• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does sony even care about third parties anymore?

B-Ri

knitoe said:
It's simple:

Not being market leader + your system selling poorly = 3rd parties going somewhere else.

So, how do you spin this bad news. Do what Nintendo has done for years. "We don't need 3rd parties." Totally, going against the success of PS1 & PS2.

im sorry but as much as 360s 11 million are relevant (i still wanna know how many of those are DOA), the 4 million on PS3, and whoever million on Wii cannot be ignored by publishers and developers. The differences arent in the multiples of tens of millions like it was PS2 vs xbox vs gc. The war is not over.

Even then the Xbox got its great titles (ng, kotors, ect), and the GC (RE4)

:lol @ those who think sony will be given any preferential treatment after the ps3 bombs this fall/winter. ea isn't gonna lead anything on ps3. there will be no reason to. they are going into christmas with a $600 machine AGAIN. games be damned. no ones paying $600 for jak and lair. give it a rest. they f'd themselves out of the market. i wouldn't be surprised if rockstas was watching this months npd like a hawk to see how madden performs on the 360 and sends gta4 out on time.

knitoe

B-Ri said:
im sorry but as much as 360s 11 million are relevant (i still wanna know how many of those are DOA), the 4 million on PS3, and whoever million on Wii cannot be ignored by publishers and developers. The differences arent in the multiples of tens of millions like it was PS2 vs xbox vs gc. The war is not over.

Even then the Xbox got its great titles (ng, kotors, ect), and the GC (RE4)

Did I say it was over? If Sony gets back into driver seat, the idea about them not needing 3rd parties will magically disappear and 3rd party alliance will be promoted extensively. As of right now, it's PR spinning the about lossing 3rd support as lead console.

Just don't see how Sony will catch up anytime soon. With X360 / Wii lineup this holiday, the gap will only widen. What month do you think Sony sale more than the X360?

B-Ri

knitoe said:
Did I say it was over? If Sony gets back into driver seat, the idea about them not needing 3rd parties will magically disappear and 3rd party alliance will be promoted extensively. As of right now, it's PR spinning the about lossing 3rd support as lead console.

Just don't see how Sony will catch up anytime soon. With X360 / Wii lineup this holiday, the gap will only widen. What month do you think Sony sale more than the X360?

you are really brushing over all the super great titles sonys studios are pulling out this winter. a LOT of great retail and PSN titles.

What month will sony sell more? no idea. Will it happen? no idea? but if the gap continues to be no more bigger then 4 or 5 million then were going to be seeing a lot more multiplat titles than anything, and its first party studios that will make peoples alligences. Sony so far has got me with their fall lineup

knitoe said:
I vote for July. If it doesn't happen then, it won't be happening anytime soon.

one month out of 12 will mean NOTHING. first party titles won't catapult them into the lead. if that were the case saturn would have beat psone. dreamcast would have beat ps2. you need to be well rounded. 360 has it in 360 degrees. :D

B-Ri

WasteLand Soldier said:
one month out of 12 will mean NOTHING. first party titles won't catapult them into the lead. if that were the case saturn would have beat psone. dreamcast would have beat ps2. you need to be well rounded. 360 has it in 360 degrees. :D

so both of the halos did nothing for the xbox?

knitoe

B-Ri said:
you are really brushing over all the super great titles sonys studios are pulling out this winter. a LOT of great retail and PSN titles.

The only titles that I am buying this holiday are Heavenly Sword & Uncharted. And, I wouldn't call them system sellers. I don't believe any download content, either on PSN, LIVE and Wii, will sale systems either. So, what "super great title(s)" will get people into the store, put $600 down and walk out in masses with PS3 this holiday?

nofi

knitoe said:
The only titles that I am buying this holiday are Heavenly Sword & Uncharted. And, I wouldn't call them system sellers. I don't believe any download content, either on PSN, LIVE and Wii, will sale systems either. So, what "super great title(s)" will get people into the store, put $600 down and walk out with PS3 this holiday?

GT 5 P. Believe, etc.

B-Ri

knitoe said:
The only titles that I am buying this holiday are Heavenly Sword & Uncharted. And, I wouldn't call them system sellers. I don't believe any download content, either on PSN, LIVE and Wii, will sale systems either. So, what "super great title(s)" will get people into the store, put $600 down and walk out in masses with PS3 this holiday?

60GB arent gone yet, HELL, 20gb are still out there! Call it $600 all you want but it comes with a game and extra controller, what most people were going to buy anyway. 60gb arent gone whatsoever.

Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, LBP, Wipeout HD, Lair (cause reguardless of EGM, people are still going to buy this) socom confrontation, the list goes on, and i dont want to play listwars. Games are still coming to the damn system.

B-Ri

WasteLand Soldier said:
has lair gotten good reviews? no. halo did. has jak ever out sold halo? i don't think it has. deluded? right. get real.

Wait wait wait, so lair sucks cause it got a 5.5 and a 9.0? We still have no average grasp on the game whatsoever.

Did halo get good reviews? Sure, did they deserve them? IMO no, cause it didnt do anything new for the genre whatsoever. Halo can sell all it wants, it doesnt make it a better quality game then MGS3, or DMC3.

Steroyd

WasteLand Soldier said:
has lair gotten good reviews? no. halo did. has jak ever out sold halo? i don't think it has. deluded? right. get real.

What's good reviews got to do with it selling?

And what the hell constitutes to a system seller?
I mean Gears of war sold well, but wasn't a system seller, yet a lesser critically acclaimed game called Nintendogs sold DS's like hotcakes.

FightyF

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
The PS2 version will probably still outsell Madden 08 360, so I doubt Sony has anything to worry about, to be honest.

Pretty much. The only concern is whether the 360 will widen a gap between itself and the PS3. I don't think it'll widen at all. Reduced price, plus the fact that it's a BluRay player, and the 1st party lineup this Fall, should mean sales matching, if not exceeding, the 360s.

knitoe

B-Ri said:
60GB arent gone yet, HELL, 20gb are still out there! Call it $600 all you want but it comes with a game and extra controller, what most people were going to buy anyway. 60gb arent gone whatsoever.

Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, LBP, Wipeout HD, Lair (cause reguardless of EGM, people are still going to buy this) socom confrontation, the list goes on, and i dont want to play listwars. Games are still coming to the damn system.

My bad. I assume 20/60GB version would have been sold out by the holiday season. If they weren't, is that good news for Sony?

Sorry, but none of the games you listed are "SUPER GREAT TITLES." Maybe, good/great, but SUPER means in league with Halo, Mario, MGS, FF and etc.

B-Ri

knitoe said:
My bad. I assume 20/60GB version would have been sold out by the holiday season. If they weren't, is that good news for Sony?

Sorry, but none of the games you listed are "SUPER GREAT TITLES." Maybe, good/great, but SUPER means in league with Halo, Mario, MGS, FF and etc.

Wipeout is underappreciated, and Pure really reignited my interest in the series.

Uncharted cant be ignored, it looks amazing and seems to have all the great gameplay features that are really breaking ground this generation. Every franchise has to start SOMEWHERE. Just like Halo did, just like MGS did, just like FF did. You cant deny a game cause it isnt a sequel to a successful game.

Halo didnt start out that way.

Metriod Prime was amazing, but 2 blew.

Bioshock is only a spiritual successor to the systemshock series, by a developer that isnt HUGELY known like Kojima Prod, or Bungie, but god be damned if it ISNT a serious GOTY potential.

Also 2 of the 4 you listed as SUPER BIG are exclusive on PS3, so i guess PS3 has better odds by said logic?

FightyF

Banned
I don't like the visual direction WipeOut is heading. I'd rather have the CG look of the intros on the PSX versions, than the almost cel-shaded look of the PSP versions.

Just had to share that. :p

knitoe

B-Ri said:
Wipeout is underappreciated, and Pure really reignited my interest in the series.

It's nice that you are interested in Wipeout, but you really think it's going sale many copies and/or push PS3s?

B-Ri said:
Uncharted cant be ignored, it looks amazing and seems to have all the great gameplay features that are really breaking ground this generation.

I already said Uncharted with be a great game. It's 1/2 games I am getting for the PS3, but it's not doing anything revolutionary. It will sale well, but below X360 great titles, Bioshock, Mass Effect and etc.

B-Ri said:
Also 2 of the 4 you listed as SUPER BIG are exclusive on PS3, so i guess PS3 has better odds by said logic?

Right. Too bad they won't be out until sometime 2008. Remember, we are talking about 2007 holiday.

B-Ri

knitoe said:
It's nice that you are interested in Wipeout, but you really think it's going sale many copies and/or push PS3s?

I already said Uncharted with be a great game. It's 1/2 games I am getting for the PS3, but it's not doing anything revolutionary. It will sale well, but below X360 great titles, Bioshock, Mass Effect and etc.

Right. Too bad they won't be out until sometime 2008. Remember, we are talking about 2007 holiday.

It sold on PSP. To think its not going to increase sales because there IS a fanbase for the game is silly to think. Bioshock and Mass Effect are the only reason i bought a 360, but everything else on the system can go away. People buy systems for only 1 game, to think people are JUST going to do it for Bioshock and Mass Effect (games that cater to more of a hardcore audience), and not games like Wipeout, LBP, or Uncharted is silly.

And once again, just cause something sells more isnt a direct indication of its quality whatsoever. Me as a gamer, if theyre pushing more into the game for it to sell more, great for me, no nickle and diming me please for oblivion mini expansions.

Will every game push system sales through the roof? no. Will games together? Yes. All 3 systems have some great quality titles coming out, that cant be denied, which SOME people do here, and will all have a GREAT impact on the sales of each console.

FightyF

Banned
With all this talk of system sellers, you really have to factor in price of the consoles.

A game like Wii Sports can sell $250 consoles...but could it sell $400+ consoles? Probably not.

Halo 2 sold a $199 (IIRC) console. Can Halo 3 move a $399 console?

I really don't think Drake or Wipeout HD would move a $499 console. What matters most to consumers is a growing future library and the fact that it can play BluRay movies.

MGS, GT, those games move consoles no matter what the price, but Drake? Wipeout HD, which is a remake, not even a complete next gen version? I don't think so.

Top Bottom