• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

Capcom shipped 1 million copies of DmC Devil May Cry in January, the company announced as part of their nine-month earnings report today. Additionally, the company has revised its sales forecast for DmC Devil May Cry as well. Initially, Capcom expected to ship 2 million copies of the game by March 31st, 2013. Now, that figure has been lowered to 1.2 million. For comparison, Capcom shipped over 2 million copies of Devil May Cry 4 when the game launched in 2008. Devil May Cry 4 had/has the highest initial shipment of any Devil May Crytitle in the series.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/0...llion-copies-forecast-lowered-to-1-2-million/

Doomrider

Just 4 million shy of the mark
image.php

Dachande

I still can't believe they thought this would sell better than DMC4. Just giving it to a western developer isn't magically going to shift more copies...

haikira

I still can't believe they thought this would sell better than DMC4. Just giving it to a western developer isn't magically going to shift more copies...

They gave it to a western developer, because of Dragon's Dogma. Nothing to do with wanting to sell more.

Majukun

so,they changed developers,changed dante, destroyed a franchise and pissed off the fans,just to make the same numbers of bayonetta (at least for the first shipment),that didn't have a big franchise bihind?

well done capcom,well done
dmc_jesterClapping.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Game is spectacular. I hope it picks up a bit otherwise I doubt we see any DMC games for a while. I'd love a sequel to this.

so,they changed developers,changed dante, destroyed a franchise and pissed off the fans,just to make the same numbers of bayonetta (at least for the first shipment),that didn't have a big franchise bihind?

well done capcom,well done

If by "destroyed" you mean fixed and made a great game, then sure.

Pein

Banned
Considering I never saw a single advertisement for this game anywhere that's decent. I hope pc sales were good and we get a sequel, maybe a wii u port too.

Until then I'll buy the dlc they release.

Gbraga

After the last interview talking about the development of the game, if the Capcom executives were paying attention DMC5 is inevitable (or DmC 2 made by Capcom). It's almost like DMC2 when they just said "Itsuno, this game sucks, fix it", but this time the studio was better than DMC2's original studio so the game is actually good

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Hopefully this is the last we hear from DmC. Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta 2 will scratch the action game itch for 99% of the genre's fans.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I believe Bayonetta is probably circling 2 million these days, especially post-PSN release.

So looks like DMC is a dying franchise. Congrats Capcom, it can join the growing pile of yer dead!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hopefully this is the last we hear from DmC. Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta 2 will scratch the action game itch for 99% of the genre's fans.

I'd venture a guess that Bayonetta 2 is going to do even worse numbers. One platform, and if DmC didn't sell I don't see how the much more far out Bayonetta will.

I believe Bayonetta is probably circling 2 million these days, especially post-PSN release.

So looks like DMC is a dying franchise. Congrats Capcom, it can join the growing pile of yer dead!
Which makes Sega canning Bayonetta 2 all the more odd. I doubt Platinum are the most of expensive of developers.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Such a great game! awesome style, excellent soundtrack. Game was thoroughly enjoyable. Shame we may never get a sequel. Not the best combat in the series but the rest of the game was awesome, and the combat was good enough imho.

Shame, major shame

Oppo

I did my part, bought on PC.

Best DMC since the first one, and the best writing/voice work the series has ever seen IMO. Not finished with it yet but I'm really enjoying it. I "get" this interpretation of the series.

Stop sipping Platinum's kool-aid Virility and awaken yourselves to true Shakespearean art

Donte is the Hamlet of our generation

DaBuddaDa

Pure "westernization" of a franchise is never going to be enough. The only way for a game to break into the mass consciousness of North America nowadays is to have to relentlessly shoved down everyone's throat in a 6-month long, $100 million ad and marketing campaign. If you don't do that, good luck ever breaking past a couple million copies sold if you're lucky.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Which makes Sega canning Bayonetta 2 all the more odd. I doubt Platinum are the most of expensive of developers.

Sega were in some serious trouble last year. When you cant even afford to print discs for finished games, funding newer ones from an alliance that in their eyes wasn't reaping big results is going to be the first thing scratched. But then Sega goes and snaps up Relic, so it would seem the company is becoming a western PC focussed one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
let's look at the positive side
maybe next time capcom will think twice before destroying a loved franchise and piss off fans

lol no. Least this game had characters that had motivation and depth, and a story that made some sort of sense. 4 was a fun game, but I had no idea what was going on. Not to mention half the game was backtracking.

Pein

Banned
Sega were in some serious trouble last year. When you cant even afford to print discs for finished games, funding newer ones from an alliance that in their eyes wasn't reaping big results is going to be the first thing scratched. But then Sega goes and snaps up Relic, so it would seem the company is becoming a western PC focussed one.

don't they have two billion in the bank?

Game quality aside, the sales numbers are basically about one thing: it is the end of the generation and if you are not appealing to and exploiting the current fanbase, you're not going to sell well.

People don't want expanded audience products from long running series after seven years of this generation. They want what is familiar and comforting to them. DmC was selling to an audience of mostly DMC fans and a lot of them found it off-putting.

You will get inherently lower numbers that way, regardless of how good the game is (which I don't think it was, but that's one man's opinion).

lol no. Least this game had characters that had motivation and depth, and a story that made some sort of sense. 4 was a fun game, but I had no idea what was going on. Not to mention half the game was backtracking.

Because that is what people care about in a Devil May Cry game. Characters and Story.

If by "destroyed" you mean fixed and made a great game, then sure.

They ain't fixed shit.

They made combat slower, added coloured enemies, some of the worst boss-fights in the franchise, shallow platforming, several cutscene interruptions (some of them unskippable, most of them not instantly skippable) and removed lock-on. It's looks nice and has good combat despite Ninja Theory's inclusion but putting a bigger focus on story and presentation made the game a drag on repeated playthroughs.

Endo Punk

Yep MGR will scrach the itch of those looking for a NG like experience, Bayo 2 for those who want DMC type gameplay and God of War Ascension for everything else. And if LoS2 is releasing this year well that's just covering all grounds. Fans of the genre shall not starve this year.

Curufinwe

They ain't fixed shit.

They made combat slower, added coloured enemies, some of the worst boss-fights in the franchise, shallow platforming, several cutscene interruptions (some of them unskippable, most of them not instantly skippable) and removed lock-on. It's looks nice and has good combat despite Ninja Theory's inclusion but putting a bigger focus on story and presentation made the game a drag on repeated playthroughs.

A lot of the dialogue is also terribly written and cringeworthy.

Skilletor

this, wish more people would give the game a chance

I will. When it's about the price I think it's worth giving the game a chance.

I would never want to give Capcom the idea that I want more Ninja Theory games.

I play videogames for gameplay.

Man, claiming the characters in DmC had motivation makes me wonder if you understood this game, either.

Pretty much everyone changes their core convictions at the drop of a hat - at most it takes a two minute conversation.

The dialogue is well-written and the performances are great, but praising the game for the character motivation seems crazy.

Top Bottom