• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divekick |OT| My sneakers are ready

Tizoc

JoLLWf6.png

An OT by Tizoc and A Sentient Keyboard

Platform: Playstation Vita, Playstation 3 and Steam
Developer: One True Game Studios and Iron Galaxy Studios
Players: 1-2 players
Release date: 20th August 2013
Price:
$9.99/£7.99/€9.99 on PSN (PSN version is Cross-buy, $8 for US PS Plus members until 26/27 Aug.)
$9.99, $18.99 2 pack on Steam​

w39BjqY.png

• 13 unique characters, each with their own story mode.
  • Local versus on all platforms, including local versus on a single PS Vita.
  • GGPO-powered online versus, both ranked and unranked.

8CZsf4O.png

Divekick is fighting game that started its life as a parody on the effectiveness of divekicks in fighting games. However, the concept proved to be more enjoyable than its joke game origins would have you expect. It was decided to develop the concept into a full-fledged fighting game, and now, the finished product has been released on the PS3, the Vita, and Steam.

BDJrhFz.png

The main goal of the game is to win a set of rounds with your character via dive kicking. Majority of the characters have their own unique dive kick properties.

There are only 2 buttons and they can be mapped to any button on your controller, keyboard or stick; Dive and Kick. Dive will make your character Jump, Kick will make them Attack with their dive kick while in the air.
You can also press Kick while on the ground to perform a unique action or evasive maneuver based on the character you are playing with.

5NYliiU.png

System:
Kick Meter: A meter at the bottom of the screen that fills up as you Kick. You can spend this meter to perform a character’s special move by pressing both buttons either on the ground or in the air. Alternatively, you can try to fill up their bar entirely to activate Kick Factor, which dramatically increases their speed and other, character-specific factors.

Head shots: Defeating an opponent by striking them at their head will put them in a ‘Concussed’ state. While having a Concussion the character will have reduced speed and jump height for a few seconds at the start of the next round. Furthermore, their KF meter will not fill up. Concussion does not stack up, but winning a round will remove this state.

Gems: There are 4 types of Gems in the game
Dive Gem: Offers 10% increase in Jump speed
Kick Gem: Offers 10% increase in Divekicking speed
Style Gem: KF meter fills up faster
YOLO Gem: 30% increase in Jump & Divekicking speeds as well as KF meter gain, but also gives the opponent 4 of the 5 rounds he needs to win right from the star​

Hold the line: The game’s tie breaker mechanic. During the final seconds of the last round a red line will appear on-screen, and the character closest to the line will be declared the winner. In case BOTH characters are equally close to it…
the God of Divekicking will stomp on both characters

Fraud Detection: A message that appears when a player loses 4 rounds in a row. If the player loses the 5th round as well, they will be declared a Fraud.

Choke Detection: If a player wins 4 Rounds in a row, but then loses the next 4, a ‘Choke Detection Warning‘ message will appear on-screen.

Staged match: If 2 consecutive rounds end in Double KO, the game will declare that the match is Staged.​

eYiCJRu.png

SEREKTO YO KARAKTAH!

Dive & Kick: Two brothers who were raised in West Philadelphia. They got into a fight, and their mom sent them to live with Uncle Sensei in Bel Air, and train under him.
They are based off Yang and Yun respectively, with Kick having Will Smith references.

Mr. N: A Divekicker who once rigged a bracket in a tournament, resulting in a mass disqualification of all the players, the cancellation of the tournament, and the end of Uncle Sensei's Divekicking career. He is notorious for his shady dealings in tournaments and is often seen with his best friend, star Divekicker Dustin Weinburger. He is constantly on the run from the mob as he owes them money.
He is based on Rufus from Street Fighter IV and this guy.

Redacted: A wolverine skunk-bear that drank mutagen toxic waste which caused her to mutate into a larger form. She currently resides in Bel Air with her 3 children.
Her dive kick resembles Wolverine’s from UMvC3.

Kung Pao: A Divekicking champion from the dimension of Downworld who was part of a rebellion against her stepfather, Theodore Khan and his army of color coded ninja thugs. Having landed in the game's dimension due to kicking a hole in the fabric of the universe, she seeks to return to her own world.
She is a parody of Kung Lao, and has a ChunLi color pallete.

Dr. Victoria Shoals: A podiatrist who researches a foot infection found in Divekickers called Ped Urino, or "Foot Dive". After she contracts the disease on her face, she dons a mask and metal boots to enter Divekicking competitions in an effort to find a cure.
She is a parody of Doctor Doom from UMvC3. Dr. Shoals’ initial dive kick is very shallow, but if you press Kick again while in the air, she’ll cancel it into a steep dive kick.

Uncle Sensei: Becoming interested in Divekicking at a young age, he opened his own dojo and entered his first tournament upon returning from the Invasion of Grenada. Despite expanding the sport's popularity with a 10-year win streak, he was forced into retirement after Mr. N rigged the brackets of a tournament he was attending, leaving him bankrupt. He now spends his days trying to earn what he can training Divekicking students at his Dojo, and doing his best to take care of his nephews.
His name really is Uncle Sensei; it’s in his driver’s license.

Alex Jefaily: Jefailey runs a large and well known series of Divekick tournaments called JEO (Jefailey Effort Orlando). He likes to enter and compete at his own events and views himself as his greatest promotional asset.
The character is based on Alex Jebailey, and every time he wins a round, his head grows bigger, making the risk of a Head shot against him higher.

The Baz: Born on a mountain under a blood red moon, is so awesome, he defecates lightning. He has been rejected from every fighting league on the planet, but manages to enter the Divekick tournament due to their low standards. He also tracks down Mr. N for the mob as a bounty hunter.
He is based on a rejected character design for Street Fighter II, and his dive kick resembles Zero’s Raikousen, and you can even determine which direction he will fly by holding Kick.

Markman: Inventor of the ‘Kickbox’ which gives its users more control over their divekicking. He enters Divekicking tournaments to promote it.
Based on Mark "MarkMan" Julio, pressing Kick on the ground will have him search for pieces of the Kickbox. If he gets all pieces, he will be able to perform a ‘Upkick’, which can then be canceled into a Divekick, then an Upkick, then a Divekick, etc. (until he runs out of meter)

Stream: A Stream Monster who enters Divekicking tournaments to annoy and Troll the participants.
His dive kick resembles’ Dhalsim’s, and his design is based off Capcom’s Firebrand.

Codename: S-Kill: The leader of an evil organization hell bent on "rebalancing" the world in the hopes of repackaging and re-selling it anew. He decides to enter the Divekicking tournament to personally see to it that it is rebalanced.
He is the game’s final boss and is based off Seth from Street Fighter IV.

Kenny: A Divekicker who died after a match against Dustin Weinburger. He earned a 2nd chance on Earth after winning 5 consecutive Divekick tournaments in Heaven from the god of Divekicking. He watched many divekicking matches during his time in Heaven and learned to imitate their fighting styles.
Kenny functions as the ‘Mokujin’ of the game, changing his style round.

0w1L6Js.png

EVO 2013 Top 8 @ 13:46:00
Art pack featuring some sprite rips and the background stages of the game
Hype week with Divekick by Maximillian Part 1 & Part 2

koZBe4v.png

Official website
Divetips: Divekick Strategies From EVO’s Top 3
Shoryuken Divekick forum
Shoryuken Kick combo thread
Markman tips and tricks

d4DNVxS.png

Neol

Let the games begin.

Hopefully now this game gets more publicity and we can start seeing more tourney's from it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can't wait for this. I don't know if I want it on PSN or Steam, though... Hmmmm....

I have a Vita, so I guess I should go PSN, huh? It'll be on sale on Steam this Christmas anyway, right?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
oh wait. so there's more to this game than just jumping and divekicking? i had no idea there were other maneuvers and strategies.

intriguing.

joeblow

The concept is so weirdly basic that I have to give it a go. It's even less complicated than Yie Ar Kung Fu from back in the day.

Tizoc

Can't wait for this. I don't know if I want it on PSN or Steam, though... Hmmmm....

I have a Vita, so I guess I should go PSN, huh? It'll be on sale on Steam this Christmas anyway, right?

If you're plus you get it for $8, if you want to further support the devs, you could always gift it via Steam.

RS4-

Imagine if it had triple crossbuy, I'd be all over it. As it stands, steam it is.

Where is the demo.

krpiper

Looking forward to it.

Do you guys think it would be worth double dipping for the online play? As PS3 would be fun for local multi player, but I have to assume that most of the action online would be on Steam? or am I incorrect in that thought process

My ancient PC is my only shot at playing Divekick, so let's hope it can run it. Should be up on steam in ~20 hours, and god damnit if I'm not excited.

EDIT: For those questioning the depth of the game, here's some stuff we wrote but decided not to put in the OT.

BDJrhFz.png

Divekick is a game played with two buttons and two buttons only; no d-pads or sticks are used at all. These buttons are the titular Dive and Kick buttons, and can be mapped to any two buttons on your controller, Vita or keyboard (or Rock Band drumkit. Or Donkey Kong bongos.)

The Dive button has you jump straight up, and the Kick button makes you jump backwards. Now, here in the air is where shit gets serious: pressing the Kick button will make you fly feet-first diagonally forwards, in what is colloquially known as a divekick.

Connecting with these divekicks, while dodging those of your opponent, is your ultimate goal in a match of Divekick. A single hit will take down the opponent instantly and win you the round. Matches are played best of 9, but rounds are quick and frantic and have a time limit of 20 seconds, so a match will never take long. Since life or death in Divekick is an all-or-nothing deal, there is no concept of a 'lifelead' to settle time-outs. Instead, if the timer runs out, the player closest to the center of the stage wins the round. Oh, and try not to get hit in the head; it drains your meter and makes you dizzy for a brief period in the next round, decreasing your overall effectiveness.

5NYliiU.png

You'd think that with only one attack, character differences would be minimal. However, you would be mistaken; the divekicks among the 13-head cast have some vastly different properties. For example, Dr. Shoals starts with a very shallow divekick, but can press Kick again mid-flight to cancel into a very steep one. The Baz can hold Kick to hover in the air and choose his angle Yoshi's Island-style by releasing it at the right time. Plus, he has no hitbox on his divekick, but instead leaves a deadly trail of lightning. Uncle Sensei has two combat stances he switches between after each jump, each with it's own Divekick properties. Stream can even actively steer the trajectory of his divekick by pressing Dive and Kick to curve up and down, respectively.

And that's not all. All characters earn meter by divekicking, and can then spend their meter on one of their two special moves. These are activated by pressing both buttons simultaniously either on the ground or in the air. Alternatively, you can try to fill up their bar entirely to activate Kickfactor, which dramatically increases their speed and other, character-specific factors.

The special moves is where Divekick gets really crazy. For example, Kung Poa's ground special is to open a portal at her current location, and her air special is to create a second one to jump through, and come out of the first one to surprise the opponent. Uncle Sensei's air special is to discretely change stances in mid-air, allowing for some Gen-style mixups. The MarkMan's ground special is to search for fightstick parts, not unlike Phoenix Wright in UmvC3, and throw out various stage hazards like oil or springs. Should he get all three parts of the Kickbox, he earns the forbidden ability to divekick upwards.

Aside from those techniques, there is also a bit of customization to add another layer of depth. Before a match, players get to choose one of four gems. These gems give a 10% boost to either divekick speed, jump height or meter build speed. For daredevils, there's the yolo gem that boosts all the above attributes by 30%, but also gives the opponent 4 of the 5 rounds he needs to win right from the start. Don't worry, none of these gems are pre-order bonuses or DLC.

Drencrom

YOLO Gem: 30% increase in Jump & Divekicking speeds as well as KF meter gain, but also gives the opponent 4 of the 5 rounds he needs to win right from the start

Choke Detection: If a player wins 4 Rounds in a row, but then loses the next 4, a ‘Choke Detection Warning‘ message will appear on-screen.
lol

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I wonder what hate mail for this game is going to look like.

"OMG YOU DO THE SAME MOVE OVER AND OVER"

"Uhh, that's kinda the point"

Can't wait. Pretty much all of my friends enjoy fighting games but some are good at them and some aren't. This will be the perfect middle ground. I hope it does well so we get dlc or a sequel with Daigo, Justin, Spooky, ect.

Settin

The concept is so weirdly basic that I have to give it a go. It's even less complicated than Yie Ar Kung Fu from back in the day.

This already has a metagame, including hitting unbound buttons to fake people out in local multiplayer.

Mupod

I need to get a set of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat bongos to mod into a controller for this game. Hell they're already labelled appropriately.

Camjo-Z

For those questioning the depth of the game, here's some stuff we wrote but decided not to put in the OT.

I'm glad you posted it anyways, I was still having some doubts but reading about all the characters' differences has definitely sold me. Stream and Markman sound pretty hilarious. Hopefully PSN decides to update at a reasonable time tomorrow!

Zomba13

Dunno whether to get this on steam on PS3/Vita. I guess PS3 would be better value and portable Divekick would be awesome and the PS+ discount would make it cheaper than Steam right?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh S-Kill is the final boss? That explains why he looks so broken.
I know he's not actually broken, but I just know his teleporting shit is going to piss me off for quite a while before I figure out how to deal with it.

vulva

I'm team Shoals for sure. I managed to beat some pretty decent guy in EVO pools with her. Also she's hot

EDIT: Sign me up for the tournament. Whichever console, I'm in to double dip

ScOULaris

Hell yes. Great job on the OP!

I will be double-dipping on the PS3 and Steam versions. I have been pumped for this game ever since its initial reveal as a joke game.

I've thought about it some more and I've decided that I'm definitely going with Markman as my character. This wait for tomorrow is gonna be painful.

kai3345

Banned
This game's mindgames start as early as the character select screen. It's great. I got the game early as a result of the EVO stream and its been nice because it's always the same 5 or 6 other people searching for matches in ranked. Eventually you end up recognizing their strategies, and their character preferences. I was playing against one dude all day on Saturday and kept getting rocked by his Markman. I was playing Redacted mostly, but one match I decided to run down the character select timer and switch to Shoals at the last moment. I did this about three times against this dude (winning every time) before he finally picked up on it. Now whenever I play that guy we always go through a bunch of different psych-outs in the character select screen, keeping me constantly on my toes.

Top Bottom