• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

"We have a moderately successful IP!"
"Moderately successful?"
"Yes! Moderately successful, we're all very joyful!"
"Why do you not just say...'a successful IP'?"
"Well...because its only moderately successful..."
"Only? ONLY!? I SHOULD HAVE YOUR HEAD! ALL THIS TALK OF ONLY; 'Moderately; who am I Lord Blackadder?"
"Well, Ma'am...your the Queen of England, aren't you Ma'am?"
"And should the Queen of England expect 'moderately' or 'only'?"
"Well no Ma'am...but it is is a niche title!"
"NICHE!"
"-I mean! At the moment Ma'am..."
"So you will make this successful for me Blackadder?"
"Oh absolutely Ma'am! 'Only' successful!"
"Hehe! Well if you don't I'll have your head.

At some point during after Blackadder leaves Queenie; a smart and courageous man said the following:
"Ah, but I've got a cunning plan! If we get rid of the things people like and replace them with all the things people don't like, then the people who don't currently like what people do currently like - will be the ones who like the game!"

----------------------------------------------------

This was possibly too much effort and rubbish but I am bored and on caffeine :p

Lucc

Marketing was terrible. Especially the arrogance of the creative director set the tone for all the hate the game received.

Should have had another spokesman and explained the changes to the community without being a cocky prick.

The game will pick up massively when it hits bomba prices. It's the best bargin bin game in a while. But yeah, this is going to hurt NT in the long run in pitching projects. The best thing they hope is capcom has still got faith in them and throw them another bone.

But let's not forget. Clover was not shut down because if the quailty of their games but rather the fact their games underperformed, a fact that's only marginally better now as platinum. While I'm sure the normal heads of development wanna see more ninja theory, the guys who actually just look at the numbers might not be too happy right now.

$48,000,000 in sales, no matter how much that would have been in pure profit is not something you can just explain away.

Majukun

I'd venture a guess that Bayonetta 2 is going to do even worse numbers. One platform, and if DmC didn't sell I don't see how the much more far out Bayonetta will.

if bayonetta 2 is the same type of game of the first one,they will have an entirely different type of customer in mind.

NPD numbers must have been dissastrous is they expect only 1.2 million sales.

I can't see Capcom being to happy with these numbers and basically makes NT third bomba game.

Majukun

lol no. Least this game had characters that had motivation and depth, and a story that made some sort of sense. 4 was a fun game, but I had no idea what was going on. Not to mention half the game was backtracking.

you really think that fans of the franchise followed it for the story?really?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Because that is what people care about in a Devil May Cry game. Characters and Story.

I play videogames for gameplay.

The gameplay in DmC is just as good as 4. I actually enjoyed it more which is why I didn't mention it. If the gameplay is on par, the best thing they could have done was make the story and characters actually good, which they did.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
don't they have two billion in the bank?

The Sammy part of SegaSammy probably does, sure. Look at it like this, Sammy adopted a son into his farmhouse, the loveable ruffian failure that is Sega. He set him to work out on the farm and gave him a wage for doing so, even put SAMMY&SON up on the gate. Except Sega kept accidentally killing farm animals and killing crops, losing the farm as a whole more and more money. So Sammy doesn't let him out on the farm as much to do big important things anymore and certainly doesn't pay him as much.

DmC's story is poorly conceived, only saved by writing that seems like its meaningful because of the delivery.

Not the moment to moment of it, but yes, people really liked the characters and the lore

haikira

Resident Evil 6 Selling 4.8 is fucking depressing, compared to this sales for this game. If there was one game fans need to be weary of and not buy blindly and one fans needed to be open minded of, well, they're not the right way around in my books.

I can't believe how many people around here think it was some conspiracy or money grab decision. Hideaki Itsuno moved on the Dragon's Dogma and now Dragon's Dogma 2 it seems. Also they kept boasting during development of Resident Evil 6, how they had more people at capcom working at once on the game, than they ever had on any other project. I'm not surprised they were short staffed and farmed out Dead Rising 2, Lost Planet 3 and DmC to western developers.

DmC doesn't come close to matching the combat depth of previous games, i'll admit that in a heart beat. But it's a surprisingly good game and it's a shame it couldn't have just stood on it's own, rather than being constantly compared to the previous series.

Also I don't think the "We're afraid of piracy and also stupid" week or so delay for PC really helped things.

Instead of being part of the conversation, it meant a lot of people just waited for bomba prices.

Curufinwe

"We have a moderately successful IP!"
"Moderately successful?"
"Yes! Moderately successful, we're all very joyful!"
"Why do you not just say...'a successful IP'?"
"Well...because its only moderately successful..."
"Only? ONLY!? I SHOULD HAVE YOUR HEAD! ALL THIS TALK OF ONLY; 'Moderately; who am I Lord Blackadder?"
"Well, Ma'am...your the Queen of England, aren't you Ma'am?"
"And should the Queen of England expect 'moderately' or 'only'?"
"Well no Ma'am...but it is is a niche title!"
"NICHE!"
"-I mean! At the moment Ma'am..."
"So you will make this successful for me Blackadder?"
"Oh absolutely Ma'am! 'Only' successful!"
"Hehe! Well if you don't I'll have your head.

At some point during after Blackadder leaves Queenie; a smart and courageous man said the following:
"Ah, but I've got a cunning plan! If we get rid of the things people like and replace them with all the things people don't like, then the people who don't currently like what people do currently like - will be the ones who like the game!"

----------------------------------------------------

This was possibly too much effort and rubbish but I am bored and on caffeine :p

I appreciated it.

God I hope they never do a Blackadder reboot.

hamchan

Loved the game and thought it was fantastic. Either way they go with it DmC2 or DMC5 I'm pretty happy with, a thought apparently not shared by some of the more crazy fans. The worst thing that could happen is that neither game gets made because of poor sales.

Skilletor

The gameplay in DmC is just as good as 4. I actually enjoyed it more which is why I didn't mention it. If the gameplay is on par, the best thing they could have done was make the story and characters actually good, which they did.

I couldn't disagree more. Nothing Ninja Theory has made can touch a top tier japanese action game's combat.

Opinions man. Making the move set tight and usable is much better than the concept of just adding 10,000 moves, 3/4 of which people will never use.

They cut 3/4 of the moves for 1/2 the sales. That's math you can take to the bank!

It's definitely not the trainwreck I expected back when the game was first announced. But I definitely do not think the gameplay is as good as DMC4, that's crazy talk.

Does not deserve poor sales, but I'm interested to see Capcom's reaction. I do think they'll give NT another shot (no reason not to release a follow-up in a couple of years, it'd be nice to see Ninja Theory finally get to make a sequel), but I wouldn't mind them keeping the option open of going back to the main series sooner than later.

JoeFenix

Finished the game on PC and thought it was pretty terrible honestly. So many questionable things, such a lack of excitement and style, this game just doesn't cut it.

Can't say I'm sad to see the sales reflect the lack of quality.

ymmv

Banned
let's look at the positive side
maybe next time capcom will think twice before destroying a loved franchise and piss off fans

The people who actually played the game think it's a very good game. The franchise was not destroyed, those pigheaded fans who shout abuse at NT and Capcom are wrong.

Haunted

Not much, sold less than 4 and Bayonetta.
:/

I assume the fanbase reactions were the same there as they were here.

The people who actually played the game think it's a very good game. The franchise was not destroyed, those pigheaded fans who shout abuse at NT and Capcom are wrong.
As someone who laughed at the new design and was pretty much shocked at the initial unveil - after playing the demo and the final game, I've basically done a 180 on it.

I guess that many of the negative comments still persisting after people have played it have to do with it being 30fps on consoles, which is simply not up to the standard of the franchise.

At 60fps, I think this game stands toe to toe with any of the predecessors - and looks much better.

Curufinwe

There aren't enough of them, and that's what kills franchises. Low sales and lack of interest.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They cut 3/4 of the moves for 1/2 the sales. That's math you can take to the bank!

It's really a curious thing to look at, is it selling less just because they changed it? Or are people just not as interested in the series? Would DMC5 have sold even less being even less mainstream? Or was the marketing just non-existent? I don't think you can just assume it did worse because of the change in design.

Tizoc

It boggles my mind that a game now needs to sell MORE than 1 million units to be considered profitable. Surely the PC sales of this game have been well at least?
Now I regret not grabbing the PC/Steam ver. for $20 off that website some days ago @_@.

Skilletor

It's really a curious thing to look at, is it selling less just because they changed it? Or are people just not as interested in the series? Would DMC5 have sold even less being even less mainstream? Or was the marketing just non-existent? I don't think you can just assume it did worse because of the change in design.

Indeed. I just hope this means no more Ninja Theory DMC. I think they're a shit developer and nothing they do is worth very much of my money.

One whole string of generalizations doesn't make you right you know.

Not everyone who played it liked it, plenty of people do think the reboot is negative for the original series and do I even need to touch the "pigheaded fans" portion?

Shame, I've enjoyed all of Ninja Theory's games to varying degrees, with this being the best. It's a superb game, really inventive, with the boss fights being some of the most fun I've had this generation. Capcom's experiment worked in the sense that it got people, like me, with only a passive interest in the series to sit up and take notice, and I much prefer the Western cheese of Dante than the Japanese. Not to mention that the levels
Raptor News and Demon's Got Talent
look mind blowing in 3D. Hope it's a slow burner, because it should do ok based off word of mouth. Didn't really care for the DMC4, but this has been a nice surprise and surpassed my expectations.

JoeFenix

You know, I think this is Karma for putting that awful Twitter video in the game.

I don't care what game it is, how good it might be otherwise, if you have something like that in your game you deserve to bomb. Most offensive thing I've seen in a game this generation I think!

I still can't believe they thought that bringing on Ninja Theory would give them a wider audience. Fucking NINJA THEORY - makers of Bomba and Nuclear Bomba.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Indeed. I just hope this means no more Ninja Theory DMC. I think they're a shit developer and nothing they do is worth very much of my money.

That's where I disagree. I adored Enslaved and they did great work on the characters and story of DmC. That seems to be their strong point, mo-cap and character development/interaction. I liked the DmC gameplay too, but maybe they just need to co-develop it with someone else if people didn't like the gameplay.

Majukun

again,opinions,i suppose.

but you can't deny that it was vastly different

Top Bottom