• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

This game will definitely be around 81-84 on Metacritic, THAT I predict.
Longtime hardcore fans will keep on doing DMC4/DMC3 combo videos and reminescense about the past - rightfully so.

Some people will change over this and produce good and enjoyable combo videos. That will get shit on by some of the fans, and will be embraced by others. Rightfully so.

And from now on, every time a DMC-related thread pops up, we will all have a chance to discuss that DmC vs DMC over some chilled wine :p

How's that for a prediction?

Eh. Enslaved got into the low 80's range on Metacritic, so I'm guessing that this will get in the high 80's. Maybe even break into the low 90's.

Wary of early reviews, but I hope this is good. There's nothing coming out January that I know of but this.
Anarchy Reigns, son.

Famassu

They probably did. Thing is, their "all" is fucking horrendous.
Your kind is kinda pathetic. DmC is a perfectly competent action game. Yeah, it's 30fps and it's slightly behind older DMC games as far the design of the combat system goes, but it's fucking idiotic to say that it means this game is "horrendous". The game plays well, has a fair amount of depth and it looks great. By all accounts it's a well developed game. Just because it doesn't meet the incredibly high standards of the few other games at the top of the genre (there really aren't that many games at the top, DMC1, 3 & 4, Bayonetta and, if you can stomach the worst camera in the world, Ninja Gaiden Black) doesn't automatically mean it's shit. We aren't 7 years old anymore living in a black & white world, there are other degrees of quality than just "shit" and "god tier"

I'm glad to see it getting good reviews and I look forward to playing it, though I will understand why some folks still won't be into despite the scores.

Foffy

Banned
Can someone remind me if this is in fact the same LEVEL magazine that gave Sonic 2006 a 9/10, or was that a different source altogether?

Tizoc

Does anyone know if the PC ver. will work on a Mac? My brother's planning on getting the PS3 ver., but i would rather he get the superior 60 FPS PC ver...which would obviously be cheaper.

zoukka

Wow the reviews are almost hyperbolic in their praise. Glad to see NT improving their development and stepping uo their game with a pre-existing IP.

Then again reviews are worth shit, but it already looks miles better than their previous output.

Yeah no. Only a dipshit who couldn't grasp the controls of the previous games would think so.

Ah the fanboy hate is already flowing strong and bitter.

The PC version releases 2 weeks after console right? I guess I'll wait for impressions and then get on the GMG cashback deal if it's good.

Looks like the game could be great, but I'm not convinced yet.

Glass Rebel

Only if you prefer having a difficult time targeting enemies with Stinger for no reason. But they might have changed the controls from the demo.

Eusis

There seems to be some leaning towards a sort of soft/smart lock on, and if Dragon's Dogma is any indication we probably wouldn't see lock on either way. That's a game that probably needs it WAY more, yet it's just not there in favor of the aforementioned soft/smart lock on.

Glass Rebel

Believe or not, many people prefer something like the GOW system to lock on. Are they all dipshits?

It's been a while since I played GOW but unless it had a precision move like Stinger which is rather integral to DMC this comparison isn't really apt; GOW doesn't need hard lock on.

Edit: they're not dipshits of course :)

jett

D-Member
I'm unsurprised by the high scores, it's a really solid game, going by the demo.

Yeah no. Only a dipshit who couldn't grasp the controls of the previous games would think so.

This is a pathetic post.

Ya'll chicklets enjoy that DmC kids meal while the rest of us hommies dine on some ribs, Metal Gear Rising style.

MGR is very different from DMC, Bayonetta or any other game in the genre. I'll be playing both, oh ones.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GOW's combat doesn't need lock-on. You mash buttons and get to the next encounter.

To be fair, DmC's default difficulty is probably easier than God of War. Lack of hard lock-on isn't a huge problem unless you're playing SoS and above which I doubt these reviewers are doing.

Jawmuncher

Interesting. From what we've been shown, I would have said Ninja Theory went in the opposite direction.

Don't know what DMC games you were playing. Just went through the HD collections and 4 and the story stuff was pretty lacking. Even in 3 which has the most story going for it.

Capcom was never doing a good job with the stories and its really evident especially with 4. So many unanswered questions still lingering. Also if you say that a DMC5 would have fixed that I say look at RE. Even with all the extra content newsbot digs up those games still have huge plot holes.

jett

D-Member
I can do better than what? GOW doesn't need lock-on. DMC does.

DmC actually doesn't need lock-on.

In before "I said DMC not DmC hyuck hyuck"

And Stinger, which indeed was a bread and butter attack in past games, is not as needed in DmC because of the ability to pull yourself towards enemies with the whip thing. In any case, once you get used to the motion it's that hard to pull off consistently.

This is just another game in which any good review is "PR Bullshit" and bad reviews "keep it real".

No sane person can enjoy the game.....

Sigh...

I think the game is going to be fantastic. I think it'll be a shitty devil may cry game though. As long as you buy the game not expecting fantastic combat you'll be fine.

rvy

Banned
DmC actually doesn't need lock-on.

In before "I said DMC not DmC hyuck hyuck"

And Stinger, which indeed was a bread and butter attack in past games, is not as needed in DmC because of the ability to pull yourself towards enemies with the whip thing. In any case, once you get used to the motion it's that hard to pull off consistently.

It's needed because it's how I and hundreds of other people have been starting fights for 10 years. You can't just make it extra hard to pull it off and then say it's not needed because you get the same effect by using the whip.
My muscle memory doesn't work like that. DmC would greatly benefit from having lock-on, as opposed to having two buttons to evade. There's no benefit in removing lock-on, you waste two buttons with evade.

We'll see if this game does once it releases. And you can finish DMC games by mashing buttons too. I know I did before I learned2play them.

How did you get past Hell Vanguard by mashing buttons? Or any of the bosses?

Based on the PS3 demo, this game shouldn't be getting above 6/10. Between the super slow-paced animations, the horrid lack of lock-on causing inputs to hit random targets and the general lack of precision in the game, I'm really having a hard time trusting these reviews. Not that I expected to anyway, Dahbomb and the other DMC vets around here post far more informative stuff.

Perhaps it was just a bad demo, I don't know.

zoukka

It's needed because it's how I and hundreds of other people have been starting fights for 10 years. You can't just make it extra hard to pull it off and then say it's not needed because you get the same effect by using the whip.
My muscle memory doesn't work like that. DmC would greatly benefit from having lock-on, as opposed to having two buttons to evade. There's no benefit in removing lock-on, you waste two buttons with evade.

"My muscle memory" must be the funniest argument made for a while. I mean read what you wrote just now and try to look at it objectively :b

How did you get past Hell Vanguard by mashing buttons? Or any of the bosses?

Mashing buttons included roll (and lock ofc), point being most people will never play either game on a high level and they are the ones who sustain these games. Not saying hardcore fans shouldn't have a say, but some of you act like ten year olds with your one-liners.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This is just another game in which any good review is "PR Bullshit" and bad reviews "keep it real".

No sane person can enjoy the game.....

Sigh...

You can like the game. I like the game. It's true, however, that reviews just don't matter for certain games. I ignore these scores the same way I ignore them telling me "This is the best Madden yet guys, really!!"

jett

D-Member

Not yer muscle memoriez!

DmC plays different from previous games so your muscle memory won't be any help at all, Stinger is the least of your problems. Fact is this game plays just fine as it is right now because that's how it was designed. Lock-on wasn't removed at the eleventh hour. If you are incapable of adjusting to the controls of a new game then that's your problem.

The idea behind two evade buttons is to make it easy to evade whether you are using angel or demon weapons

rvy

Banned
Not yer muscle memoriez!

DmC plays different from previous games so your muscle memory won't be any help at all, Stinger is the least of your problems. Fact is this game plays just fine as it is right now because that's how it was designed. Lock-on wasn't removed at the eleventh hour. If you are incapable of adjusting to the controls of a new game then that's your problem.

The idea behind two evade buttons is to make it easy to evade whether you are using angel or demon weapons

You still don't need two buttons to do the exact same thing. Regardless of the combat not being designed around lock-on doesn't mean that lock-on wouldn't improve it.

I also never said the game didn't play fine, just that it benefited from having lock-on. I'm not incapable of adjusting to anything, I played the game on SoS and did just fine. I'm saying that if you've been doing one thing for the past ten years and then the sequel removes it, you feel off.
It's like playing Mario and all of a sudden your jump button is changed to something else.

Also, your attitude gets annoying after a while. Being a smartass is only funny when you're right. You can take your oh noes shit home with you.

"My muscle memory" must be the funniest argument made for a while.

And why is that? DMC games aren't much different from beat-em ups, there'd be a shitstorm if SF V didn't have QCF inputs for Hadokens. Why is this any different?

bon

Don't know what DMC games you were playing. Just went through the HD collections and 4 and the story stuff was pretty lacking. Even in 3 which has the most story going for it.

Capcom was never doing a good job with the stories and its really evident especially with 4. So many unanswered questions still lingering. Also if you say that a DMC5 would have fixed that I say look at RE. Even with all the extra content newsbot digs up those games still have huge plot holes.

The DMC games never had great stories, but the cutscenes I've seen for DmC are downright cringeworthy.

Top Bottom