• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Definitive Edition ($40, major rework) & Devil May Cry 4 (w/ Vergil) for XB1/PS4

Anteater

Signs point to Inafune for that detail.

During his last years at Capcom, Inafune used his position as Head of R&D/Global Head of Production to push his "westernization" ambitions, and DmC was likely a proponent of that.

Sven actually made a post about this when he was still at Capcom:

Sven said:
How does Capcom come the conclusion to "westernize" a series?

(recent examples: DMC, Lost Planet 3)

Both of those, and some of the prior (like Bionic Commando) were driven by Inafune... now departed. You'd have to ask him but as I recall, the logic was something along the lines of "doing the same thing is going to get us the same results (if we're lucky). Let's try something from a different perspective." In some cases, a Western one.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29769521/east-vs-west-how-does-this-work-sven&post_num=3#528984145

So, is Capcom just not releasing DMC:DE in Japan? Their official site only has a listing for DMC4:SE and Japanese sites like 4gamer, Dengeki and Famitsu are only listing it as well. If this is the case then i'd say it's pretty obvious which direction they're going in if a new DMC is in development.

So, is Capcom just not releasing DMC:DE in Japan? Their official site only has a listing for DMC4:SE and Japanese sites like 4gamer, Dengeki and Famitsu are only listing it as well. If this is the case then i'd say it's pretty obvious which direction they're going in if a new DMC is in development.

They probably are, but then again selling the "westernized" reboot to a market that ignores traditional western style games might not be on their minds. With Capcom, who knows.

In terms of Western Capcom stuff:

Bionic Commando: Both Rearmed and '09 were phenomenal. Absolutely two of my favorite games ever. I still get sad when I remember that Grin closed down. Rearmed 2 was really fun as well.

Dead Rising 2: Never played the original, only ever played Off the Record but I really loved it. Extremely fun game. I haven't played 3 since I don't have an Xbone, but I'll try it out whenever I get one. Heard good things.

Dark Void: Demo was possibly one of the worst things I've played last gen. Story seemed awful, and generic Nolan North voice for the MC killed it for me. Heard bad things about the full game as well.

Lost Planet 3: Never played, but heard good things about the story. But I think if they were gonna continue the series, they should've stuck with the Japanese team.

DmC: The demo, the impressions, the videos, the interviews, literally everything screamed to me that I shouldn't waste my time on this shit. From the unsatisfying combat, to the unbelievably shit try-hard story and characters. I didn't even play the full game when it was free on plus. I might try out DmC: Possibly Maybe Playable This Time Around Edition when it's for cheap though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
dahbomb I just need you to pretty much confirm that they took out the pause between moves when it comes out and I'll buy this to give it another go.

I'm worried that this is yet another attempt for capcom to try get the fans to like DmC and say "see we told you! this is where the direction that the future of the franchise should go!"

This game seriously gets more love than arguably any other DMC in history

Yeah, and that kinda bugs me.

I mean, they may make into a passable or even a good game. But buying it will suggest to them I want DmC2...which I don't. I want DMC5.

You know the saddest thing about this?

The capcom game most deserving of a Defintive edition last generation is asuras wrath.

A complete edition, with all the DLC and reworked combat, running at 60FPS would be amazing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

The capcom game most deserving of a Defintive edition last generation is asuras wrath.

A complete edition, with all the DLC and reworked combat, running at 60FPS would be amazing.

I'd buy that since Asura was thoroughly enjoyable despite the combat not being too great.

Lernaean

Banned

I mean, they may make into a passable or even a good game. But buying it will suggest to them I want DmC2...which I don't. I want DMC5.

I agree with you, and the post you responded to, but we don't know anything about DMC4SE and how much love they put in it. For all we know it might be full of content as well.

And yeah, i want a DMC5 too.

For some reason, I like this news. It's kind of nice that they still give a shit about original Devil May Cry enough that they re-release DMC4. Also, DMC4 with Vergil...? Not sure how the fuck that'll work but I still want it.

Not a fan of the original DmC but it at least looks kind of cool. I just have to pretend that it's a different action series in my head - I don't know why they even called it DmC, because not many of the original fans like it much. (I said "not many", not "none" btw!)

e: Waitaminute, do you have to buy this DmC definitive whatever to get the DMC4 re-release? If so that's bullshit.

Since Capcom is strongly promoting their 6-year old game that they hated so much they nuked the entire franchise, I think even they know that only a few people want DmC2.

If DmC sold better (or atleast close to) what DMC4 sold, I think there might be a chance they make a sequel for the more recent game, but I don't see "we don't have enough money to make Street Fighter" Capcom greenlighting a sequel based purely on semi-positive critical responses.

Renekton

Since Capcom is strongly promoting their 6-year old game that they hated so much they nuked the entire franchise, I think even they know that only a few people want DmC2.

If DmC sold better (or atleast close to) what DMC4 sold, I think there might be a chance they make a sequel for the more recent game, but I don't see "we don't have enough money to make Street Fighter" Capcom greenlighting a sequel based purely on semi-positive critical responses.
Yup they need to gauge the response. Market does not function according to GAF intuition.

We don't know if millions ppl will pay for continuation of old DMC4, or if the series is done regardless of DMC/DmC.

Mask

I'll definitely get DMC4, maybe DmC later down the line, once Capcom gets the message that DMC5 is what people want.

Those changes to DmC are welcome though, and much needed, especially the Devil Trigger no longer suspending enemies in the air for the duration. Such a stupid idea, made continuing your combo harder because the aerial moves you had were pretty terrible.

I'm buying Devil May Cry 4 for Vergil alone
might get DmC aswell, I refuse to accept it as a real devil may cry game, but the game itself was pretty fun + I never got the dlc

loved the game, got if when it was free on ps plus and was surprised at how stylish and fun it was. the music is a high point. can't wait to play it again in HD and 60fps.

Nizz

I think I'll be getting this DmC:DE. I remember playing the demo for it back on PS3 and admittedly having some fun with it. Now that it's running at 60fps and in 1080p I think it's a no brainer for me.

I feel there is a void on PS4 as far as character action games go. There's no God of War (yet) and no Bayonetta or Devil May Cry (until this announcement). It's a genre I'd like to revisit since for the most part I play FPS games nowadays.

I think I'll be getting this DmC:DE. I remember playing the demo for it back on PS3 and admittedly having some fun with it. Now that it's running at 60fps and in 1080p I think it's a no brainer for me.

I feel there is a void on PS4 as far as character action games go. There's no God of War (yet) and no Bayonetta or Devil May Cry (until this announcement). It's a genre I'd like to revisit since for the most part I play FPS games nowadays.

I was actually trying to make a mental list of all the character action game series out there, maybe people can help me out

Devil May Cry
God of War
Metal Gear Rising
Ninja Gaiden
Bayonetta

And... I think that's it?

As for Devil May Cry 4, I actually did not enjoy it all that much. For as much shit as DmC's story and characters are, it was still far far better than DMC4's story and characters. Let's not forget how DMC4 ruined Lady by taking an earnest, well-designed character with a backstory and making her into...that. I also disliked all the backtracking nonsense.

lol who plays this series for the stories? they're all shit.

at the end of the day nero's campaign alone is better than anything ninja theory can accomplish play-wise.

Eolz

I was actually trying to make a mental list of all the character action game series out there, maybe people can help me out

Devil May Cry
God of War
Metal Gear Rising
Ninja Gaiden
Bayonetta

And... I think that's it?

Well, if you count MGR, do W101 and God Hand count? Does Dante's inferno and Splatterhouse count (or do you only limit your self to good ones?) , or Oneechanbara, Killer is Dead, No More Heroes, Lollipop chainsaw, etc.
I don't like the term "character action". It's just a 3D BTA.

Ferr986

I would argue that its Dragon Dogma. Game didnt even ran at 30 fps a lot of time, and missed some basic stuff like weather

Well, if you count MGR, do W101 and God Hand count? Does Dante's inferno and Splatterhouse count (or do you only limit your self to good ones?) , or Oneechanbara, Killer is Dead, No More Heroes, Lollipop chainsaw, etc.
I don't like the term "character action". It's just a 3D BTA.

Castlevania Curse of the Darkness.

JimiNutz

Banned
Never played a Devil May Cry game and not really played any third person action games.
Would DMC be a good game for a complete newbie to the genre to start?

I've tried Ninja Gaiden in the past and found it a bit too unforgiving but also tried God of War and found that too easy to just button mash (which got boring).

Is DMC a nice mix between the two?

Sephzilla

Never played a Devil May Cry game and not really played any third person action games.

I've tried Ninja Gaiden in the past and found it a bit too unforgiving but also tried God of War and found that too easy to just button mash (which got boring).

DmC might not be a terrible entry point for a complete newb because, to be honest, that game is a bit more simplistic and it's also a pretty easy game in my opinion.

Lernaean

Banned

DmC might not be a terrible entry point for a complete newb because, to be honest, that game is a bit more simplistic and it's also a pretty easy game in my opinion.

What Seph said. DmC is a lot more open for experimentation compared GoW, but also easy enough to allow you to learn on it. With the added modes it can actually turn into a nice entry level game in the series. DMC3/4 though are the real beasts when it comes to combat depth.

JimiNutz

Banned

That's what I was thinking.
Is it a game that you can get away with button mashing? Although I'd welcome a more simplistic game I do not want one where you can just mindlessly button mash through.

OSHAN

Is it a game that you can get away with button mashing? Although I'd welcome a more simplistic game I do not want one where you can just mindlessly button mash through.

You can beat the game on normal if you mash, as long as you remember to be defensive every now and again.

Lernaean

Banned

Imo, while it's easy to downplay DmC as an entry, i think that most of these games can be finished with some button mashing, it's just that the better ones unlock a whole new genre of gameplay once you play them properly.
Now about DmC, it's the shallower of the series, and indeed can be dealt with if you button mash, but, it also has the ability to play 'stylishly', although it is easier to do so than previous entries, and also rewards you by looking pretty good when played properly.

For your information, DMC4 is a game i wouldn't call hard, but it requires you to learn it good enough to go through it, and what a coincidence, a SE of it is being released this Summer :p

Dahbomb

This new edition has quite a few modifiers to make it harder than normal. It's not quite the button masher as some other action games though.

1b988f82ca.png

I lol'd

BadWolf

Wait, this is getting a Japenese dub, too? The original was English only, if memory serves. This is good... this is gooood! English was good, too, but this means they're doing more than expected (aside from Vergil which is above and beyond).

Japanese dubs seem to be thing for Capcom now with remasters, they did the same thing with REmake recently iirc.

Wouldn't look to it as evidence for more work being done on DMC4SE than expected.

This new edition has quite a few modifiers to make it harder than normal. It's not quite the button masher as some other action games though.

Just curious, Dahbomb: which moves/weapons from DmC would you like to see used or imitated in the DMC-proper series?

For me it's gotta be Ricoshot, Kablooey, and Aquila. (And the better-differentiated angel/demon pull).

Aquila's one of the neater semi-ranged/crowd-control weapons in the series - not quite up there with Nevan but absolutely in the same category, and it's definitely possessed of some extremely cool and unique attributes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Japanese dubs seem to be thing for Capcom now with remasters, they did the same thing with REmake recently iirc.

Wouldn't look to it as evidence for more work being done on DMC4SE than expected.

I had forgotten about the REmake VAs. The only other thing they added to REmake HD was the BSAA costumes, I think?

Hexa

lol who plays this series for the stories? they're all shit.

at the end of the day nero's campaign alone is better than anything ninja theory can accomplish play-wise.

I do kind of. :p
Not as much that story though as the characters. I don't even remember the plot of any of the DMC games, but I remember lots of instances of Dante, Nero, and Vergil being awesome. Which I guess fits into the plot so that's pretty important to me.

Dahbomb

Just curious, Dahbomb: which moves/weapons from DmC would you like to see used or imitated in the DMC-proper series?

For me it's gotta be Ricoshot, Kablooey, and Aquila. (And the better-differentiated angel/demon pull).

Aquila's one of the neater semi-ranged/crowd-control weapons in the series - not quite up there with Nevan but absolutely in the same category, and it's definitely possessed of some extremely cool and unique attributes.
All those plus the newer Vergil moves in DmC.

I like Osiris too even though it uses moves from other weapons. I always wanted a true Scythe weapon for a DMC game.

Vergil DmC's moveset is fantastic and definitely on par with DMC3... Probably even better. He's probably the most agile character in the entire series. First time playing him on Turbo Mode was pure bliss. If they gave him a few more options for ranged combat he'd be amazing.

Honestly if they slapped him as is in 3 or 4 people would appreciate him a lot more.

Top Bottom