• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know when the Vergil DLC is coming to Steam? The achievements are already in place so I assume it's soon.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Funny glitch on Mission 16. Hit one of those green boost rings at the start of the mission and Dante just kept flying until he hit a wall and got stuck there. Had to restart.

Finished DMD. Have to say Super Dante is pretty hilarious. Enemies spawning right into the air, had one get stuck in the ceiling.

ROFL at the manga summary.

I guess Kat is the greatest greater that ever greated in the great city of Greaten or something. She's special snowflake'd to the max.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finished the game last night.
Had some VERY cool ideas that they largely failed to capitalize on.

Boring combat.
Terrible bosses.
Some neat standard enemy situations.
Atrocious level design.
Nasty character aesthetics.
Some really cool environmental visuals.

Not nearly as bad a game as I feared.
But not a good game either.

Think I'll be revisiting Bayo soon.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Mission 12 was completely different (there is not a single concept of the Under Siege level we have), and looks like it would explore what we saw in the reveal trailer. There are also some pretty neat locations and enemies.

Yes, I kept thinking how much cooler everything looked in the concept art phase. The Furnace of Souls, especially, looks way better than the final product.

I still think DmC2 could be really interesting, as much as I want DMC5.

i0wzNXsVVNgUc.gif

I got
Vergil
in his DT form first time playing, then he got all his fuckin' heatlh back suddenly. I was just wailing on him for a few minutes and noticed nothing happen, so I had to restart
KuGsj.gif

Im not going to pile on Ninja theory for glitches. If it wasn't for glitches we wouldn't have things like distortion, Jump cancelling and lets be real, the whole DMC series itself.

What I will say is none of the glitches found in the game so far have led to improvements in gameplay.

Dahbomb

I don't know man that mid air two some time glitch that Brea was doing is swag. As is the gun charge glitch discovered by Chaser.

Oh and the "Superman".

Im not going to pile on Ninja theory for glitches. If it wasn't for glitches we wouldn't have things like distortion, Jump cancelling and lets be real, the whole DMC series itself.

What I will say is none of the glitches found in the game so far have led to improvements in gameplay.

Yeah, jump canceling actually opened up a ton of options, while this is just silly stuff that makes me angry.

I don't know man that mid air two some time glitch that Brea was doing is swag. As is the gun charge glitch discovered by Chaser.

Oh and the "Superman".

hmm. I thought the twosome the glitch looked too janky. Still, you have a point.

haven't seen the chaser glitch

The "I must go, my people need me" is just funny lol

Dahbomb

It was a feature in DMC3 but an exploit in DMC1. Stuff like Shotgun hiking (which was the first example of jump cancelling in a DMC game) decimated some enemies.

Enemy step has always been in a DMC game I am talking about using it to cancel recovery on attacks in mid air.

They showcased jump cancel/enemy step during the E3 reveal of DMC3 in the Swordmaster portion.

EDIT: I think the whole system of angel/devil weapons tied to the shoulders is kind of busted. It just confuses my brain. Maybe I'm retarded, but I still fuck it up sometimes. The worse is when I push circle instead of square after switching from angel to devil.
I felt the same way playing the demo, so I switched Demon Mode from RT to LB for the full game. Feels so much better, as does dodging(though it doesn't feel as responsive on triggers as it is on bumpers).

KevinCow

Banned
I felt the same way playing the demo, so I switched Demon Mode from RT to LB for the full game. Feels so much better, as does dodging(though it doesn't feel as responsive on triggers as it is on bumpers).

I also did this, though it was mainly so I could map guns to RT.

I also moved Attack and Launcher to X and Y instead of Y and B. I'll never understand why Kamiya thinks Y and B should be the attack buttons.

KorrZ

Only changes I made to controls was to swap Attack and Shoot to X and Y respectively. Also, mapped gun special to down on the d-pad.

Lijik

Not just the final fight, throughout the whole game. Enemies freeze way too often.

Other than Dante's Jacket clipping through his body in one cutscene, I've lucked out and haven't seem to have encountered anything except against the final boss who loves to freeze in midair and suddenly gain back all of his health and become invincible instead of transitioning to his final phase when i get his health down low enough

EDIT- Actually the Mundus Spawn not doing anything while I do a 2x Eryx -> Trinity Smash -> Repeat combo is probably a glitch, its just not as obviously fucking busted like the other examples I noted

KevinCow

Banned
I once had a ninja freeze, so I decided I was gonna walk up and hit him with a fully charged uppercut.

But when I got close, he suddenly came back to life and started slicing me.

Fuckin' mindgames, man.

The difference is tabulated due to these expenses. Development costs, licensing, shipping, production, console fees, retailer cuts, buy-back expenses, marketing etc. These are the "dynamics" you speak of.

There have been numerous break downs on profit margrins for a 60 dollar game before. All games are sold to retailer at wholesale. (In japan, it's actually more expensive for the retailers since games costs more there). The retailer marks up by (last I checked) 10 dollars. Multiple sources indicate that on average usually 40 to 60% ends up directly to the publisher. I even gave the game no beneficial treatment since I assumed less than 50% goes to Capcom, which is an absolute low end estimation. Which would be about 35 million USD if the game ships 1.2 million in a month. From that 35 million, you have development costs and marketing. When you start talking about games that cost 50 million plus to make, you're really narrowing it out down to the biggest budget games this generation. No DMC game has any kind of production budget higher than that.

Next, just because a game doesn't hit target figures doesn't mean it failed to break even. Furthermore, target figures are designed for shareholders to advertise distinctive profits, the kind of thing they want to see. Target numbers are not break-even points, they are not small profit margrins, they are distinctive scenarios where profits are significant. You don't lie to shareholders, but you always assume best case scenarios when you project expected figures. Target numbers are never based off "break-even" point. Meaning, even if the game under-hits it's initial sales figures, even grossly, it's still likely that it broke even or came close to. It just won't make the kind of profit that Capcom would have hoped for.

None of which indicate Capcom is in "trouble." It's been debuting at number 1 spot in all regions and while this is subjective to what other games are released that month, a very strong argument can be made that the market determined the sales of the game, not so much 'fan reception'. I.e, somebody could easily make the claim that if there was a DMC5 released in January 2013, that it too wouldn't sell anywhere near as much as DMC4. DMC4's sales were over-inflated, it was Capcom's first big next gen game in a franchise, hyped, multiplatform, and sought to redifine action games. In the end, DMC4 failed to even redefine itself since it was inferior to DMC3. Also, DMC4 had the benefit of following up DMC3, which is probably still the best action game ever made. Notice, that DMC3 is also the worst performing DMC game sales wise along with DmC, and DMC3 was coming off of DMC2.

DmC sales are ultimately more mirrored to DMC3. And both share similar scenarios. Both released at the end of a consoles life span in that generation. Both were follow ups to disappointing DMC games (2 and 4 respectively). But the benefit of DmC, is that it's multiplatform, and it's got a great PC port. It also has priced DLC which will - even if marginally, detract from retailer buy backs and generate profit whenever Vergil's DLC hits.

The likely scenario is that DmC will outperform DMC3, even when you include the special editions sales.

I also expect, or would find it wise for Capcom to release a Wii-U port. Aren't many action games on the platform (or any worth while games at all) and Bayo 2 is a ways to go. They could implement improvements and fixes to improve the game (lock-on, and other fan complaints such as color coded enemies) while including all additional DLC content out of the box. They can dick around with the novelty of the controller however they want.

I always thought jump cancel (in DMC3) was a feature rather than a glitch... I mean you buy it to be available in DMC4.

It was. Enemy Step was a novel concept added to action games in DMC1. While animation cancels (which is the broader concept we're talking about) may seem unintentional in DMC1, there are so many scenarios of animation canceling in DMC1 that it's unlikely nobody noticed it. Grenade Rolling, canceling Dante's alastor attacks to basically infinitely chain his first two attacks without delay, jump cancel shotgun an enemy to death and on.

Given the high fidelity of game design in DMC1, these concepts had to have been known. I figure Kamiya left over-powered elements in DMC1 with the notion that if one figured it out, they are already on the cusp of mastering the game anyway, and should accordingly be rewarded with OP mechanics.

The only real fuck up Kamiya had IMO in balance design was RHOH with slow-down in Viewtiful Joe. It's all you ever need once you got it.

Just finished this a few minutes ago...such a good game. 8/10 for me. The final boss confused me:
Once Vergil spawns his clone (the first time) when you hit the clone, Vergil gains health. So when Vergil was on one knee and his clone fought for him I figured you had to evade him until Vergil gets up and fights back. NOPE. I restarted and figured instead of evading you had to kill the clone and THEN kill Vergil. 25 minutes later...realizing it was just dragging on I paused and looked it up on YouTube to see wtf I was doing wrong. The first thing I see is the guy using Devil Trigger (when Vergil's clone fights for him) so I did that and I won. THAT'S ALL I HAD TO DO!? GODDAMNIT I SEMI RAGED SINCE IT WAS A COOL BOSS FIGHT BUT WTF!!!

http://i.imgur.com/EiEtPPc.jpg

3:45 after 25 minutes of raging. Worth it. Fucking awesome game.

Dahbomb

Nelo Angelo could be looped to death, I seriously doubt Kamiya knew it was possible in the game back then. He probably didn't know of double Meteor hit on Griffin either. He makes great games but they are not without balance/exploit issues either.

At this point it's pure speculation to say whether DmC was a profitable venture for Capcom or not. Their break even point could be over 3 million or under 1 million... it's hard to say. I just can't imagine Capcom being happy with the overall sales considering they had to slash down their projections almost by half. And they engineered the basis of this reboot to take a shot at that 5 million mark. It's possible that the bank they made with DMC4 allowed them to take a risk with the series sort of like what happened with DMC2 to DMC3. DMC2 succeeded as a crash grab which allowed the series to be reborn with DMC3.

I just want a formal statement by Capcom on the future of DMC. Whether it made profit or lost money is not as important as what we are getting next from the series... if we are getting anything at all.

I don't know if selling about as many copies as DMC5 would have in the same situation is any consolation, since it sort of negates the whole point of rebooting it (outside of gaining Dragon's Dogma, I suppose). As for the future of DMC, I don't think even Capcom knows. They mentioned that DMC5 wasn't off the table, but that means absolutely nothing within context, and it would've been pretty shocking if they denied the possibility.

DmC was an idea Capcom had back before Megaman died, RE became a clusterfuck, and Capcom didn't have a reputation for these sorts of business decisions, so I'm really curious how Capcom decides to move forward as a whole. Any decision about the franchise is going to be part of a broader Capcom initiative post-RE6, I'd imagine.

Dahbomb

Tameem also hasn't posted on his twitter for almost a month.

There was also a rumor that NT was looking for a new creative director.

It should also be noted that under their credentials for this new creative director they are asking for someone who has experience in 3rd person action/adventure games.

I could see him leaving to pursue another career path or something given all the negativity he has had thrown his way. Maybe something were he has more freedom over his projects, etc..

ezekial45

Banned

It should also be noted that under their credentials for this new creative director they are asking for someone who has experience in 3rd person action/adventure games.

And? Just because they're hiring another CD doesn't mean he's out.

BadAss2961

Nintendo to outsource Zelda U to Ninja Theory. Directed by Tameem and Andy Serkis.

maurylaughing5nu8o.gif

Oh shit :lol

I read the Vergil synopsis... I didn't think it'd take much for NT to establish a world more narratively rich than OG DMC. Clearly I was wrong.

edit: I doubt Tameem is going anywhere.
To a bar..to get laughed out :/

seriously, i could see him shouldering the blame and exiting stage left on his OWN accord.

ezekial45

Banned
So they are going to have two CDs on their pay roll?

I don't know how the hell NT is staying afloat much less expanding themselves while other dev studios are disappearing.

Anyway this is the original article:

http://gamingio.com/2012/12/rumor-ninja-theory-hiring-suggests-assembly-of-a-second-team/

They're independent. If publishers want them, they'll continue to get work. And since DmC was a top scoring game, that'll continue to happen. And yes, you can have multiple CDs. They expanded to include a mobile division, and this new CD is for their upcoming game console/PC title. Antoniades is probably working on being the studio head and taking a step back.

Dahbomb

This is sounding like DmC2 for next gen but Tameem might not be at the helm of it. It would be for the better, he is not a good fit for this series. For them to have another project lined up means Capcom stuck with them.

Might as well start listing what I want for DmC2 if it's coming.

Apdiddy

I rented DMC over the weekend and I was playing it on Nephilim difficulty with no trouble whatsoever.

Except for the boss fight from Mission 14. I keep dying even on Human mode.

Who's bright idea was it to have the entire room be BLUE AND have the angel latch on point be blue too? Not to mention the entire room be nearly pitch black. That makes attacking and evasion a bit tougher than it should be.

There's some interesting ideas although a lot of the levels, backgrounds, enemies, etc. feel a bit half-way. The only time I felt the game really 'clicked' was during the section where
Dante traveled to Limbo to gain access to the Raptor News HQ and fight Bob Barbas demon. The gameplay, the look of the game, and the feel of it felt perfect at that point.

Top Bottom