• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Insomniac's talent is being "wasted" on superhero IPs?

Do you think Insomniac's talent is being "wasted" on superhero IPs?

• Total voters

NonPhixion

It's not like they are some mediocre studio that was setup to work on one big IP for the rest of their existence. They will continue to make great games whether you're a fan of the IPs or not. Their talent is certainly not wasted, just lost on the petty and entitled types.

TonyK

For me, Spiderman is their best game, so I will say no. However, Miles Morales feels like a DLC, so I hope their next games won't be copy paste games of the same formula.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They are making what they want to make. It isn’t a waste. They are making a lot of money for their shareholders.

Kojima’s talent was wasted on that directors cut

*Nightwing

No, history has shown us making a good game based off of a super hero IP is difficult to translate to gaming satisfactory.

Only natural the best studios use thier skills to make a good superhero game than smaller inexperienced ones continue to make shitty ones.

Insomniac is doing the gaming gods work

MrS

Banned
Absolutely yes. They should make a mature game like TLOU2 and not focus on kiddy shit like Ratchet and Spidey.

bender

What time is it?
Yes. Fuse was really coming into its' own before Insomniac was tapped on the shoulder to do cape shit.

Amiga

The talent of Insomniac is technical. But they are not good at world building. established IP solve the weakness they have.

GG and SP used to have the same problem but solved it. Maybe Insomniac can also leverage the Sony access to professional writers and IP development.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No, I think Spider-Man is arguably the best game they've ever released and one of the best superhero games ever. They're doing industry leading AAAA games, not annualized shovelware or licensed tie-ins.

Obviously they may not want to just stick to that forever. Just like Naughty Dog moved on from Jak, and moved on from Uncharted, Insomniac will probably do the same eventually, but it's hardly "wasting" their time to have access to some of the biggest IPs in the world and make huge blockbuster games.

teezzy

Banned
No, not at all.

Talented developers are given interesting and well developed IPs to work with and create upper tier gaming experiences with. I don't see the problem. More of a benefit to superhero games as a sub genre than a detriment to the developer.

Outrunner

It's not like they haven't released Ratchet and Clank this year... If they have chosen to work on super-hero games, and if those games always come out excelent, how are they wasting their talent?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No, not at all.

Talented developers are given interesting and well developed IPs to work with and create upper tier gaming experiences with. I don't see the problem. More of a benefit to superhero games as a sub genre than a detriment to the developer.
It's also worth noting, Insomniac has been given a tremendouis amount of creative license, too, it's not like they're being boxed in by these IPs, they're getting a huge set of toys to play with how they want.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
For me, Spiderman is their best game, so I will say no. However, Miles Morales feels like a DLC, so I hope their next games won't be copy paste games of the same formula.

Itll be the same song and dance. You want Spidey to drive a car or something?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They have multiple teams, i do not believe they are only working on Marvel games. They have released some good looking VR titles before for Oculus and smaller games.

Come on give us that next-gen Resistance game.

Urban

The last new ip they did was 2014 being a MS exclusive..

i dont see how their talent is "wasted" ? You need talent to make a good superhero game too

SpokkX

no… their best game is superhero based (spiderman)

… but on the other hand it was really a spidermsn skinned arkham city clone

so maybe is a better answer? They could create something cool i guess - ratchet is a worse alternative though

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Trayarch are a company that are wasted.
They made the original Tony Hawk's and Spider-man 2
Now they make the "other" Call of Duty games that I skip eveytime they release them.

Batiman

Banned
We’ll see how the play. But tbh Spider-Man was just good. An I feel I had enough of SM for a few years

mortal

Gold Member
As someone who isn't into superhero comics, no I do not think that.

They seem to be pretty passionate and industrious as far as developers go. There are many fans of their games that overlap with Marvel fans.
A skilled & passionate studio + popular licensed IPs + a large eager fanbase. I would not consider that as a waste.

That being said, if given the choice I personally would much prefer original IP over licensed IP. I'm really over the superhero thing at this point.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I would say it's only wasted if they're being forced to make them. Which from what we've heard about Sony isn't likely the case at all. As long as the studio is passionate about it there's no issue. A waste would be forcing them to do something they don't want to. I wouldn't want them making another Ratchet & Clank or a new IP if they weren't completely into it.

Javthusiast

Banned
Let's see. All they ever did were Ratchet games, a shitty third person shooter without color after reboot, and Sunset which I thought was only okay.

Then they made Spider-Man which I loved and now are making Logan which I am also hyped about. Plus just released a good Ratchet game recently.

Yeah no, I gladly take good Marvel games from them.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Spiderman is their best game so I don't think so. That said I am not really looking forward to more Spiderman either.

Elios83

Exactly the opposite.
Their popularity has increased immensely precisely because of Spiderman while no one cares of Resistance or Sunset Overdrive.
You may personally not like Marvel's universe but thinking that this partnership hasn't been hugely beneficial for both is delusional.
Can't wait for both Spiderman and Wolverine.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As long as they do other shit on the side.

Insomniac are too creative to just do existing IP. They worked wonder with Spider-Man but it's still working from a blueprint, they need to be able to flex that creative muscle too with things like Ratchet & Clank, or hell, something brand new. Even as a big long time RnC fan Rift Apart felt like we'd seen enough.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The games aren't for me but people seem to like them so I think that's a good use of their time

Last edited:
No, but they shouldn’t just do that.

And we need to see some variety/innovation in what they are doing. Their last two games have been basically reskins of their older games with nicer graphics. And the original Spider-Man was, let’s be kind and say ‘inspired’ by the Arkham games…

Love a blockbuster though, so I’m all for it.

If the games are good it can't be a waste.

I think that there is waste in open world games, but at the same time Spiderman belongs in an open world game.

AmuroChan

If the team is passionate about making these games, I don't see how we can call that a "waste". Do people think it was waste for talented actors and directors to work on MCU movies rather than on original IPs?

Jack Uzi

Banned
You can tell the team was absolutely passionate about Spiderman.

I don't know of it's the same for the other IPs. Maybe they personally asked for a Wolverine game, who knows.

The head of the team need to say if this ip was shoved into them or if they did it willingly.
They chose to make both Spider-Man and Wolverine. Their choice of characters, no one else’s.

MrA

Banned
let me go check how many copies the spider man games have sold.....
yeah their talent is being put to good use

plus sunset over drive certainly seems like their attempt to make their own superheros,

Kuranghi

As a big Ratchet fan Rift Apart was pretty disappointing overall, its a great game but its not amazing, its very milquetoast, the platforming challenging could be done even if you are a submental and the secrets and battle arenas were shite compared to past efforts.

So if they put more effort into their superhero games then yes I'd prefer they keep making them, as long as they don't become rote like Ubisoft games have.

Vaelka

If anything I think they're being carried by them.
I don't mean that as in they're incompetent but that the games they make are really not THAT great or special, they're pretty standard for AAA games.
But the IP's equates to better sales and I think makes people like them more.

If the Spiderman games had been new IP's I don't believe they would've been as popular.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
As a massive superhero fan, since childhood - reading comics, collecting figures and watching saturday (superhero) morning cartoons - yes - I want Insomniac to ONLY make Marvel games.
R&C can be left in the pile of 'funny childrens games, with a twist of humorous society "enlightenment" - turned bad and forgot about their roots'.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Unpopular opinion time. I think everyone's talent is wasted on super heroes. I was fatigued and done with the whole thing circa Iron Man 2 or the 3rd season of Daredevil. Idk, guys running around in leather/spandex punching walls with Chris Nolan's womp womp trailer sounds. I'm kind of over superheroes entirely.

Now set me on fire! 😄

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'm not really a huge fan of Insomniac's other IP's that they dabbled in (Ratchet, Resistance, etc) and I like Marvel, so not for me. Spiderman was great, I've not played Miles, but I have confidence in 2 being good and Wolverine is probably going to be at least the same quality. It's not a waste if the games they are releasing are quality titles.

Top Bottom