• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think its possible for Spider-Man 2 to crack a 90 on MC/OC?

Do you think Spider-Man 2 will be able to crack a 90?

• Naw, I think it will review around the same 86-87, hard to make superhero games stand out

• Maybe, I think It could jump a couple of points maybe 88 to 90, sequels dont typically review better

• I’m 100% confident SM2 will crack it if gets the next-gen care Rift Apart got

Results are only viewable after voting.
Its funny that after elden ring and GoWR people still act like they don’t matter lol

they dont. i dont buy games or avoid games based on what others score those games. only idiots do. Im a normal human, not a monkey, I can decide on my own whether that game looks interesting to play or not. I've played amazingly rated games that I didnt like and poorly scored games that I loved.

Last edited:
they dont. i dont buy games or avoid games based on what others score those games. only idiots do.

Joe Biden Congrats GIF by GIPHY News

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If they avoid having me do stealth missions with Mary Jane, the game will definitely be at least 9/10 material. Seriously, no one wants to play Mary Jane.
Insomniac listened to you and will replace the MJ stealth missions with Gwen Stacey stealth missions.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I don’t envy insomanic with the incredibly high standards people are gonna have for this game. It needs to

• Have High framerate options (60fps, 40fps, etc)
  • Have next-gen defining graphics
  • Have fast load times
  • Have Ray Tracing like the last game
  • Some sort of ‘next-gen’ only feature that proves to people it couldn’t be done on last gen consoles
And have significantly improved gameplay, mechanics, and a satisfying story on top of all that. If anyone of those bullet points above are not meant its gonna be non-stop bitching and harassment
It doesn't need to have 60fps. Just 30 and 40fps. 40fps will be the new performance mode. People just need to get used to it. The people demanding 60 can fuck right off, because then everything else you listed either wont happen or be significantly scaled back.

Either accept 40fps as the new performance mode going forward, or don't complain when Pro versions of these consoles come out way sooner than you expected.

As for improved gameplay, mechanics etc - They will deliver. Insomniac has been on the come up in a big way.

Who you should be worrying about is Sucker Punch. Ghost of Tsushima felt like a PS3 game.

If you want 60fps, wait for the PC version. Or PS5 Pro. Shit will just hold everything else back. :kanyeshrug:

People are gonna point to Returnal, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet and Clank and ask why those games got 60fps modes not not Spider-Man 2. The only saving grace is that SM2 most likely won’t be the first big next gen game out next year without 60fps

Kokoloko85

Insomniacs output it probably the best and there games are pretty good, but they haven’t reached that special place Naughty Dog and Santa Monica have.
They need to take it to another level some how for open world games to go above 90

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
People are gonna point to Returnal, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet and Clank and ask why those games got 60fps modes not not Spider-Man 2. The only saving grace is that SM2 most likely won’t be the first big next gen game out next year without 60fps
And I will say - Those are all launch/launch window games. And Spider-Man 2 will run circles around all of those games visually. They like to act stupid and pretend that games don't push hardware further the deeper you get into the generation.

Look at PS4 Launch games then go look at The Last of Us Part II.

This will be Insomniacs 3rd time around with PS5 hardware, Spider-Man 2 will blow away everything they've made so far. They even said so themselves, its not like im making this stuff up.

And you know what.. Wolverine will look even better.

So this notion that late into the gen, games have to be 60fps, on this hardware, is just stupid, and completely ignoring history. They have to find a reason to sell you that PS5 Pro. It will be 60fps.

Last edited:

tmlDan

They need to figure out a way to make the open world aspects be more like Witcher/RDR than Ubisoft and they have a shot
Hopefully they took pointers from SSM cause apparently their side quests are more (or claimed to be better) than the W3 side quests which i still think are the best ever, until i get my hands on GOW:R

Yoboman

They need to go to the next level and essentially compete with Rockstar in the open world

I'd like it to be a real Spiderman and Peter Parker simulator. Being able to change in and out of suit in game, as Parker you can drive cars, ride bikes, deliver Pizzas, and all sorts of activities you might normally find in a GTA style game. As Spiderman it's what you expect

And bring in a good vs bad system where you can go be the hero or be a villain. Use the symbiote story if you need to justify it. You could even make it dynamic how the world reacts to Spiderman based on your actions

Lastly, steal from the Arkham games in how dense the world should be with things to do. Fill it with landmarks that activate genuinely interesting side content and not shit like collecting pigeons

In the end it's probably going to be a bit derivative. But being that they are looking at a game with 30 million sales potential they need to be thinking how to make a game to compete with the likes of Rockstar in the open world genre

Aenima

Depends what they do with it. If it gets the Miles Morales treatment where its just new story with some new gadgets and superpower but its mostly the same, then no. If they add more cool stuff do do, new places to go, maybe some new game mechanics, yeah it can go above 90.

Hell yeah 92+!! 😎 The best superhero game ever in my book is Arkham City and it's sitting at a 96 I doubt reviews will be that high but I fully expect it to supplant Arkham as the best.

Gone

Banned
Why are people, mainly playstation fanboys, so obsessed with this shit? It's like their enjoyment of a game depends heavily on its metacritic score.

Last edited:

tommib

GAF: metacritic is biased and useless. Critics are jackasses
GAF: how will this unreleased game we haven’t seen one bit of score next year on metacritic.

These take the trophy for the most useless threads.

Last edited:

SSfox

Some of you really takes this shit way too seriousely.

I mean it's cool to see a great game getting its deserved scores, but at the same i don't really care much, i feel like for some here those Metascores are almost like Oxygen or something... HUH, God Hand got 3/10 by IGN and it didn't prevent me to have a blast with game and played it many time.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The fewer and fewer AAA single player games that get released, the higher the metascore will be. Industry hacks like propping up these dull games.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Possibly, reviewers are some of the biggest capeshit funky people out there. Do you really care but? If it’s good it’s good.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Who cares? Some of you give way too much credit to journo's scores.

sachos

Why do people care about MC so much? I never understand why that number matters.

"Oh wait, this was an 87 on MC....might not play this one today...Hmm...I'll play this one. Yep, got a 95 on MC. Deserves my attention more."
I dont know about "caring too much" but i think its easy to see why scores have some use/matter, if you go look at the really high scored games most are bangers that trully deserve it. And in your example, yeah, genre/franchise bias aside i would initially pay more attention to the 95 one simply by the fact that its increadibly rare that a game scores that high. Of course that does not mean i will like it more than the 87 one, thats a really good score too.
I see scores as a good way to gauge the chances you will find something you love in a game you are already interested to begin with.

Last edited:

Moochi

Thought Spiderman sucked. Traversal was boring and so was combat. Puzzles were lame. Graphics were alright I guess, nowhere near as impressive as Arkham Knight, and the story did nothing for me. Did people really like this game?

Thought Spiderman sucked. Traversal was boring and so was combat. Puzzles were lame. Graphics were alright I guess, nowhere near as impressive as Arkham Knight, and the story did nothing for me. Did people really like this game?

Nope 33 million people were held at gunpoint and forced to buy it

Cbs Danger GIF by Wolf Entertainment

I dont know about "caring too much" but i think its easy to see why scores have some use/matter, if you go look at the really high scored games most are bangers that trully deserve it. And in your example, yeah, genre/franchise bias aside i would initially pay more attention to the 95 one simply by the fact that its increadibly rare that a game scores that high. Of course that does not mean i will like it more than the 87 one, thats a really good score too.
I see scores as a good way to gauge the chances you will find something you love in a game you are already interested to begin with.

Yeah, i honestly would have never played Hades if it didn’t score so high. I’m just not into rogue likes at all typically so when something breaks the mold it means that its accessible for people outside of the target demo.

I think the game will be well enjoyed by the average consumer, but it will have some notable issues namely in mission structure, and slacktivist written scenes that pull you out of the experience.

As for MC/OC? Who gives a shit. The only people who listen or care about these sites are warriors and children who need validation. Think for yourself.

Guilty_AI

Why do people care about MC so much? I never understand why that number matters.

"Oh wait, this was an 87 on MC....might not play this one today...Hmm...I'll play this one. Yep, got a 95 on MC. Deserves my attention more."
Dunno about others but i personally don't even look at metacritic anymore when picking games.

bender

What time is it?
It's going to be easier to evolve the open world design now that they have the foundation in traversal and combat and side content was easily the weakest part of the game.

AmuroChan

Get rid of the bloat that are most of the side stuff, which were so repetitive and quite frankly, not fun. I'm not against side quests, but make them unique, fun, and meaningful. They did make some improvements in MM, which I appreciate. Hopefully they take another step forward in Spidey 2.

Shubh_C63

They have successfully setup the mechanics, now blow us away with a darker story because SP1 story was lame. ( generally accepted for a superhero gig)

Spiderman was a fantastic game apart from the MJ and that mini spider puzzle parts.
Metacritic and rotten tomatoes don't always get it right, Conflict: Desert Storm 4 player campaign was amazing yeah the graphics and gameplay weren't great but playing together was magical, only 65 on Meta and rotten tomatoes has Terminator 1 higher than T2 work that madness out.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It can get 10 in MC but I wont touch any Marvel and DC crap….no thank you.

Last edited:

tommib

Dude, I don’t even like this game but it sold 30 million copies? Why the question?

I believe the chances of them making the best superhero themed game are fairly high. One thing I do know, is that they will -most propably- produce the technical benchmark of 2023...provided that they hit the planned release date, that is...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Unless they really make a jump in quality for their open world and sidecontent, i think it's gonna be hard to have a 90 mc.

Also no more shitty stealth session with the retarded redhead.

Last edited:

Helghan

I honestly doubt it. I feel their core gameplay is always great, but they miss that extra push for open world games to get you really sucked into it. But that's difficult for all open world games. If you're able to drift off from the main quest for 20 hours doing only side stuff, then your side content also needs to be really good to keep you invested in the whole story.

GymWolf

Half the people here just play a game of "guess the number" dude, i personally give 2 fucks about mc, if it was for me i would erase the whole thing since modern videogame journalists are mostly trash and their review should have zero weight on how we judge games.

Last edited:
I believe the chances of them making the best superhero themed game are fairly high. One thing I do know, is that they will -most propably- produce the technical benchmark of 2023...provided that they hit the planned release date, that is...

There are aloooot of next gen games coming out next year though. Thats why im excited for 2023.

Top Bottom