• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia Final Fantasy ARCADE ANNOUNCED! [Update: Trailer + Info]

Now that you mention it... I don't remember a Prishe sprite =X

PFF_x_FFXI_Prishe.jpg

I didn't noticed one the site though.

TreIII

What if Byking is too busy with additional Gunslinger Stratos stuff, and S-E got CC2 instead for their ability to shit out graphically impressive games instead! After all, the producer of the old Dissidia games did work with them recently on the FFVII G-Bike mobile game!

I don't want this to happen. :(

Pfffffffft.

But seriously, it would be interesting to see just how full ByKing's plate is. As of right now, we know that they're working on a) continued Gunslinger Stratos updates for SE and b) continued Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost updates for Bamco.

Depending on whether or not they're also involved with at least ONE out of either Dissidia:AE or Capcom's upcoming Attack on Titan arcade game, they'd stand to be very busy for quite a while.

Sad thing is, ByKing would be so apt to work on both titles, that it would a bit sad to hear that one of them likely isn't going to get their touch.

theelight said:
I suppose... I don't really know anything about Japanese arcades.

The great thing about the current arcade environment is that it keeps a lot of things about competitive game design "honest". Likewise, the prospective crowd it stands to attract would be just as frank with their response to that game.

In other words, a lot of the things that were described as being detriments to the original Dissidia games? They wouldn't fly at all in an arcade environment. After all, the average round of play for a game of this sort shouldn't be longer than 3 minutes, tops. It keeps things moving, so that more players can get to playing and plopping yen into the machines.

That facet ALONE would hopefully do a lot to make sure that stuff like the aforementioned Exdeath example wouldn't be a factor here. Or if something to that effect was discovered, it'd be addressed rather promptly.

The great thing about the current arcade environment is that it keeps a lot of things about competitive game design "honest". Likewise, the prospective crowd it stands to attract would be just as frank with their response to that game.

In other words, a lot of the things that were described as being detriments to the original Dissidia games? They wouldn't fly at all in an arcade environment. After all, the average round of play for a game of this sort shouldn't be longer than 3 minutes, tops. It keeps things moving, so that more players can get to playing and plopping yen into the machines.

That facet ALONE would hopefully do a lot to make sure that stuff like the aforementioned Exdeath example wouldn't be a factor here. Or if something to that effect was discovered, it'd be addressed rather promptly.

Huh, did not know how serious Japanese arcades are (the last thing I remember seeing is a table flipping game)... Thanks for the insight!

But then it's like, are they completely changing all the mechanics? Because let's pretend that Dissidia is perfectly balanced for a moment, stuff like the Bravery system is not only the basis of the game, it's also something that can make a match last anything from 20 seconds to 20 minutes in a more casual match. Something like that would be considered for an arcade game? Would they re-do the entire thing or just strip it completely?

As much as I will play the heck of this game if it ever comes to consoles, I kinda wish it was still Dissidia, and not your generic arena fighter with FF characters...

This could very easily come to ps4 as well as xb1 considering square is already putting ffxv & kh3 on the xb1. Doesn't really seem unlikely they will pass up the free money as ps4 & xb1 architecture is not wildly different like ps3 & 360 was.

"Do you guys think it will have up to 6 human players or will it be 3 humans vs the CPU?"

I would be very surprised if it weren't 6 human players. This style of game (team vs team combat) is extremely popular in Japanese arcades right now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As much as I will play the heck of this game if it ever comes to consoles, I kinda wish it was still Dissidia, and not your generic arena fighter with FF characters...

Same here. I would buy it on day 1 in heart beat if it come out before FF15 and KH3. I hope that it would have better online interface and netcode if they decided to release it on console.

I would be very disconcerting if they decide to release 3 vs 3 with poor netcode because it would be so annoying to deal with the lags.

the ffwiki if you search for her. That sprite is from the iOS game Record Keeper

Thank you very much for the answers. I just hope that there wouldn't be any cut characters this time but their emphasize on Dissadia being rebooted don't sound good at all for D12 characters.

3 vs 3 is a massive change. I wonder if this will leave Japan.. :p

Yep, it's a huge change but I hope that they would make it way better than last two games. I will keep my eyes on the news closely as I can but I wouldn't get hype until they announce a confirmation for console release, which wouldn't happens for long time or wouldn't happens at all.

sn00zer

"Do you guys think it will have up to 6 human players or will it be 3 humans vs the CPU?"

I would be very surprised if it weren't 6 human players. This style of game (team vs team combat) is extremely popular in Japanese arcades right now.

These usually make it to consoles correct?

"These usually make it to consoles correct?"

The Gundam games do. I don't think Dragon Ball Zenkai has had a direct port, but there's similar Dragon Ball games that have been released. Gunslinger Stratos just recently had an Alpha Test for a PC version.

TreIII

Huh, did not know how serious Japanese arcades are (the last thing I remember seeing is a table flipping game)... Thanks for the insight!

But then it's like, are they completely changing all the mechanics? Because let's pretend that Dissidia is perfectly balanced for a moment, stuff like the Bravery system is not only the basis of the game, it's also something that can make a match last anything from 20 seconds to 20 minutes in a more casual match. Something like that would be considered for an arcade game? Would they re-do the entire thing or just strip it completely?

Well, remember that they confirmed that this game is a "reboot". The safe presumption to make is that it being a reboot means that it's not only going to be a shift away from the original story, it's also going to be a shift away from the original games' mechanics, with the focus on 3 v. 3 being the most obvious hinting of that.

Obviously, we don't exactly what's in and out until we get more details. But I wouldn't be surprised if Brave is gone, simply because the "tug-of-war" it inspired likely wouldn't work in a setting where, again, the average match shouldn't last longer than 3 minutes.

These usually make it to consoles correct?

Usually, though whether or not they ever leave Japan is a different story altogether.

Even ignoring Verendus' confirmation, odds are pretty high it'll get a console port and be localized.

Well, remember that they confirmed that this game is a "reboot". The safe presumption to make is that it being a reboot means that it's not only going to be a shift away from the original story, it's also going to be a shift away from the original games' mechanics, with the focus on 3 v. 3 being the most obvious hinting of that.

Obviously, we don't exactly what's in and out until we get more details. But I wouldn't be surprised if Brave is gone, simply because the "tug-of-war" it inspired likely wouldn't work in a setting where, again, the average match shouldn't last longer than 3 minutes.

Should be interesting to see how that plays out, considering the returning cast shown off still seem to have retained some of their Brave and HP moves from the first game. I wonder how they'll be adapted to whatever new systems/mechanics that may be in place, assuming brave has been axed.

"These usually make it to consoles correct?"

The Gundam games do. I don't think Dragon Ball Zenkai has had a direct port, but there's similar Dragon Ball games that have been released. Gunslinger Stratos just recently had an Alpha Test for a PC version.

Gunslinger did? Or do you mean Rise of the Incarnates? which is kinda the same thing lol, well they are all just Gundam Vs. style anyway.

Zomba13

Prishe better be in. Can't cut the best FFXI character.

I hope we get Gaius or Nael as a FFXIV villain, if they give XIV a villain. XI didn't get one in dewydecimalwhatsit.

TreIII

Should be interesting to see how that plays out, considering the returning cast shown off still seem to have retained some of their Brave and HP moves from the first game. I wonder how they'll be adapted to whatever new systems/mechanics that may be in place, assuming brave has been axed.

If ByKing is behind it? I'd expect some twist on the "Team Life Gauge" that Gundam and Gunslinger uses. Maybe it'll even employ "Crystals" into the mix, somehow, since I can't imagine that key graphic from that teaser above having a Crystal there and it NOT playing a factor.

Ahnez

I wonder how the battle system will be..

Even going for a more "traditional" system, its still in an open 3D area.. And against 3 other characters, some changes to the lock-on logic would be necessary.. maybe :p

This will be interesting

Takao

Banned
What if Byking is too busy with additional Gunslinger Stratos stuff, and S-E got CC2 instead for their ability to shit out graphically impressive games instead! After all, the producer of the old Dissidia games did work with them recently on the FFVII G-Bike mobile game!

I don't want this to happen. :(

that's a fast way to kill my interest in this

-Ryn

Banned
Would the combos and move sets Dissidia has work if they got rid of bravery? Not sure how well they'd work with a traditional health system.

Yeah... I don't really need all the systems to come back, I just don't want them going "well, it's a typical arena fighter now, that's easier to make it competitive."

I guess I have to wait until April then =X

Im probably one of the few that would want Ramza, Delita or the antagonist of FFT
Ultima
In dissidia :(
I'd like to see FFT, but I doubt anything beyond mainline titles will make it to the game (and if there is, it'll probably be Type-0)...

TreIII

Quite a few of us would love FFT representation actually. I've been futilely pushing for Ramza to be included in Dissidia for awhile.

I say it's still worth pushing. FFT and CC both got representation in Theathrythm, after all. There's still hope!

I would love to see some of the spin-off games get represented, but this is nothing like Theatrhythm, so I don't want to push for anything in particular. Being able to include each character in Theatrhythm is much easier than making up a moveset of each character in Dissidia, don't expect too much.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It'd be awesome if the entire Theathrythm cast was in this game , but yeah.

The main series alone have plenty of great characters and move-sets to choose from. I rather they stick with those.

That would be nice but Theathrythm characters were very simple to make and you don't really need to make complete movesets of them so that's why they have more characters. I'm pretty sure that you already know that anyway.

I must emphasized that It would be nice to see some of those characters become playable in FF:D Arcade.

Edited: beaten. Serve me right since I typed up the response and got distracted for awhile.

Victrix

*beard*
Unreal. I was going to make a thread not three days ago complaining about the lack of a new Dissidia.

Now I'm not sure how I feel :|

TreIII

Yeah. Vivi's pretty great. They should definitely get him in there.

Red XIII would be a cool addition but I don't expect that at all.

If nothing else, RedXIII would be certainly an interesting character to pick from a visual stand-point. After all, in combat games like this, a character being a quadruped wouldn't be a problem at all.

Maybe he and Vincent could be among the first considered for the expansion.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
before the revel, the Dissidia website had FF sprites popping up. In the end it looked like this:
7jVDrcS.jpg

Oh god no, tell me monsters are not playable because I ate everygame in which boring characters are playable (such as monsters in XIII-2). A fightning game with generic mobs instead of actual characters with background and story... rgh...

Oh god no, tell me monsters are not playable because I ate everygame in which boring characters are playable (such as monsters in XIII-2). A fightning game with generic mobs instead of actual characters with background and story... rgh...

I think you're reading way too far into the teaser image.

Permanently A

This made me itch to play Dissidia 012 again, and oh my god I'm so bad at this game.

How do I into Jecht's combos? I can't believe they don't give you an indication of when to press the buttons or anything. Hell I didn't even know Jecht had combos until randomly seeing a youtube video about it.

Squire

Banned
I would love to see some of the spin-off games get represented, but this is nothing like Theatrhythm, so I don't want to push for anything in particular. Being able to include each character in Theatrhythm is much easier than making up a moveset of each character in Dissidia, don't expect too much.

Don't exoect too much? It's a fighting game. They're difficult to make in every form they come in. I do expect them to put some effort in.

Top Bottom