• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you watch Snuff Films?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the quote on the previous page while finishing up "the girl who played with fire" ... I feel ill. This thread is horrifying.

Yeah, sometimes I'm curious if I see a link. Wish I wasn't. And that stuff (news, LiveLeak) aren't really snuff films as much as filmed tragedies.

Yeah that stuff isn't snuff really. There's done a few documentaries and they haven't ever really found anything that fits the description of snuff, "A snuff film is a motion picture genre that depicts the actual murder of a person or people, without the aid of special effects, for the express purpose of distribution and entertainment or financial exploitation".

But yeah, watched stuff like 3 guys 1 hammer and that luka magnotta video, so if you count that, I guess.

Oemenia

Banned
You get ultra-violent images and videos being spammed on mainstream forums at times (who hasnt been linked to 'Offended'...). While not nice, its the films that really get you. Yes they are fake but they show the victims in situations where they have no hope whatsoever.

Reading about some of these films has made me depressed in the past.

99hertz

Norm Macdonald made me watch the Budd Dwyer video. I don't know if that counts.

I watched a few seconds of the 2 guys, 1 hammer video. I just remember a gurgling sound, don't remember any images.

oneils

I watched the recent Magnotta film. You don't really see the murder itself. Just a lot of horrible acts to a dead body. Watching it was like watching a movie. I don't really think it left much of an impression on me. Not sure what that means.

oatmeal

Banned
I watched the recent Magnotta film. You don't really see the murder itself. Just a lot of horrible acts to a dead body. Watching it was like watching a movie. I don't really think it left much of an impression on me. Not sure what that means.

It was incredibly tame.

Doesn't show anything. Everyone says it shows necro and cannibalism...but it doesn't.

It is pretty tough to watch.

I guess a lot of the videos that we are mentioning here are not strictly snuff films. I am not really sure what you would call them.

Ah...yeah, I remember this one. Definitely left a lasting impression, in a bad way of course. Thing is, I would feel the complete opposite about this had it been a criminal who did something terrible like child rape or something.

I mean, I don't actively go out of my way to casually look up videos and images of human suffering. I personally think there's something wrong with someone that gets out of bed, grabs a nice hot cup of coffee and then goes and searches the net for gory shit just for personal kicks.

With that said, I do look at gory shit if I'm reading a news article or happen to read a story about it.

Personally I really wish war coverage here in the States wasn't censored at all. Why do I watch it? Because that's the world we live in and I want to be aware of it. Images are powerful. It's one thing to read about something, it's another thing to see it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the bit from that verge article about the video of a guy suffocating two kittens is so sad and fucked up i am traumatized. i can't believe that exists.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you have an interest in the history of "snuff film", the best book on the subject is Kerekes & Slater's excellent Killing For Culture. Fascinating book, sober, objective, and very well researched.

Its a quite old now, (I believe an updated version may be coming at some point) but that's almost a strong-point as it adds an important historical perspective by representing a world pre-internet/phone-cameras etc.

The sad fact is modern technology has turned yesterday's urban myth into a grim reality.

Pains me to say, but watching these kinds of videos can get addicting at times. My wife and I got into watching it back when Rotten first started. So yeah, I've seen pretty much everything, doesn't really effect me like other people though...mainly a curiosity. But I don't go out of my way to watch them anymore.

oneils

It was incredibly tame.

Doesn't show anything. Everyone says it shows necro and cannibalism...but it doesn't.

Not sure if we saw the same video. The one I saw has Magnotta using Lin Jun's dismembered arm to masturbate. Then he uses a bottle to anally penetrate the body. Then he carves pieces of the body up (chunks of flesh). Then he mounts the torso (after all the limbs have been dismembered, don't think we see the actual acts of dismemberment) and has sex with it.

Then he has a puppy munch on a stump of his leg. On and on. Its about 9 minutes of this kind of stuff. Not sure I would call it tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom