• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does sony even care about third parties anymore?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
slade said:
Oh, I don't know, they start software domination on their consoles ala Nintendo.

It's not a strategy that'll win you the console war but hey, at least you'll make money.

Good point, except for minor detail. Your software has to sell first.

methane47

justjohn said:
madden is not that big of a deal?
not that madden isn't a big deal.. but JUST because madden is being blasted all over the place by Microsoft does NOT mean Sony doesn't care about third parties... and hence.. Not a big deal.. its just ONE game...

Why exactly would sony want to help market this game anyways? the media makes sure to say that the PS3 version is inferior to the Microsoft version every chance they get... Whats the point of backing it?

Oblivion

felipeko said:
Motorstorm and Resistance are selling well for the small userbase..

I recall Resistance being over a million WW. What's Motostorm's numbers (from a non-Sony source please)?

Oblivion

Phoenix Down said:
Most people are going to buy madden on the PS2 anyway

why should sony care?

Erm..just a guess -and I'm just throwing this out here, btw- but it might have to do with the fact that they want to sell that thar new machine they made recently.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Oblivion said:
Erm..just a guess -and I'm just throwing this out here, btw- but it might have to do with the fact that they want to sell that new machine they made recently.
And so what, Madden PS2 is going to outsell 360/PS3 combined.

felipeko

Oblivion said:
I recall Resistance being over a million WW. What's Motostorm's numbers (from a non-Sony source please)?
I don't have the numbers... But they are the titles we see on sales charts.. So they're probably doing well...
captive said:
Forever?

Op wtf are you talking about,didn't you see the last e3?OF COURSE THEY CARE!

they never cared that much to begin with,except for some special cases

Oblivion

captive said:

So...I don't think they want to or can rely on the PS2 for the next 5 (or 10 as Sony seems to think) years maybe?

I don't see why everyone is complaining about it now and not last gen.

I remember seeing every single multiplatform game be advertised for the ps2, and at the end of the commercial it always had the ps2 boxart up front and the rest of them in the back.

just wait till we see madden 09 advertised for the Wii.

sprocket

Banned
There was game commercial like that but it only had the ps3 logo a while back cant remember which one it was though.

Just who ever pays for it really. Sony probably didn't care because they will sell so many ps2 versions.

Maybe next year?

sakuragi

Banned
Oblivion said:
So...I don't think they want to or can rely on the PS2 for the next 5 (or 10 as Sony seems to think) years maybe?

The mass market wont buy an expensive system just to buy Madden or Pro evo. So why market it on the PS3 when its price tag is $500? Sony is waiting for the PS3's price to reach mass market level but until then, the PS2 will satisfy those users. Why else do you think the PS2 is outselling both the Xbox 360 and PS3? Sony is keeping the PS2 alive to pave a way for the PS3 when it reaches the appropriate price.

methane47

sprocket said:
There was game commercial like that but it only had the ps3 logo a while back cant remember which one it was though.

Frickin Spiderman 3.... what a waste.... I dont think Sony actually paid for that crap though... Just probably an agreement for using the spiderman licence.

Still... I really wish they would take the playstation sign off spiderman boxes... its a pretty bad disgrace..

Link316

Banned
Oblivion said:

they can rely on it long enough until MS gives up on the 360

rs7k

I don't think Madden on 360 will be outsold by the PS2 version all that much. Yes it will happen, but not by that much.

I think PS3 Madden will outsell Wii Madden though.

mollipen

Sony cared about third parties, but then she accidentally picked up on a call one night from Microsoft to the third parties. And Sony was all, "Honey, are you cheating on me??" and the third parties were all, "Really, baby, it doesn't mean anything, it was just a cheap one night stand."

But Sony knew she had gotten a bit wide and fat and that Microsoft was this sleek, sexy young console, so she followed the third parties home from work one night, and found them going to a motel to meet up with Microsoft, and heard the third parties say to MS, "Seriously, I'm going to divorce Sony soon... I promise!"

So when the third parties got home, Sony was there crying, and was like, "I can't believe you'd do this to me! I should have known you were cheating when you weren't putting as much effort into your ports and multi-platform games for me as you used to! I don't need you anymore!" and kicked the third parties out.

Now, though, Sony realizes that she still loves the third parties, and wants to continue making babies with them and creating a happy family, but Sony is too proud to admit that she needs the third parties back. So she's trying her best to be a strong single mother and make things work on her own, with what little child support she's receiving from the third parties.

USD

Sony cares more about its exclusives, it just happens that the bulk of the PS3's exclusives this fall are first-party.

shidoshi said:
Sony cared about third parties, but then she accidentally picked up on a call one night from Microsoft to the third parties. And Sony was all, "Honey, are you cheating on me??" and the third parties were all, "Really, baby, it doesn't mean anything, it was just a cheap one night stand."

But then Sony followed the third parties home from work one night, and found them going to a motel to meet up with Microsoft, and heard the third parties say to MS, "Seriously, I'm going to divorce Sony soon... I promise!"

So when the third parties got home, Sony was there crying, and was like, "I can't believe you'd do this to me! I should have known you were cheating when you weren't putting as much effort into your ports and multi-platform games for me as you used to! I don't need you anymore!" and kicked the third parties out.

Now, though, Sony realizes that she still loves the third parties, and wants to continue making babies with them and creating a happy family, but Sony is too proud to admit that she needs the third parties back. So she's trying her best to be a strong single mother and make things work on her own, with what little child support she's receiving from the third parties.

:lol

Gold star.

Oblivion

Link316 said:
they can rely on it long enough until MS gives up on the 360

You really feel PS2 will be selling that well in the next 3 or whatever years? Yeah yeah, $99 price point and whatnot, but they're gonna hit a wall sooner or later.

besada

Banned
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
What is wrong with GAF today?

That being said i look forward to the "Why do people buy the 360 - It's gunna break anyways" thread.

We laready got the "Why do people like Wii?" I'm expecting the 4,067th "What makes Halo Special" thread followed by another three "Where's the MP3 Hype" articles so the Wiisters don't feel left out.

Master Z

I'd rather Sony spend that money promoting their new IP's like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted. New IP's need all the exposure they can get.

cicatriz

shidoshi said:

But Sony knew she had gotten a bit wide and fat and that Microsoft was this sleek, sexy young console, so she followed the third parties home from work one night, and found them going to a motel to meet up with Microsoft, and heard the third parties say to MS, "Seriously, I'm going to divorce Sony soon... I promise!"

A brief look inside the mind of someone who doesn't own a PS3

justjohn

Red Blaster said:
On topic: Nope.

I wish Sony still had aggression they did back in the early days of the PSOne.
yep. they seem kinda mellow these days compared the old sony that courted square enix and konami for mgs and final fantasy

Haunted

bud said:
sony produced the best selling blu-ray gamesconsole - why should they care?
:lol

shidoshi said:

:lol :lol

thread delivers the funny.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ParticleReality said:
Sony doesn't have to worry about getting people not to worry about their systems breaking. Microsoft does.

Nintendo fans should have used this as a rally cry in yesteryear

cicatriz said:
A brief look inside the mind of someone who doesn't own a PS3

A brief look inside the mind of someone with no humor gland.

Seriously, no aspersions were cast on the state of the PS3. Live, laugh, and love.

felipeko

Red Blaster said:
On topic: Nope.

I wish Sony still had aggression they did back in the early days of the PSOne.
You mean, when 3rd parties wanted to leave Nintendo and had nowhere to go but PS1? (and that multicore freak Saturn)

And let's talk about how Sony cared with 3rd parties being the system with the bigger userbase.. You mean, all Sony had to do was "you can sell a lot more here".

Now that Sony doesn't have any advantages you guys ask why Sony doesn't care?
I think Sony still cares the same, Sony want all the support it can get. But it was never up to Sony. It was always up to 3rd parties, and now i don't feel like most 3rd parties are willing to risk rivers of money on this low selling and expensive to develop console, that is the Sony PS3.

Odrion

Banned
Kabouter said:
No, Sony doesn't care about third parties. In fact, they don't care about their PlayStation business. They just sit in their offices every day and fling feces at pictures of Microsoft executives while they think of new mindboggling PR statements.
With the ways things are going, you never know.

Oblivion

felipeko said:
You mean, when 3rd parties wanted to leave Nintendo and had nowhere to go but PS1? (and that multicore freak Saturn)

And let's talk about how Sony cared with 3rd parties being the system with the bigger userbase.. You mean, all Sony had to do was "you can sell a lot more here".

Now that Sony doesn't have any advantages you guys ask why Sony doesn't care?
I think Sony still cares the same, Sony want all the support it can get. But it was never up to Sony. It was always up to 3rd parties, and now i don't feel like most 3rd parties are willing to risk rivers of money on this low selling and expensive to develop console, that is the Sony PS3.

QFT. Finally, someone that gets it. I always get annoyed when people think it's the manufacturer 'not trying hard enough' or 'not learning their lessons' or whatever.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So MS goes "listen we'll pay for your advertisement, you put our logo on at the end"
EA "MONEY!!!"
SONY "30 FPS, you bastards! Where is 989 sports damn it! 4D is a commeth"
EA "MONEY!!!"

GrayFoxPL

mabuza said:
so what is sony playing at? do they even care? seriously these are the biggest casual games out there and you expect them to be a bit more aggresive but seems like they've given up.
wtf sony wake the fuck up, you getting your ass kicked

cat-had-a-rough-night.jpg

Zzzz....Whhaa?..Oh....care...tomorrow...promise...ZZzz....beer...moar....Zzzz....

Ploid 3.0

Oblivion said:
Erm..just a guess -and I'm just throwing this out here, btw- but it might have to do with the fact that they want to sell that thar new machine they made recently.

My uncle is a big ea sports /sports games fan and got PS2 at launch to get madden, but he stuck with PS2 for NCAA08 and now sticking with it for Madden 08. Some of my friends are too. And they want PS3 I have not encouraged any of them to want one or talked console to any of them. I only got my ps3 because I got it cheap. After getting PS2 at launch I knew to wait for PS3 (less games and such near launch). People are well able to wait if they put the next madden on PS2 still. They get their precious roster upgrades that normal madden expansion packs give. Yes I bought madden 07(what was I thinking), ncaa08 for ps3. Going to avoid this madden though.

PS2 isn't a bad console to still have as your main. Lot of great games on it and the sport games are still released on it, what more can you ask for if you're into roster updates/sport expansion packs.

puebla

well put

Top Bottom