• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

Man this thread is going to die out soon. We have run out of things to talk about and the community is more interested in exploiting the game through glitches than doing anything spectacular. Even the mods have been so-so. After NPD and Vergil Downfall this thread will be lost forever in the annals of GAF.

Man this thread is going to die out soon.

Just like this series

jXjfvr0qnhvPZ.PNG

Chamber

love on your sleeve
'Tis quite the gap between first and second.
Capcom and Ninja Theory spent so much on money hats for Dahbomb, they couldn't advertise the game.

But yes, after DMD there isn't anything to do in the game. Bloody Palace will help but there isn't much longevity in the game's combat.

It's unfortunate that people who enjoyed this game don't seem particularly interested in discussing it, as a whole. They'll just post one comment about how awesome the game is, and usually leave a parting shot about the fanbase or the old games, which'll just mean 3 more posts from Dahbomb attempting to correct the misunderstanding (which is usually fruitless since the dude never visits the thread again).

I hope after the NPD thread and the DLC drops, Capcom announces a "game of the year" edition, just so the haters can come back out of the woodwork and revive the thread.

Capcom and Ninja Theory spent so much on money hats for Dahbomb, they couldn't advertise the game.

But yes, after DMD there isn't anything to do in the game. Bloody Palace will help but there isn't much longevity in the game's combat.

It was money well spent on Dahbomb. ;)

Man this thread is going to die out soon. We have run out of things to talk about and the community is more interested in exploiting the game through glitches than doing anything spectacular. Even the mods have been so-so. After NPD and Vergil Downfall this thread will be lost forever in the annals of GAF.

Honestly I never believe this game would of lasted longer than it has, but I dud think it would of had its own fanbase that talked about it as much as we do the old games.

Apart from the people who popped up with the occasional "oh I really like this game" single posts, the majority of the people who have been in this thread who are pro-DmC have just spent their time trolling the fanbase or white knighting Ninja theory.

No real exploration of tech, no new ideas, no swag combos.

This thread has been dominated by OG DMC-GAF and really has just been a platform for Dahbomb to spread his gospel.

I still think it was odd that BP didn't ship with the game in the first place.

And damn, I didn't know he was sell-out.

Veelk

Banned
This thread has been dominated by OG DMC-GAF and really has just been a platform for Dahbomb to spread his gospel.

It's NT's fault for putting nothing but the most thread bare of motivations for characters and didn't spend any time on the lore of the game. Besides the gameplay, that's what kept the OG community alive.

I think we could have a more expansive discussion on the lore of Ninja Gaiden than we could of DmC.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Dahbomb also liked Darksiders 2 combat system,and then it bombed and THQ and Vigil died.

Dahbombacurse.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Honestly I never believe this game would of lasted longer than it has, but I dud think it would of had its own fanbase that talked about it as much as we do the old games.

Apart from the people who popped up with the occasional "oh I really like this game" single posts, the majority of the people who have been in this thread who are pro-DmC have just spent their time trolling the fanbase or white knighting Ninja theory.

No real exploration of tech, no new ideas, no swag combos.

The type of fan Capcom and Ninja Theory set out to appeal to are not ones who would be interested in talking about tech and posting their own combo videos. You don't see that stuff in God of War threads either. It's about set pieces and how cool that one moment was.

Dahbomb

I am honestly the only one at times keeping this thread going. I do it on IGN too from time to time. I see the post count of all the people who have posted in this thread and it's all people who played the previous series. Where are the new fans? You guys should be the one promoting this game, not washed up vets like myself.

For gods sake I have 1/10th of the entire posts in this thread. And I am no where near as active as I was in the DMC3/DMC4 days.

Dahbomb

Looks like Tomb Raider is going too bomb next then because I got the game pre-ordered on PC and my Doritos basket from SE has already arrived.

It's not going to go well with MGR either although PG never really put much money in their hats.

The type of fan Capcom and Ninja Theory set out to appeal to are not ones who would be interested in talking about tech and posting their own combo videos. You don't see that stuff in God of War threads either. It's about set pieces and how cool that one moment was.

But I like Both. ;_;

Chamber

love on your sleeve
But I like Both. ;_;

So do I but in general, I'd say this game failed to appeal to the hardcore DMC fan while still not doing enough to draw in more of the casual God of War/Arkham City action game fan. In the end we have a game that's sort of floating around not knowing what the fuck it wants to be.

This is why I thought the 2 million projection was laughable. Where were those people coming from?

Solune

Dahbomb: You showed up
GAF: You sure know how to market a game, Bad Combat, No Advertising, And only DLC is left
Dahbomb: My sincerest apology gaffer, Ninja Theory was so excited they couldn't concentrate on preparations for the bash.
GAF: Whatever, at any rate it's been 5 years since the last DMC how bout a kiss before joining Megaman.

Dahbomb

So do I but in general, I'd say this game failed to appeal to the hardcore DMC fan while still not doing enough to draw in more of the casual God of War/Arkham City action game fan. In the end we have a game that's sort of floating around not knowing what the fuck it wants to be.
Pretty much yea but of course people are going to point at DMC4 and the tailend of the generation + economy as reasons why this game isn't doing well.

I never walked away from DMC4 thinking I might never play a DMC game again but I did for DMC2. Most people feel that way, they might not think it was as good as DMC3 but they would've shelled out money for DMC5 if the issues were fixed. That's why I don't think you can make the DMC2 to DMC3 comparison with DMC4/DmC, DMC4 is leagues better than DMC2 and didn't kill the fanbase. I could actually argue that DmC was worse for the fanbase and the next DMC game might suffer (if it's not DmC2).

Curufinwe

I happened to read this DmC review for the first time today, and felt like it nails my main issues with the game.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/game/xbox-360-ps3/dmc-devil-may-cry

DmC feels very vulgar, and frequently a little gross, for no purpose other than someone somewhere got the idea that "cool" and "profane" were synonymous and they haven't been able to shake it. The issue isn't puritanical, it's to do with a pervasive sense the writing isn't swearing because it wants to, it's swearing because the game wants, desperately, for its player to think it is edgy, as if there is anything edgy about cursing in the 21st century. It's not offensive, just forced, just too... obvious. There's barely anyone, even the good guys, who refers to a female character without calling her a bitch or a whore. That's the actual problem: there ain't no subtlety.

And haven't we outgrown that? Is this what people think we want? Because the first Devil May Cry ended with Dante shooting a tentacled stone statue to death before making a daring escape in a biplane. It was foolish, but it was sincere in its foolishness. It certainly didn't have the temerity to crib a substantial portion of its plot from They Live, with "OBEY" painted in big block letters across the demon dimension. Ninja Theory avoids its proclivity towards scenery chewing antagonists, for the most part, but there's still plenty of gross-out art design that induces eye-rolls and head-shakes. This makes it hard to take seriously the decent writing (tension between Dante and Vergil, Dante's quasi-romantic relationship with Kat) amid the chaff of acid-vomiting bosses, and threats of fists shoved up asses, and jokes about fat people.

Maybe neither side of the argument "wins," because DmC isn't good enough to stifle its outraged detractors, nor is it anywhere near bad enough to prove the teeth-gnashing and breast-beating was worth the effort. It's decent. It is above average. It has some strong parts, and some not so strong parts. It's probably worth investing a weekend in if you're the sort of person who likes games where you get a sword and use it to kill a whole bunch of unambiguously evil bad-guys, and if you think a witch who spray-paints her spells is a neat idea, and if you can stand its inexplicable compulsion to force swear words out of its characters' mouths. In that respect, DmC achieves its goals. In its most crucial elements -- the ones where your homing shuriken strips away a witch's invulnerability bubble as you dodge her erupting ice stalagmites while pummeling a chainsaw guy with your molten fists -- it is successful enough to call it good.

But the other parts we loved about Devil May Cry? Dante's cocky-cute stupidity? The running about and exploring and looking for secrets? All of that is gone, or made irrelevant by sheer lack of desire. Nearly every mission has doors locked by power-ups Dante has yet to acquire, placed there for replay value with the expectation you'll be coming back again and again. But is it worth the bother? These levels were okay enough to pass through once, and their enemies were certainly fun enough to kill the first time around, but it's hard to think of a pressing reason to go back for more.

Anteater

I am honestly the only one at times keeping this thread going. I do it on IGN too from time to time. I see the post count of all the people who have posted in this thread and it's all people who played the previous series. Where are the new fans? You guys should be the one promoting this game, not washed up vets like myself.

For gods sake I have 1/10th of the entire posts in this thread. And I am no where near as active as I was in the DMC3/DMC4 days.

The old fans are probably the ones that bought the game.

The 10 people new to the series doesn't care!

Not related to DmC, but I figured some of you guys should know this.

How well does the PS3 port of Bayonetta play with the patches? I have played the Xbox 360 version for about 80 hours and now my 360 is pretty much dying.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The old fans are probably the ones that bought the game.

The 10 people new to the series doesn't care!

I think the major miscalculation people had pre-release was the belief that only the "hardcore" would care about the new look and dumbed down combat

When I think the casual fan is probably who cared the most. The kind of people that won't follow the game on message boards and make buying decisions on a first impression/passing glance.

They see it looks nothing like the old games they may have enjoyed and decided they weren't interested in this new product.

At least that's my theory for why the game didn't do so well. I think the combat is irrelevant. When it comes to long running franchises people just want what's familiar.

Dahbomb

Casual fans of DMC aren't buying DmC because Dante doesn't look like Dante. They see the box art and just pass on the game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not related to DmC, but I figured some of you guys should know this.

How well does the PS3 port of Bayonetta play with the patches? I have played the Xbox 360 version for about 80 hours and now my 360 is pretty much dying.

The patches fixed my main problem with the original release which were the absurd fucking load times.

PS3 version runs closer to 30 fps than 60 but if that's the only choice you have, go for it. Bayonetta is still Bayonetta.

The patches fixed my main problem with the original release which were the absurd fucking load times.

PS3 version runs closer to 30 fps than 60 but if that's the only choice you have, go for it. Bayonetta is still Bayonetta.

Alright I may give a shot with the patches applied. I don't know if I can play a less perfect version of it after playing it for ages.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Alright I may give a shot with the patches applied. I don't know if I can play a less perfect version of it after playing it for ages.

Yeah, to be honest it probably helps me a lot that I only played the demo on 360. I still can't get over my Dual Shock attachment for these kind of games.

Yeah, to be honest it probably helps me a lot that I only played the demo on 360. I still can't get over my Dual Shock attachment for these kind of games.

Its strange, but Bayonetta is probably the only game that I would prefer playing with an Xbox 360 controller. It just feels so perfectly tailored to the controller itself. Dodging with a dualshock controller's R2 just doesn't feel the same. It may be just me though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Casual fans of DMC aren't buying DmC because Dante doesn't look like Dante. They see the box art and just pass on the game.

yeah that's what I'm saying

I just think that's interesting compared to alot of predictions prerelease that the game would do well because the masses don't care what Dante looks like. Just the "vocal minority" will hold grudges or whatever.

When in actuality the opposite turned out to be true. The hardcore fans are the only ones still playing while the game was largely passed over by more casual fans

Riposte

I don't get how they just put demon dodge into this game as is. It's so good lol. I'm pretty sure I just one shot all the phases of the final boss (sucked) by using demon dodge and trillion stab aftering dodging.

Vergil should not have "turned" in this game. Pretty much no reason for it. Also his animation is terrible lol. Looks silly.

I think the major miscalculation people had pre-release was the belief that only the "hardcore" would care about the new look and dumbed down combat

When I think the casual fan is probably who cared the most. The kind of people that won't follow the game on message boards and make buying decisions on a first impression/passing glance.

They see it looks nothing like the old games they may have enjoyed and decided they weren't interested in this new product.

At least that's my theory for why the game didn't do so well. I think the combat is irrelevant. When it comes to long running franchises people just want what's familiar.

The problem DmC faced is that I think Capcom or NT figured the series was handicapped by the very things that fans enjoyed about it, and actively tried to undermine the foundations of the franchise to make it more appealing. For example, SF4 did well by being a complex competitive game that the vast majority of fighting game veterans were atleast willing to play, but the game itself didn't assume the player has played a fighting game outside of maybe SF2 on the SNES. 90% of the issues with DmC could've been solved by making it a side-story meant to ease people into the franchise, and possibly make people invested in the series without asking them to play the rest of the games. DMC4 was on the right track with Nero, except they never really finished the game they set out to make, I suppose.

Veelk

Banned
I don't get how they just put demon dodge into this game as is. It's so good lol. I'm pretty sure I just one shot all the phases of the final boss (sucked) by using demon dodge and trillion stab aftering dodging.

Vergil should not have "turned" in this game. Pretty much no reason for it. Also his animation is terrible lol. Looks silly.

No, Vergil was fine in that he thought that there should be a ruler. I think he'd fail because he sucks, but there is not much wrong with his philosophy. What went wrong here is that Dante feels like he needs to protect humanity. He should have just said "Whatever, bro." and the next game will show how power corrupted Vergil and Dante is on a mission to take him down.

Lijik

The full review Curufine post is well-worth a read. A fair assessment and I feel the the final chunk posted is actually the weakest part of the article (or at least comes off as iffy when shown out of full context)

Yup.
That terrible article admonishing people not buying it because of Dante's look made it to my tumblr dashboard and the OP said that wasnt the reason, it was about the gameplay - but, everyone else was complaining about how Dante's looks, how he was ruined and posted pics from the initial reveal.

I think I posted about this in the DmC sales thread - here on gaf, of course we're more interested in the 30fps debacle or if Ninja Theory can produce an action game with competent gameplay, but I feel like most casual fans saw that first trailer went "Nope" (as most everyone did), and then never looked back.

Jathaine

No, Vergil was fine in that he thought that there should be a ruler. I think he'd fail because he sucks, but there is not much wrong with his philosophy. What went wrong here is that Dante feels like he needs to protect humanity. He should have just said "Whatever, bro." and the next game will show how power corrupted Vergil and Dante is on a mission to take him down.

By the end of the game, Dante didn't seem like the "whatever bro" type anymore, especially given that ruling humans also meant ruling over Kat (who Dante clearly saw as an equal).
That would have made even less sense than the current mess we got.

Dahbomb

I have asked all the people I know who bought DMC4 but didn't buy DmC.

Everyone said that they didn't like new Dante/preferred old Dante. Some wanted to see the story of Nero continue. Of the people who played the demo, they didn't like the "fuck you" cutscene and felt while the game play was solid it didn't feel as smooth as before.

I ask them about specific differences like hard lock on, framerate issues, the gravity of the game but they couldn't comment on it. Most also said that since they could easily beat SOS the game play felt dumbed down. Only a couple people pointed out that the style rank didn't drop like previous games.

Most people don't think it's a bad game at all from the demo but they are hard pressed to put down 60 bucks on it. A lot of people really just rejected the game based off the initial reveal and forgot all about it as there was no real hype around it.

legacyzero

Banned
I love this game. I regret what little anger that I had about it in the beginning. It's just awesome.

I still love you OG Dante

Riposte

I'm saying they should have done it next game.

Also some of the cutscenes in this game are stretched out too long. The trade scene for one. Definitely the faceoff before the final boss with the cliche camera angles. Funny.

Guess Who

Banned
By the end of the game, Dante didn't seem like the "whatever bro" type anymore, especially given that ruling humans also meant ruling over Kat (who Dante clearly saw as an equal).
That would have made even less sense than the current mess we got.

Yeah, making Dante not give a shit when Vergil is all "the path is clear for us to rule!" would've been totally against the themes being developed. Kat is the main representative for humanity as a whole in the story, and Dante is pretty clearly shown to care for her, so that alone would make Dante being cool with Vergil trying to rule suspect. Not to mention the tremendous punk culture influence throughout the whole game, and just general anti-authoritarian overtones.

Dahbomb

Alright so since this thread is nearing it's tail end and since most people have beaten the game on DMD mode I think it's about time we do some real post-mortem analysis on what we would want for DmC2 if such a game existed. We already had a thread about DMC5 on GAF so it's time to put our heads together for DmC2.

The following post will have MAJOR SPOILERS so don't read ahead if you haven't beaten the game.

*I think with the game finishing off with the rift between demon/human world vanishing it creates a universe more like the original DMC series where demons randomly pop up to terrorize people and Dante sets up shop to hunt down demons as a job. I feel like starting off Dante should be well established or at least about to establish his shop.

*It's no shock that Dante should have the trademark red coat and white hair from the get go. He already has the white hair and he can just wear a red coat. Just don't have him running around with no shirt on, that's stupid even in DMC3. They can model his face back to Tim Phillips for all I care but they need to have that OG Dante look. The game's first impression is going to go a long way in repairing the relationship with the fans.

*I don't really care what story angle they use or what gimmick they use to replace the whole "They Live" plot line but they really need to delve more into the Angel side of the lore and the whole rest of the demon kings stuff. There are more powerful demons and entity out there including Sparda who I want to see play a bigger role. I want NT to actually address what the amulets actually do.

*Vergil has to come back of course (rule of Vergil etc) but he needs to have new motivations and have a darker character. I really hope the Downfall DLC improves Vergil as a character but at the very least they can use the excuse of a sequel to man his ass up. I want DmC2 to start off with Dante going on what appears to be a run of the mill mission only to be intercepted by Vergil who leaves him beaten badly. I want Vergil to be menacing/threatening again and be on Dante's level in terms of power level.

*I want a real fucking Devil Trigger this time for both Vergil and Dante... none of this Quicksilver/Doppelganger stuff which are supposed to be styles not DT. I want Dante to experience a near death experience and push himself to the next level. Vergil should've had his DT experience in the Downfall DLC. I know this treads too much in the path of DMC3 but this has to happen because the DT provided in DmC is booty butt cheeks.

*They are obviously going to keep the platforming in favor of puzzle, I just want to see more variety and tools added to the platforming. Give me a wall run for starters and add on top of this like temporary flight/gliding etc. Tone down the ratio as well of platforming to combat.

*I say this as part of every DMC wish list but I will say it again... I want more aggressive AI in my DMC enemies. I want to be on my toes even against the regular grunts. I want more enemies like Drek/Dreamrunners. And please delete those god awful color coated enemies from the game. I never want to see that type of enemy in an action game ever again.

*More humanoid, middle sized bosses less gimmicky huge size bosses. I want an actual challenge to the bosses this time around along with more complexities to them. Please no cutscene interruptions during bosses. I am fine with one or two of them for when you have to fight different stages of a boss but not when it's the same boss but you bringing it down to 1/4th health and a pseudo QTE pops up where you have to pull its eye or some shit.

*I don't mind the return of the Demon/Angel weapon stance stuff but I want more Demon/Angel weapons and I want to see more regular type weapons as well aside from Rebellion. One of the dodge buttons should be replaced by a Lock on. They can keep the universal lock on button to O and a universal dodge button... but give me my ability to lock on. This way we can have Stinger back to R1 + Forward + /\ like it fucking should be. This way a person can play like a scrub if they want and mash buttons to do cool combos but the better players will have access to better moves with more precision and we can actually see how much health enemies have for once. I also want to see more Angel/Demon abilities like they should add a Demon equivalent of Angel Glide.

*It's a long shot but I want more environment aesthetics like DMC1. Mostly gothic stuff. I want DmC2 to move away from the punk style and more to this gothic style that is what made people love DMC so much back in the day. I want cathedrals and castles instead of cities and factories. I also want to see more heaven/angel inspired environments along with environments based in a demonic world/hell.

*Bring back Taunts. Easy as fuck to implement, there should be no excuse for this.

*60FPS standard on consoles. So Capcom/NT can excuse themselves from the embarrassment of the "feel of 60FPS".

*Long shot but I want more open environment design. I feel as a sequel to DmC it's too early for this as they just got their formula down that worked but this is going to be the 5th game in the series and technically it's running on the same formula since DMC1. They have to shake things in this department and they really have to design the whole game around the Devil Hunting mission structure of acquiring missions.

*Tone down the cutscene ratio in the game especially during combat. I absolutely do not mind cutscenes at the start and at the end of a mission but if I have to deal with unskippable cutscene after every combat scenario it starts to become nauseating. Really kills the replayability of the game.

*Style meter should work like in older games which was more based on raising style based on style points generated by individual moves on a case by case basis as opposed to just make style points proportional to damage. I know this method is easier to grasp for newcomers but it just leads to "more damage = more style" mentality where people just abuse Demon Dodge for the damage buff leading into more style. In DMC3 for example, Jam Session didn't do that much damage but raised your style to insane amount and that was balanced fine. In DmC, Drive both raises style a lot while also doing a ton of damage. Style should also decay all the way down to D.

*More subtle things need improving to make it more like OG Dante. Combat needs a faster pace by speeding up the Demon/Angel pulls, removing recovery on some of the moves, removing the hit pause nonsense, speeding up Rainstorm/Inverse Rainstorm, increase the gravity, make enemy step like old enemy step, tighter hit boxes etc. Just essentially a lot of frame data/hit box balancing that would go a long way in polishing the game's combat.

*The mission ranking system should incorporate in damage taken as a parameter. Once they incorporate this in and making it a requirement that getting 0 damage would allow you to get SSS scores... it would make getting those elusive SSS something that is worthwhile and not something you get randomly just by playing. The penalty for dying/item usage should also be higher and there should be no cap for it. Anyone who dies 9 times in a mission deserves a D.

*I want more god damn modes in my DMC already. I want Mission Mode, I want customizable arenas, I want replay mode/video uploading feature and a fully featured training mode. I also wouldn't mind co-op option in these modes and Bloody Palace. And please none of this BP DLC bull shit.

*The final thing I have to say is that whatever I didn't say here FEATURE wise I want back in DmC and not removed. I want there to be loading screen tips, I want there to be a "Try" function on buying moves, I want secret missions to be available via the menu, I want to see all those various concept arts, I want the rumble/flash function on pause combos, I want "just" charge mechanic, I want Inverse Rainstorm etc. If they can improve any of these then all the better but I don't want any of this to be removed just so they can say "we are making it more like the OG games".

*More than anything.... I want a new game play innovation in DMC or some new mechanic placed in. Maybe they can have like Angel/Demon Triggers or something. I don't know what they can do but they need something that genuinely new even from previous DMC games. The Angel/Demon Trigger is not a new innovation I am talking stuff like what DMC3 did from DMC1 type of stuff or what DMC4 did after DMC3. It's too much to ask but this right here is what will make me consider DmC2 a GREAT game rather than just a good game.

*Finally they really need to hire some new writers for the story and characters. Please no more juvenile cursing or sex scenes just to be edgy. More serious tone is fine but this try hard shit needs to go. Oh and stylish action cutscenes please... I want Dante to be styling on fools again and getting into an epic duel with Vergil or something.

Lijik

*Bring back Taunts. Easy as fuck to implement, there should be no excuse for this.

I was honestly shocked they didnt put in a taunt where Dante flips off the enemies.

EDIT- I kind of hope as far as environments go, they'd aim crazier than the Nightclub level and on a more consistent basis. I know they cant really do Limbo again, but I feel like the game's environments outside of a few occasions weren't as crazy as they should have been. The sensory overload of a few of the levels were rather unique, and I think thats the area they should work on keeping DmC different instead of doing gothic cathedrals again. If a DmC 2 is entirely just "Its just DMC but slightly different!" I dont really see the point

That "Trials of St. Lucia" DLC for Dante's Inferno would be great in a game that wasn't shit. Player customizeable & online shareable series of linked combat arenas would be great. Imagine if DMC4 had that inbuilt so you can give 5 stars to my "fight 3 credos at once" map.

Marlowe89

Alright so since this thread is nearing it's tail end and since most people have beaten the game on DMD mode I think it's about time we do some real post-mortem analysis on what we would want for DmC2 if such a game existed.

Given your points (which are valid, don't get me wrong) we might as well just have DMC5 instead.

Dahbomb

Given your points (which are valid, don't get me wrong) we might as well just have DMC5 instead.
Why? I don't think a lot of stuff in there is too unreasonable. Story wise it's easier to make a DmC2 than a DMC5. Plus with DmC sort of under performing DMC5 is not going to have the budget to please even the hardcores or the casuals. I don't want low number of weapons DMC ever again.

Top Bottom