• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does PS Vita exist / Lack of Vita games at E3

Gemüsepizza;38537721 said:
Yep. No software.

nogamesawa6f.png

Edit: One game missing and a small error (LittleBigPlanet instead of LittleBigPlanet Karting) - fixing this right now.

The only games on that list i would have an interest in playing are MGS, FFX and Marvel vs Capcom.

But I already own them.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
you're gonna do well here junior

list wars doesn't cover up the fact that the thing isn't selling (and by extension, neither are the games)

To be fair he did not say it was selling.

He was countering people saying Vita has no games. Which is incorrect. If it is or is not selling is a different matter entirely.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
From a business standpoint, I don't think Activision should bother trying to deliver a COD campaign on Vita. It's not worth the effort and it will be C level.

What they should do is focus on delivering the CODBLOPS2 multi and have it work with cross play, and sell it for a reduced price.

If Vita had that, it would be a game changer, but neither Activision or Sony would see the wisdom in a $19.99 multi-only COD.

Beyond that, they truly need a great portable game. They need a Pokemon - I don't mean a Pokemon clone, they just need something that hits on a cultural level that makes the Vita desirable. I don't know if that's possible with the current state of Sony but that's the #1 thing they need.

Kyon

Banned

list wars doesn't cover up the fact that the thing isn't selling (and by extension, neither are the games)

This is about GAMES not SALES so idk what the problem is. Sales=/=games i mean does no one get the difference anymore?

Especially when you consider that most of the big games on that list are out already and people still dont appear to want one. And now add to that the fact that apparently Sony cant be bothered to show it off and you got the recipe for more and more months of low sales numbers worldwide.

Big-E

Kaz probably realized that it is too late to do anything. Even if they announced the most amazing games ever for the system, it still probably wont catch the world on fire. Tablets are just going to grow and grow and would push the Vita out of the way regardless of how many awesome game it has. I will probably still pick one up as I wouldn't mind having a device to use while watching tv with the wife.

Yep. No software.

nogamesaf9h9.png

Edit: [lt]One game missing and a small error (LittleBigPlanet instead of LittleBigPlanet Karting) - fixing this right now.[/lt] Fixed.

Bioshock isnt confirmed nor dated
COD isnt dated nor gameplay shown
FF10 is years away
LBP isnt selling hardware
Ass Creed looks nice and is 5 months away
Many of the big hitters wont be out for a year if ever.

Teknoman

If you own a Vita, you will be getting Assassins Creed.... sans terrible reviews.

It is the closest to a AAA game coming out before Christmas. (This and maybe CoD).

I will buy both, but if money is that tight I will go with the Vita version...

I dunno... there could still be more stuff hitting before Christmas we just dont know about yet, but i'll probably be getting a few other things aside from that. Does look good though.

Kaz probably realized that it is too late to do anything. Even if they announced the most amazing games ever for the system, it still probably wont catch the world on fire. Tablets are just going to grow and grow and would push the Vita out of the way regardless of how many awesome game it has. I will probably still pick one up as I wouldn't mind having a device to use while watching tv with the wife.

After getting an Ipad, I see how people like tablets and all...but I really dont think they'll be pushing out dedicated handheld gaming systems any time soon.

That is until Nintendo makes some sort of tablet device.

dc89

Nintendo are launching a new system this year but they're still going to have an hour presentation for new 3DS stuff.

Says it all, really.

This. It's like Sony doesn't know what to do with the Vita which is insane to think about.

I think they launched it with no plan on how to combat slow sales. They were just counting in devs wanting to make stuff for it and I honestly think they underestimated the 3DS.

the PSP had a great first year in terms of support but sony pretty much forgot it existed because they went tunnel vision on the PS3 which came out the following year. There's a feeling this might happen again. It's one of the reasons why I feel like the device will never be huge... sony doesn't have the focus to make it succeed. But they are a proud company and they will support it. The PSP, IMO, is one of the best "failures" ever. So many good games. More units sold than the PS3 or 360. That's a helluva failure.
If it ends up being the same situation as the PSP with poor NA sales but strong Japan sales, at least import gamers can play region free.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yep. No software.

http://www.abload.de/img/nogames2xc9w7.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

List Wars = Not helpful

List wars filled with ports and games that aren't coming out anytime soon = really unhelpful

Onemic

Bioshock isnt confirmed nor dated
COD isnt dated nor gameplay shown
FF10 is years away
LBP isnt selling hardware
Ass Creed looks nice and is 5 months away
Many of the big hitters wont be out for a year if ever.

Can the same not be applied to the 3DS? It's the exact same situation, but spun as a positive rather than a negative.

Most of them will be text-heavy assuming they'll be RPGs, so even that will be a tough way to have a Vita here.
I agree with you, import gaming is very niche, but it's a small upside to frequent importers even if the Vita doesn't catch on in NA. And we shouldn't take region free gaming for granted, considering how many systems are coming out locked (360 and 3DS being the prime examples).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I dont get it. Ports dont count as games now?
Well no, but if you're at a point where you're listing old ports with no additions, then you might be scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

That said, I'm not a part of the "Vita has no games" brigade. I think for where it is in its lifetime, the VITA is doing fine for games. I just worry about its future after this year with how its sales are doing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is about GAMES not SALES so idk what the problem is. Sales=/=games i mean does no one get the difference anymore?

You are talking as if those two aspects are not interdependent on one another.

Do you really think folks will keep making games for Vita if the platform continues to sell poorly? Do publishers/developers have an unlimited amount of money they can throw or something?

Yes, we as gamers should care more about games than sales, but you can't deny that sales have very major effect on the environment where games are created/released/enjoyed.

Can the same not be applied to the 3DS? It's the exact same situation, but spun as a positive rather than a negative.

Do Sony has franchises with massive selling power like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc which will improve hardware sales which in turn will make other developers joining in? Sure they make great games sometimes, but can you honestly say that their properties have as much selling power as Nintendo's? Can't believe you two would miss out this kind of logical reasoning.

I think people on the internet just enjoy shitting on Sony now. It has been the cool thing to do this whole generation and lots of people want to continue the trend.

It's called looking at the reality of things.

Teknoman

Sure they do, but semi-exact ports from more powerful systems dont really help. If you're going to port something, its usually best to do an upgrade, unless it has a feature/level set unique to that version.

Onemic

Do Sony has franchises with massive selling power like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc which will improve hardware sales which in turn will make other developers joining in? Sure they make great games sometimes, but can you honestly say that their properties have as much selling power as Nintendo's? Can't believe you two would miss out this kind of logical reasoning.

I thought we were talking about game quality and not selling power. I couldnt care less if a game sold x amount of copies if it's subpar in the quality department. That's where I'm coming from.

Except the 3DS always had Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Metroid. The Vita doesnt have anything like those to move hardware.

So this is indeed about quantity of games sold rather than the quality of the games themselves? Well, I'm done here then.

Not specific to this thread, but I find it funny that an argument about a console/handheld having games is often originally rooted in the quantity of quality releases, but when that's refuted it always goes back to selling power instead. Be consistent.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
3DS has Metroid?

People claim there's no games on Vita. They're shown games, "THESE WON'T MOVE SYSTEMS LIKE MARIO!!"

Sales, sales sales. Enjoy the fucking games.

Sony's conference today was a bit of a mess but there's no pleasing some people.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gran Turismo hun(You put mario twice btw) And besides Mario idt sales of their other franchises are as GREAT as you make it sound tbh

Mario the platformers and Mario the racing are two different gaming series, the ones where each of them are on record always capable of performing enormously in almost every iteration (hell, scratch that "almost")

Sure, Gran Turismo is big, but in my opinion even if it ever comes out for the Vita the thing will not perform as admirably as you might want, especially in terms of hardware shifting.

And please do not "hun" me.

I thought we were talking about game quality and not selling power. I couldnt care less if a game sold x amount of copies if it's subpar in the quality department. That's where I'm coming from.

So this is indeed about quantity of games sold rather than the quality of the games themselves? Well, I'm done here then.

Not specific to this thread, but I find it funny that an argument about a console/handheld having games is often originally rooted in the quantity of quality releases, but when that's refuted it always goes back to selling power instead. Be consistent.

I wasnt comparing it to mario tho. I listed their best selling franchise i could care less about what mario sold or any game for that matter. It's about the games

I am quoting my previous post here for both of you:

You are talking as if those two aspects are not interdependent on one another.

Do you really think folks will keep making games for Vita if the platform continues to sell poorly? Do publishers/developers have an unlimited amount of money they can throw or something?

Yes, we as gamers should care more about games than sales, but you can't deny that sales have very major effect on the environment where games are created/released/enjoyed.

The problem is... "PSVita has no games" may be an exaggeration, but the line-up for next months looks really upsetting. It's not that ports don't count, but if a person has already a PS360 (and I guess 90% of PSVita owners has one of them), most of them are simply unappealing. I want exclusive IP on my console, if I have to buy that. 3DS has Nintendo IP, PSP had a lot of exclusive software (God of War, Crisis Core, plenty of MGS)... PSVita has some cross-multiplatform that really don't incentivize to buy the platform if you have already a PS3. Or if you have one, you are convinced to like all kind of genre because there's not a lot of variety... I saw people excited for Cielo no Surge, just because.

Massa

The problem is... "PSVita has no games" may be an exaggeration, but the line-up for next months looks really upsetting. It's not that ports don't count, but if a person has already a PS360 (and I guess 90% of PSVita owners has one of them), most of them are simply unappealing. I want exclusive IP on my console, if I have to buy that. 3DS has Nintendo IP, PSP had a lot of exclusive software (God of War, Crisis Core, plenty of MGS)... PSVita has some cross-multiplatform that really don't incentivize to buy the platform if you have already a PS3. Or if you have one, you are convinced to like all kind of genre because there's not a lot of variety... I saw people excited for Cielo no Surge, just because.

Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty are the two biggest franchises on PS3/360 and the Vita is getting an exclusive installment of both this year. EA's FIFA, Madden and NFS are not exclusive but they should also be decent sellers on a portable.

Kyon

Banned

Not everyone has a PS3/console who owns an 3DS/Vita so console ports shouldn't be dismissed imo

PKrockin

Doesn't that destroy the 3D effect though? I want both -_-, it's why I never used the feature for Ocarina of time.

Yeah, but OoT likes having 3D more than Revelations anyway for a number of reasons. I really preferred 2xAA, and I'm generally a fan of 3D.

You should download the demo and try it for yourself, if you haven't already.

I really don't understand the Vita hate when the 3DS had the exact same problem and isn't completely out of their situation just yet. I don't even own a vita.

Well my issue is that Nintendo focused quite a bit on new gameplay footage of big 3DS games back in E3 2011, and that helped reassure us. Sony looks like they've just forgotten/don't care. And I think we're mostly expressing disappointment, not hate.

Onemic

Mario the platformers and Mario the racing are two different gaming series, the ones where each of them are on record always capable of performing enormously in almost every iteration (hell, scratch that "almost")

Sure, Gran Turismo is big, but in my opinion even if it ever comes out for the Vita the thing will not perform as admirably as you might want, especially in terms of hardware shifting.

And please do not "hun" me.

I am quoting my previous post here for both of you:

I don't disagree it plays a factor, but when you and others clearly do an about face and switch to it solely being about sales when the original argument was rooted in the quantity of quality releases, I have to call bullshit, sorry.

I can't believe I'm defending a handheld I don't own over one I do :/

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The big daddy in playstation allstars probably counts as the bioshock game for vita.

I am honestly surprised by his inclusion since I am not entirely sure he is iconic enough to be entered in an all-star character battle royale.

Someone like... maybe the Prince from the Prince of Persia would be a better fit, I think.

I don't disagree it plays a factor, but when you and others clearly do an about face and switch to it solely being about sales when the original argument was rooted in the quantity of quality releases, I have to call bullshit, sorry.

I can't believe I'm defending a handheld I don't own over one I do :/

Well, those two are highly interconnected to one another so it kind of hard not to touch one subject when discussing the other. Can't reasonably expect developers to continue pouring resources making quality games for Vita if the platform itself is not selling well, now, can you?

Krilekk

Banned
Almost nobody wants to develop for a console that doesn't sell. And those that do first have to figure out how to turn all the possibilities of Vita into something new and exciting. But as long as it costs more than 3DS the problem will remain: Who buys a Vita?

I think Sony doesn't care at this point. They have a long term plan laid out with Vita.

Rayman Legends is coming for Vita and for that I will hold on to mine. Not that I would sell it anyway.

This whole PSV has no games reminds me of the PSP launch which was getting it's ass kicked by the DS until they got their shit together.

Look at it now, not the biggest seller but it has a fantastic lineup.

Kyon

Banned
I am honestly surprised by his inclusion since I am not entirely sure he is iconic enough to be entered in an all-star character battle royale.

Someone like... maybe the Prince from the Prince of Persia would be a better fit, I think.

Big Daddy confirms that that game isnt only about iconic characters in terms of 3rd party tho so its possible for any character to make it. Fat Princess isnt iconic either but she is one of the few PS female characters so she makes sense.

Doesn't that destroy the 3D effect though? I want both -_-, it's why I never used the feature for Ocarina of time.

I really don't understand the Vita hate when the 3DS had the exact same problem and isn't completely out of their situation just yet. I don't even own a vita.
Actaully, no. I didn't really have a problem maintaining the 3D effect while using the gyrometer. I suppose that's kind of the thing that depends on the person, but as long as you aren't making rapid swipes but only the small ones that are actually necessary, it's not too hard to stay in the sweet-spot. Beyond that, the gyrometer is naturally only ever an issue during combat. Outside of battle, you're naturally not using it at all, so there's plenty of time to soak in the 3D either way.

Top Bottom