• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Definitive Edition ($40, major rework) & Devil May Cry 4 (w/ Vergil) for XB1/PS4

All those plus the newer Vergil moves in DmC.

I like Osiris too even though it uses moves from other weapons. I always wanted a true Scythe weapon for a DMC game.

Yeah, the Vergil moves are quite cool. [Nevan's totally a scythe, though! :p]

Something I'd find really cool to add if the series were to retain its focus on launching/juggling/aerial combo chaining and crowd control that DmC focused so heavily on, by the way, would be ways for enemies to fill out their own aerial movesets. I don't mind the basic concept of the game focusing more and more on juggling and aerial combat, but the reason those things worked well when they were more challenging to do was because the majority of enemies are basically helpless when they're airborne. I'd love it if an enemy you knocked into the air could counter you with a Killer Bee-esque move, for example, or break out of your midair combo and start hitting you back *before* descending to the ground.

If there's a way forward for greater advancement of the series, I think it's less about additions to the playable-character moveset (which has been maturing quite reliably) and more about enhancing the way enemies work. I think giving them their own set of aerial moves could potentially be a great focus for DMD-exclusive enemy moveset stuff as well - removing juggling as a stun-based crutch (by making certain enemies punish you for it, or at least giving them reliable countermoves for it) would be really awesome and force you to seriously think on your toes, and I personally find that more fun than just making it more difficult to get enemies into the air.

I understand the importance of juggling to the combo video scene, but that's why enemy behavior would still need to be predictable - it'd look even more stylish if, for example, a certain enemy counters your juggle move by teleporting to right behind your head, so in the same combo as the launch you could also ready your counterattack for what you know they're going to do and make sure that they teleport right into the middle of your next move.

cheesekao

Yeah, the Vergil moves are quite cool. [Nevan's totally a scythe, though! :p]

Something I'd find really cool to add if the series were to retain its focus on launching/juggling/aerial combo chaining and crowd control that DmC focused so heavily on, by the way, would be ways for enemies to fill out their own aerial movesets. I don't mind the basic concept of the game focusing more and more on juggling and aerial combat, but the reason those things worked well when they were more challenging to do was because the majority of enemies are basically helpless when they're airborne. I'd love it if an enemy you knocked into the air could counter you with a Killer Bee-esque move, for example, or break out of your midair combo and start hitting you back *before* descending to the ground.

If there's a way forward for greater advancement of the series, I think it's less about additions to the playable-character moveset (which has been maturing quite reliably) and more about enhancing the way enemies work. I think giving them their own set of aerial moves could potentially be a great focus for DMD-exclusive enemy moveset stuff as well - removing juggling as a stun-based crutch (by making certain enemies punish you for it, or at least giving them reliable countermoves for it) would be really awesome and force you to seriously think on your toes, and I personally find that more fun than just making it more difficult to get enemies into the air.
The dreamrunners in DmC are sort of like what you mentioned. They can't be infinitely juggled and will counter you when you hit it so many times.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I understand the importance of juggling to the combo video scene, but that's why enemy behavior would still need to be predictable - it'd look even more stylish if, for example, a certain enemy counters your juggle move by teleporting to right behind your head, so in the same combo as the launch you could also ready your counterattack for what you know they're going to do and make sure that they teleport right into the middle of your next move.

So, something similar to a burst bait? I could totally get behind a mechanic like that. Maybe while the enemy's eye starts to glow, and you know it will either "tech", perform a counter, or burst, so you can anticipate it and punish it accordingly.

So, something similar to a burst bait? I could totally get behind a mechanic like that. Maybe while the enemy's eye starts to glow, and you know it will either "tech", perform a counter, or burst, so you can anticipate it and punish it accordingly.

Possibly - I'm not familiar with the mechanic you're describing or what it comes from.

I think that a lot of the steps needed to get an enemy stunned and juggled *most of the time* in DMC are either like "step 1 -> enemy is juggled" or "step 1, step 2 -> enemy is juggled" (second scenario generally including some sort of guard break). It'd be great to see that advanced to something more like "step 1, enemy does a countermove to punish you, counter with step 2 -> enemy is juggled," with additional complexity chained into that as needed.

Sephzilla

All those plus the newer Vergil moves in DmC.

I like Osiris too even though it uses moves from other weapons. I always wanted a true Scythe weapon for a DMC game.

2988520050213_234459_5_big.jpg

i should probably be careful googling 'nevan' at work

Dahbomb

I said TRUE Scythe weapon, not a weapon with a Scythe form as a side attack. Might as well call the Sparda sword a Scythe weapon as well.

There are enemies in DMC who have this "combo breaker" ability and they are enemies that are almost universally agreed to be really annoying. Chimeras are the prime example where after a certain time of comboing them they unleash their vines and break your combo.

I don't think enemies should have ways to counter combos, rather it should be build in the SYSTEM and other enemies should try to interrupt their allies being comboed.

I said TRUE Scythe weapon, not a weapon with a Scythe form as a side attack. Might as well call the Sparda sword a Scythe weapon as well.

There are enemies in DMC who have this "combo breaker" ability and they are enemies that are almost universally agreed to be really annoying. Chimeras are the prime example where after a certain time of comboing them they unleash their vines and break your combo.

I don't think enemies should have ways to counter combos, rather it should be build in the SYSTEM and other enemies should try to interrupt their allies being comboed.

I think the problem with the Chimera, though, is that they basically break you out of your combo offensively - I'd want any such counterattack to be fully signposted, contain its own new window of vulnerability, and so on, rather than just being a mechanic to force you to keep your combos short (e.g. you hear an enemy roar while you're comboing them, then they begin the animation for their next move, and you can interrupt them and get right back to comboing them if you know what you're doing). You should be able to anticipate their counter and keep your combo going rather than just having it come to an end, but keeping your combo going should mean you need to react/plan more.

But yeah, it'd be quite cool for enemies to get more aggressive when you're comboing one of their allies too.

Dahbomb

You can still keep your combo going against a Chimera by just Parrying with Royal Guard or just keep distance and shoot with guns when you know they are about to counter.

DMC4 Dante's Japanese voice actor sounds off to me.
It probably sounds off because he actually sounds like a grown ass man now.

Sephzilla

It probably sounds off because he actually sounds like a grown ass man now.

Not to me. It sounds like someone who's actively trying to make their voice sound lower than it naturally is. It sounds really artificial and forced to me. DMC1 and DMC4 Dante's voices sounded a lot more natural (granted its different actors and language). Grown ass men dont always have really deep voices. Dante never struck me as the type who'd have a really deep voice anyway.

NickFire

This will be a good PS+ addition some day I hope, cause no way am I paying $40 or anywhere near for it. I enjoyed the original release, but nothing about it screamed play me again for $40.

Dahbomb

Not to me. It sounds like someone who's actively trying to make their voice sound lower than it naturally is. It sounds really artificial and forced to me. DMC1 and DMC4 Dante's voices sounded a lot more natural (granted its different actors and language). Grown ass men dont always have really deep voices. Dante never struck me as the type who'd have a really deep voice anyway.
DMC4 Dante's voice never really matched the voice you would expect from a 30+ year old. It was OK in DMC3 when he was barely 18 but now it just makes him more of a man child.

The VA isn't actively trying to make his sound lower, that's a pretty standard voice in anime and in fact I would not be surprised if it's a known VA of various anime.

The whole Dante shouldn't have a changed or deeper voice from DMC3 reminds me of the Goku dub in the Japanese version. Author wanted to preserve the youthful exuberance of Goku and didn't change his VA even as he got older. Now it just sounds terrible as Goku has the same voice as Gohan (in this case Dante and Nero's English VA doesn't sound like there's an actual age gap).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Possibly - I'm not familiar with the mechanic you're describing or what it comes from.

I think that a lot of the steps needed to get an enemy stunned and juggled *most of the time* in DMC are either like "step 1 -> enemy is juggled" or "step 1, step 2 -> enemy is juggled" (second scenario generally including some sort of guard break). It'd be great to see that advanced to something more like "step 1, enemy does a countermove to punish you, counter with step 2 -> enemy is juggled," with additional complexity chained into that as needed.

Bursting is a common mechanic in combo heavy fighting games where you can burst out of your opponent's combo under certain conditions, sending them flying back and giving you breathing room.

At a high level, players will bait the Burst, setting up a trap whereby their opponent will be forced to Burst, anticipate/dodge the Burst, and punish accordingly.

Sephzilla

DMC4 Dante's voice never really matched the voice you would expect from a 30+ year old. It was OK in DMC3 when he was barely 18 but now it just makes him more of a man child.

The VA isn't actively trying to make his sound lower, that's a pretty standard voice in anime and in fact I would not be surprised if it's a known VA of various anime.

The whole Dante shouldn't have a changed or deeper voice from DMC3 reminds me of the Goku dub in the Japanese version. Author wanted to preserve the youthful exuberance of Goku and didn't change his VA even as he got older. Now it just sounds terrible as Goku has the same voice as Gohan (in this case Dante and Nero's English VA doesn't sound like there's an actual age gap).

Well, going by how he acts in DMC4 he is kind of a man-child at least in attitude.

Bursting is a common mechanic in combo heavy fighting games where you can burst out of your opponent's combo under certain conditions, sending them flying back and giving you breathing room.

At a high level, players will bait the Burst, setting up a trap whereby their opponent will be forced to Burst, anticipate/dodge the Burst, and punish accordingly.

Ah. Then yeah, that'd be great (though preferably a simpler form of it without NPC enemies having any form of super meter, of course).

A good example of moves that would feed nicely into this sort of enemy mechanic would be Air Trick or Shuffle (both of which, of course, already work nicely on enemies that you're attacking but not stunning).

BadWolf

The English VAs for DMC4 sound better and more appropriate to me as well.

Bursting is a common mechanic in combo heavy fighting games where you can burst out of your opponent's combo under certain conditions.

That's fine in a competitive fighting game but will mess with the flow of combat in DMC imo.

There is also the element of wasting your opponent's burst in a fighting game to screw them over. That won't really apply against a CPU enemy.

Dahbomb

Yeah I don't really like this burst idea either. I just think enemies should be able to break out of combos if you start repeating moves too much (say that enemies "adapt" to your combos) and other enemies should try to jump up and hit you out of the sky if you are comboing their mates.

Seyavesh

DmC enemies tried to hit you out of the sky if you did a launch combo but it was so brain dead to infinitely raise them w air hike into Osiris pull that it didn't matter since you'd just pull them up too

launch combos are fine if they're the reward for figuring out the challenge of the enemy and exploiting it/beating it, which is already how they're designed

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah I don't really like this burst idea either. I just think enemies should be able to break out of combos if you start repeating moves too much (say that enemies "adapt" to your combos) and other enemies should try to jump up and hit you out of the sky if you are comboing their mates.

I don't really like the idea of enemies breaking out of combos if you repeat moves. It seems needlessly restrictive.

The Burst could be reactable, obvious, and punishable... and I don't think all enemies should have it. It's just an idea.

That's fine in a competitive fighting game but will mess with the flow of combat in DMC imo.

There is also the element of wasting your opponent's burst in a fighting game to screw them over. That won't really apply against a CPU enemy.

I was thinking more for a small subset of enemies or something. There should still be the rank and file infinite juggle enemies. And the idea of a burst bait disrupts the flow even less. Think almost like how Vergil stumbles after taking a certain number of hits and will auto counter any next hit. You see this will occur, so you stop attacking, or you bait the counter with a Beowulf charge.

Dahbomb

DmC enemies tried to hit you out of the sky if you did a launch combo but it was so brain dead to infinitely raise them w air hike into Osiris pull that it didn't matter
I wonder if they tweaked that. I know they did nerf that a bit in the original version but it's still fairly easy to raise enemies well past their jump height.

BadWolf

I was thinking more for a small subset of enemies or something. There should still be the rank and file infinite juggle enemies. And the idea of a burst bait disrupts the flow even less. Think almost like how Vergil stumbles after taking a certain number of hits and will auto counter any next hit. You see this will occur, so you stop attacking, or you bait the counter with a Beowulf charge.

Ah, I see. That could work but I would rather they make the enemies themselves more interesting and unique instead of introducing a general mechanic/gimmick.

Like what they did with the Blitz in DMC4.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
What? Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate x Devil May Cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ru-IT11Fl0
I am so convinced that DMC5 is happening. I mean... Why would they be pumping out old school Dante like this out of no where after just trying to murder him off?

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but.. I think Capcom may have actually leaned their lesson.

And the fans taught them that hard lesson and are about to be rewarded for it.

But then again, this is Capcom were talking about, so who knows what kind of fuckery could really be going on here. They could release a Barbie May Cry game aimed at 8 year olds and I probably wouldn't bat an eye.

Fj0823

I think they should have the games promote each other in some form

Got DmC? Here, free DMC4 download code

Got DMC4? Here Free DmC + Nero Skin and Weapon skins for DmC.

But this is the real world, so it won't happen

Frosts on DMD in DMC4 were able to break out of air combos. DMC4 enemy design is kinda underrated. I would just like for DMC5 to have the enemies be designed around Dante's total skillset like Bayonetta.

Unit24

I think they should have the games promote each other in some form

Got DmC? Here, free DMC4 download code

Got DMC4? Here Free DmC + Nero Skin and Weapon skins for DmC.

But this is the real world, so it won't happen

A bundle would be neat.

BBboy20

Bionic Commando: Both Rearmed and '09 were phenomenal. Absolutely two of my favorite games ever. I still get sad when I remember that Grin closed down. Rearmed 2 was really fun as well.
'09 was a very fustrating game with brief moments of brilliance when combating while swinging. MP got very intense when pulling the trigger constantly to get that kill with your pistol. Not many games capture sporadic focus, let alone very well.

Rearmed is one of the greatest remakes of all time and should be on any top 5/10 list. Hey, if you want to listen to more of the composer's work, play Overkill games.

Dead Rising 2: Never played the original, only ever played Off the Record but I really loved it. Extremely fun game. I haven't played 3 since I don't have an Xbone, but I'll try it out whenever I get one. Heard good things.
It's also on PC.

Dark Void: Demo was possibly one of the worst things I've played last gen. Story seemed awful, and generic Nolan North voice for the MC killed it for me. Heard bad things about the full game as well.
Not bad, just dull to the bone. Though, the last few minutes of the final cut-scene was subtly the 2nd best part of the game. Soundtrack is so worthy though that I bought it (Being a Battlestar Galatica fan helps). I own Dark Void Zero yet to this very day I have yet to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8DWcs9Kzxs

anyone noticed that Nero has the same voice from ichego from bleach ?
Johnny Young Bosch usually gets typecasted as young, hot-headed leads.

Frosts on DMD in DMC4 were able to break out of air combos. DMC4 enemy design is kinda underrated. I would just like for DMC5 to have the enemies be designed around Dante's total skillset like Bayonetta.

I'm not so sure I'd argue that Bayo's enemies are designed that way - Bayonetta's very much designed around making any equipment setup whatsoever fairly viable, and the enemies have very little to indicate that they're designed around specific counters to and/or encouragements to use bird/panther form, IMO. Bayonetta's got great enemy design but it's absolutely focused on letting you use whichever tools you prefer - as are DMC3/4's enemies. (DMC1's are a bit different, as Dahbomb can attest - they've each got a specific weakness that they fall easily to).

Dahbomb

DMC3 has enemies that are particularly weak to specific weapons too but again these strengths/weaknesses aren't that great that you can't beat them using some other equipment. It's at most a 10% difference.

DMC1 is really about the same with the exception of Alastor against Plasma and Frosts against Ifrit. Alastor is definitely not recommended against Plasma as they multiply more (they can still be killed by it) and Frosts are definitely much weaker to Ifrit than Alastor.

I loved that whole element system thing, Nero has a big opportunity to expand upon that with the exceed system.

He could have a lightning exceed and a liquid nitrogen exceed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC3 has enemies that are particularly weak to specific weapons too but again these strengths/weaknesses aren't that great that you can't beat them using some other equipment. It's at most a 10% difference.

But it's soooo cool. Having the subtle elemental effects on the enemies, and changing their hitstun properties is really satisfying.

Gbraga

ibnJhT5q4E21up.gif

DmC still has more swag than most other action games out there. Good to see work put out for the game 2 years after the fact, I know people were like "LOL DmC has no depth, dead in 2 months". I am hoping for more high quality stuff when the Definitive edition releases.

Ha, I didn't even remember the "dead in 2 months" comments, but you're right.

I suck at editing, so I didn't even try to make any DmC videos more than a few seconds long, but maybe I'll try streaming for a while, that could be interesting too.

Zexnus' DMC4 streams are pretty awesome.

Sephzilla

ibnJhT5q4E21up.gif

DmC still has more swag than most other action games out there. Good to see work put out for the game 2 years after the fact, I know people were like "LOL DmC has no depth, dead in 2 months". I am hoping for more high quality stuff when the Definitive edition releases.

well, it was pretty dead after 2 months
if you go by the sales charts.

I'm not so sure I'd argue that Bayo's enemies are designed that way - Bayonetta's very much designed around making any equipment setup whatsoever fairly viable, and the enemies have very little to indicate that they're designed around specific counters to and/or encouragements to use bird/panther form, IMO. Bayonetta's got great enemy design but it's absolutely focused on letting you use whichever tools you prefer - as are DMC3/4's enemies. (DMC1's are a bit different, as Dahbomb can attest - they've each got a specific weakness that they fall easily to).

What I meant by skillset for Bayonetta was dodge/panther offset, her special moves, and knowing which combo to use for Wicked Weaves. But you're right about the fact that she and Dante can use any equipment set against enemies.

Top Bottom