• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
ni-no-kuni-us-cover.jpg

Now, THIS is a game that will BOMBA. Ugh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Khezu

Well that's good I guess.

Watching videos of it, it doesn't seem as cool looking compared to DS2, it seems a bit stiff and plain, but its not the end of the world.

Dahbomb

Going back to DS2... I felt that DS2 had a lot of juice in the combat that was left untapped by the community at large. I discovered quite a few new tech in the game not too long ago using various cancels and some skills.

ezekial45

Banned
I hadn't seen that. I was mainly talking about their previews and news articles.

That preview is interesting though. I'm kind of surprised that they've apparently put a lot of emphasis on the platforming. Even in the demo it was stiff, but at least then you really weren't as risk of dying due to the controls or the iffy camera.

Despite their criticisms, the preview is still pretty positive. But the fans who don't like this game at least appreciate concerns about the game being validated.

but yeah, the emphasis on platforming is what this game is trying do. Flesh out the experience outside of the combat. You know, bring stylish action to the traversal mechanics.

Edge gave Bayonetta a 10 and I'm sure it wasn't because of the presentation

Their take will be interesting to say the least

http://www.edge-online.com/features...-a-divine-spin-on-dante-in-dmc-devil-may-cry/

unless they do a total 180 from their last article about the game, then i'd say it'll be positive.

kayos90

Who cares, I enjoyed the demos so I'm getting both.

Well... if you care about the industry at all, it's sort of heartwrenching to know that a developer who put their heart and soul into a game that is great ends up with crappy sales numbers whereas another developers who create a game that's terrible but sells well. I'm not saying DmC is terrible. I'm just saying in this hypothetical situation, that sucks.

ezekial45

Banned
Well... if you care about the industry at all, it's sort of heartwrenching to know that a developer who put their heart and soul into a game that is great ends up with crappy sales numbers whereas another developers who create a game that's terrible but sells well. I'm not saying DmC is terrible. I'm just saying in this hypothetical situation, that sucks.

So Ninja Theory didn't do and experience the same thing? As in putting their all into this game.

Is that what you're saying?

kayos90

So Ninja Theory didn't do and experience the same thing? As in putting their all into this game.

Is that what you're saying?

I don't think you're understanding my post correctly, or have even read it all the way through for that matter.

Once again, I'm not saying that NT is making a crappy game nor am I implying that they didn't put their heart and soul into this. I'm just saying that, in the case of Ni no Kuni, this is what's going to happen. It sucks for any developer who put their heart and soul into a game and it does terribly whether from critics or sales. I believe that DmC will be a great game and it will sell. Ni no Kuni is just as great too but it won't do as well.

BadAss2961

Just because the DMC fanbase won't buy it doesn't mean the entire game will flop. Sure the fanbase contribute a fair amount of sales in video games but if they market it well and people buy it when they hear it's good, it will sell. Outselling DMC4 is definitely a possibility. Scratch that. Highly likely.
I'm just asking myself, who's going to buy this game? They're counting on attracting a wider audience, but what is going to make this more attractive than DMC4 was? So far DmC just looks like a poor imitation with story and presentation that's apparently no better than the original series (worse imo.) Huge step down from Heavenly Sword in that department.

Even when these kind of action games are good, they don't really sell all that much. They have to be great, and having a strong fanbase to back it certainly helps.

kayos90

I'm just asking myself, who's going to buy this game? They're counting on attracting a wider audience, but what is going to make this more attractive than DMC4 was? So far DmC just looks like a poor imitation with story and presentation that's apparently no better than the original series (worse imo.) Huge step down from Heavenly Sword in that department.

Even when these kind of action games are good, they don't really sell all that much. They have to be great, and having a strong fanbase to back it certainly helps.

If it's marketed well and the trailers look cool, people will buy the game. The possibility exists that this game will sell well. Also, you can't say that the entirety of the DMC fanbase won't buy it. I love DMC and I consider myself a fan of Capcom's previous DMC works but that won't prevent me from missing out on DmC.

ezekial45

Banned
I don't think you're understanding my post correctly, or have even read it all the way through for that matter.

Once again, I'm not saying that NT is making a crappy game nor am I implying that they didn't put their heart and soul into this. I'm just saying that, in the case of Ni no Kuni, this is what's going to happen. It sucks for any developer who put their heart and soul into a game and it does terribly whether from critics or sales. I believe that DmC will be a great game and it will sell. Ni no Kuni is just as great too but it won't do as well.

Alright, I misread your post. I apologize.

They probably did. Thing is, their "all" is fucking horrendous.

Now that's a fucking exaggeration.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
If it's marketed well and the trailers look cool, people will buy the game. The possibility exists that this game will sell well. Also, you can't say that the entirety of the DMC fanbase won't buy it. I love DMC and I consider myself a fan of Capcom's previous DMC works but that won't prevent me from missing out on DmC.

I won't either but I'm waiting for a steam sale to drop it under $20 before I take a chance on it. I can't say I hated the demo but I didn't like it either.

sleepykyo

It looks more cinematic and takes itself seriously. If the Walking Dead and Uncharted 2 are any indication, the big thing in gaming is to be a movie.

Dahbomb

People who have never played a DMC game before.

I know I shit on the controls and mechanics frequently but the controls/mechanics are such that anyone can pick up and play DMC and start doing fancy combos and look like a bad ass. That instant gratification is what hooks people in. The kind of combos that you can do at entry level in DmC you are not really able to do in previous DMC games until you have a solid understanding of the mechanics and a handle on the lock on system and its moves.

Shiny graphics and cool environments will bring them in more. DMC is now considered an old franchise by many, a lot of gamers started gaming with this generation and probably skipped out on DMC4. There's a lot of people I know who dig the game but have never played DMC before. I think reviews would sway them even further.

I can't begin to imagine what the casual interest in this game is.. I am NOT a casual gamer obviously.

kayos90

Alright, I misread your post. I apologize.

It's all good! =)

I know I shit on the controls and mechanics frequently but the controls/mechanics are such that anyone can pick up and play DMC and start doing fancy combos and look like a bad ass. That instant gratification is what hooks people in. The kind of combos that you can do at entry level in DmC you are not really able to do in previous DMC games until you have a solid understanding of the mechanics and a handle on the lock on system and its moves.

Shiny graphics and cool environments will bring them in more. DMC is now considered an old franchise by many, a lot of gamers started gaming with this generation and probably skipped out on DMC4. There's a lot of people I know who dig the game but have never played DMC before. I think reviews would sway them even further.

I like to call this the God of War effect except replace combos with bloody executions and gore.

BadAss2961

Not the entirety of the fanbase, just most of it. Dahbomb is probably the biggest fan here, and he's willing to give the game more of a chance than the rest of us.

You're right about marketing. It looks like Capcom is really trying here. It's just too bad they didn't do the same for their own in-house DMCs from what I remember.

kayos90

Not the entirety of the fanbase, just most of it. Dahbomb is probably the biggest fan here, and he's willing to give the game more of a chance than the rest of us.

You're right about marketing. It looks like Capcom is really trying here. It's just too bad they didn't do the same for their own in-house DMCs from what I remember.

See, I don't really buy into that. I know this is an asshat card to pull out but I think there's no real way to gauge that most of the fanbase just won't buy it or care enough to support DmC.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I find it extremely unlikely this game is bringing in more new fans than it is turning off old fans. January is a bit dead though so it does have that in it's favor.

DmC will probably do ok for itself but I strongly doubt it hits the 2 million goal.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
In Devil may Cry you play as Dante the Demon Killer (has a nice ring to it dontcha think?)

Experience the all new world of Neo Fortuna as you battle hundreds of baddies in the most kickass ways possible. Classic gameplay mechanics mixed with superior modern game design make Devil may Cry one game you won't want to miss.

Pros

- The game has a good sense of direction. You always feel like you're being led along the right path.
- Combos are much more intuitive this time around. Instead of having to vary moves to get high stylish ranking points new players can simply change weapons for massive damage and style.
- There's no more anime bs to be found in this installment. The story actually takes itself seriously and presents interesting themes of rebellion and injustice in a dystopian society (take notes Half-Life 2). The game has real messages about real life issues like energy drink consumption and Faux News (it's a pun haha)
- Characters come off as likeable with Dante and series newcomer Vergil illustrating a brother dynamic that has never been done in games before

Cons

- The artistic design of the game is weird, we would've liked to see levels that were not so colorful.
- The PC version unfortunately runs at 60 frames per second. We would advise the console version for a more cinematic experience. Devil May Cry was practically made for the Xbox 360™ pad.
- "Bloody Palace" mode is too difficult and needs a difficulty patch.

antitrop

- The PC version unfortunately runs at 60 frames per second. We would advise the console version for a more cinematic experience. Devil May Cry was practically made for the Xbox 360™ pad.
Terrible time to be a PC gamer. :( Maybe if I just underclock my CPU, GPU, and take out 90% of the RAM...

Afrocious

In Devil may Cry you play as Dante the Demon Killer (has a nice ring to it dontcha think?)

Experience the all new world of Neo Fortuna as you battle hundreds of baddies in the most kickass ways possible. Classic gameplay mechanics mixed with superior modern game design make Devil may Cry one game you won't want to miss.

Pros

- The game has a good sense of direction. You always feel like you're being led along the right path.
- Combos are much more intuitive this time around. Instead of having to vary moves to get high stylish ranking points new players can simply change weapons for massive damage and style.
- There's no more anime bs to be found in this installment. The story actually takes itself seriously and presents interesting themes of rebellion and injustice in a dystopian society (take notes Half-Life 2). The game has real messages about real life issues like energy drink consumption and Faux News (it's a pun haha)
- Characters come off as likeable with Dante and series newcomer Vergil illustrating a brother dynamic that has never been done in games before

Cons

- The artistic design of the game is weird, we would've liked to see levels that were not so colorful.

I nearly threw up reading this. RIP Devil May Cry.

kayos90

Terrible time to be a PC gamer. :(

Having seen the trailer for the game in 60FPS for the PC, I do think that playing in 60FPS will be a detriment. Animations are considerably slower and as a result the game feels slower. I think they were really trying to make the game feel fast and good at 30fps and it took a hit as a result. But we all knew this when we saw the trailer.

Pros

Cons

didn't know gaf had professional game reviewers

BadAss2961

It looks more cinematic and takes itself seriously. If the Walking Dead and Uncharted 2 are any indication, the big thing in gaming is to be a movie.
No way anyone could compare DmC to Uncharted cinematically with a straight face. From what i've seen, DMC4 actually seems to have better cutscenes and overall presentation while taking itself half as seriously. lol

I can't begin to imagine what the casual interest in this game is.. I am NOT a casual gamer obviously.
I don't think DmC's graphics will do it any favors. It looks pretty ugly on consoles imo. Many would argue that DMC4 is the better looking game, myself included.

PC version looks really nice though. 60fps really does make all the difference.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

you forgot to add "oscar quality dialogue. uses the word 'fuck' a lot, just like a real movie. that's how you know it's a serious story for grown ups."

Narcosis

Is that really the box art? :(

So DMC fans aren't going to buy DmC? Because it's not the same as it has been? Lol.

Yes, how much LOLs to be had.

Ninja Theory LOL'ed when I bought their really bad game Heavenly Sword at full price. I LOL'ed back at them when they released the demo for Enslaved that held my hand all the way through and had some of the worst performance issues I've seen in a game in recent years.

I'm also LOL'ing when I see previews for DmC that mention that the action is frequently broken up more than ever before for story sequences, which is something that turned me away from NT games in the past. If they want to make movies let them become a CGI animation studio or make long RPGs which can justify numerous cutscenes due to dozens of hours of game in each run. I played the old DMC games for gameplay alone (I managed to S rank every stage in DMC3 in DMD and I still can't give a coherent synopsis of the plot) and the fact that they've compromised it to the degree they have to appeal to fickle flavor of the month audiences which aren't buying games recently at the rate they did just a couple years ago is no skin off my back. I'll just wait for Platinum to release their hack and slash Metal Gear action game and play other shit instead until that one releases. Capcom has been fucking up alot recently and I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt anymore on anything (especially after RE6 *Barf*), and Ninja Theory never gets any benefit of doubt from me, especially in a genre where gameplay, not cinematic masturbation, is king.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They will release a commercial complete with wah wah dubstep and Dino talking like a prick, which will help it sell 4+M copies.

Top Bottom