• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ HERO 2 |OT| Bobby Says Knock You Out

EYEL1NER

The thought of no more dlc or no new game is pretty depressing.
I still love you, DJ Hero!!!

If only more people had given you a chance.

tsigo

That's a shame.

I didn't play DJ Hero (1 or 2) until late last year, based largely on the abomination that Activision made of the "Hero" name. But the core gameplay mechanics are awesome. The first game suffers from shoe-horned Guitar Hero bullshit (why are you showing me a guitar track when I'm playing single player?) but 2 really gets things right with a few exceptions, namely vocals and competitive online.

I would've loved to see what they did with a third.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
tsigo said:
I didn't play DJ Hero (1 or 2) until late last year, based largely on the abomination that Activision made of the "Hero" name.
This is exactly what many of us were lamenting around the release of the first title. :(

Dartastic

I HATE this game. My neck hurts SO BAD from all the neck bobbing I'm doing while playing this. WHAT THE FUCK. FUCK THIS SHIT. *goes back to play the Soulja Boy mix*

...RIP Freestyle. =(

Sai-kun

Banned
Dartastic said:
I HATE this game. My neck hurts SO BAD from all the neck bobbing I'm doing while playing this. WHAT THE FUCK. FUCK THIS SHIT. *goes back to play the Soulja Boy mix*

...RIP Freestyle. =(

After playing a couple hours my hand hurts from all the spinning and pressing. It's so good. It's my favorite kind of pain, second only to my legs hurting from DDR.

tsigo

Neuromancer said:
I kind of want to buy all the DLC I skipped out on before, just to support FSG. Doubt it would make a difference though.

At this point I'd imagine all of that just goes directly to Activision now, so if anything you should not buy it.

DJ Hero is truly a gift, the quality of the music (In both games, mind you) is off the charts. It introduced me to a new and exciting style of music. It's like the hot foreign exchange girl that you want to hook up with but then their country demands their return, curse you Republic of Kotick!!

Via Eurogamer, the last of the DLC is out as of today:

The Pendulum Mix Pack, which contains three tracks by the Australian electronic rockers' new album Immersion, is available to download now.

The tracks are "Watercolour", "Set Me On Fire" and "Salt In The Wounds".

It costs 640 Microsoft Points from Xbox Live and $7.99 from the PlayStation Network. All tracks are released as downloadable singles for Wii for 300 Wii Points.

Xbox Live Marketplace (US) link

Sai-kun

Banned
Watercolour and Set Me On Fire are SUPER fun, and I totally recommend downloading this pack.

God, this game is so fucking amazing.

I have a question to all those out there who own the Party Bundle for the Wii. I am trying to buy this off ebay and the dude says he is hesitant to ship it because it is missing the "2 little thing with usb on it".

Is this a problem?
What is the item in question, and would I still be able to play without it?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because I am getting this for an absolute steal compared to retail and it is supposed to be a birthday gift for a friend, so I would really love to avoid giving him a bunk gift if at all possible. Thanks!

I'm sorry, i guess wifi was the wrong word for it, but, cant you just connect the controller like you do with regular wiimote controllers? isnt there some built in receiver for the wii?

ive been trying to research everywhere for a trace of a wii dj hero 2 dongle that i could possibly buy separate in case it doesn't come with it and can't find it anywhere.

I found this pic:

5dhik.jpg

and it seems to indicate that you don't need a dongle and just insert your wiimote into it like this:

VExdq.jpg

so I am wondering if you even require a dongle?
I suppose the wii version is different from the ps3 and xbox versions so i hope some people with experience with the wii version can help me out

Sorry if this is necrotically bumped.

Has anyone on PS3 had the game hitching/pausing during playback?

It doesn't happen very often but I've lost a few streaks due to it kicking in and had one hard crash (during the bloody 2nd DJ Battle with DJ Qbert!).

Anyway, game is awesome.

theshizzle said:
I'm sorry, i guess wifi was the wrong word for it, but, cant you just connect the controller like you do with regular wiimote controllers? isnt there some built in receiver for the wii?

ive been trying to research everywhere for a trace of a wii dj hero 2 dongle that i could possibly buy separate in case it doesn't come with it and can't find it anywhere.

I found this pic:

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/5dhik.jpg[/IMG]

and it seems to indicate that you don't need a dongle and just insert your wiimote into it like this:

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/VExdq.jpg[/IMG]

so I am wondering if you even require a dongle?
I suppose the wii version is different from the ps3 and xbox versions so i hope some people with experience with the wii version can help me out
There is no Wii USB dongle. You use the standard Wii remote and connect it to the Turntable like with Guitar Hero Guitars (and unlike Rockband Wii stuff). You only use USB for the microphone. Maybe he was using PS3 description text or I don't know.

MrPliskin

Banned
What he hell? I picked this up yesterday, and every time I quit the game (PS3) it locks up my system. Does this happen to anyone else? WTF? Serious issue that might prevent me from ever playing this game :\

DaBuddaDa

MrPliskin said:
What he hell? I picked this up yesterday, and every time I quit the game (PS3) it locks up my system. Does this happen to anyone else? WTF? Serious issue that might prevent me from ever playing this game :\
Wasn't this because your friends list is full? I know the Xbox 360 had that issue.

angelfly

DaBuddaDa said:
Wasn't this because your friends list is full? I know the Xbox 360 had that issue.
I've only got about 20 people on my friends list and it did it to me the first time (picked it up yesterday as well) but haven't had it happen since.

MrPliskin said:
I have no idea, sorry.

MrPliskin

Banned
Huh, I guess I'll just have to figure it out or deal with it :(

I'll play it a few more times and see how much it happens though.

Nelo Ice

Banned
hows the local multi for this?

was going to wait for the standalone game to drop(got the turntable+dj hero 1 for $20 altogether thanks to gs sale) but now im wondering if its worth getting the dj hero 2 bundle as well for local multi and i guess an extra turntable

Sai-kun

Banned
Hey guys, the turntable+game bundle is on sale for (i'm not sure how long) at GameStop for like 29.99. Just thought I'd let you guys know, since I know a couple of you were holding out :) It's a damn amazing deal.

tsigo

Nelo Ice said:

was going to wait for the standalone game to drop(got the turntable+dj hero 1 for $20 altogether thanks to gs sale) but now im wondering if its worth getting the dj hero 2 bundle as well for local multi and i guess an extra turntable

If you've got someone of similar skill to play against it's pretty good; good variety of game modes. Online is a fucking joke with no incentive to play a difficulty higher than medium and no penalty for quitting.

Nelo Ice said:

It's pretty neat, they have a bunch of multiplayer only mixes.

Nelo Ice

Banned
thanks for the responses maybe i'll go pick up the bundle now course im gonna hate if/when it drops to $20 in a few months ><

tsigo

This game's online would be so easy to fix, and I'm not even an amateur game designer, so who knows what the fuck they were thinking.

Problem: People quit early
Solution: Person who doesn't quit gets the win. I can't believe someone can implement competitive online in 2010 and not have this in.

Problem: No incentive to play harder difficulties in non-Star Battle.
Solution: For checkpoint-based modes (DJ Battle, Checkpoint, Power Deck(?)), add a percentage modifier based on difficulty. Expert gets the actual percentage hit. Hard gets the percentage hit minus 10%, Medium minus 20, Easy minus 30. An expert player who hits 90% beats a medium player hitting 100%.

Fixing Streak/Accumulator for difficulty is slightly harder. All I could come up with is to automatically bank the streak every, say, three checkpoints (rewind marks). The problem now is an easy/medium player could just FC the whole song and make it almost impossible for a hard/expert player, banking conservatively, to bank a high enough streak. How frequently the auto-bank occurs could change depending on difficulty similar to the percentage modifier.

damn that's nice

Man I got DJ Hero 2 not that long ago, and it really is the best rhythm game after DDR.

I don't know if it really makes you feel like your scratching records but it's just so much fun.

Too much rehashing with the tracklist though.

damn that's nice said:
Man I got DJ Hero 2 not that long ago, and it really is the best rhythm game after DDR.

I don't know if it really makes you feel like your scratching records but it's just so much fun.

Too much rehashing with the tracklist though.
First one was even worse in that regard.

And yeah I agree the online is kind of busted.

YoungHav

Banned
yo yo yo check it baby. Picked this up at gamestop for $30 brand new (?). Controller doesn't work for shit (all 4 lights just blink most of the time and it never links up with the ps3 system. First time I tried, it worked for 45min then I thought the batteries died. Tried any batteries I found and the shit only turned on every other day. Finally got brand new energizers. It worked, went to sleep mode and just blinks.

Finally popped in the copy I got from gamestop (for like $10 after some random coupons and such), and I gotta say, I'm sad that this game didn't get more love than it did. I'm really enjoying the mixes, and turntable and gameplay mechanics feel substantially different from what we've seen over and over again from RB/GH. As demonstrated by the fact that this OT only made it to 4 pages, I'd say the biggest problem for this game was not its quality, but the fact that the market was absolutely flooded with music games. Gamers just put up a mental block to the whole genre.

I bet that if had been released after lull in the constant barrage of RB/GH/random Wii music shovelware, it would've gone on to do much better. Or maybe I'm overestimating how much the majority of America (or the world) like this type of music. Too bad thanks to Kotick and co's incompetence, we'll never find out for sure.

For any GAFers that have the slightest inkling they might like this type of thing, I'd highly recommend picking it up. I believe tomorrow is the last day you can get the 360 or PS3 bundle for $30 new at Gamestop.

WEGGLES

unagisensei said:
Finally popped in the copy I got from gamestop (for like $10 after some random coupons and such), and I gotta say, I'm sad that this game didn't get more love than it did. I'm really enjoying the mixes, and turntable and gameplay mechanics feel substantially different from what we've seen over and over again from RB/GH. As demonstrated by the fact that this OT only made it to 4 pages, I'd say the biggest problem for this game was not its quality, but the fact that the market was absolutely flooded with music games. Gamers just put up a mental block to the whole genre.

I bet that if had been released after lull in the constant barrage of RB/GH/random Wii music shovelware, it would've gone on to do much better. Or maybe I'm overestimating how much the majority of America (or the world) like this type of music. Too bad thanks to Kotick and co's incompetence, we'll never find out for sure.

For any GAFers that have the slightest inkling they might like this type of thing, I'd highly recommend picking it up. I believe tomorrow is the last day you can get the 360 or PS3 bundle for $30 new at Gamestop.

I bought it for $30, really enjoyed it... and that's it. I played each mix a couple times and I sold it to a buddy, as I doubt I will ever play it again.

unagisensei said:

I'd say the fact that DJ hero 1 cost $125, and the turntable wasn't available to buy separately for way, waaaaaay too long had a lot to do with it also.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
WEGGLES said:
I bought it for $30, really enjoyed it... and that's it. I played each mix a couple times and I sold it to a buddy, as I doubt I will ever play it again.
That's how I felt too. It's a fun game and I enjoyed my time with both, but I see no incentive to go back and play it. This doesn't happen to me with Rock Band where I'll go back and play it constantly.

Sai-kun

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I saw there was a new dlc pack out, anyone pick it up?

i've got the points for it, but I haven't jumped in yet.

I reeaalllyyy wanna hear their remix of SOFI Needs a Ladder.

Top Bottom