge opening up? Doesn't seem like it's gonna be relocated there. It'd be kinda weird to have this standalone SW ride while there's an entire land dedicated to it right by in the same park.

Wonder if it's gonna get axed (or rethemed).

Gartooth

Nah. We just went and spent a full entire day (open to close) there late last fall (and didn't even go on GMR). Granted that is with younger kids so there is definitely more to do with them. But even for older people it is still a half day park withthe closures.

We first ran to the line to get a time for Jedi Training. Then met Chewbacca, Kylo Ren, Jawas, and Strormtroopers and spent some time in Star Wars launch Bay. Did Tower of Terror (twice), rode Rockin' Rollercoaster, ate lunch, did Toy Story Midway Mania, met Buzz and Woody and Army men, did the Frozen show, met Olaf, did Star Tours (twice), did the Muppet movie, ate table service dinner, did the Indy show, had our Jedi Training time, and then saw Fantasmic.

I agree the park is sparse. And if you take out the character meets and Jedi training, it is definitely only a half day park (and getting worse) at the moment though.

I see your point and with a park hopper it isn't too bad. I plan to stop there on my next trip for an early morning run on ToT. As a standalone park though I feel like it represents the worst value of any park in Orlando. Paying over $100 for a day at that park on its own seems like robbery to me.

So...what's even gonna happen to Star Tours with Galaxy's Edge opening up? Doesn't seem like it's gonna be relocated there. It'd be kinda weird to have this standalone SW ride while there's an entire land dedicated to it right by in the same park.

I think Star Tours is going to be there a while longer because when Galaxy's Edge opens they will need every ride they have. Longterm though I would like to see something else move in since there's that weird break between it and the rest of the Star Wars area. Maybe Indiana Jones or Dr. Strange attractions could take over that land?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I don't think it'll get axed.

The Star Wars Land stuff will be hyper themed / immersive. Star Tours doesn't fit that, but there's no reason to axe it entirely. It's popular, it soaks up the crowds.

thaaaat said.... it could become the Iron Man Experience since that video is done and stuff and the simulators are the same. Probably not in Orlando though due to the licensing with Universal

thaaaat said.... it could become the Iron Man Experience since that video is done and stuff and the simulators are the same. Probably not in Orlando though due to the licensing with Universal

I think this is likely, given that Stark Industries would fit into Tomorrowland's theme better than Star Wars does. Re-use an asset currently only in one park + make a pretty old ride new + be more thematically consistent with the land? Sounds like a good fit.

Gartooth

I think this is likely, given that Stark Industries would fit into Tomorrowland's theme better than Star Wars does. Re-use an asset currently only in one park + make a pretty old ride new + be more thematically consistent with the land? Sounds like a good fit.

Putting it in Disneyland does make a lot of sense since they can use the character at that park. The only con I can think of is that it would make much more sense as an addition to Marvel Land at DCA.

Speaking of, I think it is craaaazy how they are planning a Spider-Man attraction there. I really wonder how Imagineers are going to do it since they will be inviting heavy skepticism if it can't live up to the Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. Especially when considering that Avengers is probably going to be the showcase E ticket for Marvel Land.

Wanderer5

So this expo should be coming to a close now if it hasn't already. Great weekend with a lot of news and all. If I still around in 2019, maybe I will be up for a more solid OT for next time lol.

And now for Comic Con to come around. I wonder if Marvel is going to add on from D23 there regarding MCU stuff.

Linkura

I see your point and with a park hopper it isn't too bad. I plan to stop there on my next trip for an early morning run on ToT. As a standalone park though I feel like it represents the worst value of any park in Orlando. Paying over $100 for a day at that park on its own seems like robbery to me.

On my last trip a few months ago, I stopped in there just to ride RNRC and GMR, lmao. I love TOT as a ride, but it makes me sick (as does Star Tours), so I don't ride it anymore. :(

Bronx-Man

Banned
So this expo should be coming to a close now if it hasn't already. Great weekend with a lot of news and all. If I still around in 2019, maybe I will be up for a more solid OT for next time lol.

And now for Comic Con to come around. I wonder if Marvel is going to add on from D23 there regarding MCU stuff.
Definitely, all we got at D23 was a little bit of Infinity War. Comic-Con is most likely:

new Thor trailer
Hall H cast blowouts for Thor, Black Panther, Infinity War, maybe Ant-Man & Wasp
new footage for Black Panther
possible cast announcements for the Black Order
concept art for Ant-Man & Wasp
and another sneak peek of Infinity War footage

This year's panel is longer than any Marvel Studios has had in the past.

Wanderer5

Definitely, all we got at D23 was a little bit of Infinity War. Comic-Con is most likely:

new Thor trailer
Hall H cast blowouts for Thor, Black Panther, Infinity War, maybe Ant-Man & Wasp
new footage for Black Panther
possible cast announcements for the Black Order
concept art for Ant-Man & Wasp
and another sneak peek of Infinity War footage

This year's panel is longer than any Marvel Studios has had in the past.

So was it pretty much just Infinity War for the live action panel regarding Marvel?

Top Bottom