• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

ezekial45

Banned
This is sounding like DmC2 for next gen but Tameem might not be at the helm of it. It would be for the better, he is not a good fit fit this series.

Might as well start listing what I want for DmC2 if it's coming.

Slow down, it could be for something else.

antitrop

This is sounding like DmC2 for next gen but Tameem might not be at the helm of it. It would be for the better, he is not a good fit for this series. For them to have another project lined up means Capcom stuck with them.

Might as well start listing what I want for DmC2 if it's coming.
;)

7RkdDvH.jpg

YAmuBNp.jpg

antitrop

Surely i'm late, but I just noticed Tameem posting in a bunch of DMC related youtube videos.
"What you fail to realize is that as the Shakespearean ringleader of Ninja Theory, I'm the only genius in the whole fucking business. Therefore, my Dante is now the only Dante is existence and all the reviewers saying "10/10 GOTY" are the absolute monarchs of my words, of which you will become one soon when we send you a paycheck courtesy of Capcom."

Might be trying a bit too hard, but I can always appreciate a good parody account.

All the concept arts are in the game. You unlock them as you play the game.

I'm hoping to see a thematic shift in the Vergil dlc. Have they said how long it would be. If its just one mission or spread across several. Would also be nice if he had his own Bloody Palace (or someone figures out a way to hack Virgil + his enemies into vanilla DmC)

Dahbomb

Vergil in the comic comes across as a spineless coward and an even bigger dick to Kat than in the actual game. Getting scared of fighting a demon
?

Nigga grow some balls.

iavi

Vergil in the comic comes across as a spineless coward and an even bigger dick to Kat than in the actual game. Getting scared of fighting a demon?

Nigga grow some balls.

Lol haven't hit that part yet. Might have to take back what I said.

Dahbomb

I'm hoping to see a thematic shift in the Vergil dlc. Have they said how long it would be. If its just one mission or spread across several. Would also be nice if he had his own Bloody Palace (or someone figures out a way to hack Virgil + his enemies into vanilla DmC)
It should be decent length, the PR on it says that it will take several hours to beat.

They're independent. If publishers want them, they'll continue to get work. And since DmC was a top scoring game, that'll continue to happen. And yes, you can have multiple CDs. They expanded to include a mobile division, and this new CD is for their upcoming game console/PC title. Antoniades is probably working on being the studio head and taking a step back.

Continue to defend your bosses, and get a cut of NT's marketing dollars.

Gbraga

If you want to see some weird ass enemy glitches you should play with Super Dante.

Everything breaks with infinite Devil Trigger

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Hopefully the Vergil DLC is a complete experience. I'm talking dialogue, (skippable) cutscenes, etc. I would ask for boss fights but they'd probably be shit anyway. Also it'd be nice to have a fuckin release date.

Dahbomb

I just want a bad ass, manly Vergil.

You can't use Vergil in BP it's already been de-confirmed. Unless they implemented him in some how at the last minute.

Vergil in the comic comes across as a spineless coward and an even bigger dick to Kat than in the actual game. Getting scared of fighting a demon
?

Nigga grow some balls.

Oh, I like you enough to want to save your life occasionally. Welp, I'm gonna have to wipe both our memories then. Can't risk getting more power and becoming a demon

wat.

I'm not an expert on Videogame fiction but I have to draw parallel between Vergil and Death of DS2. The DS2 novel shows how much of an absoulte harass Death is, so bad that you get the impression he doesn't even need the other horsemen.

The in-game death is far more tamer.

then we have vergil. I stand by what I said before. The characterization of vergil is the single worst thing about this reboot. Worse than 30fps, worse than limited combat, worse than the revisionist attitude toward the OG series.

what they did to was probably the second most important character in the series overall and the most important character in terms of lore and plot is a fucking. Damn. Shame.

it sound like Capcom kicked them out. no more DmCs I think.

Check the date.

day before release day.

Dahbomb

The Darksiders fiction/lore generally shits on DMCs lore (both universes). Death is 100x the bad ass, smart leader type character that Vergil tries too be. He carries the souls of an entire race next to his heart and is the god damn leader of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The Darksiders fiction/lore generally shits on DMCs lore (both universes). Death is 100x the bad ass, smart leader type character that Vergil tries too be. He carries the souls of an entire race next to his heart and is the god damn leader of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Too bad Vergil has a bigger dick. Come at me, playboy.

Veelk

Banned
Really? I enjoyed playing ds2 despite a lot of problems I had, but Death being everyone's errend boy and being conflicted over a moral dilemma that made little sense didn't didn't exactly scream awesome to me.

Dahbomb

Really? I enjoyed playing ds2 despite a lot of problems I had, but Death being everyone's errend boy and being conflicted over a moral dilemma that made little sense didn't didn't exactly scream awesome to me.
That's a problem with game design not the lore or the character.

You get hints of Deaths personality in his quips that in isolation are pretty fucked up.

It's just poor game design and a even poorer ending that makes Big bad death nothing more than a errand boy.

He is x100 the nephilim that vergil is.

Veelk

Banned
That's a problem with game design not the lore or the character.

Character and game design are intertwined. It's the tone, the context, the character reactions all help define the character. DS and DmC have a similar mission structure (in that there is a guy who gives you a mission and you go do it), but in one case the mission giver is the one that comes off as the weaker person and in the other is the mission doer. Death clearly doesn't want to do any of this bullshit, and the people who give him the missions, even the ones weaker than him, are more or less unafraid of him and the tasks they give him are usually errands that they need done, but are clearly not dependant on Death to do them. By contrast, DmC has Dante, the one who goes out on missions, be painted as the more stronger one because Vergil clearly needs Dante and the world would be doomed if Dante didn't bother himself to help him out.

Also, if you seperate such a line between game design and character, then a lot of Vergil's weakness is justified. He didn't actually need to be saved while in that car mission, that was just the mission design. He totally could have beaten Mundus, it was just the mission design that had him get captured.

As for Lore, I think that DS2 also hurt that quite a bit, but I forget if that was because of Death or something else.

You get hints of Deaths personality in his quips that in isolation are pretty fucked up.

It's just poor game design and a even poorer ending that makes Big bad death nothing more than a errand boy.

I'm not sure what that means. Because Death says badass lines in his private time, he is badass? DLC Vergil won't have trouble winning you over then. Death has an awesome visual design and has a good voice actor and the game plays fun, but you can't make excuses for him like this.

Character and game design are intertwined. It's the tone, the context, the character reactions all help define the character. DS and DmC have a similar mission structure (in that there is a guy who gives you a mission and you go do it), but in one case the mission giver is the one that comes off as the weaker person and in the other is the mission doer. Death clearly doesn't want to do any of this bullshit, and the people who give him the missions, even the ones weaker than him, are more or less unafraid of him and the tasks they give him are usually errands that they need done, but are clearly not dependant on Death to do them. By contrast, DmC has Dante, the one who goes out on missions, be painted as the more stronger one because Vergil clearly needs Dante and the world would be doomed if Dante didn't bother himself to help him out.

Also, if you seperate such a line between game design and character, then a lot of Vergil's weakness is justified. He didn't actually need to be saved while in that car mission, that was just the mission design. He totally could have beaten Mundus, it was just the mission design that had him get captured.

As for Lore, I think that DS2 also hurt that quite a bit, but I forget if that was because of Death or something else.

I'm not sure what that means. Because Death says badass lines in his private time, he is badass? DLC Vergil won't have trouble winning you over then. Death has an awesome visual design and has a good voice actor and the game plays fun, but you can't make excuses for him like this.

I wasn't making excuses. I was just pointing out the the characterisation of Death In the related fiction added to the appeal of the character. Whereas the characterisation of Vergil take away from an already weak character.

The personality Death shows outside the Fetch quests iN DS2 are in line with the characterisation in the fiction, likewise the character shown in the Vergil fiction is in line with characterisation in the main game.

As its the only example of character fiction ive read in recent years, I found it interesting to compare them.

Its interesting, you should mention the moral dilemma actually, because when you read the fiction you understand a lot better why Death is so conflicted
Basically he is one of the very first Nephilim , way older than any of the others. They once travelled the realms fucking up any shit they could and they turned an entire race into weapons, just to cause as much destruction as possible. This was all Deaths idea and he made the first and most powerful versions of these weapons. One day when the Nephilim were about to take eden from both the demons and the angels, Death had a change of heart and asked the charred council for the power to stop his brothers. He was made the leader of the 4 horsemen and helped Kill every other one of his race.

He feels guilt for betraying his race, and wants to restore them, but he knows that if they were alive they would not stop till they destroyed heaven and hell

Dahbomb

There's a line you have to draw between game mechanics and actual character cutscenes/story. I don't judge Vergil riding around in his Vergil mobile but I judge when he uses a sniper rifle in a cutscene. Likewise I judge Dante from what he does in the cutscenes.. not that he can be killed by a lowly demon grunt despite being vastly stronger in strength.

Death has the same problem... this is a guy who has vanquished an entire race, defeated colossal entities yet has to take fetch quests like every other video game character just for the sake of making him go through the various dungeons.

In the case of DmC Vergil/Dante, we have the game and the one comic. No matter what you decide to use as representation of Vergil... he just comes off as a weak character. As a villain he's not threatening and he isn't compelling as an anti-hero either.

Veelk

Banned
I wasn't making excuses. I was just pointing out the the characterisation of Death In the related fiction added to the appeal of the character. Whereas the characterisation of Vergil take away from an already weak character.

The personality Death shows outside the Fetch quests iN DS2 are in line with the characterisation in the fiction, likewise the character shown in the Vergil fiction is in line with characterisation in the main game.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Characters are defined by characterization. All I get here is that you like Death's personality more than Vergils, which is something I agree with, but it doesn't make him badass, atleast not how I define it.

There's a line you have to draw between game mechanics and actual character cutscenes/story. I don't judge Vergil riding around in his Vergil mobile but I judge when he uses a sniper rifle in a cutscene. Likewise I judge Dante from what he does in the cutscenes.. not that he can be killed by a lowly demon grunt despite being vastly stronger in strength.

Death has the same problem... this is a guy who has vanquished an entire race, defeated colossal entities yet has to take fetch quests like every other video game character just for the sake of making him go through the various dungeons.

Well, we draw different lines, as I take what happens in gameplay as part of characterization. One notable part for me was when the demons were invading the Order's Headquarters, and Vergil was sitting behind the wall while a butcher was trying to get through, and when dante attacked the butcher, he was like "WTF, are you crazy?" What they should have done here was come to Vergil having slain the butcher and then have him help Dante in defeating the oncoming demons, like he did in the original DMC in the Arkham fight. He'd have accomplished himself as a capable, given Dante a reason to consider him an equal, and gave the player a reason to like him. It wouldn't even have been difficult to program since they already have Vergil as a boss and they have him as a player character, so surely they could have programmed him to target demons.

Characterization through gameplay can easily be done, atleast in the case of Vergil.

In the case of DmC Vergil/Dante, we have the game and the one comic. No matter what you decide to use as representation of Vergil... he just comes off as a weak character. As a villain he's not threatening and he isn't compelling as an anti-hero either.

I agree with this much atleast.

Dahbomb

Death: "My brother War stands falsely accused of unleashing the apocalypse upon the human race..

His fate concerns me.. Yours does not"

Bad ass as fuck line. Nothing in DmC or that novel uttered by Vergil comes even close to that.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Characters are defined by characterization. All I get here is that you like Death's personality more than Vergils, which is something I agree with, but it doesn't make him badass, atleast not how I define it.

See my edit, for a bit more further explanation.

Death: "My brother War stands falsely accused of unleashing the apocalypse upon the human race..

His fate concerns me.. Yours does not"

Bad ass as fuck line. Nothing in DmC or that novel uttered by Vergil comes even close to that.

funnily enough, that actually wouldn't be out of place coming out of OG Vergils mouth.

Spoilers:- This is a passage in the Darksiders 2 novel

Strife still held his helm in his left hand. In his right, he clutched a dreadful pistol, its quadruple barrels gaping wide, the hammer cocked back and almost quivering in readiness. War and Fury stood rigid, waiting to see if their interference was required—and, perhaps, deciding which of the pair they would support. “ ‘In the absence of the Council, I command!’ ” Strife parroted. “Says who? A lot’s changed in the five centuries you’ve been away, Death! What makes you think you can just stroll back in after all this time and take over?” Death’s hand slipped from the horn as he turned.

Leaving Harvester to lie across the saddle, he carefully, methodically, crossed the distance separating him from Strife. Each footstep seemed impossibly clear, despite the muffling of the crumbled dirt and the roaring of the distant fires. He halted scarcely an arm’s length from the four gleaming barrels, and when he spoke, his voice was preternaturally calm, almost flat. “What makes you think,” he asked his brother, “that I can’t?” Strife’s eyes and his pistol slowly turned downward, weighted down by the weight of Death’s scrutiny, aimed almost meekly at the earth.

Fury unleashed a hiss of breath, not so much in any recognizable emotion as it was the simple release of building pressure. War grunted something deep in his hood. Their elder brother had already turned away, presenting his back to them—Strife included—without apparent concern. “Did anyone else care to add anything?” he asked as he returned to his horse’s side. Oddly enough, nobody did. “Good.” Death climbed atop Despair, then held himself still just long enough for Dust to settle upon his shoulder. “Unless the Council assigns you otherwise, I’ll expect to find you either here, or in your homes, if I need call on you.”

like I said. Badass.

Veelk

Banned
Its interesting, you should mention the moral dilemma actually, because when you read the fiction you understand a lot better why Death is so conflicted
Basically he is one of the very first Nephilim , way older than any of the others. They once travelled the realms fucking up any shit they could and they turned an entire race into weapons, just to cause as much destruction as possible. This was all Deaths idea and he made the first and most powerful versions of these weapons. One day when the Nephilim were about to take eden from both the demons and the angels, Death had a change of heart and asked the charred council for the power to stop his brothers. He was made the leader of the 4 horsemen and helped Kill every other one of his race.

He feels guilt for betraying his race, and wants to restore them, but he knows that if they were alive they would not stop till they destroyed heaven and hell

That's why I call it nonsensical.
He randomly has a change of heart for no given reason (especially since he comes off as cold and callous to everyone and does not even trust the council that he serves), and is conflicted over reviving a race that will kill everyone he stands to defend as soon as they are back. Even if they somehow wouldn't do that, the first thing they would do once they are revived is tear Death apart, so he'd have to kill them all over again just out of self defense.

It's dumb.

But it's just a line. In my opinion, badassery has more to do with implementing your will in the face of difficult opposition for me. I'll grant that Death is probably still more badass than Nu Vergil because atleast he gets shit done and doesn't call up Strife/Fury or whatever to do things for him, but the fact that he clearly holds in contempt the tasks that he has to do and the people he has to do them for while still acquiescing to do them knocks him down a few pegs imo.

Dahbomb

Death is very much the embodiment of implementing your will against a difficult opposition. Minus fetch quests of course. The fetch quests aren't even difficult for him, just a means to an end.

That's why I call it nonsensical.
He randomly has a change of heart for no given reason (especially since he comes off as cold and callous to everyone and does not even trust the council that he serves), and is conflicted over reviving a race that will kill everyone he stands to defend as soon as they are back. Even if they somehow wouldn't do that, the first thing they would do once they are revived is tear Death apart, so he'd have to kill them all over again just out of self defense.

Gotta say you have a point. The reason for his change of heart is never explained.

That said, there must be a deep guilt for killing his brethren which would still explain the amulet, even if he never had any intention of reviving them.

Veelk

Banned
Gotta say you have a point. The reason for his change of heart is never explained.

That said, there must be a deep guilt for killing his brethren which would still explain the amulet, even if he never had any intention of reviving them.

Personally, I imagined that the spirits were driving him insane, since Crowfather's enter personality changed once he lost it.

Personally, I imagined that the spirits were driving him insane, since Crowfather's enter personality changed once he lost it.

Well......
the crowfathers spirit was always part of him as he is mentally bonded to Dusk who in turn is mentally bonded to the crowfather

but yes I'd imagine that is probably a factor too.

Top Bottom