• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Just Stares At Wall After His Rescue Fell Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
I dont think any animal deserves it, but the world would be a better place without this breed.

Bullshit. If the breed didn't exist, those same shitty owners would just be ruining another breed. Like when those same shitty owners used to overwhelmingly buy rottweilers back in the 90's, and rottweilers were the "bad breed."

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
All dogs we ever owned were rescued precisely because of stories like this. We've only ever had bad experience with one (of five in total) and that one just required more training and was fine afterwards. I'm on the other side of the world, though, so sadly out of reach of this one I'm afraid.

Nothing wrong with pit bulls in the right hands, just like with any dog.

Pit bulls can do more damage that other dogs, but again, it comes down to the owner and their willingness to put in the work.

Anarky

Banned
It looks like some sort of bull terrier variant and in my opinion should be put down. I don't understand why anyone would have that type of breed, and a rescue version with whatever doggy psychosis that one has isn't going to to be any better. I'd have a national programme to get rid of all those sort of dogs I personally hate them.

If people need a pet dog why not restrict it to breeds/sizes that aren't generally capable of doing serious harm?

And the award for worst post I've seen today is...

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like some sort of bull terrier variant and in my opinion should be put down. I don't understand why anyone would have that type of breed, and a rescue version with whatever doggy psychosis that one has isn't going to to be any better. I'd have a national programme to get rid of all those sort of dogs I personally hate them.

If people need a pet dog why not restrict it to breeds/sizes that aren't generally capable of doing serious harm?
:|

Krejlooc

Banned
Pit bulls can do more damage that other dogs

Again, this is just a myth. A mastiff, for example, would fuck a pit bull up due to sheer size. If we're talking about temperamental breeds, dalmatians are one of the most temperamental around, usually more so than pit bulls, and they are typically larger too. But people don't go around talking about how dangerous dalmatians are. Probably because they have had disney movies hyping them up for like 60 years.

The Adder

Banned
And anyone saying the issue is the owner not the breed needs to explain why no chihuahua's are recorded as killing children versus the number of rotweilers, bull terriers, etc.

2 reasons.

1. Chihuahua's aren't big enough or built correctly to manage it. An angry dachshund, for example, will fuck your shit up. Chihuahuas aren't built sturdy enough.

2. No one decides to train a Chihuahua as an attack dog.

You're saying you want my lovely staffy put down. Because you personally don't like them.

Fuck off, you callous swine.

Edit: I realise that reaction might be a bit intense, but I spend almost every day I have off driving around with my dog, going to the beach with him and playing with him. In the last few months alone I've spent 1k on medical bills because he had bladder and skin infections.

I've spent thousands across his life, since I adopted him at 4 years old (he's around 9 now) because he has had benign tumors on his sides which would hurt him when he lays down. His previous owner just ignored them.

After all of this, and being overfed/neglected by his previous owner, he's been the most gentle, loyal and somewhat stubborn dog I've ever had, and I've owned 4 before him. 3 boxers and a foxxy.

So saying you want him to die because of his breed. It's despicable.

AkumaNiko

Nothing wrong with pit bulls in the right hands, just like with any dog.

Pit bulls can do more damage that other dogs, but again, it comes down to the owner and their willingness to put in the work.

actually thats incorrect, the rottweiler jaw has more biting power per square inch of their mouth than a pit does. my mom has a rot and shes the sweetest thing on earth.

No I'm saying I wish it didn't exist.

Okay here's what I want you to do:

Read your post aloud. Say the part about an actual breed of canine species NOT EXISTING. Then try to justify your argument on a message board of largely rational people based on factual evidence.

MechaX

This pretty much eliminates every dog type that is above like 40 pounds regardless of breed. Almost every dog breed is "generally capable" of doing serious harm (with shitty or incompetent owners).

And anyone saying the issue is the owner not the breed needs to explain why no chihuahua's are recorded as killing children versus the number of rotweilers, bull terriers, etc.
Everytime someone has told me about a dog attacking them or giving them a scar, it's been a small dog like a chihuahua or a boston terrier, usually going for the face.

Small dogs can kill people if given the time, but they're usually small enough to pull off or push away after only a little damage is done. A golden retriever could, and probably has, killed someone before, and they're usually just as big as rottweilers. Bigger dogs, bigger mouth. Smaller dogs would have to put more work in.

The most vicious dogs I've known have been small dogs, but they are usually pulled away before real damage is done. You can't pull back a full grown pit bull unless you're really strong.

But most owners of big dogs who have hurt people are shitty owners who don't bother training the dog to not attack (because it take actual real effort), or don't bother trying to stop the dog, because that's how they want them to be.

It comes back to the owner. Stronger dog breeds are chosen by bad people because they're strong and big and look tough and make the owner seem cooler and more badass.

It's not the breed's fault.
Again, this is just a myth. A mastiff, for example, would fuck a pit bull up due to sheer size. If we're talking about temperamental breeds, dalmatians are one of the most temperamental around, usually more so than pit bulls, and they are typically larger too. But people don't go around talking about how dangerous dalmatians are. Probably because they have had disney movies hyping them up for like 60 years.
Yes, this. I was trying to remember which breed I read was the most tempermental.

actually thats incorrect, the rottweiler jaw has more biting power per square inch of their mouth than a pit does. my mom has a rot and shes the sweetest thing on earth.

I meant in terms of smaller (and by smaller I mean much smaller) breeds.

I would say you're laughably uninformed, but this is a serious issue that has horrible consequences for countless dogs, so perhaps pathetically uninformed would be best here? Pitbulls are amazing animals, fantastic around kids, and make great family dogs. Like anything, they're a product of their environment. When poorly treated, issues arise. The fact that they have more energy than some breeds doesn't make them more predisposed to what would be considered bad or dangerous behavior. The perception of pitbulls that America has is borderline disgusting.

Macleoid

you'd be okay with dogs that are like my dog being rounded up and killed because of their breed and not because they exhibited the slightest signs of aggression

pretty disturbing

also i guess you think all of these should have been wiped out too, along with all the other bully breeds that have done well in therapy dog programs

I'm not a sadist and I'd be happy with a mandatory sterilisation programme and a phased programme. I'm not saying I think anyone should have their pet taken off them, I just don't see why as a society we should allow people to have more of the breeds of dog that have have the potential to cause serious damage.

Your list of links is ridiculous. I was going to respond with a list of children hurt by the bull terriers but honestly what I looked up upset me enough that I didn't want to go any further.

You really don't think that the benefits derived by the people in those links couldn't have been derived by contact/interaction with a Yorkshire Terrier?

curlycare

Chihuahuas with their egos are one of the hardest beasts to tame, but due to their small size people tend to get away with less training. And I have a BIG chihuahua.

EDIT: This right here
Everytime someone has told me about a dog attacking them or giving them a scar, it's been a small dog like a chihuahua or a boston terrier, usually going for the face.

Small dogs can kill people if given the time, but they're usually small enough to pull off or push away after only a little damage is done. A golden retriever could, and probably has, killed someone before, and they're usually just as big as rottweilers. Bigger dogs, bigger mouth. Smaller dogs would have to put more work in.

The most vicious dogs I've known have been small dogs, but they are usually pulled away before real damage is done. You can't pull back a full grown pit bull unless you're really strong.

But most owners of big dogs who have hurt people are shitty owners who don't bother training the dog to not attack (because it take actual real effort), or don't bother trying to stop the dog, because that's how they want them to be.

It comes back to the owner. Stronger dog breeds are chosen by bad people because they're strong and big and look tough and make the owner seem cooler and more badass.

It's not the breed's fault.

Yes, this. I was trying to remember which breed I read was the most tempermental.

Redd

I'm not a sadist and I'd be happy with a mandatory sterilisation programme and a phased programme. I'm not saying I think anyone should have their pet taken off them, I just don't see why as a society we should allow people to have more of the breeds of dog that have have the potential to cause serious damage.

Your list of links is ridiculous. I was going to respond with a list of children hurt by the bull terriers but honestly what I looked up upset me enough that I didn't want to go any further.

You really don't think that the benefits derived by the people in those links couldn't have been derived by contact/interaction with a Yorkshire Terrier?

Shitty owners would just move to another breed like a bull mastiff or cane corso or even back to dobermans and rottweilers. Your punishing a whole breed because bad owners want their fighting dogs.

I totally get the argument that certain breeds are owned by the sort of people that cause trouble. And unless there is a massively restrictive dog ownership programme (which I'd totally be in favour off) then a whole lot of different people will own dogs. But a lot of fatal dog attacks are committed by the dogs of extended family members, it's not your bull terrier that mauls your four year old it's grannie's or uncle's.

part of the reason is that most of the available statistics about dog bites are pulled straight from reports from the media

http://stubbydog.org/2012/05/pit-bulls-by-the-numbers/

What do you do when you read a news story that claims pit bulls make up only 5 percent of the dog population but account for a third or even half of the dog bite related fatalities? Where did these numbers come from, and are they accurate? Here, we examine the truth behind these commonly quoted studies and what the other side is leaving out.

Some of the most frequently cited statistics come from the Center for Disease Control’s Special Report on fatal human dog attacks between 1979 and 1998. The report attributes a third of the fatalities between 1981 – 1992 to “pit-bull type dogs,” but what the other side fails to include is that the report comes with many warnings about its “statistics”:

•First, let’s look at where the CDC and other studies get their information: You guessed it – largely from media accounts. Of course, the media reports on pit bull-related incidents far more than those involving other types of dogs, a fact clearly detailed in the Canine Research Council’s publication, “The Pit Bull Placebo,” and the ASPCA’s “Pit Bull Bias in the Media.” Another commonly cited source, the anti-pit bull website Dogsbite.org, also sites studies that use press accounts to compile their numbers.

• Aside from the fact the collection methods were faulty, the CDC study notes that guessing a dog’s breed is just that, a guess. And what’s more, people are influenced by a dog’s reputation and may attribute breed to a dog involved in an incident based on that rather than any real knowledge. To quote the report: “ to the extent that attacks by 1 breed are more newsworthy than those by other breeds, our methods may have resulted in differential ascertainment of fatalities by breed. … Because identification of a dog’s breed may be subjective (even experts may disagree on a breed of a particular dog), DBRF [dog bite related fatalities] may be differentially ascribed to breeds with a reputation for aggression.” It gets muddier from there, considering that “pit-bull type dogs” are not a breed at all but a type encompassing several breeds and mixes that resemble those breeds. This means you have a very loose category of dogs that it’s easy for people to miss-identify.

• Sites like Dogsbite.org like to claim that pit bulls only make up 5 percent of the total dog population in the United States and are therefore “attacking” at a much higher rate than other dogs, but the truth is that there are no accurate statistics kept on the total number of dogs in this country, let alone dogs by type. The CDC clearly states this on its website: “There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.” And while it’s anyone’s guess exactly how many pit bull type dogs there are in this country, it’s clear from looking around most cities, neighborhoods and shelters that dogs labeled as pit bulls are far more common than 5 percent.

• Of course, there are even more factors to consider. The CDC study begins at the same time pit bulls’ “Evolution of a Bad Rap” started. Prior to that, according to “The Pit Bull Placebo,” pit bulls were nowhere to be found on bite lists. “In a 10-year span, from 1966 – 1975, there is only one documented case of a fatal dog attack in the United States by a dog which could even remotely be identified as a ‘Pit bull,’ ” writes the book’s author, Karen Delise. (And there are no incidents to date of a spayed/neutered indoor family pit bull ever having killed anyone.)

• It’s also important to note which types of dogs are listed as responsible for bites or fatalities changes over time, depending on which types of dogs are popular for negative functions, such as guarding, at that time. The CDC report also discusses this: “Breeds responsible for DBRF have varied over time. … As ascertained from our data, between 1979 and 1980, Great Danes caused the most reported human DBRF. … Since 1975, dogs belonging to more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people, including Dachshunds, a Yorkshire Terrier, and a Labrador Retriever.” (It’s also key to point out that you are more likely to be killed by lightening than a dog, and dog bites are at historic lows.)

• The CDC report concludes that many factors contribute to whether a dog bites or not and recommends breed-neutral laws that focus on owner responsibility and individual dog behavior rather than breed-discriminatory legislation.

What’s the take home message of all this? It’s important to question statistics related to how many pit bulls there are in the United States and how often they bite for all the reasons listed above. And, if you’re in need of some positive statistics, consider this: Temperament evaluations by the American Temperament Test Society give American Pit Bull Terriers an extremely high passing rate of 82.6 percent. The average passing rate for the other 121 breeds of dogs tested was 77 percent. Pit bulls share their homes with all types of people – from celebrities to senators to everyday families like you and me. They work as search and rescue dogs, therapy dogs and service dogs, and they are our faithful companions and best friends.

Animal control officers across the country have told the ASPCA that when they alert the media to a dog attack, news outlets respond that they have no interest in reporting on the incident unless it involved a pit bull. A quantitative study by the National Canine Research Council of dog-bite reportage in a four-day period proves that anti-pit bull bias in the media is more than just a theory—it’s a fact.

August 18, 2007—A Labrador mix attacked a 70-year-old man, sending him to the hospital in critical condition. Police officers arrived at the scene and the dog was shot after charging the officers.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

August 19, 2007—A 16-month-old child received fatal head and neck injuries after being attacked by a mixed-breed dog.
This attack was reported on twice by the local paper.

August 20, 2007—A six-year-old boy was hospitalized after having his ear torn off and receiving a severe bite to the head by a medium-sized, mixed-breed dog.
This incident was reported in one article in the local paper.

August 21, 2007—A 59-year-old woman was attacked in her home by two pit bulls and was hospitalized with severe, but not fatal, injuries.
This attack was reported in over 230 articles in national and international newspapers, as well as major television news networks including CNN, MSNBC and FOX.

Along with over-reporting, false reporting is a major contributor to the public relations nightmare currently facing pit bulls. There is an emerging tendency for all short-haired, stocky dogs to be called pit bulls—and when a dangerous dog’s breed is unknown, the media is not above assuming that the dog involved must have been a pit bull. The National Canine Resource Council terms this phenomenon “Everything is a pit bull, whether it is or not.” In the rush to publish, the pit bull label is often inaccurately applied—and even if a correction is later made, the damage is done. Not all media bias is necessarily intentional, but it forms an impression on the public and on legislators nonetheless.

some other factors that have a more substantial impact on aggression than what a dog looks like:

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/stop-animal-abuse/fact-sheets/dog-bites.html

• An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year
  • Nearly 800,000 dog bites require medical care
  • Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered
  • Approximately 25% of fatal dog attacks involved chained dogs
  • Approximately 71% of bites occur to the extremities (arms, legs, hands, feet)
  • Approximately two-thirds of bites occurred on or near the victim’s property, and most victims knew the dog
  • The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year
  • At least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in the 238 dog-bite-related fatalities in the U.S.
  • Approximately 24% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property
  • Approximately 58% of human deaths involved unrestrained dogs on their owners’ property

Krejlooc

Banned
I meant in terms of smaller (and by smaller I mean much smaller) breeds.

But that's not saying anything at all. Of course a bigger dog can do more damage than a smaller dog. Among dogs similar in size, Pit Bulls aren't particularly strong or deadly. Consider why police use german shepherds, for example, a breed that is similar in size to pit bulls.

Now, what is true is that dog fighting owners purposefully breed stupid dogs. Which is to say that they breed dogs that display little self preservation. Why? Because smart dogs, when fighting another dog, will know to stop fighting to save its life. They want dog dumb enough to fight to the death.

This is selective breeding. It's not a component of the breed itself. It could happen to any fighting breed. People have bred dumb labs, dumb mastiffs, dumb whatevers.

Pit bulls are a perfectly fine breed. They get a bum wrap because of lots of misinformation thrown about.

Macleoid

This pretty much eliminates every dog type that is above like 40 pounds regardless of breed. Almost every dog breed is "generally capable" of doing serious harm (with shitty or incompetent owners).

Well if I wanted a breed of cat that weighed around 23kg then I would be subject to a whole bunch of specific restrictions. So I don't see why dogs are a special case. I totally wouldn't have anyone's existing let put down, but I'd restrict breeding and have a cut off and future control.

Nikodemos

Man, I'm not a dog lover myself, yet I find this thread to contain some impressively stupid shit. Eliminating an entire breed? WTF is this shit.

Besides, with pitbulls gone, what would stop fucktards from ruining rottweilers again, like in the '90s, or dobermans, like in the '80s?

Krejlooc

Banned
Well if I wanted a breed of cat that weighed around 23kg then I would be subject to a whole bunch of specific restrictions. So I don't see why dogs are a special case.

Because dogs bond with humans unlike any other animals that exist. They have evolved over tens of thousands of years to display many mental pathways that we have. They do not have our complex emotions that develop past 2 or 3 years of age, but they share many of our basic emotions.

Why are large dogs ok but large cats not? Because, thanks to genetic factors, large dogs will yield to authority in ways that other large animals will not. You do not have to teach a dog to find a master and obey them, they do that naturally.

The reason pit Bulls are more dangerous than the other large breeds people are mentioning is that they are terriers. Terriers are headstrong, hard to train, need frequent retraining, and can be hard to control even when trained.

I don't think the breed should be eliminated or anything like that, but I DO think owners should be required to take some certification program or required to submit their animal to a period of mandatory training. That could go for a lot of breeds, maybe any breed over 50lbs.

We have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is similar to a pit bull.
He's a big baby and cries when he is away from us for too long.

Seeing these types of dogs being mass neglected because of their reputation is so depressing.
Its one of the few things that really gets me upset.

Fuck the people who use them as guard dogs or for status.

213372bu

Banned
I dont think any animal deserves it, but the world would be a better place without this breed. Not that I'm advocating the death of any animal.

Lol, what?

Pitbulls are loyal and are headstrong in what you train them.

That and their physique/jawline is what makes people who abuse them or use them in fights get a bad rep.

Many dog trainers swear by pitbulls as being loyal and lovable.

As long as they are not being abused, they are perfectly safe even around small children.

This thread is so full of shit jesus christ.

We have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is similar to a pit bull.
He's a big baby and cries when he is away from us for too long.

Seeing these types of dogs being mass neglected because of their reputation is so depressing.
Its one of the few things that really gets me upset.

Fuck the people who use them as guard dogs or for status.
Do you have any pics of your dog because he sounds adorable

But that's not saying anything at all. Of course a bigger dog can do more damage than a smaller dog. Among dogs similar in size, Pit Bulls aren't particularly strong or deadly. Consider why police use german shepherds, for example, a breed that is similar in size to pit bulls.

Now, what is true is that dog fighting owners purposefully breed stupid dogs. Which is to say that they breed dogs that display little self preservation. Why? Because smart dogs, when fighting another dog, will know to stop fighting to save its life. They want dog dumb enough to fight to the death.

This is selective breeding. It's not a component of the breed itself. It could happen to any fighting breed. People have bred dumb labs, dumb mastiffs, dumb whatevers.

Pit bulls are a perfectly fine breed. They get a bum wrap because of lots of misinformation thrown about.

speaking of this

Pit bull police dog defies breed's savage stereotypes

WYaR5Ur.jpg

STONE RIDGE, N.Y. (AP) — The new rookie at one New York police department weighs 60 pounds, has a big, lolling tongue, a soft caramel coat and a chance to fight stereotypes in addition to crime.

When she graduates Friday from K9 training school, Kiah will be one of just a few pit bulls to serve as a police dog. It's a job usually given to breeds that don't come with the pit bull's reputation — deserved or not — as a savage animal fit only for the company of criminals.

"The breed isn't important," said Brad Croft, who trains dogs for law enforcement and the military and found Kiah in a Texas animal shelter after her previous owner was arrested for animal cruelty. "It's what's inside of the dog that's important."

German shepherds and Belgian Malinois are most commonly employed as police and military dogs, trained to chase and detain suspects or find drugs, cadavers and missing people. Beagles, collies, retrievers and bloodhounds are also used. Pit bull police dogs are almost unheard of.

Kiah (pronounced KY'-uh) will be a sniffer for the Poughkeepsie Police Department, used to detect drugs and track missing people. She's also a goodwill ambassador, for her breed and for the police.

"She wants to work," said Kiah's handler, Officer Justin Bruzgul. "She's high-energy. Affectionate. I couldn't ask for a better partner."

Bernice Clifford, Animal Farm's director of training, noted that the term "pit bull" itself is misleading, since it is often applied to any dog with a muscular frame and block-shaped head. As a result, she said, many are condemned to shelters and euthanasia simply because they were labeled a pit bull.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, there is no evidence that laws banning particular breeds reduce dog attacks. A 2014 report from the Animals and Society Institute reviewed several years of data on fatal dog bites and found no correlation between dog attacks and breeds.

There's also little connection between a dog's breed and their aptitude for police work, according to George Carlson, the Ulster County sheriff's deputy who trained Kiah in Stone Ridge, New York. He said a dog's drive, energy and eagerness to please are more important factors.

Kiah is the only pit bull police dog that he's heard of on the East Coast, Carlson said. He calls her a "sweetheart" and expects her to excel in her new job.

"Dogs are individuals," he said. "They have their own personalities, just like people. And I'd rather train dogs than people."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Lol, what?

Pitbulls are loyal and are headstrong in what you train them.

That and their physique/jawline is what makes people who abuse them or use them in fights get a bad rep.

Many dog trainers swear by pitbulls as being loyal and lovable.

As long as they are not being abused, they are perfectly safe even around small children.

This thread is so full of shit jesus christ.

They would be among the best family pets (because of their empathy). The problem is that they were specifically bred to have trigger temperaments (so they are not good at giving off warning signs of agitation compared to other breeds, like growling, that might teach someone to take a hint and leave it alone.), to use tearing rather than clamping bites (Which are more destructive), and to be incredibly difficult to calm down from an aggressive state.

If you take away the parts of them which were bred specifically for fighting (Which are also the traits which make the breed so popular and widespread, unfortunately), they'd be up there with retrievers

Anarky

Banned
I'm not sure any news story goes into the specific training regiments of dogs. Lots of breeds that are poorly trained are less volatile than pit bulls. I feel really bad for the stigma that the breed has, there are good pitbulls.

3o7WTF7GwI4nCFXCzS.gif

Madrin

Sad stories about animals are my ultimate weak spot :(

Hopefully this story gains some traction and the dog gets adopted as a result. But even if it does, it still hurts to think about how many other sad stories there are like this that never get reported.

Macleoid

Because dogs bond with humans unlike any other animals that exist. They have evolved over tens of thousands of years to display many mental pathways that we have. They do not have our complex emotions that develop past 2 or 3 years of age, but they share many of our basic emotions.

Why are large dogs ok but large cats not? Because, thanks to genetic factors, large dogs will yield to authority in ways that other large animals will not. You do not have to teach a dog to find a master and obey them, they do that naturally.

Well according to Wikipedia 30 people in the us were killed by dogs in 2015. If we restricted ownership to small breeds I expect that number would massively reduce. No one needs a larger dog. I'm not advocating to ban them all just the big ones. Why not just get a small breed?

???

German Shepherds were bred specifically as a tool for man.

Pit Bulls were bred specifically to fight/attack other animals/dogs.

German Shepherds are used by police, military and whatever over other "attack" style dogs because they have been helping humans their entire existence so the breed is considered safe. Care to guess why most people can't stand Pitt Bulls considering what there very existence was meant for?

Well according to Wikipedia 30 people in the us were killed by dogs in 2015. If we restricted ownership to small breeds I expect that number would massively reduce. No one needs a larger dog. I'm not advocating to ban them all just the big ones. Why not just get a small breed?

Because not everyone wants a small dog? Small dogs are much more aggressive as it is, they just don't kill people because they can't do it quick enough.

I've dealt with hundreds of dogs in my life, I've been attacked only twice. By a neighbours jack Russell and by a Maltese.

Krejlooc

Banned
One of my best friend's pits:

hSRbPT1.jpg

EQMQqjU.jpg

wMhLjud.jpg

He is an absolute sweetheart. A champion breed. The catch?

His lineage goes back to michael vick. His cert is signed by vick himself

No, he's not a fighting dog, that's inhumane. He got the dog through the grapevine when it was a puppy, which was right around the time he went to jail. The dog got passed along by some shitty people who didn't want it until my friend sort of defaulted to the dog. The dog is so sweet, I've never even heard it growl before.

Krejlooc

Banned
???

German Shepherds were bred specifically as a tool for man.

Pit Bulls were bred specifically to fight/attack other animals/dogs.

German Shepherds are used by police, military and whatever over other "attack" style dogs because they have been helping humans their entire existence so the breed is considered safe. Care to guess why most people can't stand Pitt Bulls considering what there very existence was meant for?

Boy that spin. The Pit bull breed dates back to dogs that were trained to "bull" bears for protection. They were tools of man, as all breeds or originally. Pit bulls as a specific fighting breed only goes back about 100 years.

Funny that you think a police dog isn't a tool used to attack.

Because A) Large dogs still have utility and B) large dogs overwhelmingly are not a threat.

213372bu

Banned
They would be among the best family pets (because of their empathy). The problem is that they were specifically bred to have trigger temperaments (so they are not good at giving off warning signs of agitation compared to other breeds, like growling, that might teach someone to take a hint and leave it alone.), to use tearing rather than clamping bites (Which are more destructive), and to be incredibly difficult to calm down from an aggressive state.

If you take away the parts of them which were bred specifically for fighting (Which are also the traits which make the breed so popular and widespread, unfortunately), they'd be up there with retrievers

The thing is that their trigger temperaments are extremely less likely as long you train your dog right.

Have had a Pitbull for a while now and have known one for a long while before.

They can be the calmest dogs, even when being harassed by kids.

It's a shame that their reputation puts such a target on them and causes many of them to be put down in shelters.

It leads to people literally saying they'd put a coalition to put down any pitbull variants "of a certain size". Like, what?

The Adder

Banned

Because small breeds behave differently from large breeds. They're generally more tempramental and territorial. They're incredibly jealous. They don't play well with children. And they have no damn chill until they're old.

Not all breeds of small dog, I would assume, but every one I've ever dealt with. And that's a lot of dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom