• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think its possible for Spider-Man 2 to crack a 90 on MC/OC?

Do you think Spider-Man 2 will be able to crack a 90?

• Naw, I think it will review around the same 86-87, hard to make superhero games stand out

• Maybe, I think It could jump a couple of points maybe 88 to 90, sequels dont typically review better

• I’m 100% confident SM2 will crack it if gets the next-gen care Rift Apart got

Results are only viewable after voting.
The first one was an 87

2iaV2wr.jpg

Miles morales was an 85. The only superhero game that have gotten above a 90 was Batman Arkham City at 96. It seems reviewing standards have significantly changed since then though. There are only 42 reviews on the arkham city ps3 version and 87 for the 360 version, versus the 115-130 reviews big AAA games get now which bring down the average.

What do you think Insomniac would have to do to push this franchise over the threshold? Better storytelling, more interactive environments, better combat mechanics, better graphics? Will insomniac ever enter the pantheon of greatness, will they have to wait for something far more mature and linear like Wolverine before they enter the discussion, or will insomniac forever be an B-tier studio stuck in the mid-high 80s?

feynoob

If they can get rid of those cringe side missions, and those stupid boss fights.

The 2018 version of boss fights were braind dead. Hope they improve that.
I also want them to never ever bring that mary Jane mission. That shit is pure garbage of stealth.

Last edited:
If they avoid having me do stealth missions with Mary Jane, the game will definitely be at least 9/10 material. Seriously, no one wants to play Mary Jane.
If they can get rid of those cringe side missions, and those stupid boss fights.

The 2018 version of boss fights were braind dead. Hope they improve that.
I also want them to never ever bring that mary Jane mission. That shit is pure garbage of stealth.

I kind of liked the one where you could command spidey to take people out in grand central

It was the stupid computer puzzles i hated the most

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i guess so, they have a chance.
I believe Imsomniac should learn from the previous games.

Knightsoftheround

Neo Member
I don't think so. I can't see them switching the formula too much and it's going to start to feel a bit stale.

Almost certainly be a good game but not 90 plus

Robb

Gold Member
Definitely possible. Can’t wait to see what they’re cooking. Venom is one of my all-time favorite Spider-Man villains.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I liked Spidey more than God of War so it’s already a 90 to me. I dunno. I don’t really think these game reviewers have any standards or consistency.

Fbh

Sure.
Though I think it would need to feel like an evolution of the formula. As fun as both games were and as nice as they look, in many ways their sandbox design still feels like it's coming straight from the Ps3 era.

Why do people care about MC so much? I never understand why that number matters.

The rules of MC on gaming forums are:
- If a game I like gets a low score: It's a terrible site, people who use it are stupid, gaming media is just a bunch of woke journalist wannabe whiners that probably don't even play games.
- If a game I like gets a very high score: It's the ultimate seal of quality for a game, a great tool to see the overall consensus and the only valid and impartial way to gauge the quality of a game.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Insomniac has been levelling up. I expect Spider-Man 2 to be their Uncharted 2 moment. Will easily boast a 90% +

Same goes for Wolverine, long as its not open world.

Last edited:

darthkarki

I think the main thing separating Spider-Man from something like the Batman Arkham series is the breadth and cohesiveness of the main gameplay pillars.

In Batman, you've got combat, traversal, exploration, and puzzle solving. The story and quests do a fantastic job of utilizing all of these together so it's harder to notice where one ends and one begins.

In Spider-Man, I feel like combat and traversal are the only pillars that are really fleshed out. I don't feel like you're ever really given the chance to actually explore a space - the level design is fairly basic, you generally just move from one room to the next. There are some minor puzzle type sections here and there, but they feel kind of half baked and more just there as a brief break between combat and traversal. The way Batman's gadgets are used in combat, traversal, and puzzle solving is brilliant and much more cohesive. I would really like to see Insomniac try to do something like this with Spider-Man's gadgets: they should be multi-purpose and used for more than just combat.

God of War does a great job of this as well - you can throw your axe to knock things down, freeze things, use the blades to burn stuff, etc.

In Insomniac games it seems like everything is very siloed, and everything has one purpose. Same in Ratchet & Clank - you get a dozen weapons that are ostensibly very different, but all they do is damage enemies. You have a handful of tools, but they only do one thing. I think this is probably the main thing they need to work on to elevate their games.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think Insomniac will take note of the things to improve in the first one and Morales, and will go beyond on pushing next gen stuff than they did on Rift Apart because they had more time.

They also started the game after the first one, meaning that started to make a next gen only around late 2018, when they started to have PS5 specs, the first devkits etc., meaning that it could be the first 1st party next gen only game using an engine that starts really taking advantage of the next gen tech. I think it won't, but will take the first steps on that direction and will push visuals beyond what we saw in Ratchet, GoWR or HFW.

I think that by fixing some minor issues or improvable things the other ones had, pushing the visuals and keeping the good base quality the game will be rated high. But in terms of narrative, mechanics and game design I think will be pretty much of the same, just bit bigger and better.

So it will get a great score, but I don't see the game making some bold and unexpected big improvement in terms of gameplay, mechanics and narrative that would surprise people. A way to do it could be that Peter and Miles have to team up against Venom and go together as in Uncharted or TLOU and maybe use that to include an optional coop and find a smart way to sync and 'force' players go together in an open world game that would match fun for the gameplay and would be justified in terms of narrative. To find a fun way to have optional coop in story focused open world games. Or something like that. This would be a way to get huge score, innovating in something that would make the game better.

But I'm not sure about that, I think that looking at the relatively recent Sony games they'll basically go for the bigger and better approach and push visuals but their 'innovation', more likely instead of in improving the game in terms of big changes and improvements on the gameplay concept (as would be maybe making coop the 'cool sidekick from Uncharted/TLOU/GoW' thing in an open world, or as Elden Ring did bringing the Souls formula to open world) will go on pushing further the woke agenda:

I see them killing the iconic heterosexual white male protagonist and replacing them with women, because they already replaced them with a black guy in the previous one and seems that there is a clear pattern with Sony getting rid of their white male protagonists. I bet Silk and a (maybe LGTB, because they are white and need extra woke points) version of either Spider-Woman or Spider-Gwen will be playable characters and protagonists of the next game after Spider-Man 2, where they would replace not only the white guy but also the black guy.

Last edited:
I think Spiderman 2 will be rated higher than the first game, and will be considered a benchmark, a new high, for what can be achieved in superhero games, and action games in general.

They'll improve every aspect of the first game, the map will be bigger and denser, combat will be better, graphics, sound, customisation...all of it will surpass the first game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Spiderman, even though I played it on PS4 pro.

I'm very tempted to replay on ps5 to take advantage of the upgraded version.

Having also finished Miles Morales, I believe they use all the improvements from that game too.

Personally, I can't wait.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox fanboys are already trying to destroy a PlayStation exclusive before it’s released Spider-Man and miles are just the beginning, introducing venom is HUGE. I promise you it will be a 90+ metacritic score.

TonyK

Does Insomniac have any game above 90 in Metacritic? I play all their games but I always thought that they are not in the same level as Naughty Dog or Santa Monica, the true "above 90" Sony companys.

Does Insomniac have any game above 90 in Metacritic? I play all their games but I always thought that they are not in the same level as Naughty Dog or Santa Monica, the true "above 90" Sony companys.

Well Naughty Dog didn't start with constant 90+ games. Maybe the same will happen with Insomniac.

Certinty

I expect it.

They know what worked and what didn’t and will no doubt build on what did whilst adding so much more.

Over four years in-between the first and second game is huge too, might even be more than how long it took to develop the original?

It's a PS5 only title, so I could see it really impressing when its shown. Heck, miles morales on PS5 looks great so imagine what they can do focusing on PS5 only.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Its going to set the bar for next gen visuals. It'll be the best looking game ever upon release. The first real next gen only big AAA PS5 exclusive, it's going to impress. Combat will be greatly expanded, super tight and look just like the movies. Writing will be top tier. Side missions greatly expanded. Venom an iconic villain. The 1-2 punch with Peter and Miles. This game has 90+ written all over it.

9ad15cc4d2f9636f832d85ab07e88e35871d525b.gif

Last edited:
Revamped the open world busy work, make the story hard hitting and emotional a la no way home and further improve the combat. Easy 90.

ProtoByte

I think Spider-Man 2 has potential to be a generation defining game. If they get the story right (and I think people don't realise how deep it could be - the first game set up so many things in terms of the characters alone), and they widen the scale of combat and destruction, make side quests chock full with sensible cameos and deeper stories as many first party Playstation games have been recently, it's an easy 90+.

I'm going to play it regardless though; they nailed the first one.

Its going to set the bar for next gen visuals. It'll be the best looking game ever upon release. The first real next gen only big AAA PS5 exclusive, it's going to impress. Combat will be greatly expanded, super tight and look just like the movies. Writing will be top tier. Side missions greatly expanded. Venom an iconic villain. The 1-2 punch with Peter and Miles. This game has 90+ written all over it.

9ad15cc4d2f9636f832d85ab07e88e35871d525b.gif

I don’t envy insomanic with the incredibly high standards people are gonna have for this game. It needs to

• Have High framerate options (60fps, 40fps, etc)
  • Have next-gen defining graphics
  • Have fast load times
  • Have Ray Tracing like the last game
  • Some sort of ‘next-gen’ only feature that proves to people it couldn’t be done on last gen consoles
And have significantly improved gameplay, mechanics, and a satisfying story on top of all that. If anyone of those bullet points above are not meant its gonna be non-stop bitching and harassment

Last edited:

tmlDan

Why do people care about MC so much? I never understand why that number matters.

"Oh wait, this was an 87 on MC....might not play this one today...Hmm...I'll play this one. Yep, got a 95 on MC. Deserves my attention more."
As you can see from all the pics Sony studios take and the nervousness in the moment of review release, they care A LOT.

Cory cried at the reviews of GoW (2018).

I think we should value it too if they do.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I love Insomniac and think their games are always always better than their critical reception suggests, but I don’t think they’ve ever hit 90 mc and sequels are usually unlikely to top the original games score.

As you can see from all the pics Sony studios take and the nervousness in the moment of review release, they care A LOT.

Cory cried at the reviews of GoW (2018).

I think we should value it too if they do.

Yeah, like it or not all devs care about MC and to a general degree reviews. You spend 5 years working on something tirelessly you’re gonna want the number at the end to be high also

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Don’t know and don’t care really. A Metacritic number in the 90s means nothing to me.

If the game is good to me, that’s all that matters. I’ve enjoyed some games that scored in the 60s more than some games that scored in 80s and 90s.

In fact I don’t even know what scores the games I’ve played over the last 6-7yrs even had.

Last edited:

Banned
depends on how many slow walking sequences they include and how easy the easiest mode is.

remember, these are rated by people that don't like videogames

Top Bottom