• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't unplug your PS4 while it is on

chekhonte

Yeah, and I always think "damn those messages are dumb, who can be stupid enough to do that?"...

It's common practice for people to just hit a power strip to completely turn off all that junk that drains power in 'rest' mode. Contemporary electronics are horrible power drainers when they're "off"

hwy_61

Banned
Still, OP is simply trying to share an experience to warn others. Even though it's stated in other places and you might already know this it doesn't change the fact that OP is trying to be nice here and the replies are pretty mean spirited.

It's harmless ball busting. Don't be so sensitive.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Disappointed OP didn't put PSA in topic title.

Zabka

Hey guys! Don't jump off your couch and spike your phone like a football. It could break!

GoodnaturedLazyHornshark.gif

hwy_61

Banned
I'm just sharing my opinions like anyone else here, I was just wondering why so many replies seamed to be negative. It's like one person decides to be sarcastic and mean so it gives others the motivation to tag along. I'm just trying to put myself in OP's shoes and I don't think I would like this kind of reaction to trying to be helpful is all.

Oh Jesus Christ.

kyser73

I'm just sharing my opinions like anyone else here, I was just wondering why so many replies seamed to be negative. It's like one person decides to be sarcastic and mean so it gives others the motivation to tag along. I'm just trying to put myself in OP's shoes and I don't think I would like this kind of reaction to trying to be helpful is all.

You must be new to the Internet.

chekhonte

Are you people really defending this? It's abhorrent that a console can't survive a sudden power failure with out losing your data.

This is horrible design.

Zabka

Are you people really defending this? It abhorrent that a console survive a sudden power failure with out losing your data.

This is horrible design.

It sounds like he pulled the plug during a firmware update. No device would handle that well.

jediyoshi

I'm just sharing my opinions like anyone else here, I was just wondering why so many replies seamed to be negative.

'Why' they're negative? To what degree can something be alerted to you before you don't find there to be a need for someone to make a PSA regarding it?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
isn't this basic knoweldge of any electronic device

This could turn into alot of . posts...

Sorry OP, but I do believe this is basic knowledge. Especially if you typed this from a PC.

Are you people really defending this? It's abhorrent that a console can't survive a sudden power failure with out losing your data.

This is horrible design.

It's not "design". It's intended to protect/warn against accidental power outages. That the OP is, knowing that, turning around and doing it intentionally multiple times is just dumb.

fernoca

I think people wouldn't be as "hard" on the OP, if he was a new owner. But OP has been with a PS4 for over 2 years and it seems wasn't aware of what Rest Mode does, despite all the warnings.

Are you people really defending this? It's abhorrent that a console survive a sudden power failure with out losing your data.

This is horrible design.
No one is defending anything. OP seems to have unplugged the unit while something was updating. And it seems is not the first time he does it. Why not just shut it down fully? :p

kyser73

This is horrible design.

Yanking the power cord out is not a 'sudden power failure' it's completely contrary to advice given on the device itself, and indeed on all other electronic devices.

dottme

This is horrible design.
Most of the time you won't get any big issue. But If you do it at the wrong time, yes it is bad.

If you don't know the details, don't do it.

chekhonte

It sounds like he pulled the plug during a firmware update. No device would handle that well.

I think people wouldn't be as "hard" on the OP, if he was a new owner. But OP has been with a PS4 for over 2 years and it seems wasn't aware of what Rest Mode does, despite all the warnings.

No one is defending anything. OP seems to have unplugged the unit while something was updating. And it seems is not the first time he does it. Why not just shut it down fully? :p

He didn't say anything like that. He just said that he pulled the cord instead of turning it off.

Raist

Banned
Is this the life pro-tips thread?

I've got a few:

- Don't poke inside a socket with a metallic object
- Don't cover your food with kitchen foil before microwaving it
- Don't cover your entire head with a plastic bag

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

This is horrible design.

Power outages are scary enough. To do this intentionally is something else entirely.

RflXsyLMUJGDSOdV.medium

Here's a launch PS4 power supply, what OP and I have, but I could show any. Notice the lack of a battery as back-up power? Something was probably updating.

He didn't say anything like that. He just said that he pulled the cord instead of turning it off.

Which the console tells you not to do, mutliple times, because it can be potentially bad for the hardware. If the OP had a power outage or something out of his control, but to tempt fate and do it intentionally, and out of laziness at that, and then create a thread under the guise of offering advice of what not to do, it's no mystery why people are laughing him off.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

No i already had the latest 4.0 firmware, the PS4 just asked me to reinstall the firmware for some reason, the power cut must have corrupted a file or something i dunno. I think the PS4 ask you the same thing if you upgrade your hard drive.

Is your ps4 feeling hot durig a nice long session? Flip it upside down, just like a patty, to divert all the hotspots to the other side

kyser73

No i already had the latest 4.0 firmware, the PS4 just asked me to reinstall the firmware for some reason, the power cut must have corrupted a file or something i dunno. I think the PS4 ask you the same thing if you upgrade your hard drive.

Yup, it's on the UG for swapping an HDD over to DL the latest FW to a USB drive as you have to reinstall it when you restart with the new HDD.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Back in the PS2 era, a friend of mine was saving his Splinter Cell game. At that point I said "don't turn the console off now or it might corrupt the save data". He replied "shut up you idiot, nothing happens" and forced it off. Then he turned it on again and the save file was gone. Man it felt so good lol. There was another friend with us and he made fun of this other guy the whole night.

That sucks OP but the first time you unplug your PS4 it tell you upon startup not to unplug your PS4. It could be that this one time corrupted enough files where your PS4 just can't boot or it could be a culmination of all the times you unplugged it.

This is horrible design.

The OP did it repeatedly, it wasn't "a sudden power failure"

Top Bottom