• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

demidar

I always liked DMC4 as well. The backtracking with Dante is annoying but the game smokes everything else due to its excellent combat system and you can basically rush through those levels anyway. Prettier backgrounds don't make DmC a better game because the level themselves are pretty bad from a layout perspective. Most won't even care because they only play it once or twice anyway.

DMC4 on the other hand is the kind of game that gets better the longer you play. I've only recently started to incorporate Blue Rose effectively in my combos and I had no idea you could basically "cheat" the dices. Fantastic game.

Blue Rose fully charged pretty much destroys everything. I really like Nero and his Devil Bringer is awesome but the one thing I hate (and why I prefer to play Dante) is having to hold down the gun button to charge it constantly. My fingers tend to hurt after an hour or two after that.

Didn't mind backtracking because the base gameplay is so godly, especially since Dante plays wildly different to Nero. The most flashy thing I can do is dance around those floating enemies that need to have their shroud removed indefinitely in mid-air. Jump up to close the distance and fire a few shotgun blasts, double jump and fire a few more, Air Trick and shoot, Sky Star into the Mephisto and jump cancel off him to reset all moves and do it all again without touching the floor. When he's down switch to Gilgamesh and do a DRI with is one-shot if done right.

velociraptor

I have a hard time believing that you perceived the backtracking as "endless" or even fought the repeat bosses when you don't even remember how the character in that part played but fair enough.

I always liked DMC4 as well. The backtracking with Dante is annoying but the game smokes everything else due to its excellent combat system and you can basically rush through those levels anyway. Prettier backgrounds don't make DmC a better game because the level themselves are pretty bad from a layout perspective. Most won't even care because they only play it once or twice anyway.

DMC4 on the other hand is the kind of game that gets better the longer you play. I've only recently started to incorporate Blue Rose effectively in my combos and I had no idea you could basically "cheat" the dices. Fantastic game.

Yup, this :lol
I didn't complete the game, but as I said, this was years ago. So do forgive me if I don't recall every small detail of the game(!).

I didn't complete the game, but as I said, this was years ago. So do forgive me if I don't recall every small detail of the game(!).

But that's not a small detail. It's a core factor for the basis of Dante's combat.

So if you can't even remember that then I'm pretty sure most people won't consider your opinions on DMC4 relative to DmC with any serious thought.

Blue Rose fully charged pretty much destroys everything. I really like Nero and his Devil Bringer is awesome but the one thing I hate (and why I prefer to play Dante) is having to hold down the gun button to charge it constantly. My fingers tend to hurt after an hour or two after that.

Didn't mind backtracking because the base gameplay is so godly, especially since Dante plays wildly different to Nero. The most flashy thing I can do is dance around those floating enemies that need to have their shroud removed indefinitely in mid-air. Jump up to close the distance and fire a few shotgun blasts, double jump and fire a few more, Air Trick and shoot, Sky Star into the Mephisto and jump cancel off him to reset all moves and do it all again without touching the floor. When he's down switch to Gilgamesh and do a DRI with is one-shot if done right.

Yeah, Blue Rose is a bit tricky for me as well. I play on a 360 controller and always had it on X because my hands get cramped using RB to lock-on and RT to shoot requiring me to work around that a bit. But Dahbomb and co. have suggested in another thread I should try again and I feel my game has improved a lot. It requires some getting used to but it's so much better. Fucking stomped Blitz. If they had given him one more weapon (like... fucking Yamato for example.) and one more Devil Bringer ability, he'd have been incredible.

Dante is on a completely different level though. I really, really need to put in more work with him.

Nothing could help this game.

The developer doesn't have a big cult of gamers willing to give them a chance on name alone.

They took someone else IP with a bigger cult.

You don't need rocket science to understand the imbalance that it will cause in the reactions.

demidar

Yeah, Blue Rose is a bit tricky for me as well. I play on a 360 controller and always had it on X because my hands get cramped using RB to lock-on and RT to shoot requiring me to work around that a bit. But Dahbomb and co. have suggested in another thread I should try again and I feel my game has improved a lot. It requires some getting used to but it's so much better. Fucking stomped Blitz. If they had given him one more weapon (like... fucking Yamato for example.) and one more Devil Bringer ability, he'd have been incredible.

Dante is on a completely different level though. I really, really need to put in more work with him.

As far as I know, the best way to take down Blitzes as Nero is to Blue Rose Charge Shot 3 and Buster the shield off when it's safe. Afterwards when the shield is off, pop Devil Trigger and Buster him while charging BR. He'll take 3 Busters in a row before he turns red, and when he gets into the floating recharge animation shoot him and he'll die.

Dante is far easier, switch to Gilgamesh, switch to Royal Guard and attack him with a basic punch. Then activate and hold the guard button a bit before the hit actually strikes and you'll get a Royal Block giving you one segment of DT, nullify aftershock damage and quickly damages the shield. Unfortunately I haven't devised a way to kill him during the red phase besides getting off a lucky DRI (he moves a bit too much connect consistently).

Also you can activate Devil Trigger to escape holds like getting swallowed by the frog boss, getting grappled by Blitzes in red and getting frozen by Frosts.

As far as I know, the best way to take down Blitzes as Nero is to Blue Rose Charge Shot 3 and Buster the shield off when it's safe. Afterwards when the shield is off, pop Devil Trigger and Buster him while charging BR. He'll take 3 Busters in a row before he turns red, and when he gets into the floating recharge animation shoot him and he'll die.

Dante is far easier, switch to Gilgamesh, switch to Royal Guard and attack him with a basic punch. Then activate and hold the guard button a bit before the hit actually strikes and you'll get a Royal Block giving you one segment of DT, nullify aftershock damage and quickly damages the shield. Unfortunately I haven't devised a way to kill him during the red phase besides getting off a lucky DRI (he moves a bit too much connect consistently).

Also you can activate Devil Trigger to escape holds like getting swallowed by the frog boss, getting grappled by Blitzes in red and getting frozen by Frosts.

Yup, that's what I did even before (it's not like you can do anything else aside from dodging) but charging Blue Rose while pummeling him with Devil Buster makes it even easier. I don't know, I never got the hate for Nero, I appreciated his accessible nature and
I absolutely love the Exceed system. Should have kept him.

demidar

Yup, that's what I did even before (it's not like you can do anything else aside from dodging) but charging Blue Rose while pummeling him with Devil Buster makes it even easier. I don't know, I never got the hate for Nero, I appreciated his accessible nature and
I absolutely love the Exceed system. Should have kept him.

Exceed system adds a lot of depth I agree. Nero is entry-level but he can stretch pretty far, perfect for a sequel to expand upon.

Conan-san

I just see how RE6 went and am terrified at the possibility of what DMC5 could have become. IMO this new direction was the best thing for the franchise. They just needed to market it more.
Because people will respond to having Donte shoved even down our throats even harder.

The ship has sailed on Donte. It's time to relegate it to the opening cutscene of a hypothetical Devil May Cry 6 where Dante wakes up from a horrific nightmare where he was a stupid tit in a They Live Rip off.

And Michael Bay happens around Dante and we get thrown into another rip roaring adventure of hijinks, hopefully less backtracking and, prase the heavens above, a lock on button.

Top Bottom