• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you feel the game awards are biased?

It seems people have been really giving Geoff Keighly a hard time about nominations, even though its clear he doesn’t vote or have any say in the nominations. People seem to think Sony is over represented at the awards, this year they have 3 console exclusive games in the GOTY nominees (4 if you count the fact that the own a stake in Fromsoft), theres a good chance that some game exclusive or a game that sony have ownership of will win this award. Do you think Geoff Keighly favors sony or the jury, otherwise I don’t see why people get so up in arms about big games being nominated every year?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Of course they are biased...

Why didn't the video game 13 Sentinels win for best narrative?

There is a lot of Error, how the hell does something as garbage as Fortnite get nominated???

They are based more on popularity than on quality...

I vote for Geoff Keighly's blonde to be removed once and for all, who already liked making money on those nominations.

Not even al capone liked as much mafia as that guy.

Of course they are biased...

Why didn't the video game 13 Sentinels win for best narrative?

There is a lot of Error, how the hell does something as garbage as Fortnite get nominated???

They are based more on popularity than on quality...

I vote for Geoff Keighly's blonde to be removed once and for all, who already liked making money on those nominations.

Not even al capone liked as much mafia as that guy.

I dont think enough critics played 13 sentinels especially all the way to the end.
maybe the naked teens turned them off before they found out they were just simply babies grown in an incubation chambers going through a perpetual combat/life simulation until they were ready step out onto the new planet they were sent to

Last edited:

Oof85

I do think they're biased towards bigger productions and mainstream moments and the bread and butter of the nominations are the games that they feel bring legitimacy to the medium, which is currently big narrative games that ape Hollywood.

Like, there's no reason something like Neon White or Splatoon couldn't have replaced Stray and Horizon or Xenoblade or Ragnarok tbh.

Elden Ring was THE game this year so I get its inclusion but some titles will just never get the spotlight due to a perceived lesser status, as in multiplayer or racing games or a 2d/3d fighter.

They stop searching for validation that will never really come, the awards will be much more varied and tastes will be more well-rounded imo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont think enough critics played 13 sentinels especially all the way to the end. maybe the naked teens turned them off before they found out they were just simply babies grown in an incubation chambers going through a perpetual combat/life simulation until they were ready step out onto the new planet they were sent to
You know there are people who haven’t played the game yet, I don’t know you felt you need to spoil the story like that.

On topic: it’s no big secret that it’s popularity contest and games with sexy design almost have zero chance winning GOTY awards, these show need maintain “image”.

Last edited:

MetalRain

You cannot make award gala objective.

Game awards is still nice event and I think it's great to see new annoucements and think about the past year.

fatmarco

They're extremely biased in a lot of regards, but in the case of Xbox receiving so few nominations I think its been generally justified.

But yeah, for the rest of what's concerned? It's basically an award show where Geoff Keighly makes out with Hideo Kojima on stage one year, and then hands him an award the next degree of biased.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Who cares?

Edit: the game awards are a big commercial, those who vote on the awards are clearly biased towards single player, narrative heavy, action titles, just as the academy is biased towards art house drama’s. The smaller awards arent even given the time of day so the geoff can air more nothing burger cgi trailers for games that are at least a decade away from releasins. The whole thing is a sham

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s not about being biased, it’s about platform and IP popularity, if less people have played a game then less will vote for it. It’s the same thing here on GAF, a small game will never win an award no matter if it would be the best game ever created.

I think a bigger issue is the cutoff date being in November. Halo Infinite is a 2022 game in Geoff’s world. Cyberpunk was a 2021 game. How about just setting the rules so games from Jan 1st to Dec 31st are eligible and have the show in late January?

It’s not about being biased, it’s about platform and IP popularity, if less people have played a game then less will vote for it. It’s the same thing here on GAF, a small game will never win an award no matter if it would be the best game ever created.

I think a bigger issue is the cutoff date being in November. Halo Infinite is a 2022 game in Geoff’s world. Cyberpunk was a 2021 game. How about just setting the rules so games from Jan 1st to Dec 31st are eligible and have the show in late January?

They make money with sponsors, and those sponsors want a boost in holiday sales from all the ads and marketing that comes from a big award show

Kiraly

(4 if you count the fact that the own a stake in Fromsoft)
I've been seeing this everywhere and it's the most hilarious shit, especially coming from the same crowd saying Bethesda exclusives don't count as rEaL Microsoft first party because they just bought them

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unlike movie awards which can be given to movies that made no money or arent even in English, video game awards are mostly heavy hitting big sellers unless it's the indie award.

Video games makers and game sites and promoters are too handcuffed to each for the industry to be less biased. Just look at Pope Jr himself with his doritos and mountain dew. It was so thick in money it's like the guy was the VP of Marketing at Pepsi. Too much free product, preview copies and banner ad revenue floating around. Just look at the Jeff Gertsman Kane & Lynch debacle. On the other hand, how often have you ever seen a movie reviewer give a bad score and suddenly he and his site (or newspaper) get reprimanded by the sponsor and the guy gets fired to boot? Probably never. Even if a movie studio threatened pulling money, it sure looks like no movie critic or site cares to cave in because bad movie ratings are just as common now as 40 years ago.

The 6-10 scoring system in gaming is already a bad sign. Movies since the beginning of time can still get scores ranging from 1-5 stars. Some might even get 0 stars. At some point (probably the early 2000s?), game review scores all amped up when in the 80s and 90s you got more shitty review scores that can actually be under 50%.

Last edited:
I've been seeing this everywhere and it's the most hilarious shit, especially coming from the same crowd saying Bethesda exclusives don't count as rEaL Microsoft first party because they just bought them

I mean, its true though. Sony own part of Fromsoft, not saying elden ring is their game or they’re responsible for it but a win for From is technically a win for Sony

Theres a very real probability that the next from game could be on playstation/pc only

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
If you want some objective awards look somewhere else, maybe BAFTA or something similar.

The game awards is just a popularity contest which is hyped by Geoff and marketed very good. I don't care for it, I'm there just for the trailers as it sits in the middle between two E3s. So as long as they give us good trailers that's what matters to me.

Fredrik

They make money with sponsors, and those sponsors want a boost in holiday sales from all the ads and marketing that comes from a big award show
I know and it sucks that holiday sales are prioritized higher than common sense.

I just wrote in another GOTY thread where people were surprised that GOWR was robbed from awards. Well duh people are still playing it and it’s an extreme slow starter with tutorial hand-holding and linear maps stretching far into the game. Give people some time to actually play the games and see the complete picture before they’re supposed to vote for them. Award shows needs to be moved to late January at the earliest.

reksveks

Fredrik basically hit the key points, the main thing is that the methodology benefits popular games over good games (they can be related but don't have to be). Prefer the method of Bafta games awards personally but it's still biased cause all humans are.

Don't think a win for From is a win for Sony, that win isn't a transitive property and the impact on Sony is unknown. Is it a win for Tencent as well?

Re: xbox lack of appearance, bad year for first party games and the only one that seemed like a Games Award game at least for Story (Pentiment) came out to late. I think Microsoft/Xbox needs to figure out if it wants to make Game Award 'bait'. Not in a negative way but like films, there is a typical type of game that gets nominated.

Don't think a win for From is a win for Sony, that win isn't a transitive property and the impact on Sony is unknown. Is it a win for Tencent as well?
yeah, thats why they invested in it. Its a win for every company that has a stake in Fromsoft. Thats kind of how investments work

Lupin25

That might be apparent, but Sony has had their hand in a lot of shit this year lol.

Just look at the biggest games of the year (excluding sports titles):

Pokémon Legends: Arceus - Nintendo/GF
Elden Ring - FS
Gran Turismo - Sony
Sifu - Sony marketed exclusive
HFW - Sony
Lego Stars Wars: The Skywalker Saga - WB Games
Stray - Sony marketed exclusive
TLOU Part 1 - Sony
Splatoon 3 - Nintendo
Bayonetta 3 - Platinum/Nintendo
COD: MW 2/Warzone 2 - Activision/Sony marketed
GOW Ragnarök - Sony
Callisto Protocol - Krafton/Sony marketed

They’ve been everywhere. Movies/TV as well.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Re: xbox lack of appearance, bad year for first party games and the only one that seemed like a Games Award game at least for Story (Pentiment) came out to late.
The weird thing there is that Halo Infinite is supposedly eligible for GOTY 2022, but it was also awarded with a players choice award in TGA 2021.

What's the impact on the Investment isn't clear?

It should make From more valuable yes but does it and how much is unknown.

It will continue to raise their profile either way. If i invest money into a company, I’d love to see them become more successful. How you quantify it doesn’t really matter.

reksveks

If i invest money into a company, I’d love to see them become more successful. How you quantify it doesn’t really matter.
Is the 'you' referring to myself or the investing party because the investing party really will have a set of metrics that they are looking at? Award wins could be a party of that set of metrics but ultimately I suspect it will come down to more hard metric.

If it's myself, obviously how I or anyone else quantify success means nothing to the companies involved just like many threads on this forum.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Like The Gayme Awards on Spike TV?!?
Yeah they're biased in the way of the size of your marketing budget.
HmZCPJI.png

These type of things are now totally dependent on industry contributions, so as long you're a Platinum Windows Gold Live! contributor then you're good to go. Real advertising money is elsewhere at this point since times are tough and you've go to maximize every buck, turnover every red ring, to make it worthwhile.
Peer accolades where they don't rent out the MGM Grand Pelican Hill F1 Quatar are the way to go.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
The weird thing there is that Halo Infinite is supposedly eligible for GOTY 2022, but it was also awarded with a players choice award in TGA 2021.
I never got it. January is usually a pretty slow month so you would think these awards would just do their awards then instead of basically having their nominees and probably winners already selected around Halloween.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They aren't biased imo. I can see why most of the winners get the award even if it isn't my pick that year

I think the only year they totally messed up on was the year Dragon Age Inquisition won, I think it was 2014

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That might be apparent, but Sony has had their hand in a lot of shit this year lol.

Just look at the biggest games of the year (excluding sports titles):

Pokémon Legends: Arceus - Nintendo/GF
Elden Ring - FS
Gran Turismo - Sony
Sifu - Sony marketed exclusive
HFW - Sony
Lego Stars Wars: The Skywalker Saga - WB Games
Stray - Sony marketed exclusive
TLOU Part 1 - Sony
Splatoon 3 - Nintendo
Bayonetta 3 - Platinum/Nintendo
COD: MW 2/Warzone 2 - Activision/Sony marketed
GOW Ragnarök - Sony
Callisto Protocol - Krafton/Sony marketed

They’ve been everywhere. Movies/TV as well.
🔥 Sony makes smart moves

Fredrik basically hit the key points, the main thing is that the methodology benefits popular games over good games (they can be related but don't have to be). Prefer the method of Bafta games awards personally but it's still biased cause all humans are.

Re: xbox lack of appearance, bad year for first party games and the only one that seemed like a Games Award game at least for Story (Pentiment) came out to late. I think Microsoft/Xbox needs to figure out if it wants to make Game Award 'bait'. Not in a negative way but like films, there is a typical type of game that gets nominated.
Man, stop it. Im seeing this rationalization about how the industry caters to a type of game, brand or crowd to justify the lack of nominations for a certain console. Does the cream not always rise to the top, or is the media just biased again, like last generation? How is addictive gameplay or great story telling "Game award bait"? Those are the two categories that will get you nomintated more often than not when the sales match the hype. The recent complaints against the Game awards this year reads like actors being mad at the Oscar because one of the requirtments to receive an Oscar is great acting, and one production company has 3 actors nominated.

Last edited:
Man, stop it. Im seeing this rationalization about how the industry caters to a type of game, brand or crowd to justify the lack of nominations for a certain console. Does the cream not always rise to the top, or is the media just biased again, like last generation? How is addictive gameplay or great story telling "Game award bait"? Those are the two categories that will get you nomintated more often than not when the sales match the hype. The recent complaints against the Game awards this year reads like an actor being mad at the Oscar because one of the requirtments to receive an Oscar is great acting, and one production company has 3 actors nominated.

Yeah, im not even sure i agree with it. What were the big “cinematic 3rd person movie” games nominated last year?

The only thing I can think of somewhat fitting that description is Ratchet and Clank and Sony has been making that franchise for 20 years already. It Takes Two won, and its a two player co-op almost-indie game.

Psychonauts 2 was a crowdfunded platformer game, deathloop was an FPS with almost no plot, and the last game was a 2d shooter.

Oh, and Resident Evil Village, a first person horror game

Last edited:

reksveks

Does the cream not always rise to the top, or is the media just biased again, like last generation? How is addictive gameplay or great story telling "Game award bait"? Those are the two categories that will get you nomintated more often than not when the sales match the hype. The recent complaints against the Game awards this year reads like actors being mad at the Oscar because one of the requirtments to receive an Oscar is great acting, and one production company has 3 actors nominated.
I didn't say that the media was biased against any console platform, cause I don't think that they are.

I agree that they just have a preference/bias towards story and preferably single player games. This is something that Xbox has less of and when they do, it's not generally great. I don't care for most of the Xbox IP's apart from Ori (which is rather formulaic). Sony games deserve the awards. My only question mark from this year's nomination is the abundance of Stray over other indies including Sifu.

I haven't seen the actors being mad at the Oscars (link?) but the term Oscar bait is an old one. It's not necessarily a bad thing again.

What were the big “cinematic 3rd person movie” games nominated last year?
I don't think it's about cinematic 3rd party movies, it's about single players story 'heavy' games.

I want to repeat its not a bad thing.

I didn't say that the media was biased against any console platform, cause I don't think that they are.

I agree that they just have a preference/bias towards story and preferably single player games. This is something that Xbox has less of and when they do, it's not generally great. I don't care for most of the Xbox IP's apart from Ori (which is rather formulaic). Sony games deserve the awards. My only question mark from this year's nomination is the abundance of Stray over other indies including Sifu.

I haven't seen the actors being mad at the Oscars (link?) but the term Oscar bait is an old one. It's not necessarily a bad thing again.

I don't think it's about cinematic 3rd party movies, it's about single players story 'heavy' games.

I want to repeat its not a bad thing.

Which f the games last year besides resident evil was story heavy?

You think Psychonauts 2 and It Takes Two isn't?

Maybe we have a different definition of 'story heavy'

I mean, those games certainly have stories. Are there games that deserve to be nominated for GOTY that has less story? I mean Elden Ring and Stray is nominated this year and I GUESS those games have stories.

I feel like when people say theres a certain type of game that gets nominated its a criticism specifically meant for Sony games or things that resemble them, not just games with stories and cutscenes, but games that emulate hollywood type of storytelling.

Only thats not really the case if we consider winners like Sekiro, It Takes Two, Breath of The Wild, etc.

Last edited:

Roberts

If it is anything like movie industry then it is not so much biased as it is rewarding those developers/publishers that pimp their work the most. it is not hard to guess who is going to win all the Oscars even though they are almost never objectively the best films. There are politics involved too, obviously.

Top Bottom