• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia Final Fantasy ARCADE ANNOUNCED! [Update: Trailer + Info]

Anyone else replaying the two games out of sheer hype?

Yep.

So has Square made any comments at all about a console port yet? Even a "we'll see"?

Sadly no, but I find it interesting that the teaser Trailer is one of the few videos that SE doesn't have comments disabled.

And several of sites that reported on this have a lot of hype going on in the comments. Even mods had to come in. haha

-Ryn

Banned
There's no possible way that'll happen. But if the lore entries return, I hope they come up with an even more hilarious set of FFI retcons.
lol

Is it weird that I thought the actual story was kinda cool?
And at times a little... emotional?
The music was brilliant at the least!

Along with showing the summons in 3D, unique enemies would massively improve the game. Even though they'd take a significantly higher resource investment compared to their Theatrythm equivalents, hopefully they see the value in working on them. Maybe a few could be reused as summons, or function as playable characters in a separate monster training mode for the console release?
Seeing that there's gonna be actual summon boss fights in FFXV... I'm kinda curious what they'll do with Dissidia...

Probably just CG cutscenes

B97kD8TCUAElxQg.png:orig

A New Cycle of Retcons
We ended the cycle!!

Anyone else replaying the two games out of sheer hype?
Feral Chaos...
ugh

Pejo

Well I'm really late to this announcement, and just watched the trailer.

On one hand, hurray for a new Dissidia!

On the other hand, they actually made the characters look worse than the PSP versions. I really hate that when SE gets fancy with their graphics, all of the characters get this androgynous look. Like they're all the same frail feminine body with different wigs and outfits. Duodecim was, in my opinion, the best versions of each of the characters included. They kinda had that kingdom hearts stylish vibe. Still have yet to see my man Jecht though, so I"ll just keep watching.

batbeg

Playing Duodecim for the first time ever on my PSTV right now. This game is... well, I kind of remember why the demo for the first put me off ever buying them. But I wanted to enjoy the fanservice so I'm trying to enjoy it, but I hope this new Arcade version isn't too similar to what we already had.

-Ryn

Banned
Well I'm really late to this announcement, and just watched the trailer.

On one hand, hurray for a new Dissidia!

On the other hand, they actually made the characters look worse than the PSP versions. I really hate that when SE gets fancy with their graphics, all of the characters get this androgynous look. Like they're all the same frail feminine body with different wigs and outfits. Duodecim was, in my opinion, the best versions of each of the characters included. They kinda had that kingdom hearts stylish vibe. Still have yet to see my man Jecht though, so I"ll just keep watching.
Based off the 2 dudes we've seen so far, I'd say they've made Cloud look (a bit) more masculine than his Dissidia CG iteration. WoL's just ridiculous in comparison though lol

Correction: 3 dudes

Official screenshots
Soooooo gooooooood

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Official screenshots

image4r2kr8.jpg

image5l3j9w.jpg

image6zvjd4.jpg

image372k36.jpg

image26qj5a.jpg

image1wxkel.jpg

Better grass than FFXV confirmed!

Lol.

Amazing btw. I can't wait for the official PS4 announcement.
Btw a question about ARCADEs in Japan... are they all connected to the internet nowdays and matches happen from all around the country? Or is it like in 90s where you play just against people in the same arena?

Nephtes

Late to the thread...
Is it just me or does the environment look like it was exported directly from FFXIV with some added destructability?

LuuKyK

Late to the thread...
Is it just me or does the environment look like it was exported directly from FFXIV with some added destructability?

That was my impression from the start too but IIRC Kagari said its probably UE4. I dont think there is any confirmation though.

-Ryn

Banned
I wonder how much destructibility might play into the game. The area in the trees for instance looks like it could be destructible. Clear away the forest with one huge attack or something. Battle damaged armor? Context sensitive environment stuff
probably not
?

I wonder how much destructibility might play into the game. The area in the trees for instance looks like it could be destructible. Clear away the forest with one huge attack or something. Battle damaged armor? Context sensitive environment stuff
probably not
?

Interestingly, Warrior of Light's helmet has a broken horn in one of the renders, but not in the screenshots above:

B99F7FSCQAA2-DV.jpg

TreIII

Btw a question about ARCADEs in Japan... are they all connected to the internet nowdays and matches happen from all around the country? Or is it like in 90s where you play just against people in the same arena?

Barring the few legacy machines that may be hanging around, Japanese arcades are all networked, now. Taito (which Square Enix owns) even has their own NESiCA platform which makes it easier for digital distribution of the games.

the FFWIKI entry for this game has this so far for the staff:

Executive Producer
Shinji Hashimoto

Battle Supervisor
Hiroyuki Ito

Composer
Takeharu Ishimoto
I only know that the composer is true. Can anyone verify?

Look who's back if true. haha

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The character models look amazing, but is anyone else worried about the hyper realistic backgrounds shown so far? I was hoping for more trippy environments like in the previous Dissidias, or new stuff like fighting in Balamb Garden or Luxerion. This looks like they placed the characters in another unrelated game.

probably not
?

The PSP Dissidia games had arenas with destructible parts. The crystals in FF9's Crystal World, The Towers in FF3's World of Darkness, etc.

The character models look amazing, but is anyone else worried about the hyper realistic backgrounds shown so far? I was hoping for more trippy environments like in the previous Dissidias, or new stuff like fighting in Balamb Garden or Luxerion. This looks like they placed the characters in another unrelated game.

This is the places where the original DIssida ended and is from one of the original cutscenes in the original Final Fantasy. They're most likely saving all the crazy stages for more character reveals.

-Ryn

Banned
Interestingly, Warrior of Light's helmet has a broken horn in one of the renders, but not in the screenshots above:
Yeah I'm really curious about that.

It looks like he's been through a hell of a battle (which is part of why I'm hoping against hope for a decent story and not just fighting). I actually really enjoyed WoL's characterization and story throughout Duodecim. His last stand with Cosmos for instance was a great character moment
though my favorite is still Cloud ;)

Given that we've only seen one enviornment so far and it's from the ending of Dissidia as well as the beginning of FF I'd say there's not much to worry about yet in that regard.

The PSP Dissidia games had arenas with destructible parts. The crystals in FF9's Crystal World, The Towers in FF3's World of Darkness, etc.
Chaos Shrine's destructible ceiling was one of my favorites. Perfect for badass finishing moves or chases.

lol

Such an awesome moment

Aru

Well the trailer's music definitely sound like Ishimoto, I'm not surprised here. The guy is awesome.

But Ito for the battle system? We can expect something great, there.

EDIT: I mistook Ito for the battle planner of FFX/FFXIII.
Oh well, can't be bad either.

Top Bottom