• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

danmaku

LOOOL. All NT injected into DmC is a weaker combat system and automatic platforming. The story is still shit, albiet now it's got that injection of social commentary squeezed right out of some teenage 9/11 conspiracy theorist's youtube channel.

DmC is still 'corrider > fightbox >corridor > fightbox >corrider, littered with annoying cutscenes. It's literally the same fucking formula as every other DMC game, but some MANDATORY features such as hard lock on taken out.

do these PR simps even fucking play the games they talk about or do they just like to think they know what they're talking about?

PR guys are just trying to create some controversy because almost everyone is ignoring their game.

demidar

Because he looked like a generic japanese video game character. That isn't saying its better now that he is a generic western western video game character but the guy looked like he stepped straight out of final fantasy.

White hair I will give you, but everything else? Can I see some examples?

seady

Ninja Theory did great enough job to make the franchise interesting to gamers again. The brand just isn't what it used to be anymore so Capcom has no one to blame but themselves.

It definitely couldn't have anything to do with the game itself or how it was marketed. Yes, it must be the fault of literally every single other thing in the world.

Capcom levels of marketing have fucking nothing on social media response in this day and age and the game is quite good, so...

Why'd you stop posting on SA?

All I see is endless images of Dante, which means he is NOT generic, rather he is iconic. Try again.

You see lots of images of Dante because you googled "Devil May Cry Dante". Do you understand how google works? You type words in and it finds stuff related to what you typed. That is why you found pages of Dante.

Googling Cole Phelps results in a similar outcome but instead of pictures of Dante, google returns pictures of Cole Phelps. The entirely un-iconic Cole Phelps.

demidar

You see lots of images of Dante because you googled "Devil May Cry Dante". Do you understand how google works? You type words in and it finds stuff related to what you typed. That is why you found pages of Dante.

Googling Cole Phelps results in a similar outcome but instead of pictures of Dante, google returns pictures of Cole Phelps. The entirely un-iconic Cole Phelps.

Okay, but that still doesn't prove your point.

Taiser

lel

there is a very high chance that this thing won't even crack the 1 Million Wall.

7iywsNC.jpg

I've already pointed out what makes him look like a generic japanese video game character.

How about you describe what makes him iconic and not at all generic.

The onus is on you to prove that he's generic, given that you're the one that brought it up.

Please, continue to make your ridiculous argument.

Endo Punk

The onus is on you to prove that he's generic, given that you're the one that brought it up.

And besides the characters iconic look was first introduced back in 2000/01. I doubt people thought he was generic back then. No one complained about Dante's look until this reboot popped up, then all of a sudden OG Dante became "generic".

demidar

I've already pointed out what makes him look like a generic japanese video game character.

How about you describe what makes him iconic and not at all generic.

The one that comes close to being "generic anime" is DMC3, where Dante is a young rapscallion who wears some bra thing and a coat that shows his chest *shudder*. His face is also pretty boy-esque. However his personality is abrasive and cocky and tends not to give a shit about anything before a certain point in the game. His coat (and overall theme colour) is red and his hair is white, and these two colours are consistent throughout his games, although there will be some black as well in later chronological incarnations.

DMC1 is after DMC3, Dante is less cuh-razy but still retains a cocky sense of air about him. Again, his costume is themed red with some black, and of course he has his distinctive white mop of a hair. While there are belts, it's not overwhelmingly egregious and do serve a purpose for his coat rather than just being useless add-ons.

DMC4 is next, Dante has turned into an extremely chiseled and rugged man. The best descriptor I've though up is "What Japanese people think is the epitome or masculinity in the west", which already makes him quite different from most generic anime featuring bishonens or typical shounen protagonists. His look is very cowboy inspired, he wears chaps, a thick leather coat (obviously coloured red) and a black undershirt(?) that appears similar to the one in DMC1. Not only that, but he eventually gets a pair of gauntlets and greaves as a hand-to-hand style weapons where the boots resemble oversized spurs. you know, those rotating spikey circles on cowboy's boots.

DMC2 I have fuzzy memories of so someone else can do that for me, but the currently held belief amongst Gaf is that it's the best design.

All of them wield oversized swords to accentuate their superhuman strength, wear a red coat, and most of the time with a black undershirt, and have a white hair styled like a mop. And his guns Ebony and Ivory are quite distinctive as well, a pair of customized handguns coloured black and white. All these parts come together to form the iconic visage of Dante, and hardly anyone who plays these games will mistake him.

Ok, your turn.

Korigama

Ninja Theory did great enough job to make the franchise interesting to gamers again. The brand just isn't what it used to be anymore so Capcom has no one to blame but themselves.
It's amazing how some people who like DmC continue to blame everything but the game itself for its lackluster performance. The only thing agreed here is that Capcom can pat themselves on the back for how poorly this has gone over (yes, it must be a weakened brand, rather than people just not liking this new direction).
Of course. I have seen blame placed on DMC4 and on people who just plain didn't want to buy it. I saw this coming but I really didn't think the sales would be projected to be that low. I still think they will push out a DmC2 and I don't think the sales will be higher. If they are going to make the DmC movie maybe they will tie them in together and think that will boost sales but I really don't understand why they would want to put more money into it.
I wouldn't worry too much about that DmC movie (that was just a CG trailer made to promote the game itself). The future of the franchise is questionable at this point, and while it's possible that they may have been thinking of a DmC2 before the sales results started coming in, I question whether their shareholders would be especially keen on the idea. There's always still the possibility that they'll simply bury Devil May Cry as they have with so many other things, but that all depends on just how much they care about saving what was otherwise one of their top five franchises.

mandas

Neo Member
It's amazing how people who like DmC refuse to blame anything but the game itself for its lackluster performance. The only thing agreed here is that Capcom can pat themselves on the back for how poorly this has gone over (yes, it must be a weakened brand, rather than people just not liking this new direction).

Of course. I have seen blame placed on DMC4 and on people who just plain didn't want to buy it. I saw this coming but I really didn't think the sales would be projected to be that low. I still think they will push out a DmC2 and I don't think the sales will be higher. If they are going to make the DmC movie maybe they will tie them in together and think that will boost sales but I really don't understand why they would want to put more money into it.

The dick jokes are awesome in this game. Am I just wishful or do you catch a little peek at Dante's dick/balls when the pizza doesn't quite stick around long enough in that early cutscene?

Given we are already in agreement that his most defining feature (his hair) is generic, I'm not sure why we are still arguing. He looks like a JPop star with a giant sword.

I'm actually intrigued as to what you think makes him unique and 'iconic'.

The one that comes close to being "generic anime" is DMC3, where Dante is a young rapscallion who wears some bra thing and a coat that shows his chest *shudder*. His face is also pretty boy-esque. However his personality is abrasive and cocky and tends not to give a shit about anything before a certain point in the game. His coat (and overall theme colour) is red and his hair is white, and these two colours are consistent throughout his games, although there will be some black as well in later chronological incarnations.

DMC1 is after DMC3, Dante is less cuh-razy but still retains a cocky sense of air about him. Again, his costume is themed red with some black, and of course he has his distinctive white mop of a hair. While there are belts, it's not overwhelmingly egregious and do serve a purpose for his coat rather than just being useless add-ons.

DMC4 is next, Dante has turned into an extremely chiseled and rugged man. The best descriptor I've though up is "What Japanese people think is the epitome or masculinity in the west", which already makes him quite different from most generic anime featuring bishonens or typical shounen protagonists. His look is very cowboy inspired, he wears chaps, a thick leather coat (obviously coloured red) and a black undershirt(?) that appears similar to the one in DMC1. Not only that, but he eventually gets a pair of gauntlets and greaves as a hand-to-hand style weapons where the boots resemble oversized spurs. you know, those rotating spikey circles on cowboy's boots.

DMC2 I have fuzzy memories of so someone else can do that for me, but the currently held belief amongst Gaf is that it's the best design.

All of them wield oversized swords to accentuate their superhuman strength, wear a red coat, and most of the time with a black undershirt, and have a white hair styled like a mop. And his guns Ebony and Ivory are quite distinctive as well, a pair of customized handguns coloured black and white. All these parts come together to form the iconic visage of Dante, and hardly anyone who plays these games will mistake him.

Ok, your turn.

The question was "why capcom didn't think old Dante to appeals to the western audience?". I answered why I thought he didn't appeal to the gears crowd: He looks like something out of final fantasy with the edgy turned up to 10. Stick old Dante on the front of a box and people who know nothing about the character aren't going to give it a second thought. But I forgot this is a DmC butthurt thread - I should have just said "coz capcom are idiots for abandoning muh dante" and left it at that.

err Dante was one of the poster boys for PS2, if you had put him a box today people would go "oh aint' that dude from that ps2 game? they made another one?"
and seriously dmc4 was their biggest selling title of the franchise, around 2.6 mil, that doesn't scream irrelevant to me, but this was before capcom's new overbearing focus on the western market

Gbraga

I genuinely don't understand complaints about DMC4's level design that also forgive DmC's.

They're both bad in different ways, yes, but they're also both bad.

What I see very often is that people that like "DmC's level design" are talking about the visuals, and not the actual level design.

Not surprising.

demidar

The question was "why capcom didn't think old Dante to appeals to the western audience?". I answered why I thought he didn't appeal to the gears crowd: He looks like something out of final fantasy with the edgy turned up to 10. Stick old Dante on the front of a box and people who know nothing about the character aren't going to give it a second thought. But I forgot this is a DmC butthurt thread - I should have just said "coz capcom are idiots for abandoning muh dante" and left it at that.

Capcom's decision to outsource DMC to a western company to infuse a western aesthetic was dumb. Really dumb. The DMC franchise was on the rise in popularity with DMC4 selling the highest. Then even though the fanbase is still lively they are tossed away for a shot at greater sales. As you know it backfired massively and all of us can laugh at the hubris displayed. That's all.

If people who didn't know who Dante is didn't cared about the games, then why did DMC4 sell the most? And why did nu Dante absolutely bomb?

At this point I don't know if I should expect anything more intelligible from you then "Dante looks like a generic anime character but more edgy derpa derp derp".

Capcom's decision to outsource DMC to a western company to infuse a western aesthetic was dumb. Really dumb. The DMC franchise was on the rise in popularity with DMC4 selling the highest. Then even though the fanbase is still lively they are tossed away for a shot at greater sales. As you know it backfired massively and all of us can laugh at the hubris displayed. That's all.

If people who didn't know who Dante is cared about the game, then why did DMC4 sell the most? And why did nu Dante absolutely bomb?

I don't know, maybe because they made a bad game? Because they called it DmC? The question was "why didn't they think Dante didn't appeal to western audiences". I gave my opinion as to why a western audience might not like Dante.

...and 2.6 million copies for a 3rd sequel? Congrats you did slightly better than Alan Wake.

Given we are already in agreement that his most defining feature (his hair) is generic, I'm not sure why we are still arguing. He looks like a JPop star with a giant sword.

I'm actually intrigued as to what you think makes him unique and 'iconic'.

Alright then, if white hair is so generic, name another 10 characters with it. I mean, that should be incredibly easy, right? You only have to name 10 and yet it's so common.

The thing is, I'm not even sure if I'd call him iconic, because I think that word is ridiculously over-used, but to say his design is generic? That's fucking laughable, especially after seeing your "proof" (or lack thereof, and that includes the white hair, which I never agreed was generic). Just because there are common aspects to it and you don't like it doesn't mean it's fucking generic. That's primary school logic. What would make him generic is if he were completely unrecognisable to all but the most hardcore fans, which he simply isn't. He's an incredibly well known character and there are no others that I know of that look anything like him.

What's your next argument? Bayonetta's generic?

deim0s

Dante is hella generic. I mean, the characters in DMC2, DMC3 and DMC4 look practically all the same! derp

Generic yes. To me, DMC Dante represents one thing... Fun.

I know when I play as him it'll be fun/stylish as hell! But the DmC Dante ain't giving me that feedback throughout the game, he's carrying too much baggage.

Game would've sold a lot better if it were not a DMC game.

Agreed.

demidar

I don't know, maybe because they made a bad game? Because they called it DmC? The question was "why didn't they think Dante didn't appeal to western audiences". I gave my opinion as to why a western audience might not like Dante.

...and 2.6 million copies for a 3rd sequel? Congrats you did slightly better than Alan Wake.

My hypothesis is that DMC games are high skill, naturally leading to less people playing them. The games are hard and require some dedication.

Casuals on the other hand don't like hard things, they like being bombed with positive reinforcement and being told how awesome they are. DMC (and DmC to a lesser extent) are completely counter to that. In order to be awesome you gotta put in the work, and that leads to the game being far more satisfying when styling all over enemies who used to completely destroy you earlier, similar to Dark Souls.

Because DmC is the middleground between hardcore and casualization (and I hate using these terms), neither side are willing to accept the game, particularly because when it wears the face of DMC.

Game would've sold a lot better if it were not a DMC game.

Pein

Banned
Alright then, if white hair is so generic, name another 10 characters with it. I mean, that should be incredibly easy, right? You only have to name 10 and yet it's so common.

The thing is, I'm not even sure if I'd call him iconic, because I think that word is ridiculously over-used, but to say his design is generic? That's fucking laughable, especially after seeing your "proof" (or lack thereof, and that includes the white hair, which I never agreed was generic). Just because there are common aspects to it and you don't like it doesn't mean it's fucking generic. That's primary school logic. What would make him generic is if he were completely unrecognisable to all but the most hardcore fans, which he simply isn't. He's an incredibly well known character and there are no others that I know of that look anything like him.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhiteHairedPrettyBoy

velociraptor

DmC is waaaaaay better than Devil May Cry 4.

It's actually an awesome game. I've been playing it all week and I've been pleasantly surprised.

I also love the fact we can switch weapons real time. Makes for AWESOME combos.

Generic doesn't mean "carbon copy". If you can't see the similar design cues taken across multiple japanese video game characters/franchises then I feel bad for you.

demidar

danrteky7.jpg

He ain't pretty, he's ruggedly handsome. He's even got facial hair! That alone makes him not a pretty boy.

It's actually an awesome game. I've been playing it all week and I've been pleasantly surprised.

You could do that in DMC2, DMC3 and DMC4, or do those not count?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ninja theory did not do a good job at reinventing the series.

Jintor

danrteky7.jpg

He ain't pretty, he's ruggedly handsome. He's even got facial hair! That alone makes him not a pretty boy.

Hadn't really looked at him before properly, didn't realise his chin was so chiselled.

Really the only problem OG Dante had was that mop-hair

Haunted

danrteky7.jpg

I guess he's referring to Dante in DMC1 and DMC3 and Nero in DMC4 more than Dante in DMC4.

His DMC2 incarnation was also a lot older than the teenage douchebag of the other PS2 games.

463629-dmc2_20_super.jpg

Jathaine

I have. Though it was years ago when I first got my PS3. Could you switch weapons in real time? I'm surprised. I definitely did not remember that.

Why, yes. Yes, you could.
People aren't saying DmC's combat is dumbed down because it actually added anything good, that you can trust.

I have. Though it was years ago when I first got my PS3. Could you switch weapons in real time? I'm surprised. I definitely did not remember that.

oh man. oh wow.

Capcom PR is working. From my calculations DMC4 will be worse than DMC2 in ~2 years and we can start attacking DMC3.

velociraptor

oh man. oh wow.

Capcom PR is working. From my calculations DMC4 will be worse than DMC2 in ~2 years and we can start attacking DMC3.
The endless backtracking and repeat bosses from DMC4 is enough for me to hate the game. I've never played DMC2. DMC3 was pretty awesome, although I had to actually use an online walkthrough on a number of occasions as I often got lost.

Riposte

oh man. oh wow.

Actually I perceive praise for DMC4 to be on the rise on GAF lately. Just like it is for RE5. Always liked both, so IDK what that means...
maybe in a few years more people will like RE6. :3

Haunted

Actually I perceive praise for DMC4 to be on the rise on GAF lately. Just like it is for RE5. Always liked both, so IDK what that means...
Can't wait to get RE6 on PC and see whether you're right or crazy.

The endless backtracking and repeat bosses from DMC4 is enough for me to hate the game. I've never played DMC2. DMC3 was pretty awesome, although I had to actually use an online walkthrough on a number of occasions as I often got lost.

I have a hard time believing that you perceived the backtracking as "endless" or even fought the repeat bosses when you don't even remember how the character in that part played but fair enough.

I always liked DMC4 as well. The backtracking with Dante is annoying but the game smokes everything else due to its excellent combat system and you can basically rush through those levels anyway. Prettier backgrounds don't make DmC a better game because the level themselves are pretty bad from a layout perspective. Most won't even care because they only play it once or twice anyway.

DMC4 on the other hand is the kind of game that gets better the longer you play. I've only recently started to incorporate Blue Rose effectively in my combos and I had no idea you could basically "cheat" the dices. Fantastic game.

Can't wait to get RE6 on PC and see whether you're right or crazy.

Yup, this :lol

Generic doesn't mean "carbon copy". If you can't see the similar design cues taken across multiple japanese video game characters/franchises then I feel bad for you.

Did I say that it meant that? No. Generic means that something is common or ordinary, words that you'd have to be insane to use to describe Dante.

Are there common traits used to design Dante? Of course but character design isn't about one or two traits, it's about the sum of the parts. And if you think western games aren't guilty of the exact same thing then you're the one that really needs pity.

The funny thing about this argument is that I wasn't even that concerned about the idea of a reboot or new character design, what turned me off was Ninja Theory's involvement. I'd already already been fooled into buying Heavenly Sword and had rented Enslaved, so I knew that they were fucking clueless when it came to gameplay mechanics. At that point, why the fuck would I buy a DMC game?

That's cheating. Though it doesn't even fit with his argument anyway, as it clearly shows that white hair is pretty common in the west as well.

Top Bottom